Mass Effect - A Hero Rises Ch. 50

Story Info
A Mass Effect trilogy novelisation.
6.3k words
4.83
2.4k
5

Part 50 of the 69 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 11/11/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Book 3, Chapter 1 -- They Have... Arrived!

*****

No doubt Admiral Hackett tried his best, but the Alliance did their best to throw the book at me in return. Or maybe part of the book. I was interrogated about my movements from the moment the old Normandy was destroyed to the day I handed myself in to Alliance custody. I must have told the same story half a dozen times, each time to a different person. The questioning was monotonous. By the end, I was ready to leap over the desk and beat whoever was questioning me. Didn't help they kept me handcuffed. I knew some did trust and believe me, but I'd blown up a star system, having only recently left working alongside a terrorist organisation. To many, two plus two equalled four and they simply didn't believe I'd told Cerberus and the Illusive Man to fuck off.

Counting in my head the days, I was past four months when the door to my cell finally opened to reveal Admiral Hackett. Asking me to join him, I wasn't handcuffed for once before being led to the same room as always, though this time it was Captain Anderson waiting for me. Gesturing to the empty seat on the table, I sat down and waited for Hackett to join us. I looked at Anderson. He met my eyes as I glanced at his shoulders. My eyebrows definitely rose. "Promotion, sir?"

"It's a hell of a step up, Shepard."

"May I ask why?"

"All will be explained, Shepard. Patience."

"Difficult considering the circumstances, sir."

"I understand. Once Hackett has returned, all will be explained."

The other Admiral joined us a couple of minutes later, carrying a tray with a jug, mugs and I guess things needed for coffee. He poured each of us a cup, taking a seat next to Anderson. He wasted no time getting down to business. "You're being released today, Shepard. Not completely, but you'll no longer be in a cell. I've fought tooth and nail to get you exonerated, but the Alliance are only going to meet me halfway on this."

"Okay. Where am I going?"

"You'll be given personal quarters, a small apartment, but consider it house arrest. You'll be monitored twenty-four-seven. You make a move for any terminal that leaves the city, whether it be road, rail or sky, you'll be hunted down. Anderson and I are continuing to fight your corner, but... You know, it's a long process."

"Fair enough. Being in some sort of apartment would be better than a cell."

"Kelly Chambers will be waiting for you." That definitely brought a grin to my face. "We're not charging her with anything, Shepard. Like many who joined, they did so because of you. Some may have once believed in the cause, but you discovered enough to change their minds. So while each has been seriously vetted, to make sure they are true to their word, many have chosen to return to the Alliance."

"What about Miranda Lawson?"

"She is assisting us with our inquiries. She's brilliant, Shepard. Not met too many women like her. I'm sure you're wondering where she is. Doctor Chakwas is working for Alliance R&D on the Citadel. Miss Lawson is currently working alongside her."

"And you, sir?" I asked, looking at Anderson.

"I'm taking command of the Normandy, Shepard. It's currently going through a refitting as obvious changes were required. It's going to become a mobile command centre. The idea is that I will be in nominal command of the vessel, but it's going to need a captain to maintain the day to day operations."

"That man is you, Shepard," Hackett added, "Though that is only between the three of us at the moment. Some in the Alliance still want you charged, thrown in a cell and the key thrown away after what happened, but there are more now clamouring for your release and for you to be back doing what you do best. But these things take time. I'm sure you understand."

I took a couple of sips of coffee before nodding. "I understand, sir. I did blow up a star system. Killed a lot of people. It was for the right reasons but... I guess I can't get away with it."

"As I said, Shepard, patience," Anderson stated, "You'll soon be able to stop staring at four walls. But you have allies aside from us."

"How long do you think?" I wondered.

"A few more months at most. You'll see a court room eventually but it will be for show only. I'll make damned sure of that. At most, it'll be a suspended sentence," Hackett replied.

"So that means still found guilty so it goes on my record?"

The two men shared a glance. "As you said, Shepard, you did blow up a star system. Reasons or not, there are people who would almost demand that verdict. The batarians for one. The Council wouldn't approve of us whitewashing it." He paused a moment. "Surprisingly, the turians have sent word that they are taking what you say seriously."

I couldn't help smile. "Thank the Spirits for Garrus Vakarian."

"And so are those in the Alliance Navy, Shepard. We're building up the fleets, waiting for them. Unfortunately, we just don't know if or when they'll arrive."

"Soon enough," I muttered, "But the turians are on board?"

"They think blowing up an entire star system a little excessive, but I've shared with them what you told us. Once we did, they were behind you one hundred percent. Those in the know are aware of what we are facing. They realise the enormous sacrifices that might be required."

"But I'm going to be twiddling my thumbs until...?"

"Patience, Shepard," Anderson stated, "No more interrogations for now. You might be pulled in for questioning, but it won't be like how it's been. Take some time to relax." He paused before adding, "You will have a guard. Lieutenant James Vega. Good man. Probably not the sort of job he wanted, but it was something we needed agreement with to have you released."

I shrugged. "That's fine."

"Want to see her?" Anderson asked.

I couldn't help grin, swallowing the rest of the coffee, as I was led out of the room towards a waiting area, given some clothes to wear, before I was escorted towards a nearby building. Riding an elevator up at least a dozen floors, Anderson handed me my old omni-tool, stating nothing had been changed to it other than it had been checked for Cerberus information, and told me that, for the moment, nothing else was required of me.

Heading to the door number I was told, I pushed the button for the doorbell. When it opened, Kelly burst into tears as I stepped forward to hug her. Her arms around me tightened immediately, walking forward just enough for the door to close automatically behind me. I must have held her for a good five minutes before she was simply sniffling. "Hello," I whispered.

She leaned back a little. "Four months, Shepard! And hello to you too!"

"Trust me, I know how long it's been." I leaned down and kissed her, feeling her hand immediately on the back of my head. It felt good to kiss her again. "Definitely missed doing that."

"Thirsty? Coffee?"

"I'd love one."

She let me go and I followed her into the kitchen. I looked around and noticed there wasn't a whole lot to the apartment. I guess, although released, she'd still be watched. She continued to sniffle as she made a coffee, returning for another hug as the kettle boiled away. I closed my eyes, inhaled her scent, enjoyed the feeling of stroking her hair with my fingers. "We are so having sex tonight, Shepard," she whispered.

I couldn't help laugh. "Definitely missed that about us too."

"I know you're under house arrest. Admiral Hackett has tried his best to keep me in the loop regarding you. Whatever I've been told, I've let the others know." She let me go and started to prepare the mugs. "So how's it been"?

"Boring and annoying. Sitting in a cell most of the day is both. The interrogations after a while was the latter. But I've had people fighting my corner. Enough to get me here, at least."

She handed over a mug as we headed back into the living room. There were a couple of lounges, a large vidscreen on the wall that was switched on but silent. Large windows provided a nice view of Vancouver. A few potted plants added colour. Kelly noticed me look around. "I didn't exactly have a whole lot when leaving the ship."

"I don't really have anything now."

"Except me." I gave her a look, leaned over and gave her another soft kiss. "Hungry?"

"I've had four months of crap food. Definitely want something nice."

"We'll go shopping."

"How mundane!"

That made her laugh, at least. "I'll cook tonight, Shepard. Then you're taking me into the bedroom, you're going to undress me, then you are going to eat me out, then you're going to fuck me senseless." She shuffled across so that she was leaning into me. "For now, though, I'll just enjoy your presence."

"Heard from the girls much?"

"All the time, Shepard. We're friends now. Gianna has been worried sick. She'll be so happy that you're now out. Shiala has been worried though the situation on Feros keeps her distracted. Liara has been keeping abreast by being naughty."

"Ah, using her Broker network. I'm sure her influence has probably helped me."

"The only one I haven't heard from is Miranda. Not that she was really one of the girls but..."

"I was told she is 'co-operating' with the Alliance and on the Citadel. What about you?"

"I'm helping out on the ship every so often. A lot of people I don't know. EDI is pretending to be a VI. Joker is there too. He's not been treated nicely. Turns up in shackles every day."

"He actually joined Cerberus, but he's a damned hero..."

"Those two engineers, Ken and Gabby. They're also back on board. Not sure what happened but they seem to have an element of freedom. More than Joker, anyway."

I sighed. "Don't suppose my bodyguard has introduced himself yet?" The look she gave me was one of amusement. "Okay, that suggests a no. You haven't been informed?"

"I was just told you'd be coming home," she whispered.

I finished my coffee, took her mug and placed it on the table, then made sure she was leaning back on the lounge as we made out. Her legs were soon spread as I rested between them. No doubt between all the clothing she would have felt how hard I was, and I knew it as she couldn't help grin as we made out. She eventually had to push me back slightly, her cheeks looking rather colourful by now. "Shopping first, then we'll eat food, then you can enjoy my body."

"I love you," I whispered.

I didn't mean to make her cry, but it had obviously been months. I ended up on my back as I just held her to my body, fingers gently caressing the back of the head. She mumbled her apologies though I told her not to worry. I was simply enjoying being in her presence again. After a very long cuddle, which I knew she definitely enjoyed, she dried her eyes and suggested we should head out, do a little shopping, and then we'd simply enjoy the night.

We arrived back an hour or so later. I recognised the fact we'd been followed by at least three Alliance soldiers, but they kept their distance, seeming to realise rather quickly we were simply heading out to go shopping. I could have made a deal out of it, perhaps going so far as to take the piss or mock them, but they were just doing their jobs, so I left them alone.

Kelly proved to be a real marvel in the kitchen, insisting she couldn't cook, but her efforts exceeded anything I could do. It was a simple meal. Meat, potato, veggies, but that's all I want most of the time anyway. It was cooked well, it came with at least two bottles of wine, but it was her company that was best of all. We ate, drank, talked about anything that came to mind, and once we were done, settled back on the couch until our we were comfortable... then she grabbed my hand and led me to the bedroom.

I'm sure Kelly thought I would have just stripped her off then thrown her on the bed. So I made her smile as I slowly took off each article of clothing, just enjoying the feeling of her soft skin as my fingertips or my lips. By the time I had her down to her underwear, I put my nose to her groin and simply inhaled her scent, making her giggle, though she whispered to already being incredibly turned on. She then returned the favour, though stripped me naked. I was achingly hard and knew I wasn't going to last long. When she fell to her knees, I almost stopped her.

The look she returned from her knees was beautiful. "Now, Shepard, it's been a long time, so I know this isn't going to last long."

"Five minutes if I'm lucky."

"So I make you cum, and I'm definitely taking a mouthful, then you can return the favour."

"Kelly, I just want to please you all the night." Even on the verge of blowing me, she had to look away for a moment, blinking rapidly. I dropped to my knees and moved her chin with a finger. "Kelly, you know what I love to do, particularly with you," I said quietly.

"Okay..."

We ended up on the bed, me on the back, Kelly above me though swung around so we could pleasure each other. I let her focus on me first, and I was right, not lasting five minutes before I needed to cum, then I simply buried my face in her pussy, unable to stop the groan as her scent and taste drove me wild. She was as turned on as I was, and little wonder she cried when I made her cum, insisting I continue through her quiet sobs. I made her cum again twice more before she needed to stop, swinging around and resting on my chest, feeling her shudder every so often, releasing the final pent-up emotions she'd not doubt kept stored up while I'd been gone.

We made love the rest of the night. I'm sure we would have liked to 'fuck' but that night wasn't the time. This was our reconnection after so long apart. This time, I hadn't lost who I loved, or died. I'd disappeared for a few months, but we always knew we'd end up back together in the end. We both enjoyed the fact I slid my cock into her nice and slow, and my thrusting never grew excessive. I spent half the time simply watching her face, judging my movements on her reactions. She wanted nothing more than to feel me cum inside her to begin with, and once I'd recovered again, that's when she took over, riding me for longer than ever. The day I tire of watching Kelly Chambers ride my cock, just shoot me.

It was late, very late, by the time we had to call it quits. No more tears from Kelly, just a gorgeous smile that lit up her face, shared words of love, a desire to pee, shower, and then snuggle under the covers. Holding her close to me that night, even me, Commander Shepard, was almost overwhelmed for a moment. I'd spent four months completely isolated in a cell, not knowing when I'd see anyone again. Having her next to me that night, her soft skin spooned against mine, she seemed to realise, immediately turning over and cuddling into me. "I love you," she whispered. For once, I didn't trust my voice. I simply kissed her forehead and hugged her tighter.

God, I loved that women. There was only two, maybe three, I would have liked there at the time. Awful, I know, but even Kelly knew that. She'd mentioned them that night, and she knew how I felt about them, knew I loved them as much as I loved her. But that night was about her. Our reconnection. I knew we'd now be together until whatever happened next.

We would have a couple of months of peace.

*****

Lieutenant Vega was a good man. He obviously kept some sort of distance, but what amused me is that I definitely had his respect, having no problem saluting me, calling me 'Commander'. He shouldn't have done either thing, and I told him more than once not to, but it seemed to amuse him, I didn't actually care, so we just ignored it together.

I was fairly sure the job bored him to tears. He spent time 'guarding' me, but I knew he was also assisting in the refitting of the Normandy. He couldn't tell me a whole lot, but in addition to Kelly helping out every so often, Ashley was also working on the ship, while from what he knew, Miranda was also helping out from the Citadel, providing them with information whenever the technical staff found themselves a little lost.

As for myself, I wasn't allowed anywhere near the ship. Whenever I wanted to go out, whether by myself or with Kelly, Vega would accompany me or us, though he generally kept his distance when I was with Kelly, giving us privacy. By myself, I'd happily chat away with him. We never became friends, he wouldn't have allowed it, but after a couple of weeks, we had an understanding that I simply appreciated the company.

One thing I noticed is that, after I was released and put into house arrest, I felt almost... forgotten. The interrogations and interviews ceased immediately. I heard from Admiral Hackett occasionally, Anderson even less, and the news never mentioned my name at all, almost as if what happened had been forgotten and the world was simply moving on. Thing is, it was moving on without me. I had to keep mind and body in shape, so while I might not have been on the job, I spent plenty of time in the gym, something Kelly certainly enjoyed as I put on a little muscle and was as fit as ever, while I kept up to date with what was going on in the galaxy. I didn't want to be too out of the loop whenever I was finally released.

The day it started had dawned like most others recently. Warm but cloudy, Kelly and I starting the day by waking up and fooling around in bed before heading to the shower, where she ended up pressed against the wall, begging me to fuck her. I don't know how she hadn't ended up with a child inside her in all the time I'd been under house arrest. Sure, she was chipped to ensure it wouldn't happen, but considering the amount of sex we had, I figured it would just happen despite it. Whatever the case, she sat through breakfast with a satisfied smile on her face, walking out as Vega walked in. I was sat on the couch as the big man sat at the other end, hearing him chuckle.

"If you don't mind me saying, Commander, you two are at it like rabbits."

"Even been in love, Vega? Or simply found a woman you can't get enough of?"

He looked away, rather thoughtful, not something he often did. "Yeah, there was one girl I was keen on... Didn't end well." He didn't say anything else, and rarely told personal stories, so I knew not to press the issue. "She was an asari," he said after a few minutes of silence. I glanced back at him, his eyes focused on the vidscreen. "Worked together on a job that went bad. And I knew how much I loved her because I chose her over everyone else."

"You speak as if..."

"We're not together, sir. The guilt she felt because of my choice... She appreciates why I made it, and in her own way, she loves me for it, but she admitted that she didn't know what else I would be capable of. So she thought it almost safer to simply move on." He stopped again and sighed. "Yeah, I know what you mean, Shepard." He rarely called me that. "I've been in love and it felt great and sucked all at once. So I've made myself a promise not to mix the two going forward."

"That can be a lonely existence, James. I've done that myself after Annie. Figured I'd never find love, wouldn't deserve love again. I blamed myself for a long time afterwards. But going through life without feeling love, or denying yourself the feeling, is awful. Took me a long time to figure that out. You're going through your own process, but you'll learn that everyone needs to be and feel love."

Vega gave me a glance. "Didn't have you picked as a romantic, Shepard."

"I'm sure you've heard stories about me. Hal of them would be true, at least. There are three, maybe four women I love dearly. If they ever asked me to make a choice, I'm not sure I could. But I love Kelly being here with me now. She's been almost the one constant in my life since I woke up. Thing is, it started out as purely physical, but you realise rather quickly you can't have the intense sexual relationship we had without feelings getting involved."

12