Murder to Go

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

At one point, someone entered the room and spoke in a quiet voice to one of the officers questioning me. As soon as he left, the officer began questioning me intensely about knowing the axe and hoodie was under the tree.

I again stonewalled, stating over and over I hadn't known the axe was under a tree... only that I guessed the murder weapon would be hidden in the woods near his house, using the same logic I'd used to convince Eric to help me. They focused extensively on how I knew about the tree and hoodie, but I shrugged it off. I was just a city girl, and isn't that where people hid evidence in movies all the time? I referred back to my conversation with Eric, when I told him I had no idea where the weapon was located. If I had, why hadn't I taken Eric to it myself? As for the hoodie, I reasoned he must have worn something to prevent blood from splattering on him, and a hoodie seemed like the best thing to use because it covered most of the upper body, including the head, and could be quickly removed.

I'd been extremely careful to be as vague as possible and made sure to not tell them something I shouldn't know. Whenever I felt like I was getting close to being backed into a corner, I simply pulled out Terri's name again and claimed she'd mentioned it to me when I was talking to Ken's lawyer. Everyone in the diner had seen her talking to me, and the police seemed to accept the answer... or at least as much as they accepted the rest of what I'd said.

When they couldn't crack my shell, they'd given up and let me go. Ken was going to have to spend another couple of days in the pokey, but once the lab results came back, I was confident he'd be cleared. After all, I'd seen it happen and knew he was innocent.

"Ms. Wicker!" a voice called. I stopped and turned back to the police station. Officer Muratet was trotting down the three steps toward me. "I wanted to tell you that Greg Riis just confessed to killing his sister. It was all over the trust money." Peter shook his head. "I can't believe he killed his own sister over six million dollars, her half of the trust. Twelve million is a lot of money, but now he'll never be able to spend it."

I smiled and let out a long sigh. "That's good... I guess. Since he confessed, how long until Ken will be released?"

"The chief is going to make the call now. Give it a couple of hours for the wheels to turn, but he should be out in time for a late dinner."

"Okay, thanks for telling me." I started to turn away. I was going to be there when Ken was released. He'd need a ride, at least back to Gardner, to get his car.

"Ms. Wicker..." I stopped and turned back. "Thank you," Officer Muratet said softly. "We almost convicted an innocent man."

I tried, but I couldn't resist. "I know. I tried to tell you."

I saw that the words stung. "I know. How'd you know? That song and dance you were doing about piecing it all together from a few words here and there, that was utter bullshit, and we both know it. Even if Sherlock Holms were real, he wasn't that good. So, how'd you know?"

"I told you."

He pursed his lips. "Strictly off the record. How'd you know?"

"Strictly off the record?"

"You have my word."

I smiled. Why not? "I'm a witch," I said before I wiggled my fingers beside my head while making ghost noises.

He sucked on his teeth for a moment. He clearly didn't like my answer, and I knew it, but what could I do? I'd told him the truth.

"Well, however you did it, thank you. I sincerely mean that. I was so sure it was your boyfriend, and to find out now I was wrong from the beginning... that's a bitter pill to swallow."

I wanted to rub it in... oh how I wanted to rub it in... but I decided to be gracious in my victory. "I'm just glad the truth came out... and he's not my boyfriend," I corrected for what felt like the fiftieth time.

He nodded and offered me a small smile as he held his hand out. "Can I get your number in case we have another murder?"

I took his hand. "I think it's on the paperwork I had to fill out. Give me a call."

His smile widened a bit. "Okay. And Ms. Wicker... Camille... I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't listen to you when you first came to me. You were right all along, and I should have been more open to your concerns." He looked away to stare into the distance for a moment before his gaze returned to mine. "This is something I'm going to remember... and I'll do better in the future."

My anger and annoyance faded. I could tell his apology was sincere, and that made all the difference in the world. "Apology accepted, Officer Muratet."

"Call me Pete."

"Okay, Pete."

"If there's anything I can ever do for you..."

"I have the Gardner PD number on my phone."

A faint smile played over his lips. "We're in your debt."

"I could use a favor."

"Name it."

"Is there any place around here, other than the Star Bright Inn, where I can spend the night? By the time Ken gets released and I get him back here to get his car, it's going to be too late to start for home."

He frowned slightly. "What's wrong with the Star?"

"I don't think I'm welcome there anymore."

He brightened. "Oh, yeah, that thing with Eric. Let me handle it. In fact, I'll try to have the city pick up your tab tonight, and reimburse you for the other two nights. Seems like it's the least we can do." He smiled broadly. "Maybe the chief can charge it to the city as you being a consulting detective."

I snickered. "Okay, sure, thanks."

-oOo-

"Thank God! I knew I could count on you!" Ken gasped as he walked out of the Houghton County jail a free man.

The sun was nestling into the tops of the trees as I led him to my truck. I glanced at him, slightly worried. He looked worse than I'd ever seen him. He was normally so... together. All the years I'd known him, he was always neatly dressed and groomed. Today, his hair was greasy and unkempt, his cheeks sported at least a day-old beard, and his clothes were rumpled. Worse, he looked exhausted, his face seemed hollowed, and he was missing his normal glow of health.

I nodded in agreement as I handed him my phone. "Call your parents and tell them the good news."

"Didn't you call them?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Because... I wanted that to come from you... and because I kind of broke my word to your mom."

"How?" he asked as we paused at my truck.

"She told me to stay out of it... and I told her I would."

"Why would she say that?"

"They'd hired you a lawyer, and I guess she thought I'd make things worse or something."

"They hired me a lawyer? When?"

"He was supposed to be here yesterday. Haven't you seen him... or her?"

"No! I was stuck in there not knowing what was going on!"

"Oh..."

"Well... thank God you didn't listen to her! You got me sprung from jail, so as far as I'm concerned, you can do no wrong."

"Thanks," I said softly as my face heated.

As I drove us back to Gardner, Ken talked to his mother, filling her in on all the details, and I smiled as he gushed over me, insisting that I'd saved him. Ken was going to have a story few could top. We were almost to Gardner by the time he hung up.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah. They are not very happy with Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe, or whoever they hired, that their lawyer hasn't spoken to me yet."

"They're not mad at me for lying to them, are they?"

"Are you kidding?" he exclaimed with a grin. "They want to adopt you."

I sigh softly. "Your car is at the police station. They said they were waving the impound fees."

He grunted. "I should hope so. What about my clothes and stuff?"

"My understanding is the items they took from you during your arrest are here and will be returned to you. The rest of your stuff is still at Melina's. Officer Muratet is going to take you there so you can get your stuff." Ken grunted again. "Don't be too hard on him. I really do think he feels bad about what happened."

"He should."

"Yes, he should, but be a gracious winner."

He nodded. "I just want to get out of here and have a real shower, dress in some real clothes, eat some real food, and sleep in a real bed."

"We have two free rooms at the Star Bright Inn. You want to stay there tonight, or start for home? It's a hard seven-hour drive. No matter what, we're going to have to stop."

He sighed. "I guess the Star is okay. Can't beat the price. Just drop me at the station, I'll get my car and stuff, and meet you there, okay?"

"Okay."

We rode in silence the rest of the way to the Gardner Police Department station. I pulled to a stop in the parking lot, but Ken didn't open his door. He looked at me for a long time.

"How do you do it?" he asked softly. "That's twice you've somehow discovered the truth when nobody else could." I shrugged. "Come on. I'd really like to know."

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you."

I could see his confusion. "Try me."

I watched his eyes for a long moment. "I have a gift. I get visions."

He looked at me for a long moment. "You're serious?"

"Yes. You can't tell anyone, okay? I don't want to end up in an underground room with white concrete walls somewhere."

"You have my word... but it's hard to believe."

"Maybe, but it's true."

"So how does it work? Do you have a dream... enter a trance... or what?"

"I don't know. They just happen. I can't control them, and I can't control what I see. They're kind of like a dream, but they're more than that."

"How do you mean?"

"Do you remember when you were playing huggy-bear, smoochie-face with Melina in your room after your fight over Eric, how the porcelain roses tinkled? Do you remember that? You said it was a ghost. That was me. I bumped into them."

He looked at me as he flushed. "How much did you see?"

"Nothing embarrassing. Do you remember the roses?"

"I remember us making up, but I don't remember saying anything about ghosts."

"How about when you were leaving for pizza? You had an itch on your arm and you thought you heard something."

He slowly shook his head. "I can't remember every itch I get."

"It's the truth!"

He smiled at me. "Okay... you're clairvoyant. That makes as much sense as anything else I guess."

I frowned at him. He wanted the truth, and I'd told him, but I could tell he was humoring me.

"How do you think I knew about the making up, or the roses in the room?"

"I told you we had a fight, remember?" he replied. "There are roses in the room?"

I rolled my eyes. "You're right. Never mind."

He leaned over, placed his hand behind my head, and pulled me to him. I had a moment of panic, thinking he was going to kiss me. He did, but it was on my forehead. "It doesn't matter. Clairvoyant or not, you saved my life, and I'll never forget it. Thank you, thank you so much. I'll forever be in your debt. If you ever need anything, anything, just ask, okay?"

I smiled as he released me, pleased by his words and relieved the moment hadn't gotten incredibly awkward. "Okay. And you. I hope I don't have to do this again, but if you ever need anything, give me a call."

He smiled. "I hope not either."

"What are you going to do now?"

"You mean after I get my stuff?"

"Yeah."

"Go home. After that? Who knows. I need some time. Melina was the first girl... woman... I was starting to care for since you. I think maybe I'll spend the rest of the summer just kicking around, trying to get my head straight, before I return to school. Why?"

"I'm worried about you, that's all."

He gave me a slightly sad smile. "I'll be okay... so long as I don't get accused of murder again, that is."

"Yeah. I'd like to see you avoid that myself."

He nodded as he opened the truck door. "See you at the Star," he said as he slid out. "I'll call you if I have problems getting my car or anything," he added before he closed the door.

I sat, watching him as he walked toward the entrance to the station. He seemed so down, like all the energy had drained out of him. I could understand that, but I hoped he'd returned to the old, happy-go-lucky Ken everyone knew and loved.

I pulled out of the parking lot and drove through town. I didn't know how I felt about staying at the Star, as the locals apparently called it, but it was the only game in town. If we left right this moment, we wouldn't arrive in Pokagon until almost one in the morning. I couldn't do that drive, not after today, and I didn't think Ken could either.

I pulled to a stop in the parking lot of the Star Bright Inn, dreading facing Mrs. Salada, but unless I wanted to drive at least an hour after Ken recovered his belongings, I didn't have any choice. Who knew how long it'd take for him to get his car and be escorted to the Riis property to collect his stuff?

I opened the door to the office. Terri looked up and then grinned at me sheepishly. "Can I get a couple of rooms?" I asked, not wanting to engage in idle chit-chat.

"Claude called me. It's all arranged." She paused, but then continued. "I guess I owe you an apology for the way I treated you."

"Rather than apologize to me, will you apologize to Ken for all the things you've said?"

She grimaced. She may not have said them in front of him, but as far as I was concerned, she was guilty of spreading rumors at the very least. I didn't like busy-body gossips, and I hoped Terri had learned her lesson, but probably not.

"I suppose I should."

"Then I accept your apology."

Terri's smile seemed slightly embarrassed. "Thank you." I nodded, tired of this conversation already. "I heard how Greg confessed. How'd you know?" she asked as she placed two keys on the counter.

"It's a gift," I said and then smiled tightly, the inoffensive and insincere smile I gave troublesome customers. I slid the two keys off the counter. "Thank you for the rooms."

"Sleep as late as you need to in the morning," she said as I turned to the door.

"Thanks," I replied as I stepped outside.

I looked at the two keys. They were rooms one and eleven. Terri had spaced us out as far as possible, the rooms on opposite sides and ends of the motel. I couldn't stop my smile as I shook my head in humorous disbelief. Somethings would probably never change.

.

.

.

FOURTEEN

I followed Ken in his Accord south on highway 131. We were almost home, and I was glad about it. I'd called Hunter when we'd stopped for gas in Kalkaska, my F-150 much thirstier than Ken's Honda. Hunter was expecting me, and I was looking forward to having his strong arms around me and holding me tight. I hadn't given him all the details of what'd happened, but he knew Ken was coming home with me.

When we reached Pokagon, we separated and went our separate ways. Ken still had his haunted look this morning. I didn't know if his slightly haggard appearance was from what happened to him, or Melina's death, or both, but I'd check in on him in a couple of days to make sure he was recovering.

As much as I was looking forward to seeing Hunter, I first needed to check on Coffee w/ Cream and let Keiko and my aunts know I was back. There were a couple of cars occupying the spaces in front of the store, so I pulled into the parking lot.

Mandy looked up as I entered. "You're back!" she cried. I felt a momentary rush of fear, but the shop seemed in order and two families were sitting at tables casually eating their ice cream.

"Yeah. I just got back. What's wrong?"

She looked at me, her confusion clear. "Nothing. Why do you ask?"

I relaxed even more. "You seemed... I don't know... glad to see me."

She burst into a broad smile. "Why wouldn't I? I think the entire town has been in here for ice cream or coffee today... everyone wanting to know what was going on with you and Ken."

"What?"

"Yeah. Apparently the Mazerins have been telling anyone who would listen that you saved Ken's life."

"You're kidding!"

Her smile spread even more. "Nope. You should put a big sign out front... you know... something like Camille Wicker, wonder sleuth, works here... or something like that."

I flushed. "Oh... cut it out. It wasn't that big of a deal. He'd have done the same for me."

"Not that big of a deal? Did you or did you not convince the police that Ken wasn't a murderer and that the brother was?"

I glanced around. Everyone was looking at me. "Yeah... kind of," I muttered. "Listen, I have a lot to do before morning, so I'm going to go... unless you need me to stay."

"No... I've got it. Go get some rest. It sounds like you deserve it."

"Thanks," I said as I began backing toward the door, anxious to get away from the stares.

As I walked to my truck, I considered Mandy's words. Aunts Elizabeth and Victoria had told me they, and all the gifted, kept their gifts secret. Aunt Liz could use her gifts because there was no manifestation of her doing so, but she certainly didn't advertise her ability. I hadn't either, but apparently I was gaining some slight notability for my feats of criminal deduction.

I flopped into my truck. I thought about calling Keiko, but decided that could wait until morning. I wanted, I desperately wanted to see Hunter, but I needed to talk to my aunts. I dialed.

"Cam? Is everything okay?" Victoria asked.

"Everything's fine. I'm back. Have you got a few minutes to talk? I need some advice."

"About your... episodes?"

"Yes."

"Have you had more of them?"

"Yes. Several."

"You want us to come there?"

"Do you mind meeting me at home?"

"Not at all. We're leaving now."

-oOo-

I opened the door. Aunt Elizabeth stepped in and immediately pulled me into a hug. I grunted as she tried to squeeze the breath out of me.

"We were so worried about you," she said as she stepped out of the way to give Victoria a chance to hug me.

"We're so proud of you," Aunt Vicki said as she pulled me into a hug.

"Proud? Why?" I asked as Vicki slowly relaxed her embrace.

"That was a good thing you did for Ken... and Cathy."

"I had to," I said softly.

"I know, Kiddo. That's why we're proud of you."

I guided them to my small living room. "I need some advice."

"About your gift?" Victoria asked, her face crumbling with concern.

"Yes."

Liz and Vicki looked at each other, their obvious concern deepening. "Has something happened?"

"No, not really. The problem is I can't control it. It comes in flashes, when it wants to. It happened once when I was driving, and it scared the crap out of me."

"Did... anything happen?" Liz asked.

"While I was driving?" She nodded. "No. While it seems to me like the visions last a long time, it also seems like they actually last almost no time at all."

"I don't understand," Vicki said.

"I know. For example, I watched Melina, the woman Ken was accused of murdering, arguing with someone. I felt like I watched them at least two or three minutes, but when I came back, no more than a second could've passed."

"I don't know what to say," Liz said. "This is far beyond anything I can explain or understand."

My lips pulled down in a frown. "I can see, and hear, and smell... and even interact with the people and environment to some degree, but what good is it if I can't do anything... or control it?"

My aunts looked at each other again. "What do you mean?" Vicki asked.

"In one of the visions, I saw Ken leaving Melina's house just before she was murdered. I tried to warn him. I swear, he could hear me... or he thought he heard me. I'm not sure, but he stopped and turned around when I called his name."

My aunts looked at each other again. I wasn't sure, but they looked slightly paler, and their eyes appeared to be opened wide in surprise. "Anything else?" Liz asked softly.

"I bumped into some flowers in a room, and I think I made them move, and I tried to grab Ken, to make him stop before he left Melina alone. He scratched his arm where I touched him."

1...67891011