Mending Fences

Story Info
A phone call to mend fences changes lives forever.
20.7k words
4.76
38.8k
50
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers

"Ella, I can't thank you enough for this."

"You don't need to thank me. You're my brother, and I'm their aunt."

She waited for a moment then said, "And I loved Diane like my own sister."

Her brother looked over at her as they drove home from the airport and said, "And she loved you, too. And as I said, you can have her car. No charge. It's just my way of saying thanks."

He held out his hand and his sister took it and squeezed it.

"My thanks to you, too. And we'll get through this. I promise," she assured him.

"Now that you're here, I'm starting to believe that's possible."

"Steve? You need to keep in mind that this is as important for me as it is for you."

"Yeah, we're both kind of broken, aren't we?" her older brother mused as he let go of her hand. "My wife is dead and you're husband cheated on you. Repeatedly."

He looked over at her then said, "Who could have possibly imagined?"

Ella sighed then told him she agreed.

"Everything seemed so perfect. For both of us."

"It was. Until life threw us both a curveball."

"Neither one of us did anything wrong, and yet here we are, in our 40s and all alone."

"Listen to you. You just turned 40 last month, and you're talking like you're over the hill," her brother teased.

"It's different for women, though. You're 42 and just getting a touch of gray around your temples. Women think that's distinguished and even a little sexy."

"A little gray? I'm pretty much such salt and pepper on the top, too."

He glanced over again then said, "I'm your brother, so this may not matter much to you, but I can tell you you're still beautiful, sis."

He saw her roll her eyes and said, "I'm serious. When you were here for Diane's funeral, I had three of my friends tell me my sister was hot. One said, 'hot as as hell'."

"Yeah, right," Ella said with a dismissive laugh.

She had a hard time giving herself credit these days, but the truth was she looked very good for a woman who'd just turned 40. Her body was still firm, nothing was 'sagging', and her face was still her best feature. Between her very-dark hair, hazel eyes, and beautiful smile, she caught the attention of nearly every straight man she passed.

"I am right, you know. Or rather...they were right. You look good, El. Really good."

"Well, thank you, but after being told I wasn't enough and living alone the last six months or so, I don't exactly feel like any of those things, but it's nice to hear someone say it."

She smiled then said, "Even if it is my brother."

He laughed then told her the kids couldn't wait to see their favorite aunt.

"I'm their only aunt," she pointed out with a laugh.

"True but they are excited about you coming to live with us."

He looked over one more time then told her, "And again, I can't put into words how grateful I am to you for doing this."

"You're not ready to hear this yet, but you will find someone else, Steve. And when you do, she'll be the kind of woman who'll love your children as much as you do."

"You're right. It is too early. You're also right about finding someone. Eventually. I suppose somewhere deep down I believe what you said, but that's still down the road a good ways."

"And I'm not just returning the compliment. You're a very nice looking guy. And you have to know that being a Marine fighter pilot is a huge plus for a whole lot of women."

"I'll take your word for that," her brother said before asking a question.

"Are you keeping his last name?"

"For now. I've thought about it, but it really isn't a big deal to me. The drinking and the infidelity and then the divorce consumed me, and all I wanted was out."

She looked over at her brother then asked, "Why? Do you think I should change it back to Pratt?"

"It's not my decision, Ella. Curtis isn't a bad last name. I was just curious."

His sister kind of shrugged and those were the last words they spoke until they got to his house where the kids got more excited than he'd seen them before they learned their mom's aggressive form of cancer was incurable.

Steve's older child, Derek, was twelve while his daughter, Chloe, had just turned nine. Both of them were quiet, sweet kids, and even more so since losing their mother. Chloe was the more vocal of the two, but she wasn't loud or aggressive by any means.

Ella had no intention of trying to replace her sister in law, but she hoped that being there full-time would make things easier for them while she worked on recovery from a terrible marriage and the pain that came with having to end it.

And since her brother had an in-law suite in the house, staying with them was made a lot easier than if she had to live inside the house itself. It was attached, but it was separated by a little walkway, and for whatever reason, it made Ella feel better about moving in knowing she'd have some privacy whenever she needed it.

******

Three months later

"I'll get it!" Chloe said when the phone rang.

Steve kept a landline at the house just in case there wasn't any cell service. As the commanding officer of a flying squadron located at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in the town of Havelock, North Carolina, he needed to be available 24/7 no matter what.

"Yes. This is the Pratt residence. May I ask who's calling?"

Her father sensed it was for him and moved next to her, waiting to be handed the phone.

"Yes. He's right here. Just a moment, okay?" she said very politely and impressively.

"Hello?" Steve said.

"Sir? Is this...or was this...Captain Pratt?"

Steve laughed and said, "It was. May I ask who's calling?"

"Sir. This is one of the biggest...."

He hesitated before using profanity but knew it was a word every Marine used to describe a fellow Marine who was a total loser.

"One of the biggest shit birds you ever knew."

Steve laughed then said, "I've known several, so you'll have to narrow it down for me."

"I was Lance Corporal Reynolds when I worked for you back when you were...."

"Oh. Okay. Yeah, sure. I remember you, and you weren't all that bad," the Marine lieutenant colonel said, knowing he wasn't being totally truthful.

Then again, Reynolds was by no means the worst Marine he'd ever met, but he'd been somewhere in the bottom 10% to be sure. Then-captain Pratt was just months away from being Major Pratt, and now, not quite five years later, he'd been promoted yet again.

"You're being too nice, sir, but thank you," the younger man said. "Anyway, the reason I called was I guess I just wanted you to know that sometimes leopards do change their spots."

Steve had used that saying so many times he'd lost count, and rightly assumed that former-Lance Corporal Reynolds had heard him say it.

"I also believe there are exceptions to every rule," Steve told him with a little laugh.

"I like to think I'm one of them, sir. I left active duty after four years then went to college, and now I'm teaching high school and coaching wrestling."

More than a little bit surprised, Steve shared his feelings.

"I'm really glad to hear that...."

He paused then said, "I don't believe I know your first name."

"It's Chase. Sir."

"Chase. Okay. And please call me Steve."

"Wow. I uh, I'm not sure I can do that," Chase told him with genuine surprise of his own.

Steve chuckled then said, "Well, the offer stands anytime you're ready to take me up on it."

"I appreciate that...."

Now Chase hesitated then asked, "Are you...a colonel now?"

"No. Lieutenant colonel."

Chase laughed then told him it was the same to him. Steve also laughed and assured his former charge that there was a world of difference between the two ranks as a colonel would be in charge of four or five flying squadrons while Steve was responsible for just one.

Chase laughed nervously then said, "I also wanted to let you know that I recently moved to New Bern to take my current teaching job, and since you're just down the road at Cherry Point, I was hoping I might have the opportunity to maybe stop by and...."

Cherry Point was the name of the Marine Corps Air Station which was located in the town of Havelock, but to Marines they were pretty much synonymous.

"Yes! Absolutely. Just let me know what works for you, and we'll figure something out and make that happen."

"Great. I...I was a little nervous about calling you because I was such a...total loser...as a Marine, but you were the one officer who always took the time to answer my endless questions about things like 'why are we doing this?' or 'what good is that?', etc."

Steve laughed when he recalled one of those sessions where then-LCpl Reynolds had indeed asked 'why' time and time and time again. Then-Captain Pratt had answered every one of his questions as though they were sincere rather than just grousing, and evidently, it had made an impression on the young Marine.

"I remember," Steve told him.

"I do apologize, sir. But I really have changed, and I suppose my real purpose in calling was to try and make amends and let someone who cared know that his patience and understanding made a difference."

"I gotta tell you, that's really nice to hear, Chase. And I look forward to getting together. In fact, while I've got you on the phone, is this weekend good for you?"

"Um...sure. Absolutely."

"Okay. I'll check with my sister and make sure she's onboard then I'll text you at this number if you don't mind."

"No. Not at all, sir," Chase said, as he wondered but didn't ask why he needed to check with his sister and not his wife. He'd only seen Captain Pratt's wife once, but he'd never forgotten her. She was so hot she'd made an indelible impression on the young, 19-year old Marine, and he was hoping she hadn't left her husband...or worse.

"Okay. I'll get back to you as soon as...."

Ella walked in just as he was getting ready to hang up.

"Hold on. Speak of my sister...and she shall appear!" Steve said.

Chase heard her reply and laughed.

"Did you just call me the devil?"

He explained what was going on, and Chase also heard her say, "Oh, sure. That sounds nice. How about Saturday around...seven?"

"Chase? Is 1900 okay?"

Chase still knew military time and managed not to laugh hearing it for the first time in several years.

"Sounds great, sir. I'll see you then."

"You have the address?"

"Um...I uh, I don't," Chase said, his feelings of pride dwindling away as he momentarily felt like the old Chase Reynolds who never planned ahead for anything.

"No worries. We live at...."

"Okay. Got it. I'll see you then...sir."

When he hung up, Ella asked about their visitor and got the short version of the story.

"That's very impressive, don't you think?"

"It is. Especially considering what he was like back then. He referred to himself as a sh...total loser...and while I tried to assure him that wasn't the case, he was definitely one of the 10% who take up 90% of your time."

"I'm all about second chances, and if he's turned his life around, I say good for him."

Steve knew she'd given her former husband a second chance—and a third—before finally giving up, although he was the one who made the decision to walk away. And the truth was, Ella was right, and her brother felt the same way about this former 'lost sheep' and found himself looking forward to meeting the new Chase Reynolds—spots and all.

"Aunt Ella? Is someone coming over?"

Derek had quietly entered the room, and as often happened, no one heard him.

"Oh. Hi, buddy. Yes. Someone who used to work for your dad called, and he's coming for dinner this weekend."

"Oh," the boy quietly replied, causing his aunt to wonder what was bothering him.

"Is that okay?" she asked him.

"Sure. It's fine."

Ella felt like she knew what was going on and asked, "Were you hoping your dad might have a...date?"

"I don't know," he said without looking at him.

Suddenly it occurred to her that her nephew meant the opposite.

"You know that no one will ever take your mom's place, right?"

Derek finally looked at her, and when he did, she knew she'd gotten it right.

"We don't need a new mom anyway."

"No?"

"No. You're here, so why would we?" Derek replied as though he were trying to convince her.

Rather than try and convince him, Ella hugged him and told him that made sense.

He hugged her back so tight it made her sad as she tried to understand how difficult this had been on him. Derek wasn't a 'momma's boy', but he'd been even closer to his mother than his sister who was a daddy's girl if there ever was one.

"Aunt Ella?"

"Uh-huh?"

Derek stepped back then looked up at her again.

"Will you leave us, too?"

Her heart breaking, she bent down and said, "Honey. I have no intention of leaving you, but you know I can't stay here forever, right?"

Derek looked down at the floor then said, "I guess."

Ella put her hands on his shoulders, smiled then told him she wouldn't be going anywhere anytime soon.

"Promise?"

"Yes. I promise."

Satisfied for the time being, he went back to his room leaving her with her big brother.

"You're really good with the kids, El."

"They're so easy to be good with."

"Yeah, they are good kids, aren't they?"

"The best. I'd love to have one or two of my own someday, but time is running out for me."

"Hey! None of that! You're still plenty young enough to have a family."

Ella smiled wistfully thens said, "Thanks to you and the kids, I do have a family. I'd just like to have a child of my own before it's too late."

"Just because you're living here doesn't mean you can't date," her brother reminded her.

"Date. Ugh! That sounds so...daunting!"

Steve laughed and told her he understood, and Ella felt bad knowing it had to be even more so for him than it was for her.

"So. What should I make for dinner when the Prodigal Son comes to visit?"

Her brother laughed again before saying it was up to her.

"Do you think he's a vegan?" Ella asked.

Steve gave her the skunk eye look, and she said a bit defensively, "That is possible, you know."

"He's a Marine. Marines are meat eaters."

He tried not to smile then said, "And steely-eyed MiG killers."

"Yeah, right. Keep talking, Maverick," she teased, using the Top Gun reference to remind her brother that no Russian MiGs had been brought down by hotshot US fighter pilots since Vietnam.

What little Ella knew about the military came from her conversations with Steve over the years, and he didn't talk about work much on those occasions when they got together. So while she was sparse on details, she kind of had a big-picture view of what each service did, but even there she knew she'd be unable to answer simple, Jeopardy-like questions.

But she did know the movie Top Gun, and she also knew it had so many mistakes and caricatures of the military in it, that Steve hated it. But Tom Cruise had been so 'yummy' back then that Ella had watched it several times over the years and would gladly watch it again.

Saturday morning Ella was up early as usual and had gone to a yoga class at 6:30am and still got home in time to make breakfast. As she got things ready she smiled when she wondered if the only male in the class had been flirting with her. He had a man bun, and while that ruled him out immediately in her book, he was nonetheless very cute, albeit a little too young.

Still, it was nice to think that a nice looking, single man of any age might want to flirt with her, and it gave her hope that she might one day meet someone who was age...and hair...appropriate. She wasn't a 'hair snob' by any means. Hair, receding hair or no hair at all were all okay with her as long as there wasn't a combover going on. And while it wasn't a dealbreaker, it would be nice if he still had a reasonably flat stomach.

Other than that, it would be more about personality, a thought that made her smile again as she thought about the old saying, "He has a great personality," which was essentially code for being unattractive.

By lunchtime she knew what she wanted to make and told Steve she was going to the store to buy the things she needed. Chloe wanted to stay with her dad, but Derek wanted to with his surrogate mom even though buying groceries was about as boring as it got. Ella knew he'd have his phone with him and be playing some game, and that was just fine with her. Derek didn't really talk much, he just needed to be around her, and that was also okay, too, because she didn't particularly like being alone herself.

Feeling ambitious, Ella decided to make lasagna and a blueberry cobbler she hadn't had in years but dearly loved. It was her mother's recipe and had a crust that was to-die-for delicious. Derek dutifully followed her around the store, paying no attention and asking for only one thing. A diet Coke at the checkout counter.

"Yeah, I suppose I can swing that," she told him when he asked.

She was being playful, but Derek barely reacted which again broke her heart. But after she let him take one from the soft drink case at the register, he shocked her when he gave her a hug after thanking him for it.

It surprised her so much she felt herself tearing up and told her nephew he was welcome.

"My mom used to let me get one whenever we went shopping," he told her, something she didn't know. But now it made sense to her and she felt much better as the cashier rang them up.

By 6pm, the lasagna was in the oven and around 6:30 Steve asked what smelled so good. Ella told him about the entree and dessert and got a thumb's up for her choices.

"I left the meat out of a quarter of it just in case," she informed her brother who gave her another 'you gotta be kidding' look.

She was putting garlic bread in the oven when the doorbell rang, and she laughed when she heard Chloe hollering, "I'll get it!"

Her father followed her to the door, and as soon as Chloe opened it, Ella heard her brother say, "Chase! How the hell are you?"

She also heard their guests's reply of, "Good, sir. Really good. How are you?"

With the cobbler done, the lasagna cooling, and the bread in the oven, Ella took a quick peek to see who this mystery man was, and when she saw him, it surprised her so much that the surprise itself surprised her.

Chase was a good two inches taller than Steve who was a shade over six feet. And while Steve was still in very good shape for a 42-year old man, Chase had a body she couldn't help but notice. She didn't know he'd wrestled in high school and then in college after a four-year break in which he'd never been on a mat. But after getting cut his freshman year, Chase made the team as a sophomore, and by the time he graduated, he had a very respectable winning record in the 184-pound weight class.

Beyond that, he looked nothing like Ella had imagined. She'd pictured a lanky, skinny, nerdy looking guy with glasses, but Chase was the opposite in every way. He had well-defined masculine features, high cheekbones, and a square jaw. His face was very handsome with bright, blue eyes, and in the brief moment she'd looked, she also noticed a very nice smile and a pleasant voice.

"Come in and meet the kids then I'll introduce you to my sister," Steve said.

"You've met Chloe here, who still hasn't said hello."

"Hello," Chloe, who was unusually shy, said to their guest.

Chase bent down, smiled then said, "It's very nice to meet you, Chloe."

Ella was still in the kitchen but found herself sneaking several other quick looks during the interaction as Derek came out and also said 'hello'.

"Chase? This is my son, Derek."

"Oh, okay."

Chase didn't bend down but smiled and said to Derek, "A future wrestler?"

"I don't know," Derek said, not really even looking up.

"Anything is possible," his father replied for him before asking Chase to come with him to meet Ella even though Derek hadn't expressed any interest in any sport.

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers