Mistress Agnes Ch. 20

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

'Is he a rich man himself?' Maria asked, curious how these things worked. It was Guy who replied.

'He isn't. His mother had a small fortune, but not as large as Mrs Beauchamp had. And she married an officer from the army, a love-match her parents disapproved of, but allowed anyway, I guess because their daughter was so much in love. And rightfully so, for Captain and Mrs Avery were as happy a couple as ever lived, the captain made quite a nice fortune in the war, though not enough to provide their children with an independence. The current Henry Avery followed in his father's footsteps and is also a captain in the army, who has distinguished himself in the war against the French.

But enough family-history for now, we were talking of a business. Do you think there is money in childrens' clothing, Patrick?'

'I certainly do. People are getting richer all over the country, and they all love their children and want them to be dressed well. Maybe not in the same small area your father services, Maria, but if you include one decently sized town in your efforts I think you will be set. And if your clothes are popular, who knows, you may even be able to sell the patterns to other seamstresses.

How many garments can you make in a week?'

They proceeded to discuss Maria's ideas, and with her estimation of the cost of fabric for the samples, and several other investments she would have to make, Guy made a calculation of what she needed to earn to make a living.

'Can't you work from here?' he asked.

'At first I can, if Mrs Beauchamp doesn't object. Our table is perfect for sewing, and she let us have so many rooms, we don't really need so much space until our baby is born.'

Oh, they hadn't told anyone about that yet, not even her parents, not that it mattered much, they were planning to tell soon, anyway. But the men suspected nothing.

'I'm sure the mistress will let you have another room if you are still living here when you have a baby,' Patrick said soothingly.

'There are all these rooms standing empty in the servant's quarters, you know your Dick does the work of at least a maid and a scullery boy, and quite possibly another half a maid. He is a relentless worker. And we both have double duties, I am lady's maid and valet in one, and discharge some housekeeper's responsibilities. And Guy is steward and butler and the rest of the housekeeper. The mistress wanted it thus to save on the wagging tongues, but it also saves a lot of space. She does some of a steward's duties herself, besides writing fiction.'

They spent some more time discussing the possibilities, and when they were done Maria not only had a much clearer picture of what she would be getting herself into, she also had an idea of where to start. And she was no longer afraid of Guy, Dick and Dennis had been right, he was sweet, and incredibly smart as well. To think he had never gone to school, Maria could hardly believe it, some people apparently could not be stopped.

That night in bed she asked Dick, 'What would you say if I gave my father a month's notice, then in that month developed my own collection of childrens' clothing and made a sample of each to fit one of my nieces or nephews?'

'So you finally talked to Guy about starting your own business? I suppose he thought it was a good idea?'

'Patrick, too. And if my childrens' clothing does not sell, Dick, I can always make conventional dresses, I am an excellent seamstress, I can't do my father's hemming any longer, I want my work to be challenging.'

Dick did not look anxious at her suggestion to take such a step, he seemed proud more than anything.

'As long as we live here I can keep both of us, dear Maria. I felt very bad that no-one wanted me on the other side of the valley, forcing you to live in a servant's quarters. Now I can make it up to you, if you have to live here because of me, you can at least do the work you want.

I'm sure children will love your clothes!'

Poor Dick! He hadn't told her he felt so bad, frankly Maria suspected he was a bit relieved to stay with his friends. He was so cute, how could people not see that? How could they believe those rumours, even after meeting him in person? Was it merely his size? In that case, they'd have to start walking Pixie across the river, seeing the huge man with his tiny dog just had to melt their hearts, how could it not?

'I kind of like living here, Dick, please don't feel bad over that. It's quite convenient to not have to cook or clean, or get groceries, it will give me time to work on my collection. But once I'm no longer working with my father, I want to do a share of the chores, I feel lazy letting you do all the work in the evening.'

'Won't you feel like a servant then, Maria? You've always been a free spirit, I don't want to take that from you.'

That was so thoughtful of Dick, and true, for working for one's father was somehow different than working for a boss.

'If we had a home of our own I'd have to cook and clean and wash up anyway, Dick. I can do a few household chores every week, if only to keep me from forgetting how to do them. What if we do find a little cottage, and I'm too spoiled to do the work?'

'I can teach you again, dear Maria. Except cooking, I've never learned how to do that.'

Maria just had to hug and cuddle her large husband, he was so uncomplicated and honest, and just incredibly loveable. And his approval of her plan need not be doubted, so tomorrow she would give her father her month's notice and start working on their future.

It didn't take long for Agnes to notice Maria's absence in their nightly gatherings in front of the house. The weather was still balmy and they all preferred to sit outside, Dick no longer protesting Dennis' serving the after-dinner coffee and tea.

Dennis had told Agnes all about his time with Maria and Dick, and Agnes couldn't help feeling a thrill at the memory of making love to the two men at once. Riding Dick that day had been one of the craziest things she'd ever done, but such great fun! And imagine Maria already being with child, they had been married for less than a month, though of course they had followed the local tradition of 'practising' at the outcrop during their engagement.

After three days, she asked Dennis what was going on.

'Why is Maria staying indoors, Dennis?' she asked her beloved, almost certain he'd know the answer.

'She's not sick, is she? Did she and Dick quarrel?'

Her voice must have reflected she did not really believe the last, Dick was not the kind to quarrel with anyone, and certainly not his beloved wife. He worshipped the ground she walked on, even more so since Maria had told him she was already expecting a baby. Secretly, Agnes was thrilled to have someone to share her situation with, somehow she felt much less vulnerable and less conspicuous with another pregnant woman about. But not if she was nowhere in sight, Agnes had hoped to congratulate Maria and have a little chat, she worried a little that the lively, free-minded woman objected to the obvious difference in class within Agnes' household.

'Didn't I tell you?' Dennis asked, 'it must have slipped my mind, sorry. Maria has given her notice at her father's business and is planning to start her own. She's very busy developing a new line of childrens' clothing, and making samples. There will be packages of fabric arriving from all over the country any day now. She's very ambitious, Dick says. He's very proud because his earnings are making it possible for her to give up a steady job and take the risk of doing what she really wants.'

'Didn't her father allow her to do the thing she loves?'

'Strange, isn't it? She really likes her dad, but he only let her do the hemming and other boring, lowly jobs. He insisted on doing the patterning and the fitting himself, though she is very good at both. I think he didn't take it well, she's not too happy going back there in the mornings, but she has told Dick she'll survive a month of reproachful silence. He told me when we were washing up, it's such fun to work with Dick, though I still have to talk fast to have him allow me to help.'

At least Dennis was back to normal. The situation with Dick had made him aware of his own attitude, and he was still involving himself in everything that was going on at the manor, but going about it much more subtly.

'So they fell out over that? I'm sorry for Maria, she seems very competent and deserves to be appreciated for the work she does.'

'I suppose her mother will step in, but Maria kind of caught her off guard as well. She had never told her mother how unhappy she was with the way her father treated her professionally. Just her father.'

'Well, my love, to me the girl is a hero, to defy her father and just do what she feels she needs to do. I wrote my first book when I was still married, but I wouldn't have dared to even think of publishing it. I needed Guy and Patrick to convince me to do that.'

Dennis laughed and kissed her.

'I wouldn't compare your books to perfectly decent frocks and coats, Agnes, but I do agree you both did a brave thing.'

'If she needs more space to work in she can use any empty room she likes.'

'Why not offer that yourself, Agnes? I think you'd truly like Maria if you'd spend some time with her. Though I guess that's pretty hard when she's at work all day and evenings too. Do you think Dick minds?'

Agnes took a good hard look at Dick, who was chatting with Patrick, Charles and Guy, and he did seem a bit forlorn, stroking the sleeping puppy in his lap.

'I suppose he does, yes. You said it was just for a month? And then she'll work on her projects all day? I wonder if poor Dick can look ahead a whole month, maybe you'd better talk to him.'

But that turned out to be unnecessary, for Maria's mother did intervene on her daughter's behalf, forcing her husband to let her work on her own projects half the day.

'Mama said I had done my share to make his business a success, I deserved to work on my future for a change. Though she was put out with me, too, 'You should have told me about your unhappiness before, I would have helped before things got out of hand.'

I guess she was right, for now I don't want to stay with my father whatever he offers. What mama did will just make that last month less painful.'

Dick knew the feeling, he didn't want anything to do with his folks anymore, either.

'I suppose he'd only try to hold you back. Will you come home to work on your own projects, or will you stay there?'

'My mother asked me to stay, she wants to have me around as long as she still can. I guess I will stay, then, unless my father does bother me. He hasn't said a thing so far. I suppose he'll hire a replacement, and then I'll have to come here to free up the working-space. But at least I'll be with you most evenings.'

And when Maria sat with their little group in the evenings once more, the mistress immediately joined her, and asked how her projects were going. Dick was surprised to see his love rather hesitant towards the mistress, but once she had gotten over her first shyness she told the mistress about her first samples. They had been welcomed by her sister and the latter's six-year-old daughter and eight-year-old son.

'The children looked so pretty and sweet, and my sister is going to test the garments for sturdiness, and of course show them around in their village.'

'Have you thought of making drawings of your nephews and nieces in their new outfits, to promote your clothes in a larger town? Maybe put an advertisement in a newspaper, or visit other seamstresses?'

'Thank you, ma'am, yes, I wanted to, but I'm afraid I'm much better at designing clothes than at drawing. I couldn't do it.'

That had been a terrible disappointment to Maria, though she still tried to improve her skills by practising.

Now the mistress smiled broadly and observed, 'You have been living here for almost a month, Maria, and you've seen Charles daily, but I suppose you never visited his workshop?'

Oh my, Charles. How could Dick have forgotten they had an artist living under the same roof? Poor Maria, she could have gotten some help from him to improve her drawing skills!

Maria looked at the mistress without understanding.

'Charles does the garden, doesn't he? And he does some painting in his spare time?'

Had he never even told her Charles was an artist first of all?

'Dear Maria, Charles does the garden for a living. But he is a very talented painter, I'm very certain he could paint an exact image of your little nieces and nephews wearing your outfits, so potential customers can get an impression of what they can buy from you. Why not talk to him, you have some money to invest, haven't you? I'm sure he'll make them for you at a decent price.'

12