Mate for Life

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
LadyArielle
LadyArielle
97 Followers

"It's not worth the risk," Daegon said, his mouth set in a mulish line. "I could infect you, have you thought of that?"

She laughed, making him scowl at her. "Daeg, I'm a cleric. I know how to counter lycanthropy. I spent the last three years learning how to heal magical wounds and afflictions, and perfecting that art. You couldn't make me wolfie if you tried." She grinned as his resolve wavered. "Look, I have scrolls of extra-intense healing, even you could use them. Just in case," she said gently. "But I don't think we'll need them."

"Emmy, I can't." He tried to turn away, but she grabbed his hand and held him fast. "I just...Emmy, don't!"

She had let go of his hand and took her robe off, standing in the fading light like a goddess, all creamy skin and wild red hair. Seeing his face change, she stepped closer, letting her scent fill his nostrils, and smiled as he growled. "I can't be like you," she whispered, running her hands over his chest, slipping under his tunic, her touch warm and inviting. "I can't change into something powerful and beautiful and deadly and wonderful like you can. But I'm your mate. I know I am, or I wouldn't be able to smell you the way I can."

He looked at her, astonished, and grasped her hands under his tunic to still them. "What did you say?"

"I'm your..."

"No, about smelling me. You mean you don't do that with everyone?" His brows were drawn together, a peculiar look on his face. "I thought..." He stopped and cleared his throat. "You said that, the day I changed for you. I thought it was a spell or something, or you just detected changes in pheromones, like I do. You mean you don't usually do it?"

"No," she said, shaking her head in puzzlement. "I thought it was odd too, but you'd been saying I was a ranger, and I was getting used to being followed by animals again, and....well, I guess I just thought it had something to do with that. But then I noticed it only happened when I was with you. And I wondered why, until just now, when something just....clicked."

"And you didn't mention it why?"

"I meant to," she defended herself. "It just didn't come up." She paused. "What does it mean? Am I right?"

He didn't speak for a long moment, just cupped her face in his hand and looked at her, his eyes soft and full of wonder. "Emmy, I thought mate that first raid, when I was on watch. I pushed it away, because I couldn't believe it was true, it must be..." He smiled a bit crookedly. "I put it down to lust and wishing." He stepped away and removed his tunic and pants, tossing them after her robe.

"But....you hadn't even kissed me yet," she blurted.

"I didn't need to," he answered, smiling. "I smelled it." He crooked a finger at her. "Come here. I want to kiss you while I still can."

She laughed, all the tension between them shattering with that singular sweet sound, and he kissed her, deep and long and sweet, and she melted against him. Then his power washed over the both of them, rolling like thunder, and she gasped as he pulled away, the air shimmering and sparking with energy. He stood, large and furry and beautiful, howling as the pain released, and opened his arms. She gladly stepped into them, pulled off her feet and held tight, his tongue caressing her jaw, large paw like hands cupping her body, squeezing gently, caressing.

He tried to be gentle, to go slow and not frighten her, but the copper scent rose equal to her mate-scent, and she would have none of it. Emmy wriggled out of his arms, taking his hand and pulling him down with her, utterly unafraid and eager, and he lost himself in her scent and skin and softness. She opened to him, and he licked all down her body, lapping at that intoxicating scent where it was strongest, and she moaned, bucking her hips, cumming so quick it took his breath away. He drank her juices, wanting to hear her moan again, and her nails dug into his head, her body spasming so hard she almost threw him off her. Daegon laughed with joy, holding her down and nuzzling up to nip at her breasts, tongue outlining her nipples, rough on her smooth skin, and she begged him to go harder. His growl was deep in his chest, primal and feral and wild, and her scent rose higher, making him dizzy and drunk with her.

"Now," she breathed, clawing at his back, and he rammed home, hard and fast, and she moaned, wrapping all her softness and need around him like a blanket.

Then he had a burning tornado in his arms, bucking and clawing and moaning, and his beast rose, clawing and licking the sting away, her need and his joining, burning like a bonfire as the sun faded from the sky. He felt her climax over and over, screaming his name, urging him faster, harder. He got his legs under him, scooping her up as if she weighed nothing, pulling out of her over her protests, and growled "Run."

She hesitated a split second, then sniffed deeply, a huge reckless smile breaking over her face, and without a word, ran like crazy across the clearing, heading for the trees. He caught her in two bounding strides, his weight pinning her to the grass, the feel of her writhing under him almost as heady as her scent. Gripping her wrists to hold them flat on the ground, he drew back and plunged into her hot slickness, his growl more a moan as she came immediately, clenching around his cock. He couldn't go easy if he tried, he wanted her so badly, needed her, and she slammed back as he took her, his lust an inferno, his cock a flame buried in her heat. Then they were bound together, the knot pushing inside, she could feel it, heavy and huge, stretching her tight, rubbing against nerves she didn't know she had, and she sobbed with pleasure, the pain only intensifying her need. He erupted, spurting hot and thick inside her, throbbing as he howled, crushing her to him, his roar echoing her own keening cry. He knew he wouldn't be able to pull out, and didn't try, pulling her even closer, the soft fur on his palms caressing her breasts, petting her skin as she shuddered. She was mostly on his lap now, his chin on her shoulder, tongue lolling as he panted in her ear, gradually regaining control. He felt himself shift again, not realizing he had meant to, and came back, feeling her quiver and moan once more.

And it didn't hurt at all.

Daegon was unwilling to admit out loud how scared he was of losing Emmy for any reason. He had meant it when he had told Emily that he believed forewarned is forearmed, but as the days passed, he could not shake a sense of deepening unease. He began to consider Glenna's vision far more seriously, taking precautions based on what she had seen, and encouraging Emmy to do the same. The most obvious change in his and Emmy's routine was that they had stopped using the armory's archery range to practice. By unspoken consent, they stuck to using the butts behind the tavern, or the trees in Daeg's grove. Emmy's skill had grown at a dizzying speed. He had expanded her training; teaching her to move silently in any environment, blend into the shadows, and how to spot traps. She was like a sponge, soaking up his instruction seeming without effort. Only the scent of her sweat told him how much energy she was expending to learn. It wasn't that she was finding it difficult, she admitted when he questioned her.

"Dad thought I'd be good at it, and...maybe I'm a little angry with Mama," Emmy confessed as they lay under the stars, sated and drowsy. Her head was on his chest, one finger tracing patterns on his skin. Daegon placed a kiss on her curls and growled contentedly, encouraging her to continue. "I guess I try so hard partly to prove she was wrong. I understand, I do...but to hold me back..." She sighed and sat up, looking earnestly at his face in the light of the three-quarter moon. "I feel like she denied me half of what I am. Is that awful?"

"No," Daegon said, reaching up to cup one cheek with his hand. "It's understandable that you feel a bit cheated. But...your mother raised you as she thought right. Were you unhappy? Neglected? Unloved?" He pulled her down for a searching kiss, and she sighed into his mouth.

"No," she admitted, resuming her snuggling. "Of course not."

"You're an amazing cleric," Daegon pointed out. "One of the best I've ever encountered. And you seem to love it."

"I do," Emmy said earnestly. "To help people heal, know that I can connect to Her and channel that divine grace....there's nothing like it," she said softly. "It's not the power, it's...well, okay, the power is a rush, sure," she said wryly, seeing Daegon's lifted brow. "But I've always felt a connection to Selune, heard her whisper in my head, and known I was Hers. What I do isn't me, I'm just a conduit for Her will. All Mama did was help me strengthen that, show me how to give my whole heart to Her." Emily sighed, a sound that seemed to come from her very soul. "I expect I'll have to pray harder for forgiveness for my anger, and to forgive Mama."

"You will," Daegon said with assurance. "It's not in you to hold grudges against family."

"I notice you don't say it's not in my nature to hold grudges at all," Emmy teased, half-seriously.

Daegon grinned. "I'm not that big a fool," he laughed. "I don't think you normally would, but Gods help anyone that crossed you."

"Maybe," Emily grinned impishly. She looked at him, her expression growing more serious. "I had no idea what I could be, until you saw it," she said very quietly. "And I feel like Dad is watching, and approves, and..." she bit her lip, her eyes shining. "I want him to be proud of me. But more than that, I want you to be."

"I'd be proud of you no matter what," Daegon assured her. "This shouldn't be about me at all." He paused. "Or about your dad," he said gently.

"I know that, but I can't help but feel it anyway."

Emily lay very still in his arms, her breathing slow and barely audible. She looked into the shadows and saw several sets of eyes gleaming under bushes and in trees, watching her. She inhaled, scenting a squirrel, a fox, a rabbit, and a wolf, smiling to herself. Daegon caught the shift in her scent as she concentrated, calling them to her. He had not needed to train her to charm animals, only helped her learn how to do it at will rather than unconsciously. In a moment, they had four furry companions invading their makeshift bed made of their blankets and cloaks, nosing at them both. The rabbit hopped right onto Emmy's chest, nuzzling under her chin, and she pet it with tender delight. The wolf, more wary than the rest, sniffed at Daegon and rolled onto his back, baring neck and belly to the Alpha he sensed. Once receiving Daegon's approval, he practically crawled over his chest to reach Emily, who laughed and pet him before firmly pushing him off her lover. The wolf whined and crawled to their feet, resting his nose on his paws, watching them worshipfully. The fox had curled into a fuzzy ball next to Emmy's hip, and the squirrel chittered, quite put out to be neglected. Emmy chuckled and proffered a finger. The rodent sniffed it and offered her an acorn. She put out her palm, and the creature dropped the nut into her hand, then skittered up to rest on her shoulder. A few more small animals joined them, arraying themselves as close as they could. Daegon stifled a snort of laughter.

"You love this," he said, fending off the attentions of a young fox kit. In the manner of teenagers of any species, it huffed with impatience and sat a short distance from them both, eyeing them with affected disinterest. "You were born to it."

"Yes," Emily said simply. "I never really thought about how animals react to me before, but now...it's a big responsibility, I see that now. I can't ignore it anymore, and I want to learn as much as I can. I didn't realize the sheer power of it, and I..." she bit her lip again. "I can't let them down."

"You do realize they," Daegon waved a hand at the forest creatures draped around, "won't know or care, right?" he said reasonably, watching her reaction.

"Yeah, I do." Emily paused, looking away, gathering her thoughts. "But I do. And She does."

"Exactly."

"Emmy, there's a strange guy asking about you," Fizzy warned her as she and Daegon returned to the tavern. "He's still in there, looks like another ranger type, but who knows? After what Glenn saw, I don't trust anyone."

"Did he say what he wanted?" Daegon asked sharply, echoing Emily's "What does he want?"

"He says he's family," Fitz shrugged, looking between the two of them with a worried air. "And I guess he could be, he looks a little like you, Em. But he won't say how he's related or...." she trailed off as Emily's eyes grew round, no longer focused on Fizzy but a point over her shoulder.

Emily squealed loudly and dashed headlong into the arms of a man who was indeed dressed in the casual leathers favored by rangers. He had a top-quality bow slung over his back, and a quiver that looked as if it took abuse without a twitch. Adventurer, Daeg would bet his canines on it. And currently picking up Emmy, swinging her around with familiar ease as she laughed and clung to him. Daegon tried very hard not to growl and spring at the stranger. The urge to rip his throat out flared, but Daegon reined it in, examining this possible rival through narrowed eyes as he approached, trying not to glower. He forced his face into an expression of pleasant curiosity.

"Daeg! Can you believe it?" Emily's face was shining, and Daegon couldn't help but smile to see her so happy.

"I'm sure I can't," he agreed, looking at the much shorter man and offering his hand. He looked about half a head or so taller than Emily, which put him about the same shorter than Daegon, who tried not to feel smug about it. He was handsome in a non-descript, pleasant way, with dark brown hair and eyes and a straight-backed, compact grace that made him look taller than he was.

Then the stranger gripped his arm, clasping wrists, greeting dying in his throat as a jerk of electricity shot between them. The grip became a power struggle as the newcomer shoved Emily behind him, his gaze narrowing. Daegon felt his wolf howl involuntarily, but managed to keep the sound internal, tightening his grip to just short of crushing. The man grunted, his scowl deepening.

"Em, get everyone out of here," the brown-eyed man said very calmly.

"I'm not what you think," Daegon said with equal calm.

"You sure as hell are," snarled the ranger. "Em, go!"

"Taris, stop it," Emily said irritably. "Daegon's okay. No evil, which you'd sense if you'd stop thinking with your nose. Daeg, this is my brother. Do I have to stun you both, or are you going to behave?" She glared at them impartially.

"Pleased to meet you," Daegon offered, not easing his grip as Taris hadn't. Daegon approved; if their positions were reversed, he wouldn't have let up either. Then something Emily had said registered, and he blurted, "He can smell me too? What is it, a family talent?"

"Well, no," Taris said, looking at Daegon with marginally less suspicion. "I just have a talent for sensing animals...you mean Em can smell you?"

"Long story," Daegon shrugged, grinning. "Your sister has many talents."

Taris gave him a long assessing look, and Daegon felt a slight tingle as the other man shifted his senses, his face registering surprise. "You're right, Emmy, he's not evil."

"Well of course I'm right, moron," Emily made the insult sound endearing. "Are you two done, or should I get a chamber pot?"

Daegon had been so intent on his exchange with Taris he hadn't noticed until now that she, Mendel, and Dehn had quietly ringed the three of them, tensed and ready. Fitz grinned and made a rude comment about pissing contests, and everyone relaxed. The tension broken, introductions were made and ale ordered, as the six went inside and found a corner to chat.

"I got your letter, Em," Taris explained, sipping his tankard. He raised a brow at the casual arm Daegon slung around his sister but made no comment. "Where's Glenna?"

"Due back any minute," Dehn announced cheerfully. "We agreed to meet back here today."

The ranger nodded, taking another swallow of ale. "I stopped by to see Mother," Taris reported, and Emily smiled. "She's doing well, and sends her love. Rhys and Tasha are with her, and have set up a training hall. You should visit," he admonished gently.

"I plan to, soon," Emmy promised. "How are the girls?"

"Growing like weeds and tormenting their parents," Taris grinned. "Cormac and Sylvie are thinking of joining the business, hauling their four hooligans along. Mama will be in raptures."

"Six grandkids to spoil on a daily basis? Of course. And did she scold you for not settling down yet?" Emmy smiled and sipped her tea, Spike resting his head in her lap.

"Same as always," Taris said ruefully.

"Taris is the eldest," Emmy explained impishly, grinning at her brother. "Mama is of the opinion he should be married and respectable by now."

"Gods help you, brother," Mendel said with feeling.

"Protective Mum, eh?" Dehn grinned broadly at Mendel. "And here I thought you sprang forth from Mystra's head, full grown."

Mendel gave Dehn a speaking look and sipped his wine without further comment. Taris grinned.

"Mothers are universal," he quipped. "A blessing and a plague to their children. Gods love 'em all."

"Here, here," Fizzy toasted, and everyone laughed. "Three brothers, Emmy?" She asked with interest.

"Four," Emily sighed theatrically. "All quite a bit older than me. Evean is the youngest, nine years my senior. Then Cormac, three years over him, Rhys next, two years older, and Taris here, eldest by four summers."

"And Em's the baby," Taris concluded comfortably. "The accident of the family."

"Oh, give over Tarry," Em chuckled, watching him wince at the childhood nickname. "You're just jealous I got all the attention."

"Nah, just remembering all the scrapes we dug you and Glenn out of," Taris countered. "Until you married Garrick, anyway. Then it was his problem."

"So where's Evean?" Daegon asked curiously, to cover the brief silence the mention of Emmy's late husband invoked.

"Probably with some tavern wench, or dicing, or raising hell in a dungeon somewhere," Taris shrugged. "He doesn't keep in touch much. I'd worry if he wasn't one of the luckiest bastards I've ever met," he added with brotherly unconcern.

"I miss Ev," Emmy said softly. "But I did wonder sometimes if he was a changeling." She finished her tea and poured another, scratching Spike behind the ears.

Daegon looked between the siblings and burst into uproarious laughter.

"Em, you're mutt's laughing at you," Taris signaled for more ale.

"I'm pretty sure it's you he's laughing at. And he's not a mutt." Emmy corrected with a warning scowl.

"Actually, it's both of you," Glenna snickered, catching the last of the conversation as she and Bran grabbed chairs. "Hey, Tanny, good to see you." She pecked her cousin on the cheek and sat. "But Em's right, Daeg's not a mutt. Show some respect."

"I notice no one's disputing he's Emmy's," Taris said with some annoyance. Daegon stopped laughing, and the rest of the party stared.

Emmy cleared her throat, and Daegon was pleased to see she wasn't blushing. She looked on the verge of ripping her brother's face off.

"As a matter of fact...." She began hotly.

"Yes, I am," Daegon said calmly, meeting Taris' eyes squarely. "If she'll have me." He took Emily's hand and kissed it, not looking away from her brother.

"I see," Taris studied Daegon's face a long moment, then looked at his sister.

"Not. One. Word." Emmy warned. Taris grinned.

"Well, it figures Emmy'd find a wild one," he chuckled. "But you seem all right. Mind you, there's four of us," he gave a half-serious scowl. "She is our baby sister, you know."

LadyArielle
LadyArielle
97 Followers
1...34567...9