Mrs. Wong's Finishing School

Story Info
Asian teens are empowered through smoking and...intimacy.
44.6k words
4.5
4.5k
1
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
uciboy
uciboy
42 Followers

MRS. WONG'S FINISHING SCHOOL FOR ASIAN TEENS

by uciboy

Author's Note: I wrote the original version of this story nearly 20 years ago when I was relatively new to the Asian Smoking genre. I recently decided to extensively revise it, with one exception. Max 120 cigarettes were discontinued in 2010, but I've decided to keep the brand in this revision because of its significance to the characters who smoke them.

PART I - MOTHERS, DAUGHTERS AND AGE OLD BATTLES

Imagine if you will, reader, a scene as enchanting as this one: three beautiful and sophisticated Asian American women in their late 30s each smoking a long 120 cigarette as they sit at a kitchen table one afternoon chatting. Smoke hangs heavily in the air as each take one gentle puff after another, periodically tapping their cigarette on one of two full ashtrays that sit on the table. Each have their own unique style of smoking - a cheek hollow, a snap, or a French inhale. They hold their cigarettes with confidence, perpendicular to their face, or an arm straight out as it rests on the table. They bring the smoldering instrument slowly up to their lips and breathe in its joyous contents after making the tip glow. They are comfortable here, enjoying a guilty pleasure which in fact they feel no guilt over enjoying. The thick smoke moves slowly across the room like a glacier as it is reflected in the late-afternoon sunlight pouring in through the windows.

Elizabeth, Georgia, and May were lifelong friends, growing up in prosperous, if not necessarily rich, families in Taipei. Only through the business ventures of their husbands were they able to gain entry into the economic elite they so desperately wanted to be a part of. Here, in Beverly Hills, they lived like the wives of the Chinese landlords of old. Their husbands treated them like spoiled brats, acceding to every whim and selfish desire they had. Of course, they drove the best cars, wore the most expensive fashion designer clothes, and made every effort to flaunt their wealth and status. They were convinced that they were invincible. Not even smoking could harm them.

And oh, how theyloved smoking. Indeed, they were conditioned early in life as they watched their own mothers enjoy their cigarettes over games of mahjong to believe that smoking was both fun and social. As teenagers, they came to understand how smoking enhanced their beauty and sophistication, and they eagerly embraced their addictions with hardly a look of disapproval from their parents. When they immigrated to America in their early twenties with their husbands, they chose their new American brands both with pride and a keen sense of how it represented their individual identities. Of course, they were each attracted to 120s. "Everything is bigger in America!" Georgia once gushed when she purchased her first pack of Eve. "I just like having something long in my mouth," Elizabeth once whispered wickedly to the laughter of her two friends. They were proud to call themselves smokers as they believed the long, thin cigarettes between their fingers was a reflection of the level of refinement and femininity that was of their new social status.

And so on this warm summer day, these three housewives were gathered together over jasmine tea and cigarettes as they did every Wednesday, enjoying one another's company, sharing jokes and stories, and gossiping about friends and neighbors.

"Did you see what Alice Gong was wearing the other night at the Founder's Dinner," Georgia sneered as she stubbed out her Eve and quickly reached for another out of the floral designed pack. "I swear I wouldn't be buried in a gown like that." She held the cigarette between her lips and brought the flame up to the tip which turned a bright orange. "It was positively hideous," she said, holding a puff inside her lungs before blowing a gust out of the side of her mouth. "What on earth was she thinking?"

Elizabeth made a loud hiss as she blew a stream of smoke across the table. "What do you expect from New Money," she said derisively. "Her husband didn't make his fortune until he sold his company last year."

"That woman wouldn't know taste if it fell on her head like a sack of potatoes," May added with a tap of her Virginia Slims against the rim of the ashtray. "You know she grew up in a peasant family on the mainland. If it wasn't for her husband's software start-up, she'd be knee deep in rice paddies."

"Well, I'm certain that it was a potato sack that the gown was made of," Georgia said with a wicked smile before bringing the freshly lit cigarette back up to her lips for a gentle puff.

These three women were merciless in their criticism of the new wealth from Asia, especially mainland China, buying up property throughout the Los Angeles basin. Attending American schools in Taiwan and living in the US for twenty years, these immigrant transplants had little trouble assimilating into the culture. They considered themselves Americans; Chinese-Americans (from Taiwan) in terms of ethnic identity, but proud Americans all the same.

But to any astute observer, this petty carping was in reality a cover for their own social insecurities. They knew, based on their economic backgrounds in Taiwan, that they were not full-fledged members of the American aristocracy; that they were themselves part of thenouveau riche that the upper-crust disdained. Their husbands could (and did) portray themselves as self-made men, achieving some respect from their upper-class peers. Their wives, however, were seen as little more than upstart, vulgar, social climbers. They were not educated in music, art, or literature. They couldn't tell you the difference from a Matisse or a Monet painting.Did Bach and Beethoven have different styles? They both wrote classical music, right? None of the three women had any post-high school training.

Elizabeth, Georgia and May were all determined that their off-spring would not face the same humiliating lack of respect from their peers. Hoping that their own children would be close friends, each had a child - to their joy, a daughter - within a few months apart of one another; and then each stopped at one since they weren't about to let prolonged motherhood interfere with their carefree lifestyle. They sent their girls to the best private schools in Brentwood; showered them with expensive gifts, clothes, and jewelry; and constantly reminded them that they were better than any of the common people they encountered outside of their economic-social circle. These American born girls would not, these mothers were determined, face the indignity of being calledparvenu since they were born into wealth.

Now if only their daughters would act the parts they were born to play!

---------------------------------

As these mothers shared a good laugh over their perceived superiority, the kitchen door swung open and in walked three teenage girls.

"Hi Mom, hi aunties," each one said to the women at the table. Each of the three girls at age 18 were beautiful in their own way. Caroline had a long face with sharp eyes like her mother's, and her long black hair frizzed from too many perms. Jenny had a round face with sharp facial features and black hair that was short like a bob. And then there was Lilly with hair down to her shoulders and soft facial features that would easily land her a career as a model, she was as pretty as a model but as rambunctious as a Tomboy. She was without question the most beautiful of the three daughters and the trio's unspoken leader.

Though sharing their mother's good looks, there was little else they had in common. All three were straight-A students (which, of course, gave their Chinese mothers bragging rights with friends and neighbors). But college? Despite being told time and time again that they wouldn't need higher education to be happy with the wealth their parents would always provide to them, these sisters in arms were UCLA bound with the intention of finding some career to change the world. They showed no desire to accept their debutant roles within the American nobility. They loved sports and other outdoor activities. For them, etiquette and protocol were words that one studied for the SAT rather than to live by. While their mother's bought them the most expensive fashions on Rodeo Drive, the girls were much more comfortable in T-shirts and Levis. They wore their hair however it felt comfortable at the time: wrapped in a bun or loose and unkempt.

And they absolutelydetested smoking.

As Lilly was their hostess, she walked over to the refrigerator to offer her friends a soft-drink. All three were sweating profusely and their mothers looked at them with disapproving eyes as they scanned the soiled clothes the girls wore.

"What on earth have you three urchins been doing?" Elizabeth asked with disgust.

Caroline took a swig of the Diet Coke in her hand and said to her mother after swallowing, "We were down at the Boys and Girls Club volunteering. After helping the kids clean up the gym, we decided to play some basketball with them."

"They are so cute," Jenny added. "Now I'm certain that I want to study counseling next year at UCLA."

Georgia slowly shook her head disapprovingly as she listened to her daughter's words, as if to pantomime,where did I go wrong?

"Honey," Elizabeth said to Caroline, "stand up straight. Don't slouch like you're a beggar. You come from a good family. Show people you're proud."

"Mom," Caroline said with aggravation, "will you stop it with all this 'good family' stuff? You're such a snob."

"You girls are filthy and should go clean up," May said to them sternly.

"Really, we're dirty?" Lilly asked as she moved her nose down to her armpit for a sniff. "I don't know how you can even tell with all the smoke hanging in the air in here." The three girls smiled as their mothers shifted uncomfortably in their chairs.

"Enjoy your cancer sticks," Caroline added in a parting shot as she and her friends walked out of the kitchen giggling.

The room was quiet until the silence was broken by the flick of May's lighter as she lit a fresh Virginia Slims. "I swear," she said shaking her head as she looked down at the table, "sometimes I wonder whether Lilly is really my daughter."

"I know how you feel," Georgia said sympathetically as she placed her hand on May's, her cigarette jutting out between her fingers. "I had such high hopes for Jenny. All of their lives we've been planning their coming out party: a private reception at the California Club, a dinner and ball at the Biltmore - something really extravagant. But when I mentioned this to her a few weeks ago, she recoiled in disgust at the thought. 'I want to go to college,' she protested. 'I'll think about marriage later.'"

"Caroline wouldn't even consider going to a debutant ball," Elizabeth added, "despite my pleading."

"I can top that," May said. "Last weekend Lilly brought over a young man to watch videos...and his father works as a gym coach. A gym coach!! I was so humiliated...not just for myself but for my Lilly. Why would she demean herself by even speaking to such a boy?"

"It's a total lack of respect for their social position," Elizabeth said in disgust before taking a cheek-hollowed puff and crushing her Max in the ashtray. "I just don't understand girls today. It's like they've totally lost all sense of class."

"It's sports," Georgia offered. "All that soccer playing and basketball. It's absolutely ruining their young physique. You'd think a woman having muscles was attractive, for God's sake."

"Mmmmmmm," May hummed in agreement. "But I really think that popular music is to blame. I mean, just look at how these young female pop stars dress today. You're praised for looking like a slut. Don't these people know what a hairbrush is? I mean...hello...?"

Elizabeth reached into her pack of Max and said as she placed the cigarette between her fingers, "Sisters, you're both wrong. It's this," she said holding up the cigarette before them, "or I should say, the lack of it." Elizabeth put the long white cigarette between her lips and quickly lit it, French inhaling a small ball of smoke before continuing. "Girls today have been brainwashed with all of this goddam anti-smoking propaganda." She lifted her head and blew out a thin stream, the bulk of the smoke remaining in her lungs. "They have no idea how important smoking is to a woman's femininity."

Georgia and May both nodded their heads in agreement as they slowly made the tips of their cigarettes shine brightly.

"But that's about to change for my Caroline." Smoke slowly cascaded down through Elizabeth's nostrils as she waited for the reaction of her two friends.

"What do you have planned?" Georgia asked her suspiciously.

"A friend gave me the name of a very 'unique' finishing school in San Marino run by a woman named Mrs. Geraldine Wong who offers an individualized intensive two-week course on refinement, etiquette, and protocol. She absolutely guarantees that her pupils embrace 'all' aspects of their femininity. Do you get my drift?" Elizabeth took an extended draw on her Max and let the smoke slowly rise out from between her lips before sucking it quickly back into her mouth.

"Sounds intriguing," Georgia replied as she gently touched the wire rim eyeglasses resting on her nose. "But how does it work?"

"I spoke with Mrs. Wong last week, and she told me that she employs a number of intellectual and mental exercises to build self-esteem and encourage the pupil to embrace both her femininity and rightful place in society. She doesn't try to...oh, what's the expression...oh, yes, to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. She'll only take young girls who have grown up in elite surroundings in new wealth families who have lost their way and just need to be pointed in the right direction."

"And they'll be smokers by the end of the session?" Georgia asked anxiously.

"Mrs. Wong guarantees it," Elizabeth responded. "Smoking is a central component of the lesson plans in the adoption of a level of sophistication and empowerment."

"Oh, I wanted so much for Jenny to take up smoking. And when I approached her about it when she was a freshman, I thought for a moment I had her - but then she pulled back."

Elizabeth had an expression of sympathy on her face. "You'll remember that I actually got Caroline to try a cigarette. But after one Max, she refused to try anymore. I'm hoping this finishing school canfinish the lessons I tried to give her."

"I don't know," May said with some concern as she rolled the tip of her Virginia Slim gently in the ashtray, "sounds like brainwashing to me."

Elizabeth exhaled a stream of smoke up towards the light and replied, "I prefer to call it 'attitude readjustment.' I'm desperate, ladies. And what have I got to lose? It's only $40,000. I'd pay twice that if I knew with certainty that I could plan for Caroline's coming-out party. This is my last chance. So - she's leaving this evening."

"This evening?" May said with surprise. "That's rather sudden. What does your husband think about this?"

"Now May," Elizabeth said coyly, "you know that James will do whatever I ask," and she made the tip off her Max turn a bright orange as she double pumped a puff.

Of course, May and Georgia understood Elizabeth's meaning. All it took was the puff of a cigarette, and their husbands were like silly-putty in their hands.

"I want Mrs. Wong's phone number," Georgia said quickly as she stubbed out her Eve and reached into her purse for a pen. Elizabeth pulled a piece of paper out of her pocket and read aloud the number for her, then noticed that May wasn't writing anything down.

"May, Lilly could become the woman you always dreamed of. Don't you want that?"

"Of course I do, Elizabeth." May hesitated for a moment. "But I'm just not sure about this Mrs. Wong. It all sounds rather suspicious to me."

"Well, you think about it. But Georgia and I will need to know pretty soon whether you want to include Lilly in the girls' coming out ball."

+++++++++++++++++++

"Our Moms are so much alike, it's scary," Lilly said as she led Caroline and Jenny upstairs to her bedroom.

"Is it abnormal to hate my mother?" Caroline asked.

"What teenage girl doesn't?" May responded. "I just can't stand being around her anymore. All I hear is, 'Lilly do this! Lilly do that!' And man, the 'Chinese Mom' guilt trip I get from her if I don't do what she wants! She's like one of those ghastly dementors fromHarry Potter. I just feel the life being sucked out of me whenever she's nearby."

Caroline and Georgia both nodded sympathetically. Their experience with their own mothers was no different.

"It's the materialism I can't stand anymore." Jenny added with aggravation. "It's like their desires are the only ones that matter. I don't want to have anything to do with them or their so called 'values.'"

Lilly agreed. "My Mom is so selfish, you know? All she cares about is money and what others think of her. Well, I don't care about that crap."

"I knowexactly how you feel," Caroline added as the three sat down on the bed facing each other in a triangle. "It drives me crazy when I go shopping with my Mom. She's only interested at looking at the most expensive item in a store with the right fashion label. And my Ba doesn't care! He totally encourages her."

There was a moment of silence as the three girls communally rued ever being born to such awful parents.

"And yet..." Caroline added thoughtfully, "sometimes I get these thoughts about how easy life could be if...." She paused to take a drink from her Diet Coke. "If I just accepted the way things were, you know?"

The three girls grew silent for a moment as they considered what Caroline had said.

"I bet that we've all had those thoughts," Lilly added. "Our mothers have tried to shape us a certain way. Hell, my mother even tried to convince me to take up smoking when I was a freshman in high school."

"That's so weird," Jenny said in astonishment. "So did mine!"

Jenny and Lilly both looked at Caroline. "Mine, too," she said with a sigh. "I have to admit that I did consider it. I used to think my Mom looked sooo cool smoking a long cigarette. I still do, actually," she added, feeling guilty saying it out loud. "I even...kind of liked it."

Jenny and Lilly had a scandalous expression on their faces.

"But," Caroline added quickly, "I knew, of course, how bad smoking is for you, and I just didn't want to start. So I never tried it again."

Jenny and Lilly turned their eyes down towards the bed. They had had the same thoughts when their mothers approached them about smoking.

"I guess it's only natural that we would be tempted to live the kind of life they live," Lilly said thoughtfully.

"Well," Jenny added, "tempted or not, Idon't want to live that kind of life. I'm going to college and find a job where I can help people. And Idon't want to smoke!"

"Ditto," Caroline said.

"So," Lilly said, eager to change the subject, "let's talk about this fundraiser for the Boys and Girls Club. I think that having a dance is a great idea. Caroline, you played in the band. Do you think you can get anyone together over the summer?"

"I can try, but unfortunately it will have to wait until I get back in two weeks."

"Get back?" Jenny asked. "Get back from where?"

"I'm going to this finishing school in San Marino. The only way I could get my Mom to stop bugging me about not wanting a debutant ball was agreeing to go to this school. She's actually paying $40,000! I told her it was a waste of money, but she's very stubborn."

"Wow, $40,000," Lilly said with amazement. "Just think what we could do with that for the Boys and Girls Club."

uciboy
uciboy
42 Followers