Montana Summer Ch. 16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Milt took off his Stetson hat and placed it on the seat beside him. He pointed towards the front of the restaurant and leaned towards Charlie. "You know most of them have their ears waggin' in our direction hopin' to pick up on a tidbit."

Charlie chuckled. "I imagine the rumors are flowing hot and heavy."

"Yeah." Milt agreed. "I'm glad you've decided on mining the gold. Too many people know about it by now, and with each day more and more people are going to hear about it."

"That's pretty much how we had it figured too." Charlie stopped talking as the waitress came over to take their order.

After she left, Charlie continued. "We had a council meeting the other night. We're going to start having someone keep an eye on the creek."

Milt nodded. "Good. I'm going to make sure my guys patrol out there at least once a day for the next little while."

"I don't think we'll have much of a problem once the snow really comes and the cold weather sets in." Charlie took a drink from the cup of coffee the waitress had left.

"I'm damned glad this whole thing is closed now, and even happier that Cliff didn't ask any questions about those damned arrows."

"Did he know about them?" Charlie asked. "I was sort of surprised myself."

Milt gave a sly grin. "Well, there was no mention of them in the report I sent over, and I don't think Angus mentioned them either."

"What about your deputies? Did they have any thoughts as to how they got there?"

Milt lowered his voice. "They think the arrows came from one of the burials, and one of the dead hoods used them to stop the others from leaving. I didn't say anything to discourage their theory."

Charlie smiled and took another drink of his coffee. "Hopefully those arrows will get lost somehow."

"What arrows?" Milt winked at Charlie.

Milt knew he was breaking the law when he had gone into the evidence vault and removed the box containing the arrows. His initial plan had been to burn them, but he had been unable to bring himself to destroy them. Instead, he had stashed the arrows in the large gun safe in his basement.

"You won't have to worry about finding them anymore. They're gone now."

Milt cocked his head and looked at Charlie. "What do you mean, gone?"

"Their job is done. I guess they were here to watch over the gold until the time was right. They've crossed over. Their spirits are at rest now."

"How do you know?" Milt was curious.

"I can't tell you, at least not right now. You might not want to know."

Milt stared at Charlie for a minute or two. "After I retire, you and I are going to have to go camping for a week or two in the mountains."

Charlie nodded. "Sounds like a good idea. I would enjoy spending some time camping and fishing with you."

---

Ryan left his books on the seat of his truck and headed straight to the house. The kitchen was warm and cheery. The aroma of supper cooking greeted him as he walked in the door.

"Smells good in here." Ryan sat down at the table. "Where's Uncle Bill?"

Suzanne turned from the stove. "Hello, Ryan. He had to go over and give Frank a hand with something."

Ryan picked up the newspaper sitting in front of his uncle's chair and laughed. "Hey, this paper is only a week old."

"That man and his newspaper. You don't dare throw them out until they are at least six months old, and then he's still going to complain there was an article in it he was meaning to read." Suzanne set a cup of coffee in front of Ryan and sat down at the table.

"Oh, your mom called." Suzanne suddenly remembered. "She wanted me to tell you they got home last night, but it was too late to call."

"Wow!" Ryan smiled. "Mom called here. That's a first."

"Yes, it certainly was. You know, Ryan, when you and Jessi started all this DNA stuff, I was worried. I thought you two were going somewhere you didn't need to go. I was wrong and I'm glad you did it. Your dad and your uncle are now like they were twenty years ago, and your mom too."

Ryan looked up at his aunt. "I know, I don't think I've ever seen Mom so happy or so relaxed."

"Ryan, I'm glad they are planning on building a small place here to come to. I hope you are as well."

"I am. I think it's a good thing. I don't think I've ever felt as close to my parents as I did this weekend."

Suzanne's face glowed with happiness. "I'm happy to hear that, Ryan."

"So am I." Ryan sat back in his chair and thought for a moment. "It seems like all is right with the world now."

Suzanne couldn't agree more. She had felt the same the way for the past few days. Even her apprehension over Ryan and Jessi's relationship had disappeared.

She looked at the stove and then at the clock. "I guess we'll go ahead and start eating without your uncle since there's no telling when he'll get home. I'll warm him up some supper when he gets here."

There was no argument from Ryan; he had been ready for supper since midway through the afternoon.

---

Norm Campbell stared at his cell phone. He took a deep breath and pressed the send key and waited for someone to answer the ringing phone.

"Hello." Norm was relieved it was his estranged wife who answered and not his mother-in-law.

"Debbie, it's me." Norm hoped she would at least hear him out.

"Yes?" Her tone was definitely frosty.

"I want to sell the house."

"Why are you calling me about this? I think it would be best if you have your attorney contact my attorney."

"Don't you want to at least know why I'm selling the house?" This conversation wasn't going the way Norm had hoped.

"Not really. You probably owe some gambling debts."

Norm closed his eyes at the bite of her words. "No, that's not it. I haven't placed a bet in a couple of months now." He wanted to add that the ordeal of the past week had cured him of gambling, but thought it best to keep his adventure quiet for the moment.

"Okay, so why are you selling the house?" There was the slightest hint of a thaw in her voice.

"I've got a job─in Montana, I'm moving as soon as I get everything in the house packed up and put on the market."

"How long is this job supposed to last?" Debbie was all too familiar with some of Norm's jobs that lasted only a matter of weeks.

"I'm going to be honest. I don't really know. I'm going to be running a very small gold mining operation. It could last for quite a while. It all depends on how deep the vein goes."

"Why are you telling me all this?"

Norm detected a little more warmth in his wife's voice. "I was hoping we could give it another try."

"I don't..."

"I know we can't just pick up where we were. I realize it's going to take time, and I'm willing to take that time," Norm interrupted.

"Alright, Norm, I'm at least willing to listen to what you have to say. I want you to know one thing. I'm never going to put our daughter in a situation like you had us back in Denver again. She deserves better than that, and damn it, Norm, so do I."

Norm closed his eyes against the burning of impending tears. "I know. All I can do is say I'm sorry and prove it with my actions." He looked at the small calendar on the desk of the hotel room. "What about if you and Kate came out here for Thanksgiving? That would give me time to get the house cleared out, up for sale, and find a place to live here?"

"Norm, let me think on it. I don't want to get Kate's hopes up only to have them dashed."

"That's all I can ask for. Can I talk to her?"

"She's in bed right now." Debbie's voice softened a bit more. "Why don't you call tomorrow afternoon, maybe I'll have an answer for you then as well."

"I will." Norm smiled. "One more thing, Debbie."

"Yes?"

"I love you." Norm held his breath.

"Norm, you know I love you, too. That's never been the issue."

After the call was over, Norm lay on the bed with his hands behind his head. It had gone better than he hoped. At least she was talking to him. There was a long way to go, but at least they were talking.

---

The early winter wind blew cold across the South Dakota prairie. An old man watched as the fire he had started hours ago slowly died down. Soon, it would be time. He studied the sky with knowing eyes and then trudged the few hundred yards back to his house. It was time to get ready.

Nathan Two-Horse had fasted for more than a day in preparation for his sweat. He removed the blue jeans and western shirt of the White Man and donned a pair of buckskin breeches and a homespun shirt.

He would seek a vision tonight. Nathan had been in contact with Charlie Red Elk and had asked him to come to Montana and preside over a Hunka ceremony. Nathan had agreed and was surprised the young man was a wašicun, a young white man.

He could find no written record of a white man being made Hunka, and none of the other elders could recall a white man taking part in the ceremony. Nevertheless, there was no reason to believe it couldn't be done. Nathan trusted Charlie's judgment. Tonight he would seek a vision─guidance from the spirits.

---

Bill McFayden paced along the length of the corral. He reminded Ryan of a nervous father-to-be in the waiting room of a maternity ward. Ryan couldn't believe his ears when Bill had told him of the impending arrival of a bull and some cow bison.

"I wanted it to be a surprise for you, and for Charlie, too." Bill's face beamed with joy. Bill had been planning this day for weeks. An ad in a magazine had led to a phone call, and the acquisition of the bison.

Ryan had immediately called Charlie and invited him and Walter to the ranch to witness the arrival of the buffalo.

Ryan turned to Charlie. "I don't think he's excited at all."

Charlie nodded. "I have to admit, I didn't get much sleep last night. I was up early and waiting for my ride to arrive."

"Yeah, I'll say he was up early. He called me at four a.m. to see if I was ready to go." Walter feigned a yawn and took a sip of his coffee.

"I wonder where he is." Bill looked at his watch for about the fortieth time in the last five minutes.

"Oh, probably still in bed," Ryan joked.

"Well, he said he'd be here by eight." Bill checked his watch again.

"What time is it? Eight-oh-four?" Ryan winked at Charlie.

"No, it's eight-oh-six." Bill rolled his eyes and shook his head. "Shows how much you know."

"Here he comes now." Walter pointed to a truck pulling a livestock trailer coming up the road.

Bill checked his watch again and grinned. "And it's about damned time, too!"

Ryan and Bill had spent the past week expanding the corral to make room for what Bucky was hauling in his truck.

"This is a great day," Charlie's normally stoic face showed the emotion that was in his words.

As Bucky pulled into the driveway, Bill waved and pointed to where he wanted the truck backed up. The gate to the corral was wide open and the four watched as Bucky backed the truck up to the exact spot.

"Mornin', Pilgrims!" Bucky chuckled as he climbed down from the cab of the truck.

"Pilgrims? Who the hell are you talking to? You're the one who's late!" Bill quipped as he shook Bucky's hand.

"Charlie, Walt." Bucky grinned as he shook their hands. "I expect you're about as excited as Bill and Ryan are."

Charlie nodded. "Yeah, I was just sayin' that this is a great day."

"Enough of this chin waggin'." Bill slapped Bucky on the back. "There'll be enough time for jawin' once we get this truck unloaded. I want to see what my sixteen thousand dollars got me." Bill looked at Ryan. "Well, what it got us."

"Let's get at it then. I haven't had my breakfast yet, so the sooner we get this truck unloaded, the sooner I can try to impose on your gorgeous wife and your hospitality for something to eat." Bucky pulled down the ramp to the hauler.

Bill picked up a hammer and banged on the side of the hauler. "Rise and shine."

Eight female bison followed by a bull made their way down the ramp and into the corral. They sniffed at the feed and began to eat almost immediately.

Ryan was filled with awe as he watched the shaggy beasts.

Charlie fought back his emotions. He was seeing something he had thought impossible— he was witnessing the return of the buffalo. He turned to Bill. "I can't find the words right now. Thank you doesn't seem to be enough."

---

Charlie's thipis was set up next to the community center for the ceremony. The smell of beef cooking on the large spit over an open fire covered the entire village. There was an air of excitement in the small settlement. First would come the ceremony. Then the celebratory supper and dance in the hall would immediately follow.

All was ready. With Charlie's blessing, a nugget from the illegally mined gold was now a part of each gift that Ryan would give to each person in the village. For the men, he had placed a new knife, ceremonial tobacco, and a new blanket in a bag. The women would receive a new set of cookware, a roll of ribbon, and a new blanket.

In preparation for the ceremony, Charlie led Ryan around the village. Three red stripes on Charlie's right cheek extended from his forehead to his chin. All of the older men gathered at the place of the ceremony wore the same red stripes on their faces. Some were naked from the waist up, their torsos painted in the same red color.

Nathan Two-Horse wore a bear robe. He had seen the spirit of the bear during his vision. The strength of the dream had left him almost breathless by the time it was over.

Ryan's hands were bound like a captive and he was placed inside the thipis. The shaman emerged from the lodge and announced. "Is there anyone here who wishes to save this young wašicun?"

Becky and Jessi were standing off to the side with Jessi's parents. She whispered to Jessi, "Aren't you going to save him?"

Jessi poked Becky in the ribs. "Shh! I'll 'save' him later."

Charlie stepped forward. "I will save Ihanbla Mato." He used the Lakota name he had bestowed upon Ryan, which translated to Dreamer of Bears.

Nathan Two-Horse nodded. "Very well, the ceremony will begin."

Ryan stood where the shaman told him to. The altar made of earth was in front of him, and the small meat rack was to his left. He recognized many of the objects from his dreams and from the explanations Charlie had given him over the past weeks.

Faded red stripes adorned a buffalo skull on the altar. Charlie had explained red was a strong color, and it was the color of the sun. The meat rack was painted blue, the color of the sky. The mysterious ear of corn chosen by Nathan in a secret ceremony sat beside the buffalo skull. It was striped with red and blue, and signified the food that came from the ground.

Tatanka, or the buffalo, was considered hunka as it shared its meat with the Lakota. The skull represented the food which came from the buffalo.

Only the Hunkayapi were allowed in the lodge. The musicians sat along the edge of the thipis and began to play their drums and sing. After everyone was seated, Nathan entered the thipis. The shaman's assistant took two long wands and began to apply blue paint to the shafts. Long tufts of horsehair sprouted from one end, and each was decorated with eagle feathers. After the wands had been painted, the assistant began to shake the horsehair wands over the spectators, one by one. Once he had finished up with Ryan, the assistant handed the wands to the shaman.

Ryan watched as Nathan filled a long ceremonial pipe with tobacco. The pipe was handed to Ryan, along with a burning stick from the fire. Ryan took a couple of puffs of the acrid tasting tobacco and passed the pipe to Charlie, who then passed it to the assistant.

Nathan was the last to smoke the pipe. He handed the pipe back to assistant. "The Grandfather, the Father, and the Sons are with us in this lodge. We have smoked in communion and the Mediator has gone up to the White God. I will now make the sacred smoke to drive away the evil spirits."

The assistant adjusted the buffalo skull on the altar. Nathan waited until he was finished and filled his pipe with a mixture of the bark of the red willow and tobacco. In an earlier ceremony, the shaman blessed the tobacco mixture. The assistant placed some coals from the fire on the fire stick, and pushed the stick into the earth altar to make the spirit fire. Nathan used one of the coals from the fire stick to light his pipe.

Nathan faced the altar and addressed the buffalo skull. "Grandmother, you have taken the horns from this skull. The wakanka of this buffalo still watches for the dawn. These horns we will honor."

Ryan watched as Nathan lit the pipe and listened to him address the skull again, "Hunka of the buffalo, this meat was yours, but you gave it to us. If there is a portion of it that you want, tell us and we will give it to you."

The shaman opened a small pouch and began to sprinkle it over the meat, which hung on the small rack. "My preparations are good and they make this meat sacred."

Nathan handed a wisp of sweet-grass to his assistant who crushed it in his hand and sprinkled it over the spirit fire.

As the air filled with the incense of the sweet-grass, Nathan looked up, "White God, favor us on this day. West Wind, keep the Winged One in your camp this day. Sun, we beg you to keep Iktomi and Anog Ite from this camp this day.

"Ihanbla Mato and all Hunkayapi are present here today. I am Nathan Two-Horse, shaman of the Oglala Lakota. I have traveled many miles to be with my Lakota brothers. For many years, I have studied and observed the old ways. My magic is strong and is right."

He looked at Ryan and Charlie. "This is an old and sacred ceremony. Once you are Hunka, you must follow the ways your Ate has taught you. I know how to wave the horsetails as our ancestors did. I will do this now. The young people forget how to do this."

"This young man desires to be Hunka. I will make him a Hunka as our ancestors were made to be Hunkayapi. The Sun looks on us and the Wind is pleased. The Wolf has gone to the hills. The Earth and the Rock and the Buffalo are in this lodge. They will help me make this young man a Hunka."

Nathan emptied his piped onto the ceremonial chopping board, and handed it to his assistant who then placed the refuse from the pipe into the spirit fire. It would be a sacrilege to empty the contents of the pipe on the ground.

After refilling the pipe and relighting it, Nathan walked to the door of the lodge and raised the mouthpiece towards the sun. "Mihunka, we will bring you a grandson this day."

Returning to his seat, Nathan handed his assistant some more sweet-grass for the spirit fire and then addressed Ryan. "Today I will make you Hunka. I will teach you how to live as a Hunka. These men whose bodies are painted red are Mihunka, they will tell you of the Hunkayapi. When they speak, let your ears be open."

Walter was the first one to speak. "To be Hunka is to be brothers. Once you and I are Hunka I will see you as my brother. It is a sacred obligation you are taking on. My father will become your father, and my mother will become your mother. You will be brother to all Hunkayapi. If they have no food, you will give them your food. If they have nothing for their feet, you will give them your moccasins. If they have no coat to keep them warm from the winter wind, you will give them yours. If they need help, you will go and help them. A true Hunka owns nothing, but has everything that his brothers have."