Mimi's Daddy Ch. 08: The Proposal

Story Info
Mimi and Adam flirt over coffee and cake.
2.4k words
4.82
1.3k
2
Story does not have any tags

Part 8 of the 19 part series

Updated 04/29/2024
Created 04/02/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

On the way to June's coffee shop, he passed the rescue. Outside in a crisp red dress, Mimi balanced on a ladder, attempting to change the letters on the billboard in front of their building. Even though no one was holding the ladder for her, he forced himself to keep driving. Not my problem. She should have someone spotting her, but that someone is not me. Glancing in his mirror, he saw her knee bend and one foot came off the step as she reached up. Grumbling, he swung into the mechanic's parking lot and turned around.

..

"So, is this how you plan to end it?"

As she startled, the ladder rocked. Her eyes went wide when she saw him below her. "No."

Adam stepped forward and steadied her ladder on instinct. When he looked up, all he saw was crinoline and the cutest round bottom he had ever seen in his life encased in white panties. Cherries were printed all over them. Jesus Christ, he was only human. Was the universe trying to kill him?

From above, she said, "Thank you, Adam. I'm almost done. Did you stop by to get the photo of the big check?"

He hadn't even thought of it today. "I forgot to put it in the truck. It's still at work. Marge insisted I leave the office for lunch."

Starting down the stairs, taking tidy steps, her bright red cherry earrings brushed against her neck. "It's almost two and you haven't eaten?"

"Not today," he said, smiling down at her. Mimi did not know she'd shown him her underwear. "I was going to June's for a sandwich, coffee and cake. Wanna go?" Unlocking the ladder, he eased a section down.

After placing the box of letters on the ground, Mimi wiped her hands. "Their cupcakes were outstanding. I bet my people would like a coffee time treat. Care to give me a ride?"

To keep from tucking a stray lock of her red hair behind her ear, Adam gripped his hand into a fist.

She picked up the box. "Let me put these inside. We could swing by your office after the coffee shop and take the picture of the big check in front of your business for the next post." He hefted the ladder. Mimi turned at the door. "Unless you mind."

"I don't mind. It'd be nice for promotion reasons, and I'm enjoying your company." Tension eased at the base of his head, and his skull stopped throbbing.

...

When he swung the cafe door open for her, she ducked under his arm instead of waiting for him to move out of the way.

"Oh, I wanted to tell you... well, to say thank you." Her hands waved about, her nails bright red. "For the kiss experiment. I misjudged kissing."

Grin spreading across his face, he said, "I like to be helpful."

Toying with an earing, she turned shyly away from him. He followed her through the busy cafe until they stopped at an empty table close to the window and she dropped into her chair before he could draw it out for her.

Sitting down, he offered, "If you want to practice more, I can make time."

She reached over and playfully pushed his arm as if she thought he was kidding. There was no artifice in her. Her heart beat visibly on her sleeve. "Do you ever lie?"

Menu in hand, she looked up. "Do I?"

"Well?"

"Sometimes. Doesn't everyone? I don't tell my brothers that they can't sing."

"Are their voices bad?"

"Mating cats are more on pitch."

"I'll remember that if I'm ever invited to a family sing a long." He flipped open his menu and pondered the sandwiches. "The club sandwich is pretty good."

"I brought left over roast for lunch." She set her menu down primly on the table. "I am here for their famous cake."

"Good choice. I would recommend the carrot cake."

All smiles, a teenage server sidled up to their table. Adam reached out and took Mimi's hand. "Tell me anything, everything. I need a distraction today."

The server giggled, and Adam noticed the phone in her hand. The young woman said, "I hope you don't mind." She looked down at the picture she had just taken and smiled. "Aren't you two the hero hotty and cutie cupcake couple?"

Cheeks pinked, Mimi drew back her hand.

"We can link to you." The teen focused on her phone, thumbs flying. "The owner will be pumped about this photograph. Can I post that you like our food?"

"Is that okay with you, Mimi?"

Brows lifted, Mimi asked the server, "Does that mean we can get some free cake?"

"Sure, you guys are famous." With a giant grin on her face, the girl headed to get their coffee.

He offered his hand to Mimi again, leaving it open on the table. "Tell me about your day, so I can forget mine."

After a brief hesitation, she put her hand in his. "I guess Jen's Social Media Campaign is working."

"Definitely, two of my best guys asked to meet me later today." He gave her fingers a gentle squeeze. "They want more responsibility and to have their own independent work crews. Which means hiring more people, and letting go of some control."

"Is that hard for you?"

"When I do something, I know it's done right."

"Have these men ever let you down?"

"No, they've both been with me from the beginning."

"Then why not try?"

"I may have no options but to trust them. My Mom has put herself in a terrible mess."

"Is she sick?"

"No sweet summer child," he toyed with the silver heart ring on her pinky finger. "She is a gambling addict, and secretly started making bets again sometime this last year. She is about to lose her house. My little sister is frantic."

"Adam, that is awful. What are you going to do?"

"Well, tonight my sister and I are going to do an intervention."

"I'm so sorry." When his sandwich arrived, he reluctantly released her hand. Watching him over the rim, Mimi cradled her coffee cup with both hands like a little kid.

"I thought our plan was for you to tell me about your life, so I could forget the train wreck that is my family."

"What do you want to know?"

"What do you dream of, Cutie Cupcake?"

Eyes sparkling, she said, "I have plans, not just dreams. When we expand the rescue and add a retirement home for farm animals, we will serve the community better. Every week, we get calls about abandoned farm animals, but we have no room." Bubbling with excitement, she added, "I even found the perfect property. The price is excellent, so I'm saving for the down payment. Each month, I tuck away my pennies. After five years, it's adding up. The Millers built the place, and the barn is in great shape, but their kids don't want the property. They like the city."

Her cake came, and his second coffee. Neither slowed her down. When she talked about her dreams, her excitement radiated outward and he caught a contact high. Adam found himself smiling.

"I know where my kitchen garden will go. There is a half shade, half sun spot close to the house."

As he relaxed his shoulders, he imagined her standing in a garden, life abundant all around her. Nodding, he took a bite of his toasted sandwich.

"Even though the farm house is small, it's plenty for me. It would feel so nice to get out from under my parents' protective glare. I'm twenty-five, but they forget that all the time."

With her first bite of cake on her fork, she gestured with it as she talked. "The barn is gorgeous. They don't make them like that anymore. And I read this article about field rotation." When she popped the first bite into her mouth, she groaned.

The sound made his dick flex. "Is it good?"

"Oh heavens." Touching her fingers to her lips, she said, "Are you sure this is legal? Are their unicorn tears in the batter?"

"I could ask them," Adam said. When Mimi reached out and put her hand on his, he gently captured her fingers in his grip.

"I'm sorry about your mom."

"Me too. She almost lost the house when I was a kid. Even though she doesn't remember the first time this happened, my little sister is really scared."

"How did she keep the house?"

"She went into recovery and I got a job to pay the mortgage. Sarah stayed with our grandma for almost a year."

"How old were you when this happened?"

"Old enough to work hard."

"How old, Adam?"

"Sixteen."

"You were a baby."

He sat up straight. "I was a man."

Drawing his big hand to her lips, she placed a soft kiss against his knuckles. The tender gesture sent tingles across his skin. She released his fingers and looked surprised at what she had just done. As he returned his hand to his side of the table, she adjusted her napkin awkwardly. Without looking at him, she asked, "What about your dad?"

"He was no help, but I tried. A year into his third marriage, he barely remembered my mom when I asked him for help. He offered me a deal he knew I wouldn't take. My life was going to be under his control or nothing."

"You were a strong kid."

He'd never thought of it quite that way. "I did what I had to do."

"At sixteen, I think I would have collapsed under that kind of stress."

As tightness filled his throat, he looked down at his half-eaten sandwich, appetite abandoning him. How could he be here again?

"Can I help?"

"What could you do?"

"I don't know. Could we do a fund raiser? How far behind is she?"

"At least 78K, but probably more."

"Oh my gosh."

"The stupid thing is, if my grandfather's will was simpler, or if my dad wasn't such an ass, things would be fine."

"How would that help?"

"I have a trust fund that I can only access with either my dad's permission or a wedding ring on my finger."

Furrowing her brow, Mimi took another bite of cake. "So get married."

"If you understood my parents' history with relationships, you wouldn't suggest that. If my blood runs true, I would make an ungodly mess of a marriage. Besides, who would be crazy enough to marry me just to help my mom?"

Pointing her fork at him, she said, "Would there be enough to buy a reasonably priced farm?" Head tilted, she tapped her fork tines on the plate. "I could pay you back when I get a loan."

He barked out a laugh. "Is this a proposal, crazy girl?"

"Maybe. Have you talked to your dad yet? Maybe he will feel differently now."

"I'm going to talk to my mom first, so I know the depth of the hole she is in."

Mimi nodded.

"Would you consider marrying me as a business deal? I mean, I would have thought you too old-fashioned for that."

"I'm progressive." She arched one brow. "Plus, think about what it would do to our social media situation. Win. Win. Maybe."

Crossing his arms, he leaned back in his chair. "So, just a business agreement. Prenup. Everything about the exchange would have to be detailed on paper."

"It's an option. I could expand the rescue without waiting two more years. And you could pull your mother's butt out of the fire."

"Why would you do that?"

"I'm not saying for sure I would, but it is a solution, isn't it?"

Hungry again, he picked up the other half of his sandwich. "It is."

...

"Get closer!" Marge waved her hand, focused on her phone screen. Mimi and Adam scooted closer to each other, arms almost touching as they stood behind the printed oversize check. "That's it, closer. Adam put your arm around her. You aren't twelve and getting photos taken at your first dance."

"Just take the damn picture, Marge. Mimi has cupcakes to get to her crew." When he looped his arm around her, she settled against his side, warm, soft and distracting.

With a snort, Marge took a few shots. Lined up in front of the wall, their company logo would be clear on the post. The light coming in the bank of windows bathed their faces and the check in natural light. Marge handed his phone back to him, and Mimi leaned close as he flipped through the images. "One of these will do." Mimi nodded.

Adam brought the big check back into the office and Mimi reached for her purse. "Jen can tweak one of them. I'm sure. Can you forward them to her?"

"I can." He touched Mimi's arm to move her toward the door. "Let's get you back to your crew."

Marge stepped into Adam's path. "Before you leave, I need to know if the guys have knocked some sense into you?" She patted a stack of papers on her desk. "They are referring plumbers they want to work with. I'm getting quite the stack of resumes."

"Tomorrow, I'm taking my mom to rehab. Right now, I can't focus on that.

Crossing her arms stubbornly, Marge said, "Let Jeff do it. He used to be a hiring manager before he came here to join us."

Adam stared at her.

"Well, its give up a little control so we can scale up to meet the recent interest in our services, or keep a steel grip on the status quo and miss a genuine opportunity to grow."

"Marge."

"You know I am right. Take care of your mom, but give Jeff a chance at this."

"I like to do things myself."

"Well, there is only one of you. So unless science amazes us all with a magic way to clone ourselves this afternoon. We need to do something. Choices must be made if this business is going to scale up and meet the current surge of interest."

"Jesus, alright. Let Jeff call the good ones. He can arrange the interviews for next week.

"Thank you."

Mimi touched his arm as he opened the front door for her.

"It could be good for your business."

"It might be, but in the end, it's my name on the trucks. The quality of our results falls to me."