Murder to Go

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Is there something you can do to help?"

"Where's Gardner?"

"It's in the U.P."

He snorted. "That's a little out of my jurisdiction."

"Can you do whatever it is you do, and find out what's going on?"

Hunter sighed. "If it's the locals that arrested him, there isn't going to be a lot for me to find out unless I make a formal inquiry. I kind of need a reason before I can do that."

"Just do what you can, okay? Please?"

He paused. "I'll see what I can do... but Cam, they don't arrest people on a guess. You should know that. There has to be something tying him to the murder."

"Then they've made a mistake. They had to have. Stop by the shop and let me know what you find. Even if you don't find anything, maybe you can give me some advice on what to do next."

"I already did. Leave it alone."

"I can't do that."

I heard him sigh again. I'd gotten the same advice when Mom was killed. Leave it alone, everyone had said. It was the grief talking. It was an accident like the police said... but it wasn't, and I'd discovered who the killer was myself. Granted, I'd seen the murder happen right in front of me... sort of... but if Hunter hadn't stuck his neck out for me, Mom's murderer would still be walking around free.

A chill washed over me with a new thought. What if the vision I'd had last night was of Ken killing that poor woman? No! my mind rebelled. Ken wouldn't do that!

"Okay. I'll see you after lunch."

I smiled. "I'll give you a coffee or a cone on the house."

Hunter chuckled. "I can think of something else I'd rather have against my lips."

"Maybe you'll get that too."

"Then wild horses won't keep me away. Let me see what I can dig up."

"Thanks, Hunter. I owe you one."

"I intend to collect."

My smile spread. If the situation wasn't so dire, and the shop wasn't busy, I might be willing to take him into the prep room and settle up immediately. "I'm sure you will."

I hung up with Hunter and then called Keiko.

"Hey, Girlfriend!" Keiko said in way of greeting.

"I need a huge, huge, favor."

"Okay, if I can."

"Can you cover Cathy's while I'm gone?" There was a pause while I mentally crossed my fingers and chewed on my lower lip, trying to will Keiko into saying yes.

"Gone? Where are you going?"

"Ken called me last night. He's in trouble. He's in Gardner and he said he's been charged with murder."

"Murder!" Keiko cried. "You can't be serious! Ken? He wouldn't hurt a fly!"

"I know. I don't understand it either, but that's what he said."

"He's playing a prank on you. He's got to be."

I shook my head. "If he is, it's an elaborate one. He called me from the police station in Gardner."

"Where's Gardner?"

"It's in the U.P."

"The U.P? The Upper Peninsula? What's he doing up there?"

"I don't know. That's what I'm trying to find out. Can you do it?" I gripped the phone tighter. I didn't have time for twenty questions!

"Are you going up there?"

"Yes, if you can keep an eye on the contractors."

"I should go with you. Can't your aunts handle it? They're part owners after all."

Keiko and Ken had been friends almost as long as Ken and I had. I hadn't asked Keiko, but I think she wanted more from Ken than his friendship, and suspected she was hoping to see him as more than a friend this summer. She'd been regularly quizzing me for news of his whereabouts, but I'd known no more than she did... until now.

"Uh... I haven't asked them yet."

"What? Why not?"

"Because this is all happening so fast. I'm going to call them, but I wanted to talk to you first because your closer to the work than they are."

"Don't you think you'll need me?"

"I do need you. I need you to keep Cathy's moving for me."

"But your aunts--"

"I'm sure they'll help as much as possible, but they have their hands full running the resort."

She sighed. "Yeah, okay. I still think I'd be more use to you in Gardner."

"If I get up there and need you, I'll call, okay?"

"Okay. You'll call? Promise?"

I smiled to myself. I'd won this one, something that didn't happen often, but I could tell she wasn't happy about staying behind. "I promise. I'm sorry to have to ask."

"Yeah, okay, I'll do it. I can't have my bestie having to do everything herself."

"Thanks, Keiko. You don't know how much I appreciate this. I'll make it up to you, somehow."

"Help Ken. That'll be thanks enough."

I hung up with Keiko and called Ken's mother, the only number I had for his family. She answered immediately. "Cam, now's not a good time."

"I know," I said quickly. "You know about Ken?"

"Yes," she said, her voice tight.

"He called me last night when he couldn't reach you."

"We were already asleep and didn't hear the phones."

"What did he tell you?" I asked.

"Nothing... only that he'd been arrested and needed help." She paused a moment. "We found out this morning why. We're trying to arrange a lawyer."

"Okay," I said softly. "I wanted to make sure you knew."

"He didn't do it, Cam."

"I know that. I've asked a police officer I know to try to find out what's going on. If I find out anything, I'll let you know."

"Thank you," the woman whispered. "Thank you so much."

"Are you going up there?"

"I don't know. Maybe. We've never had to deal with anything like this before."

"I know it's hard, but hang in there. He didn't do it, so it's going to be okay."

She sighed. "I guess you'd know, wouldn't you?"

"Yes, so trust me. The police will realize they've made a mistake... just like they did with Mom."

"Thank you for saying that. Do you actually believe the police will realize they've made a mistake and let him go?"

"I do."

"I hope you're right."

"I am. I'll call you as soon as I know something."

"Thank you," the woman whispered again before she ended the call.

I let out a huge sigh, feeling for Mrs. Mazerin. I dialed my phone a third time. I listened as the phone rang. This is Vicki. Leave a message-- I ended the call and dialed Aunt Liz.

"Good morning."

"Morning. I need to talk to you and Aunt Vicki. Can you break away for a few minutes so I can come see you?"

"Sure. What time?"

"Now?"

"Sure. See you when you get here."

"I'm leaving now. Thanks," I said as I began untying my apron with my free hand.

I tossed the apron into the laundry for washing as I returned to the front of the store. There were only a couple of cars at the drive-thru, and only one person waiting at the counter. "Something's come up," I said. "Janet will be in at ten, and she can handle it by herself until I get back."

"Yes, ma'am," Sam said. "We've got it covered."

"Thanks," I replied, never slowing as I walked to the door.

-oOo-

I pulled to a stop in the Tramree Resort parking lot in the nearest space to the lodge I could find. I hopped out of my F-150 and hurried to my meeting. Pushing the door open, I entered the lobby. Tramree Resort was a well-respected summer vacation destination on the shore of Lake Pokagon. The lodge proper was constructed from logs and stone by my some number of great grand someone or other, and was amazingly beautiful inside.

"They're expecting you," the receptionist said as I entered. "I saw you drive up, and they're waiting for you in the conference room," he said with a nod at the door marked Private.

"Thanks," I said as I crossed the lobby without slowing.

The resort had four large conference rooms for guests, but there was a fifth, smaller room, used by the staff that was tucked away in the working portion of the lodge. I entered the door and quickly walked down the hall, past the two large offices that belonged to my aunts, and then past more offices on each side occupied by staff busily working away on the computer or talking on the phone. The door at the end of the hall was open and I entered. I slowly closed the door behind me.

"What's up?" Aunt Elizabeth asked as we hugged.

"I had another vision," I replied as I returned Aunt Victoria's hug.

They motioned to one of the ten chairs around the conference table, and I settled. They sat next to each other across from me. "When?" Liz asked.

"Late last night, while I was at the shop."

"What did you see?" Vicki asked.

"A dead woman in an old house." I paused, but before they could speak, I continued. "I mean, the house looked like it was old, not that it was run down or anything like that."

"Is that all? Do you know when this was?" Vicki continued.

"Last night, in the shop, just before midnight. It was daylight in my vision, if that helps."

"No, I mean, in the vision, do you think it was the past, the present, or the future?"

"Oh..." I grunted. "Either the present or the near future, I'd guess."

"Why do you say that?" Liz asked.

"Because the woman had a cell phone."

"Ah... okay," Vicki said. "Did you know the woman?"

"No, I don't think so, but I couldn't see her face."

My aunts looked at each other. "So it could have been anyone, anywhere?" Aunt Elizabeth asked.

"There's more," I said. "Do you remember Ken Mazerin?"

"The boy you dated?" Aunt Victoria asked.

"Yes. He's in trouble. Bad trouble, and he asked for my help."

"What kind of trouble?" Liz asked.

"He's been arrested for murder," I replied softly.

"Murder!" Liz gasped. "He seemed like such a nice boy!"

My lips thinned in annoyance. "He's innocent. I'm sure of it."

"How?" Vicki asked.

"Because I know Ken, and he wouldn't kill anyone."

"Do you think your vision was of the murder?" Liz asked.

"I don't know. Maybe. How would I know? I'm kind of new to this, remember?"

"Why did Ken call you and not a lawyer, or his parents?" Aunt Liz continued.

"He did call his parents, but they didn't answer."

"Do they know?" Vicki asked.

"Yes."

Aunt Vicki sighed. "I think we have to assume she has a gift."

Aunt Liz nodded in agreement. "Yeah. That seems to be where the evidence is pointing." She looked at me. "Have you told anyone else?"

"No."

"Not even Keiko?" she pressed.

"No."

"Good girl," Vicki murmured.

"I have a favor to ask, though."

"What?" Liz asked.

"Can you help Keiko with Cathy's if she needs it?"

"Help her... how?" Liz asked.

"I'm driving up to Gardner to see if I can help Ken."

"Why are you doing that?" Vicki asked. "I know he's your friend, but--"

"That's why I have to go. He asked for my help."

"You're not a lawyer. What do you think you can do to help?"

"I don't know, but I have to go. Can you help Keiko if she needs it?"

The two women looked at each other before they returned their attention to me. "Yes," Vicki said, "but I don't understand what you think you can do. Where did you say he was?"

"Gardner, Michigan."

"Gardner? Where's that?" Elizabeth asked.

"It's on the northern tip of the U.P., almost on Lake Superior."

"What's he doing way up there?" Victoria asked.

"I have no idea. One of the things I want to find out." I watched as Aunt Elizabeth chewed her bottom lip. "What?"

"Nothing. I'm just worried, that's all. You've had no training to control your gift."

"So?"

"So, this is a dangerous time for you," Vicki said. "Until you can learn to control your gift, you can be a danger to yourself and others."

"From visions?" I frowned. "How?"

"What if you have one while driving? The last time you said the vision world was mixed with the real world, right? Has that changed?" Vicki asked.

"Yes... but it's worse now."

"How?" Aunt Liz asked.

"It felt more real. I can't describe it, but with Mom it was like I was watching it happen. This time, it was like I was there."

Vicki leaned forward, as if eager for the answer. "So it was more than just seeing? Could you move around?"

"I don't know. I didn't try. All I can tell you is that it felt like I was there... more so than when I saw Mom." My aunts again looked at each other. "What?" I asked. Why can't they just tell me what I needed to know?

"Nothing. Don't worry about it," Victoria said.

"Oh, no! No more secrets! What?"

They were quiet a moment before Liz spoke. "There's no... proof I guess you could say... but it's generally accepted that later the onset of the gift, the more powerful the gift is. Twenty? You may have an incredibly powerful gift. Who knows what you might be able to do with it."

"All I do is see things... and now smell."

Both their eyes opened wider.

"What now?" I asked. It was obvious that the news of my ability to smell in the visions had come as a surprise to them, but I didn't know why.

"Do you suppose?" Elizabeth murmured softly.

"What?" I demanded.

Aunt Vicki looked at me. "You need to be very, very, careful, Camille. It would be better if you stayed here."

"I can't stay here! Ken needs help! What aren't you telling me?" I demanded. They knew how long Ken and I had been friends. How could they suggest I not go after he asked, no, begged, for my help?

Vicki rose, circled the table, and then sat down beside me. "There is a gift, a gift that has been lost for so long that many think it was only a legend. Legend says that once, more than eight hundred years ago, there was a gifted so powerful that he could move through time. Because we haven't seen this gift in almost a thousand years, we don't know the extent of the power. Remember when we told you that seeing the future or past is a very rare gift. Usually, those that have future or past sight only see bits and pieces, fleeting images, but you said you see fully realized, life-like images, like you're there, right?"

"Yes," I said slowly. I suddenly felt like I was staring into the eyes of an animal that might eat me, and any sudden movement could cause it to attack.

"And now, you said you can smell things too?" Victoria continued.

"Yes, but yesterday was the first time." I didn't understand why being able to smell in the visions was any different than the seeing part. See, smell, hear, it was all the same thing, right?

"Please don't go, Cam," Elizabeth murmured. "You need training to learn to control your gift. More training that we can give you. The gift you have, if it's what we're thinking it is, has incredible power. Legendary power. Power many of us thought was a myth."

Victoria nodded. "You could have the most powerful gift... ever. That's why you should stay here, where we can keep an eye on you and try to help you if we can."

I shook my head, my nerves as on edge as if I were staring into the eyes of a lion. "I have to go. If I saw the murder, maybe I can help prove Ken's innocence."

My aunts looked at each other again. "We can't talk you out of this?" Liz asked.

"No."

Vicki nodded with a sigh. "Just be careful. If it feels wrong, it is. Don't do it, and don't let the gift pull you in. Don't try to use your power, and most importantly, come back to us as soon as you can."

"You're scaring me," I murmured.

"Good," Aunt Vicki said, her voice firm. "Being afraid of your gift until you can control it may very well save your life."

.

.

.

THREE

I paced behind the counter. It was almost one and Hunter hadn't shown up yet. I needed to go! I wanted to get on the road to Gardner but I couldn't leave until I found out what he knew and said goodbye to him. What was taking him so long? Was he having trouble finding information? Or maybe he was worried over how to tell me what he'd found? I pushed the thought away. That was ridiculous. There was nothing for him to find that would upset me. I growled softly and began to pace again as Janet silently watched. Normally I'd have gone home by now to handle the thousand little things involved in running WRG, such as ordering, bookkeeping, permitting, or answering contractor questions. If a customer or two would show up, at least I'd have a distraction.

Hunter's unmarked police car crept to a stop at the curb. A small smile tugged at my lips as I remembered him stopping in for a coffee and to talk to me nearly every day as I was dealing, or more accurately, not dealing with Mom's death. I hovered just inside the door, waiting for him. Detective Hunter Avery was the only detective on the Pokagon police department, and he'd been the one to arrest Figgette after he inadvertently admitted to manhandling Mom.

Not only was he one of the sweetest guys I knew, but he was downright swoon-worthy with his dark hair and eyes, chiseled jaw, and quick smile. The fact that he had the kind of body that left girls weak in the knees didn't hurt him either. The only flaw, if someone could call it that, was the long, jagged and puckered scar on his left leg, the lingering reminder of what he'd been through.

He smiled as he sauntered in. Despite the stress, my smile spread as I melted into his arms for a quick kiss. Everyone who knew me knew we were dating, so I saw no reason not to kiss him.

"What did you find out?" I asked as I stepped out of his arms.

He shook his head, his lips twisting to the side. "Not a lot. It's a local matter, so there wasn't a lot of information in the state-wide database. All I know is they picked him up yesterday evening and charged him with first-degree murder, but you already knew that."

"No!" I barked. "No way! It's hard enough to believe he killed someone by accident, or in a fit of rage, but to have planned to kill someone? There's no way... no way... he did that!"

"I'm just telling you what they've charged him with. Someone name Melina Riis."

"Whos' that?"

"It doesn't say specifically, but it was a known acquaintance. Girlfriend, maybe?"

"His girlfriend?" I cried. The more I heard, the less sense it all made. When I'd dated Ken, he was totally laid back and easy going, and had displayed absolutely nothing that would cause me to think he'd harm me in any way. The police had to be mistaken.

Hunter shrugged. "I don't know that, but it would make sense. People rarely murder strangers."

I shook my head as my lips thinned in anger and annoyance that the Gardner police could be so incompetent. "What should I do?"

He took me in his hands and slowly brushed down my arms. It was a very caring gesture, and I felt a hitch in my breathing with his support. He was such a sweet guy. "Nothing. Stay out of it. Let the police handle it."

"Like with Mom?" He flinched and I immediately felt guilty. It wasn't his fault Mom was killed, and I had to admit, he'd never belittled my insistence Mom hadn't died in an accident, despite the lack of evidence to the contrary. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that, and I'm not blaming you."

"Yes, well, you do have a point, but they made an arrest. As you well know, the police won't arrest people based on hearsay or hunches. There has to be something tying him to the crime."

I looked down. "I know. But it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. What if something like that is happening to Ken?"

"Cam," he said softly, "I know we kind of dropped the ball with your mom, but that doesn't happen often. Most officers are good men trying to do the best job they can. If they arrested Ken, they had a reason. I don't know him that well, certainly not as well as you do, but you need to be prepared for the fact he may have done it."

I shook my head as he spoke. "No! I can't accept that! Ken wouldn't kill anyone, and he certainly wouldn't plot to murder someone, and he most especially wouldn't do that to someone he cared about. I'm telling you, he's not like that! Something is going on! Help me!"

He pulled me into his chest and held me, steering my head to his shoulder with his hand. "I would if I could. You know that," he said, his voice gentle. "If I drive up there with you and start snooping around, that's not going to do anything except tick off the local police. Imagine if a stranger came in here and started telling you how to run your shop. That doesn't do Ken any good, and if they file a complaint with my captain, I could be relieved of duty. Then I certainly won't be able to help."