Mud and Magic Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Sure." Rhys plucked the cover off the second bed and shook it out before draping it over Celeste.

"We should let her rest," Elara said. "Come."

Celeste's hand shot out from under the duvet and closed around Rhys' wrist. "I wouldn't mind if you kept me company for the night. Now that Mirrin is gone, I don't fancy sleeping alone." Almost pleading, she asked: "Would you mind?"

Rhys looked into her eyes. Ever since he had known her, Celeste had been the strong one, the one who had patched him up when his brothers had nearly broken him. She had been a spot of hope in his dreary existence, along with Dara and Gran and Mirrin. Her eyes had filled him with resolve, even in his worst moments. Now they were wide and flickering, like a doe's staring at the hunter's weapon or a rabbit's when it was cornered.

"Not at all. I'll stay with you as long as you want," Rhys said. "If that is all right with you, Elara."

"Under one condition. No sex."

"I think we all can agree on that," Celeste said, chuckling. "As much as I wouldn't mind someone to chase Faedal's image from my mind even I know when not to push my luck. We won't do anything. Pinky promise."

"I wouldn't do anything to ever hurt you," Rhys vowed.

"And thank the Lifegiver I know you so well," Elara said, a bright smile on her lips. "I'll wake you tomorrow morning." She breathed another kiss onto Celeste's lips. She hugged Rhys. "Be nice to her," Elara whispered. "Silly me. I know you will be." Her hands kneaded his butt before she slid from his embrace. She doused all lights apart from one and left.

Celeste moved under the covers. "Slip in," she said, smiling slightly.

"You heard Elara. The last thing I need is a furious elven cat tearing out my guts."

Celeste sighed. "I don't need Elara to protect my honor. What I need are your caring arms to hold me while I cry my eyes out again. Don't make me beg."

"I would never-"

"Then get under the covers. Please."

"All right. You tell me when you hurt, okay?"

She laughed weakly. "I'll tell you when it doesn't, how about that?"

Rhys slid out of his robes and kicked off his sandals. "I'll leave the loincloth on."

Celeste whistled through her teeth. "What a difference some good meals and regular beatings by Hagazz can make," she whispered in awe. "I hardly recognize you. Except for the scars. They are still the same."

"The more things change, the more they stay the same," Rhys said, sliding under the covers. "Before, my father and brothers have beaten me senseless, now I'm happily asking the weapons master for a thrashing. And Idunn isn't too gentle either."

Celeste scooted closer until she could hug him. Rhys froze as her breasts pressed against his chest. They ended up nose to nose. Celeste smiled. "I know for a fact that you shouldn't freeze like a startled doe. Not after you shared the pillow with Dara and Elara already."

"But... it's you. And you forgot Chassari."

"Oh?" Celeste's eyes lit up. "You have been busy, little Rhys, haven't you?"

"Don't start," he complained. "You sound too much like Sen."

"I didn't know that this little bit of teasing would fluster you so much. Afraid of girls still?" She paused. "Don't tell me you didn't look into that satchel I gave you," Celeste said, grinning fiendishly.

Rhys paled. "Satchel?"

Celeste nodded. "The one for your book. I put some other things in I thought you could use."

"I... I only pulled 'The Tales Of Orran' from it..."

"Oh, I advise you to have another look once you're back in your room," Celeste purred, resting her forehead against his shoulder.

"Will do," Rhys whispered. He wriggled against her until he was on his back, with Celeste's head resting on his shoulder. She snuggled up against him, her hand caressing strands of his hair spilling onto his chest.

"Relax," Celeste said after a while. "It's not like I'm trying to devour you."

"I'm trying," Rhys retorted, trying not to sound defensive.

"Let me guess," Celeste murmured. "You've dreamed about something like this and now you're torn between your feelings and the promise we gave Elara."

"Also, I don't want to hurt you," Rhys added. "And..." His voice cracked and he cleared his throat. He caressed along her spine.

"I'm much better, thanks to you." Celeste sighed happily. "I was much too occupied to even think about Faedal's taint. Not that I ever want to think about anything of his ever again."

"You were really mad at Thurguz."

She looked into his eyes. The fear was gone, replaced with soul-wrenching guilt. "Rhys. If I had done something, anything - maybe Dara would still be alive. Maybe everyone would still be alive. It's all my fault. Only because I never even questioned Thurguz' orders!" Her eyes misted over and she clawed at him as the first sobs tore through her body.

"I... I know how you feel," Rhys muttered, close to tears himself. But Celeste wasn't listening, her body wracked by shudders as her grief sought to escape.

"If I had only managed to... get Daffyd to remain calm," she sniffled. "Or... or... maybe told them to move away, seek their fortunes elsewhere." Hot tears spilled onto Rhys' chest. "Maybe it would have all panned out differently!"

A strange feeling of déjà vu crept over him. It's not our fault. Neither mine nor hers. Rhys pulled Celeste up until he could kiss her tears away. She looked at him in shocked surprise. "What...?" she began.

"If there is one person to blame, it is not you. Or me. Not even Dara or Daffyd."

"No? If I...-"

Rhys stopped her with a kiss. "No. The only person to blame, the one it all comes down to, is Faedal. He chose to raze our village. He chose to crucify Dara. True, maybe this wouldn't have happened if Daffyd simply would have kept his mouth shut but no one could know that Faedal would come and destroy the whole village." Rhys gnashed his teeth. "I can't believe I'm saying this but I think Carver wouldn't have done the same."

That even shocked Celeste back to normalcy. "You... are praising Carver?"

Rhys snorted in disgust. "No. I don't know the man. Going by what Thurguz told me, he probably would not have reacted like that. But second-guessing which bad outcome would be less disastrous doesn't bring back the dead." The memory of Desire, dangling Dara's corpse in front of him, caused his voice to falter. Better not tell her about my dream. Not now. Rhys cleared his throat. "The only thing we... I can do is to ask Thurguz to give me another mission. Something which will hurt Carver's operation."

"He's never going to do that. And I wouldn't want that either," Celeste said, hugging him fiercely. "I don't want to lose you too."

"I didn't say I want to challenge Faedal to a one-on-one duel," Rhys said, caressing her hair. "I know my limits. But I also know that with my friends around me, I can do amazing things. There has to be something we can do to make Carver sit up and take notice. Something which will hurt his advances, throw a spanner in his plans."

"You know, I always thought you were the precious flower which needed my protection," Celeste whispered. Her hand caressed along Rhys' spine, over his old scars. "What a difference a month can make."

"I'm nowhere near as good as Idunn or Thurguz," Rhys admitted. "Heck, I think even Lishaka is a better spell-slinger than me."

"The goblin?"

"Yes. She can already cast Teleport. I have to say, I'm a little jealous."

"Don't be. Sorcery is a very individual way of harnessing magic. Look at me. I am horrible when it comes to combat magic. Or any kind, really. I haven't cast as much as a Light spell for the last ten years."

"And still you managed to teleport your way out of Carver's fortress."

"Don't remind me," Celeste sighed. "Anyway, you will find your calling soon enough."

"I hope so. I'm sick and tired of being a burden on my friends."

Celeste smiled gently. "You know, even if your true calling takes time to manifest itself, you already make a fine companion. I'll gladly fight by your side once I'm on my feet again."

"I wouldn't mind a fierce cleric in whimpering distance," Rhys said, grinning.

That remark earned him a slap on his naked behind. "What was that for?" he asked.

"Don't make me laugh, that still hurts," Celeste complained, a weak grin on her lips. "How about we try a little sleep, now that you've stopped being all stiff and knightly? You need to be wide awake when facing the old man tomorrow."

"I have no idea what you are talking about," Rhys said, trying not to blush. Celeste rolled away from him until her back was turned, then scooted backwards until their bodies touched again. Rhys hugged her from behind, not minding that his rod rested against the cleft of her butt. Going by her satisfied sigh, she didn't mind either.

"I've seen you've done this before," Celeste noted. She placed one of his hands on her breast.

Rhys made an acknowledging sound into her hair. "I never knew how easy it is to find willing company until I came here."

"You know, you just had to ask."

"But... I thought you as a cleric..."

Celeste laughed softly. "There is no commandment in Mercy's holy texts forbidding me from sharing my body. In fact, it's more the opposite."

"Next time," he said, breathing a kiss onto her neck. He nearly swallowed his tongue when Celeste's hand slipped between them, under his loincloth.

"You're on, farm boy," she purred, squeezing him. "Good night." As quickly as her hand had come, it was gone again.

"Uh... same to you," Rhys stuttered, blushing furiously. And just like that, I'm back where it all started.

* * * *

There was no dream that night. Or if there had been one, he didn't remember any of it. At least there wasn't another nightmare, Rhys thought, somewhat relieved. He opened his eyes. During the night, they both had moved, with Celeste now hugging him from behind. Her breathing was deep and regular. Still asleep. And she has no problems being naked next to me. Considering what I've already done with Chassari, why do I feel so damn awkward around her? He sighed softly. Because I've always adored her as some kind of replacement mother, that's why I have such a hard time seeing her as a normal woman. It's so much easier to let go when you barely know the others you're having sex with.

A kiss to his neck yanked him from his musings. "Good morning," Celeste whispered.

Rhys turned in her embrace. "Good morning to you too." On the other hand... some things are much easier this way. Much less awkward waking up together, for a start. He hugged her close and breathed a kiss onto her lips. "How do you feel?"

Her eyes gazed into his, wide and full of feeling. "I've missed waking up like this," she sighed.

"We didn't have the pleasure until now," Rhys said.

"I know, silly. I meant 'snuggled next to a warm and caring person.' Usually that was Dara." Celeste rested her head on his shoulder. Rhys held her close and caressed her hair. She watched him through half-closed eyes.

"How about your body? Do you hurt?"

She shook her head. "I have almost forgotten how it is, not feeling any throbbing aches or sharp spikes of pain," she murmured. Her hand reached out and caressed his chest. "I hope you could sleep with me wrapped around you."

"Don't worry about me," Rhys gently squeezed her shoulder. "What's important is that you get back on your feet soon."

"I wouldn't say that I could uproot a tree but I'm much better than yesterday," Celeste assured him. "In fact, I'm ravenous."

"Let's get a maid and breakfast in here," Rhys said, trying to sit up.

Celeste shot him a pleading look. "I didn't say you should jump out of bed right now. I like cuddling with you. A few more minutes won't hurt." She resumed caressing his chest. "Have I ever told you how Dara and I ended up becoming lovers?"

"Not really. I only learned about the two of you the night before I left."

Celeste claimed Rhys' free hand and placed it on her hip. "I wouldn't mind if you caressed me a bit as well," she whispered.

It's not like I'm having sex with her, Rhys thought. A few caresses won't hurt. He cupped her bum cheek and pulled her a bit closer. Goosebumps erupted all over her skin and her nipples hardened against his arm. Celeste's hand wandered lower, her caresses centered around his stomach. "So, why Dara?" he asked.

At first, Celeste said nothing. Her eyes had closed and he saw her mouth working. Emotions tore at her face, grief, joy, guilt. Eventually, a little smile pulled at the edges of her mouth. Celeste blinked a few errant tears away. "Sorry...," she whispered. "It's not easy."

"I damn well know," Rhys said. "You don't have to tell me if it's too painful still. I'm sure we'll be seeing each other quite a bit before you're allowed to leave."

"No, it's fine. Every cleric will tell you that in order to deal with grief, you'll need to articulate your feelings," she said, her mouth twisted in a bitter grin. "I've been doing this long enough." She sighed and rested her head against Rhys' shoulder again. "There were several reasons why Dara and I ended up together. I mean, we were not exactly steady, with her being... you know." She stopped. "But we were the best of friends, the kind of friends who help each other out when the need is great. Like we do right now."

"I'm just holding you tight," Rhys said, squeezing her behind. "You heard Elara yesterday."

"Anyway," Celeste went on, a thoughtful look on her face, "reason number one: 'unwashed farm hand' isn't the type of man I get wet for. Believe me, if your brothers could've had their way, I would have ended up in a very messy five-way."

"I take it that 'bad-tempered soldiers' are not high on your wish list either?"

"Damn right you are. Especially Carver's men. I mean, I was in your village to have an eye on things for Thurguz but I had no intention to use my body as bait. The only difference between the soldiers and your brothers is their equipment."

"Thurguz said Carver mainly recruits scum and teaches them how to swing a sword."

"At least that one thing he has figured out," Celeste snarled. "Yes. Carver's grunts are simple idiots, good at following orders, too stupid to stage a rebellion."

"So, what kind of person tickles your fancy then?" Rhys asked, caressing up her spine. Celeste sighed, pressing her back against his hand.

"Someone I can be comfortable around," Celeste said, her hand caressing Rhys' thigh. "When I came to your village with Mother Ilva, Dara and I became friends the moment I visited the inn for the first time. She made me feel right at home, like a long-lost relative who's been away a few years." Her voice cracked and she gulped a couple times.

"At first, there was nothing sexual between us. In fact, I tried my darndest to lay Daffyd. I mean, those muscles..." Celeste sighed dramatically. "He ran around topless so often when doing things around the inn and I could watch him from the shrine. But you know what?"

"He only saw your holy symbol and backed off?"

"Exactly."

"I know the feeling," Rhys said. "I still can't believe you're in my arms, naked."

Her hand brushed his loincloth, her fingertips almost on his erection. "But it's true," she breathed. "No need to be afraid, I am enjoying this as much as you are."

Rhys closed his fingers around her hand and returned it to his thigh. "So, what happened?"

Celeste stifled a disappointed sigh. "That giant hunk of a man was more afraid of what Mercy could do to him in the afterlife than what he would win when laying with me." She gnashed her teeth. "I tried everything, including 'falling' into the river just so I had an excuse to prance around naked in front of him while Dara wrung out my robes."

"Must have been frustrating as all hell," Rhys said.

"You have no idea. Ironically, that same day, Dara made her first move. Before that, I hadn't even considered being with a woman, despite my education here in the tower. She took me up to her room, pulled out one of her fabled fluffy towels and one thing led to another as she rubbed me off. I hadn't had anyone touch me in almost six months and she knew exactly where to touch, caress and kiss. Before I knew it, I was on her bed and she showed me exactly what her mouth could do to me. Took me a few times before I returned the favor but it didn't take long."

"So, no men while you were in our village?"

"A few interesting ones came through. Some of them she took, others she guided my way and others we shared. When you left, we vowed you'd be the next we'd share, once your apprenticeship was over."

"I'm flattered you think so highly of me," Rhys muttered.

Celeste sank onto her back and guided Rhys' hand over her stomach and the light fuzz covering her pelvis, until his fingertips brushed her hot, moist lips. "As you can see, I'm very comfortable around you," she whispered. Her free hand slithered under his loincloth, dispensing with any subtlety. He inhaled sharply as her fingers closed around his rod, slowly stroking its full length. "And you seem to be fine with what I'm doing too. Tell me, have you fantasized about the two of us making love to each other? Caressing," her hand guided his over her sex and he could feel how wet she was already, "licking..."

Rhys wondered if he should withdraw his hand. It was obvious what Celeste had in mind and he was torn between reason and his own flaring lust. He leaned over her and kissed Celeste, opting for a compromise. He let his hand rest where it was and tried to keep the conversation going, even while she stroked him. She slowly rolled her crotch into his palm, seeking contact with his knuckles.

"How could I not think about you and Dara? You were among the most prominent women in my life," he whispered haltingly. "But my fantasies were... limited. Before I came here, my sex education consisted of that one night with Dara and seeing some village girls and my sisters naked." His voice faltered as Celeste brought her second hand in, cupping his balls. "I mainly thought about the two of you naked in bed. I had no idea what women did to each other."

"No need to stop caressing me," Celeste sighed. She fixed him with an urgent stare. "Please, Rhys... your fingers..."

"We shouldn't," Rhys began, about to pull back his hand. "I don't want to hurt you."

Celeste chuckled. "Oh Rhys. Does this look like I'm hurting?" She turned to face him, shrugging off the cover while doing so. The duvet rustled to the floor and pooled in a pile of white fabric. She resumed stroking him with one hand. "As long as you keep this...," a squeeze of his cock, "away from here," she ground her pussy against his fingers, "we'll be fine. More than that." Her breath was quick and ragged, her eyes burned with an intensity Rhys had only seen once, just before Elara had gone crazy on his back. She's trying to purge the memories of Faedal violating her. I think I can help with that.

Rhys clasped her hands, stopping her from stroking him. "I have an idea," he said when she opened her mouth to protest. "You will like it, I promise." He shifted his body, ending up with his head near her crotch and his feet near the headrest. Celeste gasped as his lips brushed the inside of her thigh. Her hands quickly reclaimed his pole and balls, resuming their stroking.

"You don't have to do anything," Rhys said. "Just relax and let me help you." He gently licked along her moist labia, causing any retort Celeste might have had to turn into a groan. She tasted rather musky, completely different from either Elara or Chassari. At least there's no blood, Rhys thought, circling her clit with the tip of his tongue. Celeste squealed in surprise, nearly squashing his skull with her legs. Rhys didn't let up, gently lapping at her sex. Celeste's fingers dug into his hair, keeping his head in place as she ground against his mouth, urging him on. He cupped her butt cheeks with both hands and tried his best to keep her wildly gyrating hips in check. Suddenly, his rod was engulfed by a pair of lips and the hand stroking him picked up speed. Celeste's noises became muffled as her tongue slithered around his tip.