Michelle Makes a Move

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Michelle nodded.

"Absolutely. Some of the older reporters talk about how they didn't have to worry about social media or 24-hour internet news, so they could just focus on reporting and writing. No video. No tweets. One deadline per day, two on a busy day. Sounds like heaven. I feel like I never get to turn it all off, even when I'm away from work."

"You're not alone in that. I love my cell phone, but sometimes I feel like throwing it into the lake just so I can get some peace."

"How un-Millennial of you!"

"Please don't tell the others! My generation would disown me!"

Michelle sat back, her mood shifting.

"I can't imagine anyone disowning you."

Kryssa shrugged.

"My grandmother nearly did once."

Michelle eyes widened.

"Whatever for?"

"When I came out. I was just 16 and starting my junior year, but I'd known forever, and it seemed unbearable to pretend anymore. My parents and brother were just great, but my dad's mother swore I'd brought shame on the family. She cried and insisted she would never be able to hold her head up in public again if I didn't give up my quote-unquote foolishness." She frowned with remembered irritation. "What would her friends say? Worse, what would our priest say? As if I had come out specifically to embarrass her! You'd have thought I was planning to have some kind of lesbian orgy on the altar at church, the way she carried on."

Michelle stiffened. "What a bitch!"

"She was pretty horrible for a month or two, but my grandfather finally talked some sense into her. And I will say, she gave me a very handsome apology right before Thanksgiving dinner, and thank God she did."

"Because?"

"She was diagnosed with ovarian cancer two weeks later. We lost her right after Easter. I hate to think of her dying and us not being reconciled." Kryssa sighed. "But here I am going on and on about myself. What about you? What's your situation?"

Michelle's gaze dropped to her mostly empty plate as she fiddled with her fork and knife, wondering how to avoid this new topic.

"I didn't realize you were gay," she said, stalling. "I mean, your outfit tonight is... not what I would expect. You look like a model..." Her voice trailed off.

"I'm a person, not a stereotype," Kryssa replied briskly. "As it happens, I did used to model. It gave me a taste for beautiful clothes. But that was a long time ago. These days, I'm usually at the tomboy end of the fashion spectrum, but I do like to go girly sometimes and dress up. Besides, this dress is both cool and comfortable."

An awkward silence descended for the next couple of minutes as Kryssa calmly resumed eating and Michelle looked anywhere but at her companion and dug into the rest of her meal as well.

"It's OK if you don't want to talk about your life, but frankly, it's a little odd," Kryssa finally said. "I'm not trying to pry, but I am interested in whether you're seeing anyone, or married."

"Oh. Um, well, I'm not married and I'm not seeing anyone. My mom says I'll never meet anyone unless he trips over my computer at work and falls in my lap."

"Oh, so you're straight, then?" Kryssa kept her tone friendly and light, as if any answer, positive or negative, was fine with her.

Michelle bit her lip.

"I've never been with a woman."

Kryssa cocked her head.

"Does that mean you don't want to, or you just haven't yet?" she asked gently.

Michelle looked vaguely ashamed.

"It means I don't know." She gulped. "Actually, I think I do know, but if I say it out loud, that'll make it real, and then I'll have to deal with all the blowback from my family."

Kryssa reached over the table and lightly touched Michelle's arm.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable. I made assumptions I should not have made, and I apologize for that. We can close this topic and move on, if you want."

"I don't know what I want!" Michelle's voice quivered, and Kryssa's heart ached for her new friend.

"Fair enough. Tell you what -- let's finish up here and go for a drive. It's a beautiful evening and we can feel some wind in our hair and look at the stars. What do you think?"

"That sounds great. Why don't you go ahead? I'll settle up and see you outside."

"Sure. I'll meet you at the Miata."

Outside, Kryssa drummed her fingers on the steering wheel. It seemed obvious that Michelle was deeply conflicted. Did she really want to take on someone who wasn't sure of herself and her orientation? More than one of her friends had been burned by confused straight women who eventually returned to men. She didn't fancy that role. An uncomplicated person herself, Kryssa wanted the same in a partner: someone comfortable and solid and willing to give of herself completely in a relationship.

Lost in thought, she didn't notice Michelle approach the car and jumped when the other woman touched her arm.

"You were a million miles away," Michelle said, settling into her seat. "Whatever were you thinking about?"

"About a dozen different things -- as usual," Kryssa replied, starting the engine to forestall further chat. "How does a drive along the river sound?"

"Perfect. Let's go!"

It's hard to beat a convertible ride on a sultry summer evening as the sun sinks towards the horizon. Both women tied their hair back to keep the wind from tangling it, then fully enjoyed the intimacy with the open air and environment that only a convertible can provide. As Kryssa turned south on River Road and navigated its twists and turns, she could feel herself relax. Beside her, Michelle's face shone with joy in this new adventure.

"What do you think of the Miata now?" Kryssa asked after they passed through Maumee and the road opened up.

"It's just as wonderful as I had always hoped. You're a great driver. So confident."

Kryssa laughed. "I've always loved cars -- my brother's the same way. In fact, a couple of years ago, he gave me the best present ever -- a day at a car track, driving high-performance vehicles. It was amazing!"

"I had no idea that was a thing."

"It's big business for a select few. Shows like Top Gear have made them more popular, I think."

"Top Gear? You mean Top Gun?"

"No, Top Gear is a British car show. You should check it out. It's hilarious! Anyway, I spent the morning with an instructor showing me how to drive on a track, steer out of a skid, take corners, all at high speeds. Then I got to go out on my own, and that was even better."

She glanced slyly at Michelle. "Speaking of Top Gun, though, I feel a need..."

"A need for speed!" Michelle answered.

Both women laughed as Kryssa accelerated.

"Thank God," Michelle said. "You like '80s movies!"

"Love 'em. But that one's special to my family. My parents saw it on their first date, and got married six months later."

"Wow. Your dad's fast worker."

"Well, they had been friends since they were 16, and my dad was a tall, good-looking blond stud, if I can say that about my own father. I've seen pictures. Mom never had a chance."

Michelle could relate. They lapsed into silence as Kryssa negotiated a couple of turns, and she took another opportunity to watch her companion. She had no difficulty imagining Kryssa as a female version of a tall, good-looking stud.

"What's next?" she finally asked.

"I'm thinking, let's pull into one of the little parks along the river and watch the sky turn to night and the stars come out."

"I'd love that."

Kryssa smiled slightly, and Michelle nestled into her seat. When had she last enjoyed an evening like this? Even with the awkward silence at the restaurant, this was better than any date Michelle had had in years. But this wasn't a date, Michelle reminded herself. This was two acquaintances getting to know each other. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing anyone in her family could object to.

She sighed and sneaked one more look at Kryssa's profile just as the last of the sun's rays caught her. She looked like a goddess, gilded by light. Sighing, Michelle wrenched her eyes from the glowing sight. Why did life have to be so complicated?

Kryssa pulled into a graveled parking area that had an unimpeded view of the river mirroring the spectacular western sky above it. She killed the engine, undid her seat belt and stretched her arms high.

"Perfect, isn't it? Let's get out." She opened her door and gracefully swung her legs out. Michelle could believe she had once worked as a model.

"Perfect," Michelle echoed, stealing a final glance at her companion before leaving her seat and joining Kryssa next to the car. "I've never seen the river look so beautiful."

They stood next to each other for a couple of minutes, each lost in her own world.

"My dad used to bring us down here to fish, by which I mean that he fished and kept Karl and me from drowning each other," Kryssa said at last. "We loved it down here. Always something new to see or do. And lots of hidden places where you could just ... be."

"I like those kinds of places too," Michelle said. "I used to hide behind a lilac tree in the backyard. I'd spend hours back there making up stories, pretending to be other people or animals."

"No wonder you became a writer. Sounds like it was meant to be."

"No one else in the family writes. They think I'm kind of nuts, but they're proud of me too. My dad loves to see my byline. My mom is a little less enthusiastic, but that's because I cover crime. She worries I'll uncover some massive crime ring and get hurt or something."

"Does that ever happen?"

Michelle snorted. "In Toledo? Are you kidding me? Sure, we have criminals here, but the likelihood of my getting caught up in something major is pretty slim. I mostly report what the cops give me. Since the night cops reporter quit, and they didn't replace him, I'm so slammed that I don't have time for any kind of investigative work. My last big series was more than a year ago."

"What was it about?"

"Human trafficking."

"That sounds like it could get you into a lot of trouble if you got too close to the wrong people."

"Unlikely. They didn't give me enough time to really dig deep." Michelle paused. "I got to know a victim sort of well though. A young woman. She was just a few years younger than me. She could have been my kid sister."

Even in the fading light, Kryssa could see the sadness in Michelle's eyes.

"Do you want to tell me?"

Slowly, the story tumbled out as Kryssa listened quietly. When Michelle spoke about Lindy's death, Kryssa put her hand on her friend's shoulder. Michelle didn't shrug or pull away, so she left it there as Michelle told her she suspected the young woman had taken her own life.

"I'm so sorry. That must have been awful for you."

"It was. Lindy felt broken and used, and she couldn't imagine ever escaping that life. She had tried to run away, but her pimp found her and beat her and forced her to keep working for him. He broke her nose and wouldn't let her get it fixed -- just to teach her who was boss."

"That's terrible."

"The worst part was, she reminded me of myself. Underneath it all, Lindy was so bright; articulate and thoughtful. She could have lived a good life, made something of herself. She never got the chance."

Tears ran down her face as she remembered the young woman.

"I'm so sorry," Kryssa repeated, sliding her hand up to stroke Michelle's hair. "It's hard for you, still. I wish I could help."

She leaned over to give Michelle a side hug, and felt her melt into her arm. Without thinking, she gently kissed Michelle's cheek. Feeling the other woman stiffen, she leaned back and re-centered herself.

"I wasn't coming on to you. I just wanted to comfort you. I'm sorry if I did the wrong thing."

Michelle sighed, and reached over to pat Kryssa's arm.

"It's OK. To be honest, I was wondering if that would happen."

"Did you want it to happen?"

Michelle stood still for a long moment, not seeing the darkening sky or feeling the slight breeze off the river.

"Yes," she finally whispered. "Yes, I did."

Kryssa looked up at the sky, hoping to ease the intensity between them. As they stood there, almost touching, a bright star appeared near the horizon and she smiled in response.

"Look -- that's Venus."

"Goddess of love?"

"Well, yes. They named it before they knew the planet's hot atmosphere wouldn't sustain life."

"How romantic."

Kryssa grinned. "I always liked astronomy and the Greek myths."

"So you know art, fashion, architecture, home repair, food, cars and astronomy. Is there anything you don't know?"

"Sure. I don't know how magicians do their tricks, I don't know why so many people turn into jerks online -- and I don't know how this evening will end."

"How do you want it to end?"

"I'm in a deserted parking lot with a beautiful woman as a brilliant sunset fades into night and the crickets are starting their song. What do you think?"

"I think..."

Heart pounding, Michelle placed her hand on Kryssa's. Startled, the blonde turned her head.

"You might want..."

Michelle leaned forward into Kryssa's space.

"One of these."

A soft kiss landed on Kryssa's cheek just as gravel crunched behind them. They whirled in surprise to see another car rolling into the lot, puncturing their peaceful bubble.

Kryssa glanced at the new arrivals and stiffened.

"Get in the car. Right now."

She ran around the car and flung herself into the driver's seat even as she turned the key. The Miata started moving even before Michelle could close her door. Shadowed figures ran towards them, but Kryssa dodged them and tore out of the parking lot.

"Damn dykes!" someone shouted and they could hear doors slam and the other car's tires squeal as they gripped the asphalt and began to give chase.

"How did you know?" Michelle gasped, gripping the door handle for dear life.

"Instinct. Call the cops!"

"Of course." Clumsy with adrenaline, Michelle fumbled for her phone. She brought up a favorite number and quickly punched in a text as the Miata's speed increased. She stared at the phone, willing a response.

"You don't seem to be talking to anyone," Kryssa said grimly.

"I texted a friend with the Maumee police. She should be working patrol tonight. It'll be faster."

"Did they really call us dykes?"

"Yep."

"No one's ever called me that." Her phone's text alarm beeped and Michelle stabbed at the screen to access the message.

"She's on the way! She'll meet us coming. She knows to look for a Miata." Michelle's voice quavered with relief. She didn't dare look behind them, or at the speedometer. She closed her eyes, feeling the tension practically vibrating from Kryssa as she navigated the river road at speeds Michelle never would have attempted. Her heart pounded and she opened her mouth to breathe, feeling like even the great outdoors was a little short on oxygen at the moment.

Behind them, their pursuers honked and flashed their lights.

"Bastards!" Kryssa swore. Despite the Miata's power, the other car was slowly catching up. Rounding a curve, she spotted distant but rapidly advancing flashing red and blue lights. She took heart at the sight and loosened her death grip on the steering wheel, but did not let up.

Several seconds later, the car behind her slowed abruptly, seeing the lights approaching on the straight stretch of road. Tires screeching, the car made a quick U-turn and set off the other way, but it was too late. The police cruiser passed the Miata and roared up behind it. Michelle turned as Kryssa took her foot off the gas, watching the other car speed up momentarily, but then slow down and stop in defeat.

Kryssa pulled to the side of the road, cut the engine and sighed heavily. Her armpits prickled with tension and sweat, and she could feel the blood pounding in her face. "Now what?"

Michelle jabbed at the phone, sending another text. "I just told her we'd meet her at the station."

"Give me a minute."

Michelle regarded her panting friend with awe as realization of what had just happened broke over her like a wave.

"That was the most amazing piece of driving I've ever seen! You were magnificent!"

Trembling with exertion and adrenaline, Kryssa turned towards Michelle.

"Really?"

Shaking, Michelle leaned forward and kissed Kryssa. Both women moaned as their soft lips met.

"Hell yes!"

A mischievous glint appeared in Kryssa's eyes.

"Does that mean I really can take you anywhere?"

"Hell yes," Michelle repeated. "Hey, you're shaking. Do you want me to drive now?"

"Nah. I can get us to the police station. You may need to drive us home, though. Adrenaline rushes like that are exhausting."

"You've got a deal."

Kryssa shook herself slightly and turned on the engine. She stroked the dashboard with fondness. "Such a good little car!"

"The best," Michelle agreed.

"I have to admit, I've never had a date quite like this one," Kryssa remarked.

Abruptly returning to reality, Michelle's heart sank at the thought of her family's reaction to that.

"It's not a date."

"Yes, it is," Kryssa replied. "Since when is dinner and a car chase not a date?"

"I'm not gay."

Kryssa felt her temper spark.

"So you kiss everyone like you just kissed me?"

"Well, no. Those were ... extenuating circumstances."

"I can tell you're a writer, hiding behind those big words."

"I can't be gay."

"Really? You could have fooled me."

"I can't be gay," Michelle repeated.

"Well, I can't be bothered," Kryssa snapped. "Let's give our statement to the cops, then I will drive you back to the restaurant so you can get your car, and that'll be that. We'll delete each other's numbers and pretend this evening never happened. Do you think you can do that?"

"But -- we can't just be friends? I really like you."

"We could have been just friends before you kissed me. And remember that, next time you're denying who you really are. You. Kissed. Me. Not the other way around, Little Miss Straight Girl."

Unable to think of a response, Michelle fell silent as Kryssa drove them to the police station. She could see Kryssa's point. She had kissed her -- and she had enjoyed it, much more than she ever had liked kissing a man. But she could also see her family judging her, shunning her as she confessed to falling for another woman. They would make her life hell.

She shot a quick glance back at Kryssa. The dashboard lights revealed a stony face with pursed lips and a vein throbbing in her temple. Michelle looked away and closed her eyes, breathing deeply, trying to calm her body, mind and soul. Yes, her family would make her life hell. But maybe Kryssa could make it heaven?

Michelle opened her eyes when the car stopped for a traffic light.

"Would you mind telling me where I can find the police station?" Kryssa asked, her tone cool.

"Where are we now?"

"Conant Street."

"We're practically there. Take a left and go two blocks. It's on the right."

"Mmph." To Michelle, it sounded like grunt of acknowledgement, if not thanks. But at least it broke the silence.

"I'm sorry," she began as Kryssa slowed down to turn.

"Don't be. You've said all along you were straight. I chose to believe your actions rather than your words. I should have known better."

"Look, I know you're mad and I truly am sorry. But even before the car chase, this evening was a lot for me to process. My heart's still pounding and I'm sure I smell flop-sweaty. Please just -- give me some time?"

Sighing, Kryssa parked the Miata, patted its dash, and opened her door.

"I hear what you're saying, and I appreciate your position. But I'm not some kind of starter girlfriend you can return if you don't like her. I'm a real person, with wants and needs. I can't see a future for us if you're still figuring out who you really are. It's unfair of you to ask." She paused, then said more gently, "The answer's no."