Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 31

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You only need take them off," she whispered, leaning in closer, her hand running down my cheek, "I know you want to. She'll understand, Shepard. She knows what I want, and she'll know why you wanted me too."

I've said before, and I'll say it again, when it comes to certain women, I am a very weak-willed man. I kissed her. I kissed her hard, definitely taking her by surprise before she replied kind. One of my hands immediately went to her breasts, giving them a squeeze. Fake, but they were fantastic. I had her sports bra off rather quickly, feeling her nipples harder as I squeezed, finally breaking the kiss as she leaned back so I could use my mouth on them.

Rock hard myself, Miranda could certainly feel it underneath my shorts, already starting to grind against me as I kissed back up her chest, her neck, before kissing her again. She managed to stand up, peeling off her lycra shorts, before sitting on me again. The only thing she was now wearing were her socks and shoes. I glanced down to see only a small strip of hair above her pussy.

"I've wanted this for ages," she admitted between kisses.

"Me too," I admitted.

"Really?" she asked in surprise, leaning back, clearly shocked.

"Yeah. Our chats have been better and better, and as I admitted to you, you're fucking gorgeous. And when I find a woman gorgeous, I can accept being friends with her, but if she offers or wants something more, I'm generally not going to say no."

I stood up, and Miranda was definitely impressed that I could carry her to the nearest bench, eventually unwrapping her arms and legs. I was just about ready to go down on her when the comm line opened up.

"Commander, we are approaching the relay heading into Tuchankan airspace." Miranda and I both groaned in frustration as I now had an erection that needed to be slipped inside someone. "Once we are through the relay, approximately twenty minutes from there."

"Thank you, Joker. We'll get ready."

"Aye-aye, Commander."

I met her eyes. "I'm not just giving you a quick fuck, Miranda. This happens, it's being done properly." I paused before adding, "And I need to tell Kelly. I can't hide it from her. If she's not happy, then... it can't happen. If she doesn't mind, then we'll see how things go."

"Damn it," she muttered as she looked away.

So I made her look back at me again. "Hey, it's clear I want this too. I was eager to get you naked rather quickly, and you definitely felt my excitement."

"God yes," she whispered.

"So we're attracted, that's for sure. But there are other things that matter in all this. And I know you understand that."

"I do."

I helped her down from the bench as she walked over to collect her things, dressing quickly before we walked back to the elevator. She got out at the mess level as I headed straight to my cabin, a quick shower, before heading down to the CIC to grab my things. Some of the others were in the middle of grabbing weapons and armour. No-one gave me any funny looks, so I could only assume we hadn't been seen.

Heading forward, I looked out the front of the ship as Joker took us through the relay. Ahead in the distance was Tuchanka. "Running silent again, Commander."

"Try and avoid the patrols. I don't want anyone knowing we're here if we can. If the Council learn later that we were here, they can write an angry letter which I'll just throw out the airlock."

"Getting us there won't be a problem, Commander. But depending on how long you're down there, I may need to keep us mobile to avoid detection."

"I'll leave that in your capable hands while we're gone."

Heading back to the galaxy map, I could follow the course Joker had mapped out before kissing Kelly on the cheek. "We need to talk when I get back," I whispered.

She didn't look concerned at all. She probably already knew. "Of course, Shepard. Just don't go getting yourself injured down there."

"I love you." God, it felt a little empty saying it. I meant it. I loved her like crazy. But after...

She turned and kissed me softly on the lips. "I love you. Always will, Shepard, so hopefully that will ease your mind in regards to what you want to discuss later."

Wandering into the armoury, the rest had already headed downstairs to I grabbed my helmet, stored my weapons, swapping out the Arc Projector for a simple missile launcher, and headed downstairs to brief the team before we loaded up and headed to Tuchanka.

*****

Grunt had listened to the instructions of his commander, but his eyes were taken by the vidscreen as the shuttle bucked and weaved as it entered the atmosphere of Tuchanka. What his eyes could see, he already knew about, the implants from Okeer letting him know that his homeworld was nothing but irradiated ruins from centuries of devastating war. The krogan had once marched across the galaxy, and at their apex, they were on the verge of domination. Then came the genophage, the krogan were neutered, and now they barely survived as a species.

Shepard stated that they were headed towards the chief city of Clan Urdnot. There was nothing resembling a city from what he could see. He heard more than one disparaging comment from those around him, but while he should have been angered, they spoke only the truth. Little wonder that krogan warriors left their homeworld in droves, seeking their livelihoods in other areas of the galaxy. The prospect of anything other than scraping to survive of Tuchanka was slim.

The shuttle slowed and then started to descend, entering what he knew was an underground bunker. Thousands had been built over the centuries. First when the krogan had nuked their own world, causing a nuclear winter. More were built during the krogan rebellions and when the other species of the galaxy unleashed the genophage.

Stepping off behind Shepard, he noticed many krogan on guard, and they immediately took offence to the fact Mordin was with them. He almost laughed when Shepard told them to fuck off, the two krogan guards immediately spoiling for a fight. Shepard ignored them, simply moving on, telling Mordin to stay in the ground. If needed, he'd fight the krogan off. Grunt could only chuckle at his tone. Shepard was a man who did not fuck around.

There were no signs telling them where to go, Shepard simply wandering ahead until they exited into an enormous cavern. More krogan were standing about, and these all wore the same coloured armour. Shepard had mentioned Urdnot Wrex. Grunt searched his memories, and while the name seemed familiar, it had not been formed in his mind alongside the greater krogan names of years past, those who had helped the krogan rise into a nuclear power, or the great generals who had led the charge across the stars.

Ahead, sitting on a large mound of debris, was an enormous krogan, even larger than himself, sitting on a stone throne. He was currently in conversation with a trio of other krogan, clearly subservient to him. However, their arrival definitely sparked the interest of the krogan sitting down, lifting his head from the clenched first it had been resting against as he rose tall. "Shepard?"

Shepard raised his hand in greeting. "Hello, Wrex!"

Wrex burst into laughter, pushing the others out of his way as he jogged down the mound. "Shepard, my friend!" The two shook hands immediately and one could see this was the greeting of two warriors who had fought alongside each other. Absolute respect in a simple gesture. "You're alive!"

"That I am, old friend. It's been a long time."

Wrex laughed again, clearly delighted to see him. "I should have known that even the void couldn't keep you."

The handshake ended as Shepard stepped to the side, gesturing in their direction. "Before introductions, you should meet Grunt."

"Approach," Wrex stated with a gesture. Grunt stepped forward before stopping, coming to attention. It was almost muscle memory, what he'd been trained to do in the tank. "Grunt, you say? From which clan do you hail?"

"I have no clan. I was tank-bred by Warlord Okeer..."

Wrex glanced towards Shepard. "You have had dealings with Warlord Okeer, Shepard?" he asked, and there was a tone of malice he didn't expect.

Shepard shared an obvious glance with his colleagues. He had obviously noticed the change in tone. "Yes and no. The long and short is that I'm currently putting together a team to take on the Collectors. One of the dossiers was to recruit Warlord Okeer. The whole thing went tits up and we were left with Grunt." He paused a second. "What's the issue with Okeer?"

"Okeer is a very old name. And a much hated name. Anyone with links to Okeer is usually killed on the spot," Wrex explained.

"He's also dead, Wrex," Shepard stated.

Wrex rumbled with laughter. "Of course he is, Shepard. He met you and deserved to die." Wrex looked back at him. "So you were tank-bred and therefore clan-less. Interesting."

"I am pure krogan. You should all be standing in awe," Grunt stated, the words automatic, an implant from Okeer.

"Okeer might have told you that in your tank, whelp, but you have to prove yourself before you can be considered true krogan." Wrex looked back at Shepard. "So why have your brought him here?"

"There's something wrong with him. He's... a little messed up. In the head. I figured he just needed to get laid, but he says that isn't the problem."

Wrex leaned in and simply sniffed him before he chuckled, turning back to Shepard. "There's nothing wrong with him, Shepard. He's maturing, becoming an adult."

"There you are, Shepard. I told you we should have just take him to Omega," Zaeed stated.

"Getting him laid will help him crack one off but it isn't what he needs. Come, we will need to discuss what is to be done with him. But first..." Grunt stood to the side as Wrex approach the group. When he offered a hand to the turian, there were grumbles from the others.

"You offer your hand to a turian?" one of the krogan said.

Wrex turned around and walked towards him. "Watch your tongue, Uvenk, before I cut it out. Garrus Vakarian is worth the weight of ten krogan warriors. Saved my arse more times than I actually care to count. If there is any turian in the galaxy who is worthy of my respect, it is him. One more word out of turn, and I'll feed your arse to a thresher maw."

The handshake he shared with Garrus was friendly, respectful. The hug with Tali was rather sweet. Even Grunt could recognise how gentle he was with her. "My little friend," Wrex said softly.

"How are you, Wrex?"

"I am well, as you can see. It is good to see you again."

"You too, Wrex. It's been far too long."

"I'll introduce the rest," Shepard stating, telling him their names as Wrex offered his hand. He paused as Mordin was introduced, as the hatred the krogan had for the salarians almost outweighed the hate for the turians.

"If you're alongside Shepard then you're doing something right, salarian."

"Prospect of survival now increased. But best to remain quiet otherwise."

Wrex burst into laughter. "You do recruit some weirdo's, Shepard."

"I recruited you, didn't I?"

Wrex burst into laughter, slapping his hand friend on the shoulder. "Takes one to know one. Come, we should sit and talk. Uvenk, take a hike. I'm tired of hearing your voice. Grunt, follow me. It is time you learned the truth about your people."

"I will be heard, Urdnot Wrex. If this thing is maturing, then he will need undergo Rite of Passage."

Wrex came to a stop and turned, walking back towards the krogan. "That is true, what of it? All krogan must undergo the challenge to become true krogan."

"This is outrageous!" Uvenk shouted, "The Rite of Passage is a sacred trial. This... filth should not be allowed to take part in such a tradition."

Before Wrex could get a word in, Shepard stepped forward and his shotgun was already out. "Urdnot Wrex has already dismissed you. So I'm going to be it plainly. Fuck off."

Uvenk's eyes narrowed at Shepard. "You dare challenge me?"

Shepard strode forward until they were inches apart. "Look, you jumped up little shit. I wipe out pieces of shit like you before I've barely woken up in the morning. The krogan at your side? I could take them out one handed and blindfolded. I've dealt with plenty of people who are all hot air with nothing to back up their words. But I will give you one warning only. You disrespect the men under my command and you disrespect me. Disrespect me and I can assure you my foot will find its way up your arse. Now, as I said before, fuck off before my shotgun barrel finds itself warm from unloading a few shells."

Wrex bellowed with laughter. Grunt could only watch impressed, as the krogan was twice the size, and a good few inches taller, but Shepard didn't flinch.

"You have both been warned. This will not stand." Uvenk then turned and walked away.

Shepard made sure they turned and walked away before turning around. "What an absolute thundercunt. How have you not killed him yet?" he asked Wrex.

"Politics. Unfortunately, alliances must be made while my position is secured. He is a price I have to pay for now."

He followed Wrex and Shepard as they were led towards a mess area, the team spreading out and sitting down as he sat across from Wrex. He was then given an introduction into krogan history. What Wrex called real krogan history, not the propaganda pumped into his brain from someone like Okeer. And what Grunt learned was very different to what he supposedly knew. Many would have called the words out of Wrex nothing but lies, if not outright blasphemy. But he also knew, straight away, that they were true. The genophage was a cruel fate, but the krogan had not been innocents prior to its release.

Grunt listened to every word, asking questions when he figured it was necessary. He learned a lot of the recent past. Wrex also spoke of himself and his own struggles. He had lived for over a thousand years by now and had seen the rise and fall of his people. Yet, even now, he still maintained hope that a brighter future laid on horizon. First, they'd have to fight for it. Then they'd have to negotiate and talk. Stability on Tuchanka was necessary. The clan wars had to end. The krogan to be united, to sing in one voice, and then the galaxy might listen to them once again.

"Will you stand with Clan Urdnot?" Wrex finally asked.

Grunt crossed his arm across his chest, balled first, a solemn bow. "I will stand with you, Urdnot Wrex."

"So it is done. Once you pass the Rite of Passage, you will fulfil your obligation to my friend. Once you return to Tuchanka, I will put you to work, see what you are made of. Let us see if a tank-born krogan is truly made of the right stuff."

"What do we need to do?" Shepard asked.

"I will take you to the shaman. He shall explain what is required."

Wrex, flanked by at least a dozen bodyguards, led the way towards the edge of the area that Clan Urdnot claimed as its capital. Nothing but ruins, barely able to scratch a living, but Wrex had plans. He explained as they walked. Each Rite was different as krogan could be tested in many ways. Most were in regards to their battle prowess, straight of will, test of their character and their heart. Bravery was most important. Cowardice was not acceptable.

The shaman was dressed in flowing robes of blue. Wrex bowed in respect as they arrived. Grunt noticed that Uvenk had already arrived to lodge a protest. Wrex growled unhappily. He was fairly sure even Shepard grunted, testosterone flooding through his body, eager for a fight. I feel sorry for that redhead woman later. She's going to get it.

The shaman approached and looked him over, eventually nodding his approval before speaking quietly to Wrex. Eventually the giant krogan turned. "Who here will stand with Grunt?"

Shepard and all his colleagues stepped forward as one. "My name is Shepard. I am the commander of the Normandy. My crew and I will stand at the side of Grunt during his Rite of Passage. We shall battle and defeat whatever we face and return triumphant."

Wrex slapped him on the back. "Sure you're not half-krogan, Shepard?"

The human laughed. "There is no doubt this... tank-born has a krantt," the Shaman stated, "The will of Clan Urdnot is dominant. Your protests are hollow, Uvenk."

"He is unnatural," Uvenk retorted unhappily, "Wrex will forego traditions that have stood for thousands of years for this whelp."

"I will speak for myself. I am pure krogan. You should be standing awe, Uvenk," he stated.

"You are the product of a syringe, nothing more. A science experiment. Your kind has no right participating in such sacred rites."

"Your will is strong, tank-born." The shaman came close and sniffed. "Yes, your right to complete the Rite is accepted."

"My followers are true krogan! Everything about Grunt is a lie!" Uvenk continued to argue.

That's when Shepard burst forward and launched a furious headbutt into Uvenk. The human staggered afterwards but the shock on Uvenk's face was something else entirely. "You... dare, human?" Uvenk asked in utter disbelief.

"I do fucking well dare, you worthless piece of shit. Let's take this outside. You and me. No armour. Bare fists. I will beat the shit out of you and make sure I show you each of your hearts before you die."

Uvenk looked at the shaman, who merely shrugged his shoulders before saying, "It is your choice, Uvenk. It appears the human may know some of our customs after all."

Uvenk walked towards Shepard, prodding him in the chest. "This is not over, human."

"Touch me again, and I'll break whatever it is."

Wrex roared with laughter. "You are half-krogan, Shepard!"

The shaman rumbled with laughter as Uvenk and his few supporters disappeared. "You have brought formidable krantt, tank-born. You have provoked Uvenk. Reason enough for me to like you. Though they will be a problem for you now."

"If they stand in my way, they will die," he stated.

"So what is this Rite exactly?" Shepard asked.

"It is glorious battle, Shepard. That is all you need to know. Grunt and his krantt will be tested. Learn to adapt to any situation. Bring your love of the fight to Grunt's trial and he will succeed. You will need transportation to the Proving Grounds. Once there, you will face the task."

A pair of tomkah's arrived a few minutes later, everyone climbing aboard as they were transported to the Proving Grounds. As they were driven along, Shepard spoke of his own homeworld, Earth, and how the destruction of Tuchanka matched parts of his own history, when great wars had swept the planet, causing entire countries to be destroyed, though the difference is the fighting stopped and the wars rebuilt.

"Ever drop nukes?" Wrex wondered.

"Only twice. Both times on the same country. It scared humanity so much, we may have built even more bombs, but knew if they were ever launched, our species would end in an instant. They acted more as a deterrent, a defensive rather than offensive strategy."

"Do you still have the bombs?" Grunt asked.

"Not on Earth. We now have weapons in certain areas of our solar system to ward off anyone who may want to attack our homeworld."

"We had no such hesitation, Shepard," Wrex muttered, "We nuked the shit out of each other. Obviously."

The shattered remains of the city were a testament to that statement. The tomkah bumped along until the brakes squealed and the driver announced their arrival. Climbing out, there was little difference to where they had been except they were now exposed to sunlight, and it was rather hot. He didn't find it so uncomfortable but most of the others would already be sweating buckets inside their armour.

The shaman led the way until he stood on a ledge before them, spreading his arms wide. "You stand on hallowed ground, tank-born. This was the last city to fall during the Rebellions. At the heart of the city was the keystone. Our planet. Our cities. Our species. We all endure, tank-born. You will learn that over time."