Mindgames Ch. 25

Story Info
In which Mariah begs Master Animal to whip her.
4.9k words
4.6
2.6k
0

Part 26 of the 31 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 07/06/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 25: Lost and found

The western mansion

Gabriel was on his hands and knees in front of the sofa. Mistress Pomona was using his back as a table. A crash came from behind him, and the sound of breaking glass, and a stifled gasp. Mistress Pomona stood up and surveyed the damage. "Clean it up," she ordered Kevra.

Gabriel couldn't see Kevra but he could hear her sweeping up the broken glass and placing the shards in the rubbish can. Then she came before her mistress and prostrated herself, shaking.

Mistress Pomona cocked her head. "I'm tired to death of punishing you for your clumsiness," she said. "I should just send you to the exchange and be done with it."

Kevra sobbed.

Mistress Pomona took her plate off Gabriel's back and put it on the floor. Placing a finger under his chin she raised him to his knees. She unlatched the whip from her belt and put it in Gabriel's hand. "You do it," she said. "And do a good job, or you'll be next."

Gabriel blinked dumbly as the whip dangled from his hand. Mistress Pomona slapped his face, hard. "Now," she said.

He stood and turned to Kevra. Her flesh was already mottled from a beating earlier that day. Gabriel lifted the whip and feebly brought it down. He missed. "That's three whipstrokes for you," Mistress Pomona said. Gabriel tried again, this time connecting the whip to Kevra's backside.

"Not hard enough," Mistress Pomona said. "Three more strokes for you." Gabriel brought the whip crashing down on Kevra's back. She shrieked before she could stop herself.

"Good boy," Mistress said. "Do it ten more times."

The central mansion

Mariah trailed after Rose to the exercise yard and then to the revel room. They both automatically looked for Master Animal on the scaffolding in front of the family scene he had been working on for the last several days, but he stood at an easel far to the right of that panel. He was sketching a tableau. Mariah recognized the Bearer, standing in front of an ornate chair on a raised dais. He looked past Master Animal and Rose, both roughly drawn, to Master Gabriel, the focus of the sketch, thinner than he was now, wearing exhaustion on his sleeve, and yet a font of strength and dignity.

Master Animal rapidly added details as Mariah and Rose watched. He stopped only when a group of apprentices came in, laughing boisterously. As they approached, he looked at Mariah, squinting. "Did he ever say anything more specific than that he'd be back in a few days?"

Mariah shook her head. She had not realized until that moment that her feelings were not just loneliness but concern. She had been expecting Master Gabriel to have returned by now. She said, with studied indifference, "He could be another week, or more. He has no need to hurry home." She cleared her throat and turned away.

About an hour later Rose said she thought she might have left the courtyard door open, and it looked like rain. Master Animal peered at the cloudless sky and told her to go check. She shook her head when she returned. About half an hour later Master Animal declared that he needed to get a particular paintbrush from his studio. He too shook his head when he came back. An hour after that Mariah simply slipped out. Master Gabriel's apartment was clearly empty, but she peered into his bedroom to make sure. Her shake of her head was accompanied by a scowl.

Rose's excuse turned out to be true. In the evening black clouds rolled in and lightning followed quickly after low, rumbling thunder. Master Animal said aloud what Mariah was thinking: "He won't travel in this weather. Even if he's on his way home, he'll find shelter."

Together they checked Gabriel's apartment one last time to make sure that he had not already come home. It was as silent and empty as before.

Mariah stood in the middle of the living area and turned around slowly, not sure what to do with herself. She didn't think she could bear another evening alone with Rose and Master Animal. She saw them exchange a look. "Let's go to the drama the apprentices were talking about," Master Animal said with a cheerfulness so forced that Mariah actually smiled a little.

Inside the theater they went to a side aisle where humans and slaves could watch together without the requirement that the slave sit on the human's lap or kneel on the ground. Unlike the plush chairs in the center, the seats were hard metal benches.

The play was a romance set in the early days of slavery. Its main plot concerned an ugly man who helped his handsome friend woo the woman they both loved by giving him words to say. In the end, when the deception was revealed, the woman could not choose between them and so joined with them both.

The slaves of the three main players filled out the cast. The actors were humans wearing full length bodysuits that matched their skin tones, with huge plush breasts and gigantic genitals sewn on. Because the characters were of the first generation born into slavery, they struggled to accept their lot in life. They imitated their owners to prove they could manage as well as humans, with hilarious results. They tried to have an intelligent conversation with each other but ended up rutting the furniture. When their humans were out for the evening, they hosted a "party" for each other, but were unable to make basic decisions such as whether to serve water with ice or without. Their own happy ending came when they realized that they were better off as slaves and should be grateful for their lack of responsibility.

Mariah enjoyed the romance of the main plot well enough. She squirmed at the antics of the slaves but couldn't help laughing; the players were raucously funny. After a while, though, she was distracted by a houseboy in the seat next to hers. The boy sat with his heels together and his knees spread, the left one at times touching Mariah's leg. His mistress intermittently fondled him. If he moved or made a sound she whispered something in his ear, no doubt how she would punish him later.

As the lights came up after the show the boy's mistress swatted his ass to indicate that he should rise. He happened to glance at Mariah as he stood. Mariah had expected to see despair, or fear, but she saw only pleasure. The boy subtly shifted so that his shoulder touched his mistress's side. She patted his arm affectionately.

Where once Mariah would have felt scorn for the houseboy, and hatred for his mistress, now she silently wished them well. She hoped that they took genuine pleasure in each other's company and found some respite together.

Master Animal snapped his sketchbook closed and shoved his pencil into his pocket. As he stepped into the aisle a man called his name. Master Townsend. Mariah noticed that his eyes were not bloodshot, and he didn't sway on his feet.

"That was ridiculous," he said to Master Animal. "The timing was all wrong. Slaves wore clothes for a century, at least, after the Turmoil. And they never would have been allowed to . . ." He stopped abruptly when he saw Mariah and stared at her. "Mariah, right?" She nodded. "Animal pointed you out to me before," he said. "I still can't place you. But you do look a little familiar."

Mariah stood stiffly, not sure what her former owner expected of her but certain that Master Animal would prevent him from harming her.

"Animal says I'm a bad master." He did not seem to expect any response from her. But when Mariah glanced at him, he seemed uncertain. "If I did you any harm, I apologize."

Mariah had hated him, once. But now she felt nothing for him, except maybe pity. "You taught me history, Master," she said. "And for that I thank you."

"Animal says I'm supposed to talk less and listen more to slavegirls," he said. "And to take care of them. Showers, and exercise, and sex, and everything." Mariah shuddered, remembering what it had been like when he had not allowed her any of those. Master Townsend sighed. "It seems wrong. But I promised him I'd try. I'm between girls right now. Enjoying my privacy. Thought I might get two, so they can be friends to each other. But they might not get along." He scratched his head. "It might be nice to have some company. I thought about getting a cat, but then I'd have to find a girl who knew how to take care of it. Or two girls . . ." He trailed off.

Mariah suppressed an urge to roll her eyes. She had forgotten how Master Townsend had always been either talking or asleep. But at least he seemed aware of his surroundings now.

Master Animal stepped between them. He spoke to Master Townsend while giving Mariah the space to turn away and head towards the exit with Rose. She thought she saw Master Gabriel in the crowd up ahead. Her heart leapt. But the man turned, and she saw it wasn't him. Where was he?

The western mansion

Gabriel touched Kevra's shoulder. She muttered something and rolled over. He tried again. "Please," he said. "Please. Please."

Kevra sat up and rubbed her eyes. "What is it, Sniffly?" she asked crossly. She looked to make sure his wrist was shackled.

Gabriel handed her a folded piece of paper. "Can you get this to a runner?"

Kevra yawned. "What is it?" She took it from him and turned it over. There were marks on it.

"It's a letter to my friend. Please," Gabriel pleaded.

Kevra dropped it. "Who wrote this?" she asked.

"I did," Gabriel said. "I snuck the paper and pen in here earlier today, when Mistress Pomona was playing cards."

"Oh, Sniffly," Kevra said. "Your random marks don't mean anything. You have to actually know how to write."

"I do!" Gabriel yelled, then looked fearfully towards the door. He picked up the letter. "Please, Kevra, give it to a runner for me. Tell her to bring it to Master Animal in the Publican wing of the central mansion." When Kevra crossed her arms he said, "You don't have to believe me. The messenger will know what to do."

Kevra shook her head, but she took the letter. "I'll try," she said. "But you know how they watch me. It might be a few days before I can."

"Please." Gabriel knew Kevra was only humoring him. "Please."

Kevra hid the paper under her sleeping platform. "I will try," she promised him.

Tears of gratitude pricked Gabriel's eyes. "Thank you," he whispered.

The central mansion

Master Animal was sitting at his table, absently rolling small bits of clay between his thumb and forefinger. Rose had a sketchpad in her hands but was staring listlessly out the window. Mariah had given up all pretense of doing her stretches and had sat unmoving for several minutes.

With an exasperated sigh Rose lay her sketchbook down. She went to the kitchen and came back with a large rag. She lay it flat on the table and started to move Master Animal's clay onto it. Animal pushed her arm away with a growl. Rose said, "I just polished this table, Master."

"I never asked you to," Master Animal said, and he slapped his palm down on the tabletop, leaving a handprint.

Rose's gave a little cry, as if he had slapped her instead of the table. Master Animal glared at her, and then looked down. "I'm sorry," he muttered. He moved his clay onto the rags. Rose sat down and picked up her sketch pad, not looking at him.

Mariah took a deep breath. "I miss Master Gabriel," she announced.

Rose said, "He said he would only be gone for a few days."

At the same time Master Animal said, "He should be back by now."

"He should have sent a message," Mariah said.

"We can send a note to him," Master Animal said. "Where did he go?"

Mariah shook her head. "Somewhere in the western fields. Master Izak was going to take him. Maybe someone in his household knows exactly where?"

Master Animal nodded. He tore a piece of paper from Rose's sketchpad and scrawled a note on it, then rang for a runner. Mariah didn't know where Master Izak lived, so they had to trust to the runner to find out. It was late enough that the nightwatchers would soon go on duty. Master Animal could not say this was an emergency warranting a night pass, so it would be the next day before the note could be delivered. He sighed and went back to rolling his balls of clay.

The western mansion

The day went by in a blur. Gabriel was kneeling with grains of rice under his knees. For good behavior he was allowed to use a spoon to eat his gruel. His master was beating his back with a belt. Gabriel was telling his mistress he loved her, the only words he was allowed to say. His mistress was telling his master that someone seemed feverish. He was allowed to rest, at last.

The central mansion

Mariah was in the kitchen, basting a chicken with salted orange juice, when she heard a knock at Master Animal's door. When Rose answered it, a man asked for Master Animal. His voice was familiar but Mariah couldn't place it. Rose murmured something and then Animal identified himself.

"I'm Izak," the man said. "I just got your note." Mariah put the chicken in the icebox and came out of the kitchen. She recognized the auburn-haired vet who had come to Master Gabriel's autopsy sessions. "Gabriel never showed up and I went on ahead. I figured he was blowing me off or that he would catch up with me. But he never came. I've been home for two days. Is he all right?"

He noticed Mariah. "You're here without him?" he asked in surprise. "I thought he kept you glued to his side." He shook his head and said to Master Animal, "Unnatural, but he is an outlander. Doesn't look down on vets either. I appreciate that."

Master Animal was staring at him in consternation. "Why didn't you come to me sooner?"

Master Izak shrugged. "I didn't know he'd gotten himself lost," he said. "I thought he'd just changed his mind." He saw Master Animal's expression and took a step back. "I'm sure he's fine. Man walked, what, 5,000 miles to get here? He can take care of himself."

"463," Mariah said.

"What?" Master Izak frowned at her.

Mariah said clearly, "He traveled 463 miles to get here. But he had his horse. And supplies. And he had said goodbye to his friends and family. And he had a reason to come here."

Master Izak shook his head and said to Master Animal, "Pity he ruined that girl." When Master Animal did not respond he cleared his throat. "When he comes home, tell him to find me. Tell him it's incredible what they're doing in those fields. They stop pain by sticking needles in their skin. Most amazing thing I've ever seen." When Master Animal merely gave him a half-glazed look, Izak backed up. "I'll take my leave then. Make sure to tell him to come round." He left, closing the door behind him with an offended slam.

Mariah, Master Animal and Rose each seemed frozen in place. Then Rose made a small sound, between a whimper and a cry. "I'm sure he's fine," Animal said, repeating Izak's words.

"No," Mariah said. She swallowed down the bile that was rising to her throat. "He's not fine." She turned to Master Animal. "You need to go to the Bearer."

Master Animal frowned. "And tell him what, exactly?"

Mariah forced herself to meet his eye. "You need to tell him that we had a fight."

"That's hardly news," Master Animal said, clearly exasperated. "You barely open your mouth without having a fight."

Mariah said, "I told you he said awful things to me the morning he left." Master Animal nodded. "But I said awful things to him too."

Master Animal stared at her. Very slowly he asked, "What did you say to him?"

Mariah took a deep breath. "I told him he could never understand the choices that Jordyn makes, that I make, because he has never been a slave and never will be one."

Master Animal looked at her uncomprehendingly. But Rose said, softly, "Oh." She stared at Mariah. "He wouldn't," she said, but there was no certainty in her voice. "He couldn't."

"What?" Master Animal demanded. "He couldn't what?"

Mariah said, "He could."

"He could what?" Master Animal yelled.

Mariah took a deep breath. "He could pretend to be a slave."

Master Animal looked from her to Rose. He sat down in a dining room chair. "No," he said. "The punishment he would receive, and whoever plays along with him . . ."

"Unless they're not playing," Mariah said. "Unless he fooled them."

"That's not possible," Master Animal said. "Nobody could mistake a human for a slave. How could they?"

"I don't know," Mariah said. She closed her eyes.

"Master, please, go to the Bearer," Rose begged. "Go now."

"I can't," Master Animal said. "The penalty . . ."

"The Bearer won't punish Master Gabriel," Mariah said. "He'll protect him. But no one else can know."

Master Animal nodded. "You'll come with me," he said. He pushed his fingers through his hair. "Rose, you'll stay here, in case word comes." He strode to the door, but just as he put his hand on the knob someone knocked on the other side. Master Animal pulled the door open. A messenger verified who he was, handed him a note and sped off down the hallway.

Master Animal scanned it, and his brow furrowed. "Dear Animal," he read out loud, "We found some property of yours. Come by and pick it up at your convenience. Western Mansion, Riverwood Wing, Room 2412. Pomona and Landon." He shrugged and started to crumple the note. "No idea," he said.

"Wait, Master," Mariah said. "There's more writing on the back."

Animal turned the paper over. "P.S," he read, "I think you'll find him much improved—or at least much bruised."

"Shit!" he whispered. His face was ashen.

"We need to go now," Mariah said. When neither Animal nor Rose moved she raised her voice. "Now!"

The western mansion

Kevra pressed a cloth soaked in apple cider vinegar to Sniffly's forehead. He took it off. "Don't fight a fever," he muttered. He pushed himself to his elbows and then to a sitting position, and reached for the jug of water. His manacle clinked. He took a few swallows, then lay down and went back to sleep.

Kevra put the blanket over him and smoothed his hair. She hated to see him so sick, but it was a reprieve for the poor boy. Her mistress had looked at him with worried, almost kind eyes, and let him rest. What would she do to him when he recovered?

Cautiously Kevra felt under the edge of her mattress for the paper Sniffly had given her. Secrets were dangerous. She should flush it while Sniffly slept. But she had promised him she would try to get it to a messenger. She shook her head at the craziness of that.

Her reverie was broken by someone pounding on the door to the apartment. She hurried to answer it. A strange master, haggard-looking and flushed from exertion, stood with two housegirls she did not recognize.

"Where is he?" the master demanded, shoving his way past Kevra into the living room.

Mistress Pomona and Master Landon had stood up from the table. "Painter!" Master Landon boomed. "Come at last for your lost property, and to give us some peace?" Kevra knew then that the man was Sniffly's master.

"Where is he?" He looked around as if expecting Sniffly to pop up from behind a sofa.

"He's quite safe," Mistress Pomona said. "Only a little worse for the wear." She looked at him guiltily. "A bit sick, actually. Not sure how it happened. That's when we sent the note; of course you'll want your own vet to look in on him. Or maybe your outland healer friend we've heard about." She laughed.

"Where is he?" the master roared.

"Now, now, Animal," Master Landon said. "Let's not forget you are a guest here." Master Animal glared at him, but Master Landon had turned his attention to the two housegirls. He tsked and shook his head. "Almost unmarked, both of them. I can't abide pansies, can you, my dear?" he said to Mistress Pomona.

12