Millstone - Novel 01 Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"That sounds un-Goth-like of you," I said. "I thought Goths were all pessimistic and dwelling on the macabre."

"That's a stereotype," she said, "but no doubt some do. I used to lean that direction, but then I realized that if the world could ever get better, we must do the work. So, I got off my duff and did something."

"The police say James hasn't killed anyone; they ruled Tommy's death a suicide. What would you like us to do, really?"

"Just be there," she said. "The guests consist of city officials, wealthy donors, neighbors, the local media (just the newspaper and channel five), and the entire crew who helped move and restore the home (including James Malor). He met Tommy on the job; they both worked for the crew. At the end of the evening, after everyone else leaves, I have a little memorial planned for Tommy, so I invited to the party Tommy's friends and people who helped him, including Sister Foustina."

She leaned forward onto the table as we got down to brass tax. "I'm willing to pay you whatever number you throw at me, even if it's utterly outrageous."

"Let me consult with my associate for a moment." I looked at Max, who had a big smile on his face. He obviously wanted to do it. "Are you willing to escort and assist however you can?"

"Absolutely," he said, "whatever you need, I'll do it."

"Very well then," I said to Winter, "we'll do it. I think about two thousand will fit the bill."

She laughed. "Oh, Millstone, I haven't asked for a photograph of a husband having it on with his secretary; we're talking about a murderer. I insist that I pay you more. Clearly, we need a private detective in this city."

"Preferably one without gambling issues," Grey interjected.

"Indeed," she said. "How will you survive by undercharging? I know...I'll make a deal with you. If you're willing to take the two thousand, and I insist on paying you more, then let us do this. I know you're without transportation, so, upfront, you can use the roadster until I ask for it back or you get another vehicle you prefer more, whichever comes first, and I pay for your party clothes because that only seems fair as they will need tailoring anyway--nothing off the rack will do for Max. Then, after the party, depending on just how satisfied I am with your work, I will pay you based on how the night goes and nothing less than the two thousand you requested."

With great reluctance, I said, "We really should have our business license before we do this."

"I'm on the board," she said, "trust me, that's a minor inconvenience. Come down at eight o'clock on Monday morning, fill out the paperwork, and I promise that you'll have one well before noon."

I couldn't help but smile at her. "Do you always get what you want?"

"Not always," she said, "but often."

I nodded. "Okay, I'll agree to your offer."

"Excellent. Grey, do you have a business card for Mr. Wilson?"

"In my room." He left to get it.

"I have an account for Grey at the tailor on Druesbury Lane in The Village--that's the shopping district if you didn't know. I'll call him the instant you leave. We set the party for next Saturday night, and these things take time, so go there today. Mr. Wilson will know what to make for you." She handed us the envelopes containing the engraved invitations that lay on the table, and she looked deeply into Maxes eyes as she gave him his. "I'm looking forward to it."

Max raised an eyebrow. "Might this be an opaque way of asking me out?"

"Oh, I wouldn't think of it," she said. "I prefer the man to ask."

Grey injected his opinion when he returned, "And that's why you're still single. You're so old fashioned, Auntie Winter." Grey gave me the business card.

"It's my gothic nature, darling," she said to him while staring at Max.

"You do realize that I'm gay, right?" he asked.

She shook her head. "I don't care, Max. You have the size and strength to make me feel safe, and you're so handsome that I want people to see me on your arm."

I had opened the unsealed envelope and read the invitation. "This says it's for a 'Hanging of the Chimney Hook.' That sounds sinister."

"That's just an old-world reference to what we would call a housewarming. You'll discover at the party that a chimney hook is a rather ordinary object." She dangled the keys to the roadster. "Who wants to drive?"

Max pointed at me, and I took the keys.

"At the beginning of next week," I said, "I think Max and I should study the house interior to familiarize ourselves with the layout."

"Understandable," said Winter, "just text me when you want to see it."

Just before we left, we thanked them for breakfast and the opportunity to get to know them. They did likewise of our acceptance of their invitation and the offer of the job.

So, Max and I had our first client, and for our first one, Winter was no small fish. If this case turned out well, we had the makings of a business, and then we could afford that enormous shower at the gym that Max wanted and a better apartment. I hated that our place left Max uncomfortable. I never saw his place in New York, but the outer building looked nice, so it had to beat the apartment in Franklin. I hadn't brought him with me, only for him to settle for less than what he left behind. I thought perhaps, the time had come for me to contact the bank in Switzerland.

Winter struck me as somewhat of a manipulator, but I hadn't sensed any maliciousness. At the time, I hadn't known if Max fully realized it, but I felt certain she bought the Mercedes just to ensure we had transportation, and she picked it because of him. She had the hots for my Golden Bear, which I admit made me proud to know that he was mine, and I laughed to myself at the thought. I would not have believed it possible for me to have the feelings I felt for Max. He and I were bonding, and he made me happy.

When we pulled out of the drive in the jalopy, Max had a funny look of surprise when he turned to me and made a comment, "I think Winter wants me to fuck her."

I laughed. "You think? She probably changed her panties the instant we left. You're an incredibly handsome man. Haven't you realized you make women all wet and ready for your golden rod?"

"Ugh...you know I won't go there."

"I know, Honey Bear, I'm just teasing you. So, off to the tailor?"

"Did you just call me Honey Bear?"

"Do you not like that? I won't if you don't."

"Are you kidding? That's adorable. I know we should see the tailor, but I want you right now."

I activated my right turn signal. "And back to the apartment we go..."

Share this Story

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

The Club Kevin's first night working at the gay biker club.in Gay Male
Busting Broncos Pt. 01 Family dynamics change when big cocks are involved.in Gay Male
Male Sorting Sorting dorm's mail leads to biggest and best man on campus.in Gay Male
He's My Brother-in-Law Why did my brother-in-law show me his cock?in Gay Male
Jeff's Dirty Arcade Adventures 18yo Jeff visits an adult arcade tempting fate each time.in Gay Male
More Stories