Moonlight Manor

Story Info
Sisters meet their betroths finding romance and darkness.
34.4k words
4.8
2.1k
1
0
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The gothic mansion stood in full moonlight hauntingly on the grounds of the endless estate. All that could be seen were the blackened tree figures that lead up the driveway. The only light came naturally from the sky and the small black Warwickshire lamp placed against the dusty coffee and umber bricks with walnut double doors finely carved into the shape of musical notes a feet away.

Twelve years had past since either Bell or Sage had last stepped foot on this property. Neither had been there since they were ten years old and still taking music lessons. Bell had celestial blue hair that was long and wavy stopping midway down her back, Sage who was similar had mint green hair that was straight and an inch longer than her twin's. Both shared orchid shaded eyes and were tired from their journey.

It was around ten when the driver of their private car had dropped them off, placing their luggage by the door with them before speeding off into the night. Both were nervous and afraid of what they would find, the changes mostly.

Seventeen years ago when the twins turned five they were arranged to be married to two prominent lords in their region. Their future husbands would first need to know them, so their mother drove them out a few times during their childhood to this very mansion. There both little girls would meet five strange little boys, boys with stranger abilities than that of their own.

They stayed a few nights and played with them, but after they reached ten all contact ceased. Well that was until their writing had improved, when both reached the age of thirteen they began writing to their childhood friends while their mother wrote to their guardian, their only living relative, their uncle. Their parents had died in a fire during a magic influence incident that took many lives.

Bell and Sage were aware that this arrangement was, because they wouldn't be safe once they had grown. Their powers came from their mother who was half druid and one quarter sorceress. Their bloodline was a long and rare one filled with hybrids whom were rare in the world.

To keep her daughters safe and comfortable, she signed away their choices to find love. She contacted an old acquaintance of hers who's nephews would one day run the estate he lived on, they would become Bell and Sage's guardians as well as their husbands, forever keeping them safe.

It also didn't hurt that they were vampires with old world blood, wealth, and nobility. They weren't just the strongest in their region, but they were also revered and loved by most of the people there. Even werewolves shook their hands with honor. Though the five men were allowed to leave and stay as they pleased, each was given their own private manor to run or live in. They also owned several inner city businesses that helped grow their mini empire.

And now both girls were dropped off as if they were going to daycare in the middle of the night. Their mother instructed them crudely and rudely before they arrived. She was a very critical woman, but she cared for them. At the moment their father was away on a business trip and had no say in this affair.

The doors to the large mansion creaked open slowly, a man with silver hair in a butler's uniform came out bowing "Forgive me, I was tending to my masters."

"There's no need- Sage begun, she was the eldest twin.

"There is no excuse for leaving you both out here for so long. Please come in. I'll take your luggage to your rooms." The butler held the doors open for them.

Everything was a walnut color with brilliant delicate carvings and an ivory marble floor shining with the lighted chandeliers beaming down on them.

The butler zoomed by them, hurrying up the grand stairs done over in the same marble, the railings were brown mahogany leading up and around to the second floor that had a royal blue embroidered carpet running down every hallway. Besides that there were two empty archways, a left and right.

As the girls looked around absorbing what they remembered a voice called out.

"My my." Both turned to see a man in a full on black suit, single breasted full canvas with a folded handkerchief, half lapis and half emerald. He had black hair that fell down past his shoulders and eyes the color of garnets. He smiled brightly at them arms open.

"Kiernan, it's been too long." Sage grinned at the familiar face approaching them.

"Yes it has...Look at you two, it's almost as if you blossomed over night. Just as beautiful as your mother." Kiernan hugged them both "If you need anything you can come to me. I practically live in the lounge now."

Sage and Bell looked at one another then back at Kiernan, Bell rubbed the side of her face "Um, it's been so long that we've forgotten some of the layout. But thank you, Kiernan."

"Of course, if you wish I could give you a tour or maybe one of the boys can." Kiernan tapped them on the shoulders "But we can discuss this later, for now I just want you two to feel comfortable and safe."

Bell sighed "That's very sweet of you, but it isn't just comfort and safety to worry about..do they even remember us? Or want us here?"

"I like your upfront attitude..well.." Kiernan rubbed the back of his head looking to the side "It's been over ten years, things have changed. So have they, they've matured some for the most part. As to them wanting you here, they're intrigued. We're just about to have dinner actually, this may be a nice surprise."

They were supposed to arrive in the morning, but their mother practically shoved them out into the cold night.

"If they don't sense us coming first." Sage added.

"True, come." Kiernan gestured towards the right, so they followed him into the den in beige and chestnut. There were four couches all in a square, potted plants in every corner, and a grand piano. Past that was the living room in olive and taupe tones, three couches with a taupe rug underneath, a dark wood coffee table, and a flat screen in the center of the rug facing the couches.

Next came an empty hallway with gray wallpaper, it too went left or right with several doors down each side, a spiral staircase at each end, and an archway in the middle of the wall. Kiernan then led them straight into the dining room and past that was the main kitchen.

The dining room had been repainted in peacock blue with golden fleur de lis symbols all over the wall, in the center was a long expresso table with matching chairs, underneath was a sable, lemon, and sapphire Persian rug.

At the table were five men. The eldest was Nathan, he had dark cobalt hair that came down his back(which he tied in an elegant ponytail) and shamrock colored eyes, he wore a beige sweater and black slacks. The second eldest was Sage's future husband, Tyler, he wore black wire framed glasses now and had chocolate smooth hair and hazel eyes, wearing a navy formal suit.

The middle child was Casre, who preferred being called Cas. He had silver hair that was styled to look spiky at top and shaved on the sides and back, his eyes were yellow, and he wore a simple black tee and tan cargo pants. After him was Bell's betrothed, Liam.

He had short burgundy hair that had been combed a little down his neck, his eyes were an icy blue. Unlike in childhood he seemed bored, dead eyed even in his gray long sleeved button up and black pants. Last came Erin who was blonde with short wavy hair and amber eyes, he wore an orange dress shirt and dark pants. Each brother was one year apart, starting with Nathan who was twenty six.

"Fellas, look who's just arrived for supper." Kiernan spoke happily before taking his seat at the head of the table, Nathan was opposite of him. Casre sat to Nathan's right while Tyler was on his left, Erin sat by Tyler and Liam by Casre. There were two empty seats, on by Cas and the other by Liam. All the men stared as the two young women approached their seats causing Kiernan to cough hinting to them.

Liam stood up stiffly looking down at Bell who stared silently unsure of what to say. He then looked down at the chair and pulled it out for her. Once Bell sat, he pushed the seat in before sitting back in his own chair. Tyler was about to do the same, but Cas got up before he did allowing Sage to sit.

"I apologize, they forget their manners." Kiernan said grabbing for his empty glass "Did Hayes get the bottle that I requested?"

"Yes, he's going to bring it out once the main course has been served." Nathan said before he gave a wide grin "It's been quite awhile, Sage, Bell. I was only fourteen when you stopped coming over. I can't say that I didn't miss your company, always discovering new things, curious little girls you were."

"Not half as curious as Cas." Sage laughed.

"I remember, you were my partner in crime." Cas gave her a playful nudge.

"And while you two played detective, we were stuck being the look outs." Liam complained.

"Please, you were a lazy look out, you fell asleep twice during out adventures."

"Digging up the flowers in the garden is hardly an adventure."

"Didn't you find a treasure box, though?" Erin asked "One of our ancestors or a child of theirs had buried an old diamond ring there."

"My money would be on a child playing with their mother's jewelry." Tyler guessed "The diamond fell out once they brought it inside."

"Guilt does eat away at the soul." Nathan said tilting his head at Tyler to engage with his fiancé.

"Sage, I heard that you enjoyed studying space. We have a magnificent library here on all subjects." Tyler cheered.

"Really? I may have to check it out sometime. Last time Bell and I came you called it puny." Sage said with a gracious smile.

"At the time it was." Kiernan sniffed "It was a small selection, so I voted on more books along with Tyler. Bell, you're awfully quiet. When you were younger you used to voice your opinions loudly at high volumes if I remember."

Cas laughed "Isn't that the truth, like when I set that squirrel loose in Liam's room. You screamed at me and made me apologize."

"Well that's only, because you loved pranking everyone..I just didn't understand why you did so. And as for my voice, I try not to strain it."

"Didn't you shout at Liam before? Erin, you remember that time?" Cas asked looking up into the air as if he were rewinding events in his head.

"Yes." Erin perked up, Nathan shot him a warning look "Um..maybe I'm remembering something else."

Cas looked once at Nathan and dropped the entire thing in an instant.

"Maybe focus on happier memories." Their big brother told them.

"It wasn't exactly bad." Liam said, he glanced down at Bell "You told me that you hated me."

"Well you did say that you don't like girls who are opinionated, strong women scared you I suppose." Bell joked.

"Strong girls, no. But strong women.." Liam gave a half smile "Opinions change."

Bell blushed, even though it had been so long she still got butterflies in her stomach when he looked at her. He was still handsome and knew just what to say to keep things from being awkward. He was being warm now, but maybe that was just his remembering the past.

"Have nothing to say?"

"I always said that I preferred boys who were tall and could make me laugh. But a man that could make me smile...well as you said things change." Bell smirked. Liam looked into her violet eyes happily, it was like looking through a doorway to their childhood. They were best friends, racing through the gardens, covering for their siblings, poking around in the cellar and attic to find mysteries and games to play. But for some reason he felt that she was holding herself back.

"That's a relief, I thought you would be all dolled up and dull-

"Please mind your manners." Tyler said rashly "There's no need to s-

"And I thought you would be cold and distant. I guess we were both making assumptions." Bell admitted, Liam gave a small laugh. It was nice to see him laugh, like when they watched Cas make a fool of himself during their own personally made talent show, both had rolled on the floor completely amused.

"Yeah."

"So do you use your magic?" Erin asked switching to another topic. Sage and Bell exchanged a look.

"Oh no, they're keeping their secrets again." Nathan noticed the look, he had never seen two siblings as those as Sage and Bell, sometimes they kept things to themselves as not to make any faux pas.

"Sorry, our mother's been...strict about using our powers around the house. We've mostly lived mundanely, the only times we've ever actually used our powers were here when Kiernan allowed it."

"That is a true waste." Kiernan murmured "Is your mother that worried?"

"She bolted the doors and windows at one point, worried is an understatement." Sage replied.

"Well she was always a cautious woman. How's your father?"

"Working away from home as usual, but he's in good health."

"Wonderful." Soon Hayes arrived with the first course, Bell was expecting him to come flying in from the left, but he came from the right archway where the kitchen was with the first course that he plated himself while pouring wine, water, and tea.

Kiernan sighed with relief and smiled as he looked at the dark red liquid filling half of his glass, it was like nectar from the gods. "Thank you, Hayes. And please skip dessert for me tonight. I'm retiring early."

"Yes, my lord." Hayes bowed before running back into the kitchen.

Kiernan took one sip and his eyes brightened before dulling again.

"Uncle, we have things to...push through." Tyler coughed.

Kiernan leered at him "They just got here tonight. I wanted to give them room to breathe. But if we must..." Kiernan turned to Sage, then to Bell. "I wanted you two to get more acquainted with this place again, and us as well. But we do have to discuss your engagements and all that entails."

"We understand." Sage told him "Where do we begin?"

"Plans." Nathan said "And an introduction with the other nobles in this area, our neighbors and old family friends should be acquainted with our family's need additions."

"And our enemies." Liam added taking a sip of wine from his glass.

"Watch it." Tyler warned angrily "Being a lord entitles-

"Us to so many things." Cas then looked at Sage "Parties, women, gifts, drugs, though we've never partaken in drugs."

Sage gave a scoffing laugh in disbelief "And the women?"

"Don't listen too intently to Cas." Tyler murmured "As lords of this manor we each partake in several tasks to keep it up and running. We also try our best to provide and help those around us, noble or not."

"That's interesting, what do you do for them exactly?" Bell wondered.

"Sponsors, scholarships, programs in the middle and high schools, college grants, donations. Tyler opts to read to the children in the orphanage down in the heart of the city." Erin said this to try and bolster his brother.

"That's sweet." Sage gave a friendly smile to Tyler who smiled back. He had always had a crush on her when he was younger, the soft green tone of her hair, the way she was able to smile even in the most unpleasant circumstances. It eased him that way.

"It's a fully stocked orphanage too, with all our wealth we didn't see reason to hold on to so much money and keep it for ourselves. This is our community just as much as those who live in the city and nearby towns. Cas usually makes his rounds at the community centers and boarding houses. Nate makes appearances at the hospitals."

Kiernan chuckled "Yes, he did want to work in the medical field at one point. But his popularity is too much for him to take."

"So, you've turned your back on medicine?" Bell drunk some water to wet her throat "You clung to your medical books all the time."

"I still do." Nate laughed lowly "But it's required that I use my birth name and once they hear that I'm a Darwood and it's a wrap. Everyone swarms me with questions like I'm some movie star. But I do study my books from time to time."

"Working under pressure is a skill that you've already mastered, what's one final step?" Kiernan asked leaning back comfortably in his chair, he took up his fork and dug into his cooling Arrabbiata pasta "Delicious."

"I can't be as easy as you when it comes to blending into a crowd, uncle."

"We all have that problem. Liam sent a painting down to the community center last week, everyone there were jumping up and down with questions." Erin told them "I tried to hide behind him, but he shoved me into the crowd."

Liam turned to Erin with an evil grin plastered on his face "You were pressed against my back like a little monkey. Why should I have to suffer alone?"

"Being around that many people isn't suffering." Erin pointed out.

"But it is annoying and ridiculous. We're people too, undead people. But still." Liam poked at his food, not really hungry.

"I was in your shoes over two centuries ago." Kiernan held his wine glass in hand, swirling what was left at the bottom. "Things fell through for me and my bride to be, but your father got to be with his soul mate. He embraced all the paperwork and signing while I sat around drinking. And he never complained."

"So how does this go forward?" Bell inquired. Kiernan began filling her and her sister in on their arrangement. For the first few months they would be settling into their new home in their own separate bedrooms. Then there would be an introduction party to greet their friends, some of the locals, nobles from neighboring regions, and people who they would speak with to authorize certain events and area security details.

After their introduction to society, they would go over wedding plans, go into the city for other junctures joining their respective fiancés. As time passed they would they have and engagement party, once the plans were completed then a wedding reception all which would be thrown there on the Darwood grounds. Most likely all the parties including the receptions would be thrown in the ballroom.

With the marriages officiated both Sage and Bell would be given the title of Lady Darwood just as Kiernan's late sister-in-law. They would then move into a new room, one that they and their beaux would pick to stay in, so it wouldn't just a change for them, but the men as well. Even with the arrangement being formed for protection, nobles would expect heirs to arrive shortly after the marriage to make it all official. But Kiernan nor his nephews would push for it too soon.

With all of that said, dinner slowly wasted away into everyone's bellies. Now full Kiernan finished off his third glass, there was one final thing to discuss. It was called marking.

"What is that?" Bell wiped her mouth on the white linen cloth, her brain absorbing all the information circulating from the table.

"It's a bite." Liam said curtly.

Kiernan blew air from his mouth tired of the work around "It's a clan tradition, when a vampire wanted to keep another from his prey or his lover, they would mark them. The mark acts as a repellant to other vampires and paranormals, it also ties you to one another. With a bite, Tyler and Liam would be able to sense if you were in danger."

"Why is everyone so quiet now? Is there something else?" Sage prodded watching their eyes shy away from her.

"There is a second part to this whole process, it's not just drinking your blood. You must perform a ritual where your blood mingles with their...um skin." Kiernan gulped uncomfortably "I'm still too sober for this part. Nate, could you?"

Nate nodded "Some time before your marriage you would have to lose your virtue in the ritual of coitus. Your blood would mix together with their own creating a sort of unity. This would also prevent anyone who would wish you harm unable to take away your maidenhood."

Bell coughed some of her water into the cloth "I don't know if you could call that a ritual."

"Our family does. It would be like a brand. You would be shielded by their power. And with the marriage you would be given definite protection here on the property and by us."