Moss Island Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

We didn't go out for the next several days; the two of us stayed in. I called JP and gave him the time and date for the memorial, and he told me he would take care of reaching out to the others. I also called Jack Williams, and he gave the information as well. He also told me he would take care of touching base with the people that needed to have that information and JP. Somewhere along the line, I spoke with Margie and asked her if it might be possible to change the name at the community center from Catherine to Cat. Hell, nobody would know Catherine, but maybe they'd remember Cat and how she loved her fish fry. She was sure that the name change would be no big deal. And she went on to tell me that the center had been given, as a memorial to Cat, more than enough money to do the long-planned upgrades and renovations. I asked her if JC might not do this and thought he could but would check with him. The only person we saw other than the occasional room service waiter was the jeweler who came around to deliver Rainey's re-worked ring. Her eyes closed when the ring arrived, and she let out a soft moan.

Tuesday morning came, and the two of us were standing together looking out the corner window of our temporary home towards the Square and our home to the east. We stood together wordlessly, seeing life return to the streets as birds flew around the sky. Finally, I took a deep breath and held my woman's hand. "Baby, we could stand here all day. But we both know; we have to go and honor the woman that we both loved in so many ways." Suddenly I was wrapped up inside the most loving hug ever. We stood together, wrapped in each other's arms. Eventually, we dressed in what Rainey called 'parish clothes' and headed out. When we got to the garage, someone was sitting in my old car's driver's seat, so we got in the back seat and began the longest journey of our lives.

We got to the island just as Marge, Roland and JC arrived; Ali, Ward and the still mysterious young woman came over. JP and his wife Carol arrived along with their son JT. JP had the urn with him, which he took and placed under the base of the family tree. Others began to arrive. The person who got my attention was Judge Fontenot. He went over to Rainey, and they spoke privately for a long while. As he stepped back, he took her hand in his and kissed the back of her hand. Then he went to where he was standing before. Then we began; Margie began speaking, telling the story of her sister's life and how, in the end, she had found happiness here on the island. Rainey and I were standing off to the side. When Margie finished, Rainey went over to the tree and picked up the urn very carefully as her hands were visibly shaking. She took the top off the urn and handed it to me. After taking a very deep breath, she slowly scattered her mom's ashes underneath the tree. When she finished, she dropped the urn and came to me, and we both held each other close. After that, everyone came over and said a few words. Then we were alone together under the tree.

The next morning found the two of us once more standing together in what I recognized was our corner. Yesterday afternoon and last night were hard for both of us, but new promise and life were there with the new day. "Linc, I want to take my car and drive out to the island." I nodded and smiled inwardly at what she wanted as I knew my lady was rushing back. When we got to the garage, Rainey firmly told the folks there that she wanted her four-wheeler and not my old barge. With that, we were off. In a moment or two, my darling woman looked over with those sweet puppy dog eyes and asked if I might be interested in joining her in breakfast? With the question hanging in the air, she almost ran a red light and made an illegal left turn. That had to enrage our friends behind us. As we raced uptown to what she called either my hash house or the greasy spoon. We pulled into the parking lot and went in. Much to our surprise, there was no line, so we sat down, and of course, Mister Charles appeared with his magnetic smile. He shamelessly flirted with Rainey, all the while giving me my usual ration of shit. We ordered breakfast, and as we were finishing our meal, a couple of members of our security team came into the restaurant shaking their heads. As they sat down, we left, and by a wandering route, we ended up back on the River Road. When we got to the side road that went down to the community center, Rainey took a hard turn and raced down the road to the center. Stopping and looking, then smiling, "hey babe, look, the sign's been changed. Now it says Cat, not Catherine. That's good; I think mom would like that."

We raced back up the shell road and headed down to turn off towards the island. Once again, there were security folks there who waved us on. When we got out to the island, we just sat there in the car and took in the quiet and beauty of our place. Rainey got out of the car and looked over at me, "come on, my wonderful man, let's go for a walk." It was then that I noticed that she was wearing the engagement ring for the first time I could recall seeing the ring on her finger. Of course, the pups had to come over and welcome us home. We walked around our island past the burnt-out remains of the old house. We both agreed that was something we needed to deal with. I asked if the man she met at New College might help? She nodded, then said she'd find out. We went on around and stopped at where momma had wanted her vegetable garden and henhouse. And, of course, there was Grandpere's Satsuma grove. Then Rainey led me over to Ward's new bench next to the family tree, and we sat down together. Sitting there together, holding each other's hand.

After a few moments, Rainey looked up at me and smiled that smile that always filled me in ways I had not known before. "Linc, I need to tell you some things. While mom was truthful about us, she didn't give you the whole picture. We, mom, Aunt Margie, Ali and her daughter Sara, and some other women who live out here in the parish are all members of a coven. Yes, Linc, we are what I suppose you could say; we are witches if that is what you want to call us. Individually and collectively, we have what? Abilities others don't have. We can and do have ways of talking with all the elements in our natural world. Yes, that means I can and do talk, if you will, with the dogs here, but also with the birds in the trees as well the creatures that live in water around the island and the trees too. Linc, I can understand how you may feel about this. But please hear me out. Both mom and I can see into the future, certainly not clearly but so pitfalls can be avoided. Mom knew her time here was very limited which is why she did many things. She wanted you and me to be united, which I hope and pray we will be united as man and wife. Also, we can, I can, communicate with the departed. As I was placing mom's ashes around the tree here, she introduced me to Grandpere, who is totally in favor of our living in his old house. I also met his wife, June or as many would call her June bug. And yes, Linc she too is magical, which is how we think of ourselves. We see ourselves as magical. I've also met your mom and dad; your dad is as much of a character as Grandpere is. And no, Linc, your mom was not magical. I've also met your first wife, Laura, as well as your son Lincoln Jr. He's called by everyone LJ and he keeps his doxie, Ralphie, with him all the time. Laura was magical; her passing due to the plague caught everyone in the coven by surprise."

"Linc you must know that I love you with no hesitation or reservation. I so look forward to us standing together here under this tree, the family tree and the two of us getting married."

********** Epilogue **********

Three weeks later, JC had finished the renovations on the old house and Rainey and Linc moved back home. Rainey went exploring in the debris pile that was the old house. Where she found Grandpere's mule strap, which she hung in the new kitchen. When JC finished the renovations, Linc asked him to put up a place for Ali, Ward and Sara on the island. And haul the debris from the burned-out remains of the house that had been there.

JP got back with Linc and told him that the land between the community center and the education center further down River Road belonged to him.

Our lives began to return to a degree of ordinary. A week or so before, Rainey would be starting New College, where she would be working toward a BFA in Design. The two of us went to Judge Fontenot's office on a Friday afternoon. We got married in his office in a very quiet ceremony. That evening we went to the community center's fish fry. We had become regulars at the weekly event and stayed as much as possible in the background. But, well, this evening was what we thought of as our wedding reception. Lord knows that neither one of us needed anything but wanted to give back to our community. After we got up in front of our neighbors, friends and family and told everyone we had done it, we were married. And as our way of thanking everyone for their love over the past months. JC would do the renovations and upgrades to the center on our dime. Also, we would be working with historical folks to put up a heritage center for our community just off River Road.

Additionally, there would be an expanded center next to the education complex next door that would have a gym, exercise room and an enclosed pool. In the back of the room, I saw JP's son sitting with Sara, and the two of them were lost in their own worlds. All I could think was, so go ahead and take a bite of that apple. It is so very sweet and juicy, but your life will change in ways you can begin to believe when you do.

Just before the holiday season the news media reported on a series of massive, coordinated strikes and raids on the drug cartels. Seventeen banks and related financial institutions saw their charters revoked, additionally over two and half billion dollars were impounded from various accounts. Over one hundred and eighty five people had been taken into custody. Twenty seven outposts hidden in the jungles where destroyed with either missile strikes, or ground forces overnight. Several landing strips where also destroyed and another eight 'fishing' boats where captured by Martine Services. Jack Roberts who delivered the information on the strikes when on to say that they would continue to closely monitor the area and should there be any suggestion of new 'labs' or drug related outposts. The next series of raids would be in daylight hours with the intent to do maximum damage to the people there. Four days later another series of strikes occurred with an unknown number of casualties to people in and around the sites.

Two years later, when Rainey was about to graduate, I was told that they would become the father of twin girls. And my beloved had already selected their names, June and Catherine.