Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 44

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"A what-what?"

"Demon of the Night Winds, at least in an old asari dialect. It is a rare genetic condition among our people. We are speaking of less than one percent. It is a condition which affects our nervous system, and it is particularly prevalent when it comes to melding. Putting it simply, the Ardat-Yakshi overwhelms the person they are melding with, leaving them as nothing more than a husk before they die."

"Like domination then?"

"In a manner of speaking, yes. After each encounter, an Ardat-Yakshi become smarter, stronger and deadlier. My daughter, Morinth, is perhaps the strongest Ardat-Yakshi to have lived."

"Okay, sounds like we need to nip this in the bud now. Where are we going?"

"Omega."

He no doubt withheld a groan. "Okay, no problem. We can head there immediately, take care of this, then go to the Reaper IFF."

"I apologise for affecting..."

He dismissed her apology with a polite wave. "I told everyone that if they needed anything done to let me know before we collected the IFF. So I can't complain. We're still over a day away. I can easily divert the ship to Omega."

"You have my thanks, Shepard. While we on route, I will think of the best way to approach the situation. No doubt my daughter will have made herself a base in which she would lure her victims. I am afraid she might have already killed."

"Then we make sure we end her reign of terror."

"She will be unlike any enemy you have fought before, Shepard."

"Been told that before. I'm still here." He paused before smirking, "Well, version two of Shepard is here. Held together by science and cybernetics. Human enough, I guess." He paused again. "When we get to Omega, we'd best speak to Aria T'Loak. Very little happens there without her knowing about it."

"I will follow your lead, Shepard." He was about to get up when he asked, "Shepard, may I ask a question?"

"Sure. What's on your mind?"

"How do you do it?"

"Do what?"

"Your women. It is obvious the affection you share with Kelly. She is head over heels in love with you. Yet you also share yourself with others. I understand Kelly does not mind, even participates with other lovers that you have, but I was of the thought that humans were generally monogamous creatures."

"It's a long story, Samara. I'll put it quite simply, maybe even bluntly. The woman I truly loved was taken from me, and she might never be replaced. I'm also young, and wish to enjoy myself. Having come back from death, I definitely wish to enjoy myself. And considering what might lay on the horizon for all of us, as I don't believe the Reaper threat has disappeared one little bit, then I might as well continue until the day I'm either dead, or I decide it's time to finally settle down."

That answered her question. "Thank you for your honesty, Shepard. I was expecting a deflection."

"I am just as honest with my lovers, Samara. Each woman I am intimate is told beforehand of the life I lead. Therefore, I cannot be criticised of anything after the fact."

Arriving on Omega, only Shepard accompanied her to Afterlife. She had been told that Shepard had been sweet on one of the asari dancers in the club, but glancing his way every so often, it was clear his mind was only on the task at hand, guessing his idea was that they would complete what they were doing and then leave. She knew he planned to visit Illium before their departure to the Omega Four, so guessed there was no relaxing just yet.

Having rarely travelled outside asari space, it was the first time she had ever visited Omega. If the space station had been inside asari space, she knew she would never have been desperate for work. On the surface, things were bad enough. But life must have been awful for the majority of people. Approaching the entrance of Afterlife, the bodyguards seemed to recognise Shepard, allowing him through immediately.

"Regular customer?" she asked.

"Not recently. During my first visit, I may have taken advantage of one or two things on offer."

"Ah, pretty asari dancers, Shepard?"

"Oh, most certainly, Samara. You are incredibly flexible at only around one hundred and fifty odd years old."

Despite the seriousness of the situation, she couldn't help chuckle though she noticed his eyes continued to scan their surroundings. Both were armoured and armed, Shepard aware that they could still end up in a firefight between the ship and the club. Shepard led the way towards the elevated floor upon which Aria relaxed, taking note of the bank of screens, a couple showing scenes from within the club, though most focused on various areas of Omega. There were also a couple of others showing what appeared to be financial transactions. Aria T'Loak may have been the 'Pirate Queen' of Omega, but she also needed a lot of money to fund her private army.

Offering a seat, Shepard sat down by she chose to remain standing. "Interesting company you keep," Aria stated, the words aimed at Shepard, but the eyes glaring at her, "Tell me why you have an asari Justicar in your company, and why she's on Omega and in my fucking club." The words then changed to her. "Your code means nothing here, Justicar. You're outside your comfort zone, and you're in my home. I'm not even going to warn you what happens should you choose to raise a weapon in my direction."

"We are tracking at Ardat-Yakshi. We obtained information that suggested she had made her way to Omega. We were hoping you may have tracked her since her arrival," Shepard explained.

"I'm aware," Aria stated with a shrug.

"Have you done anything about her?"

An almost sarcastic smirk appeared. "Why would I? She hasn't done anything to me. So she isn't my problem."

"Have there been any victims that could possibly lead us to her?" Samara asked. Get this over quickly and the tension will disappear.

Aria looked away again, and almost looked, well she wouldn't say sad but almost disappointed. She returned her gaze towards them once again. "Her last victim was a girl. Human girl. I know her mother still lives in one of the apartments not far from here. I can only suggest you go start by talking to her."

"Got a name?"

"Surname is Jones. That's all I know."

Shepard stood up. "Thanks, Aria."

"Despite my indifferent attitude, Justicar, an Ardat-Yakshi is bad news on Omega. A plague was bad enough, as was Archangel. An Ardat-Yakshi... Even I know that won't end well for anyone. I will at least hope you think I'm sincere in saying good luck catching her." She paused a beat. "Not that I actually care if you believe me or not."

Samara made do with a small nod of the head before she walked away, Shepard following in her footsteps, hearing him take a deep breath. He no doubt had felt the tension between the two asari and no doubt didn't want to get into a fight just before heading for the Omega Four.

"We should bring in a detective," he suggested upon exiting the club, "Garrus."

"If you believe that is the best choice."

"He'll know how to question the family and know what evidence to look for when it comes to tracking, in addition to all your experience, of course. On this, I'll take a back seat and help out where you need me."

Calling in his turian friend, he joined the pair within five minutes, perhaps itching to take time off the ship and also help track down a dangerous criminal. Once Shepard explained the basics, the three headed off to find the apartment. It was surprisingly close to Afterlife, down a side street, and it was obvious to her eyes that most people lived in some sort of poverty. No-one came to Omega in the hope of fame and fortune. Most ended up there as they had nowhere else to go.

The women who opened the door to them was clearly in the middle of grief, though once Shepard explained who they were and that they were there to investigate, the three were invited in quickly, offering a drink and something to eat in the midst of her tears. Garrus was already in detective mode, but watching him with a victim was a new side to his character, or so Samara though. Softly-spoken, comforting, and an edge to his tone that he now took it personally. Once he had the information the trio needed, he checked the daughters room as Shepard took over, asking questions about her daughter, simply so she could think of the positives instead of the negatives. Samara could only stand back and be impressed by both men and how their characters completely changed when dealing with a distraught and grief-stricken mother.

Once outside, Shepard and Garrus seemed to share a glance. "Oh, she dies, Shepard," Garrus said, "I've seen far too much of that shit over the years. People are under the impression the Citadel is a beacon of safety. It isn't. Hang out on some of the Wards for a few days, watch the shit C-Sec deal with on a daily basis. Murder rate isn't as high as here, but there are still plenty of victims." Garrus then looked at her. "Brain haemorrhage. Is that what normally happens?"

She nodded. "Yes. To a doctor not used to dealing with what an Ardat-Yakshi is capable of, the cause would look perfectly natural. But the fact Morinth is operating here is a concern. I believe the young woman would not be her only victim, perhaps just her latest one."

"I also found this," Garrus stated, "I wasn't sure if you'd want to hear it."

"Is it evidence?" Garrus nodded. "Then I need to hear it, Garrus. Play it."

"Morinth is a girl like me, and she's definitely not human. When we dance, and the Hallex is flowing through me... The way she looks at me... with a hunger, a longing... No-one's ever looked at me like that. We kissed tonight."

"My daughter is seductive. Someone like her would fall for her quickly. Morinth would appeal to her base desires. Are there others, Garrus?"

He nodded, pressing his omni-tool again. "She's taking me to her apartment tonight. Whatever happens, I want to be with her forever. She can sell my pieces and we can live together somewhere glamorous, like those women in Vaenia. How did this ever happen to me? I'm just dumb trash from Omega."

She heard Shepard sigh. Garrus often wore his heart on his sleeve, and it was clear to see he was a mixture of pissed off and heartbroken. "Nef is exactly like someone Morinth would be interested in. She had always pursued people with that creative spark. Someone slightly aloof. Isolated. They are perfect targets," she explained.

"What about Morinth herself? What makes her so attractive to those she hunts?" Shepard asked.

"She impresses them, particularly girls such as Nef, with an air of sophistication and sex appeal. Nef would have been overawed, to find herself the centre of someone else's undivided attention. Then... she strikes. For Morinth, the hunt interests her just as much as the conquest."

The trio returned to the ship, where she thanked Garrus for the assist, but for what she had planned, she would only need to the assistance of Shepard. Once they were alone, she explained her idea. Shepard was to be the bait to lure her in. Then, once she thought she had him, Samara would strike. It wasn't surprising Shepard was fine with the idea. She had expected one or two arguments, but as she explained everything, he shrugged and said, "Okay, let's get this sort. Sooner we deal with Morinth, sooner we can end all our problems."

"She won't prowl Afterlife, not with Aria T'Loak in charge. Morinth is smart enough not to feed her desires within the lair of another. No, she will have a favourite hunting ground, the same which she found Nef and no doubt many others to feed."

"Sounds almost like a vampire," Shepard muttered.

"Ah, they are a human legend I have heard about. While she might not feed on blood, there are certainly similarities between the two." She looked him up and down. "I would suggest you change, Shepard. And do not go armed."

"I can fight without a weapon if necessary." He held up his fists. "These can cause damage. And I have my biotics too."

Shepard headed upstairs to change as she took ten minutes to meditate, calming her nerves. This was the closest she had been in centuries. It was unlikely Morinth had any idea that she was now so close. And Shepard was the perfect bait. Morinth would take one look at him and desire him. All Shepard had to do was play the perfect victim.

He reappeared dressed for the club. Even Samara could admit he was a good looking man. If she thought so, Morinth would definitely think so. Without another word, the pair headed back onto Omega, heading straight for the club. She didn't need to give him any last minute advice except he should just act natural and she'd approach eventually.

Sending him into the lion's den was a last minute plan, but she needed to act quickly. Morinth never hunted in any place for too long. She was smart enough to know a pattern soon emerged, and anywhere that had an asari population would soon put two and two together. Listening into the noise from inside, she heard Shepard order a drink and chat with other patrons. He was a natural at things like that. Everyone was his friend when he was relaxing.

She admitted to holding her breath until she finally heard her voice. "My name is Morinth. I've been watching you. You're certainly the most interesting person in here. I've got both a booth nearby. Why don't you come and sit with me?"

Part one was gaining her attention. Part two was keeping her attention. Part three was getting her alone. Part one was perhaps the easiest part. Considering he was an excellent physical specimen, now it came to impressing her mind. She heard the two settle into a booth, the boom of the music in the background as they chatted about their lives. Morinth had the perfect cover story, of course. She thought Shepard would have been recognisable, but she clearly didn't recognise him. Shepard was vague in regards to his own life, of course, but played the part perfectly. She could almost see the predatory grin form on her daughter's mouth as she asked, "Do you want to get out of here? My apartment is nearby, and I want you alone."

The tone Shepard used was one that suggested he definitely wanted to have sex with her. She now wondered who was playing who. She watched as Shepard and Morinth left the club together, and Shepard was still playing the part perfectly. But she could see his face and see he wasn't in her thrall when she wasn't looking at him. Following at a distance, Morinth certainly had a fine apartment considering it was Omega. The two disappeared inside as she waited outside, ready to strike.

Listening into the conversation, it was clear Morinth was attracted to Shepard. As for him, the tone suggested he was attracted in return, but she could only hope it was all for show. While they had spent plenty of talking in the club, Morinth didn't waste any time trying to get her claws into Shepard once they were alone. There was no sound of any kissing, so that was a relief, but it was a clear they were on a couch, sitting close to each other.

"Look into my eyes and tell me that you want me. Tell me that you'd kill for me. Tell me that you would do anything I want."

"Already do plenty of killing as it is. So I assume what you want right now is sex. Thing is, I also get plenty of that. Have at least half a dozen women on my ship who keep my dick wet. Then I have a few more dotted around the galaxy that I share a bed with. So while I could possibly fuck you and enjoy it, I like my brain where it is."

Morinth reply was one of confusion for a moment. Then she heard the venom in her tone. "Oh, I see what's going on here. The bitch has found herself a little helper."

She strode into the apartment straight away, not giving her daughter a chance to slip away. But she walked in to find Shepard already holding her in place, though summoned her biotics, flinging him away when their eyes finally met for the first time in centuries.

"Hello, mother," Morinth stated, hatred dripping from her voice.

She raised a hand, lifting Morinth into the air before flinging her backwards. "Do not call me that, Morinth. You haven't given me a choice for what I am about to do."

She didn't take her eyes from her though sensed Shepard was willing to involve himself if necessary. She simply shook her head, guessing he would remain in play, just in case things went wrong. Morinth summoned her own biotics again, forcing her onto the back foot. "My only crime was being born with the gifts you gave me, Mother!"

Mother and daughter now traded attacks. Samara could only be impressed by her power, though how she had gained it was the reason she was there at that moment. "I am the genetic destiny of the asari. But they are not ready to reveal this, so it is I who must die."

"You are a disease to be purged, nothing more," she replied, keeping her voice neutral. To speak of her daughter in such a manner, even after all this time, even after the countless deaths...

She was gaining the upper hand in their battle of wills. Samara had centuries more experience. And she would not hesitate in killing Morinth. She could sense that Morinth was wilting, that although there was little but hatred, she would still hesitate killing her. It was something to use to her advantage.

"Shepard, I can help you," Morinth pleaded.

"I am already sworn to you, Shepard."

"Yeah, I think I'm going to turn down your offer, Morinth. Samara had already proven her loyalty to me."

"Thank you, Shepard."

Morinth wilted completely, and Samara flung her back against the wall, her daughter collapsing to the ground. Samara strode forward as Morinth backed up. For a moment, all she saw was her daughter, fearing for her life, and that the fear was provoked by her own mother. But too much time had passed, too much had been done, to hesitate even for a moment. She kneeled down, grasping Morinth by the throat. Summoning her biotics, she met the eyes of her daughter for a final time.

"Find peace in the embrace of the goddess."

She looked away as she struck. Once it was done, she simply stood up and turned around, ensuring she kept her face blank as Shepard approached. Before he could say a word, all she said was, "Show mercy on a broken old warrior and let us leave, Shepard. That is all I ask."

They walked in silence back to the ship, stopping to let Nef's mother that justice had been delivered. It provided some comfort but the truth was that her daughter was still dead, just like many daughters were over the centuries Morinth had been free to commit her unspeakable crimes. But they were still thanked for helping, the pair waving away any reward offered. They had done it simply because it had been the right thing to do.

Back on the ship, Shepard escorted her to the lounge, asked if she was alright. "I will be later, Shepard. Give me time to meditate on what has happened."

"Of course."

Before he left, she grabbed his hand, which clearly surprised him, before pulling him close and embracing him. "Thank you," she whispered, "Simple words, but I cannot adequately express how much your help is appreciated."

"No worries, Samara. We did a good thing tonight."

She let him go and met his eyes. Then he nodded and turned towards the elevator. She positioned herself on the ground as always, looking out over the stars. As always, she was soon joined by Thane, the pair meditating in silence, finding their centre, focusing on the simple act of breathing to find their centre.

"It is done?" he asked.

"Centuries of hunting has come to an end, Thane. I am now free to pursue my own path once again. I will help Shepard and then... I am not sure. Continue to provide justice to those who seek it. But, first, we must end the Collector threat. Humanity is first. No doubt they seek to destroy us all in the end."