My Friend/His Sister Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I'd be honoured mate," said Steve holding out his hand which Kev took, while Holly and I cooed over our chosen men being so amazing with each other.

"Dress then hun," said Holly. She looked at me, "CHIEF bridesmaid?"

"Of course," I said, with narrowed eyes, "I insist on a professional..."

We were starting to Google for the kind of dress I wanted, when Steve pointed out to his wife and my chief bridesmaid that it was almost ten o'clock and we ALL had work in the morning.

The next morning, I was at school and my teeny-tinies enjoying some more freedom and mixing in the big playground with the rest of the infants. I called Sophie with her mug of coffee so we could walk the playground.

"Where's your phone," I said, as we circled to watch the infants running around and burning off some energy. She reached into her jacket pocket and pulled it out, "have a bit of a 'save the date' for you hun." I said, keeping my eye on my tiny charges.

"You've set the date!" she hissed, adding just enough noticeable excitement.

"Yep, and you are playing a starring role Miss Reynolds, 'hot bridesmaid in a sexy dress'." I told her date and she grinned.

"That soon!?" she hissed.

"Yeah, sort of came to me last night, with the active support of my Mum and sister-in-law."

"In the diary Babes," she said quietly, "Do you have an organist?"

"I don't know," I said honestly, "not even sure if the chapel has an organ."

"Now you do," she grinned, "My James would be honoured, he can even bring the organ and a small PA system." She smiled, "his keyboard is AMAZING!" she said, "he can programme the bloody thing through his laptop to sound like anything from a tiny cheezy children's Hammond to the one in The Albert Hall, trust me!"

"Hadn't you better ask him first?"

She smiled rather cheekily at me.

"Oh Baby," she eased a hand along my arm, "I'll only have to ask him once," she wrinkled her nose and licked her lips, "he can't refuse me!"

Another tick on my wedding chart that I hadn't even created a box for, and something told me that Sophie's music teacher fiancé was in for a rather pleasant night of it, thanks to an offer I hadn't even thought about.

I emailed the rest of Goodall/Hardy wedding party, including Kev's Dad Phil with the list of everything we'd arranged already, adding in that I had an organist for the church, who could bring an electronic keyboard with him that could sound like whatever we wanted.

I told Holly that I had a tall pretty blonde bridesmaid to match her tall dark look, and the dresses needed to be hot; but obviously not as hot as the one I was going to wear...

Holly replied with a smiley winking emoji, I had total confidence in her.

Her wedding dress had looked great, as had mine and all the other girls bridesmaid dresses. I was thinking about asking Carly and Bev, my partying pals from work as well. I didn't have the huge group of girly friends that Holly did for her vast clutch of bridesmaids, but there were certainly a few I could add. More importantly I certainly didn't have the kind of money that she spent out on our amazing outfits.

I sat back; I could already see my wedding in my head, and it wasn't going to have anywhere near like the razzamatazz that Holly and Steve's had. Our local church that both of my brothers had married in had tonnes of parking, lots of seating and room for everyone. I thought back to that lovely little chapel and if I'd get the 150 guests the hotel could seat into it.

It would be fine, I'd have Holly and Sophie as my bridesmaids and that would do.

Another bridesmaid wouldn't leave my head; I was asking my sister-in-law to be one, but not Kevan's half-sister.

Claire Anita.

What about Claire Anita?

I was still quite worried about her, but the fact she had been such a cow for so much of her life wouldn't leave me be either. She hated Kev, she didn't have a good word for her Dad Phil and ripped into me as well. Did I need that much malignancy at my wedding?

I knew that Kev would go with whatever I asked, but this day was for both of us.

That evening I asked him when he got in from his late shift, and he saw the look on my face.

"Babe," he said walking straight across to me, "what's the matter?"

"You'll never believe this Kev," I said, "I'm starting to feel guilty about not inviting your half-sister to our wedding!"

He grinned,

"Do you want to?"

"I don't know," I said, "I really don't know!" I slipped my arms around his neck, "I kind of feel really sorry for her. I know she's been a cow, but..."

"But now you think she might be salvageable?"

"Should we ask your Dad?" I squeezed him tighter, "I had a chat with him at the weekend; he wants to try to get her away from Linda's influence, give her a chance 'to grow up'... you know?"

"Yeah," he said, "Do you think..." he paused, "it would it work?!"

"We can only try. I think we should we ask your Dad!"

"A good idea," he said, "AND," he hugged me back "we should ask you Mum, she knows everyone after all."

I took my phone out of the pocket of my hoodie and patted his cargo trouser pocket.

"Let's do this!"

My Mum was just as I'd expected her to be, and her advice faultless.

"You know what she WAS like, what's different about her?" I explained what had happened. "She MAY have changed, if she's changed that much, do you think you can trust her?"

I thought about that afternoon coffee we'd had, and my old 'friend', and what it was about her. I thought about Phil's concern and what it had been about him and what he'd seen in his daughter.

"She's scared Mum." I said, "That 'in your face', 'take me or leave me' girl is gradually having the rug pulled out from under her by Linda and she doesn't know what to do."

"Are you convinced enough to risk one of the biggest days of your life on that?"

Kev had pretty much the same conversation with his Dad. He got the same vibe about Phil that I had. A concerned parent, wanting the best for his once troublesome, now troubled and increasingly distant child.

His advice was simple, but unhelpful; 'invite her, if she wrecks everything, I'll pay for you to do it all again'.

We said we'd sleep on it.

Sleep was the last thing either of us was able to do and at three in the morning Kev walked out to the kitchen and made us both a hot chocolate.

"This is ridiculous," I said, sipping the warming and comforting brew, "it would be the easiest thing in the world to not even think about her but..."

"But you're my Laura," he said moving closer to me, "and you worry about people, which Is one of the reasons I love you so much!"

That was enough to settle my concerns, and we finished our drinks and settled down to kiss and cuddle. That ended in the usual way of course and after the loveliest lovemaking we fell into a much easier sleep.

The next weekend we were all off to Nanna's place in the Welsh hills, and her amazing food selection.

Mum was delighted to meet her again and of course Steve who she'd known as a boy. We went to the Maerbont Hotel for Friday night dinner and to 'see the place'. Everyone was most impressed, and the manager was there to meet us.

Mum and Dad, Holly and Steve, and Sophie and James were all staying there, while Kev and I were in our usual room at the farm, with another for Phil who would arrive there the next morning.

After a great breakfast, it was off to the Chapel and everyone loved it, especially an extremely impressed James, who found that there was already a good public address system that he could plug his far superior keyboard into. He did so, and just to show off played 'Spring' from Vivaldi's 'Four Seasons'.

Mr Davis the vicar had been looking a bit suspicious at the bespectacled schoolteacher with his long thin rucksack, but as soon as it was plugged in and James started to play, even he was impressed and happy that his organist didn't quite have the young teacher's virtuosity.

Kev took everyone off on a bit of a tour of the village, and the surrounding countryside. I cried off that one, as I wanted to go to the local florist for a very important, and secret, meeting. That went extremely well and walked back to Nanna's farm.

Instead of retreating to our room I went for another walk to clear my head, that fresh mountain air just the thing to blow away my city cobwebs.

I wanted to go to that place, to our place, pulling on Kev's Mum's jacket against the mist or rain. I had no trouble finding it of course and I turned that corner and there to my surprise, was my soon-to-be father-in-law, knelt at the spot that he'd proposed to his wife over thirty years ago. I could hear him talking.

"You'll be so proud of him Katie, his girl... his girl!" he sounded happy, "his Laura is so beautiful... and kind... and smart, you couldn't have wished for someone more perfect for him." I blushed, "She has your Barbour! Do tell your Dad that, he'd be equally impressed I know. She's so much like you in so many ways my Katie," There was a chuckle that ended in half of a sob, "you'd love her so much!"

Wow. The man that never came back here, was here and chatting with his wife, probably in the way he always had when she was alive. I stopped, thinking of how intensely personal this moment was and that I wouldn't surprise him, and I made to turn around; but he must have heard.

"Oh Laura!" said Phil standing and wiping some detritus from the seat of his trousers and then his knee, "my yearly visit..." he stared up to the valley sides, and rubbed his hands together, "well, six monthly visit this year." He looked back at me, "I used to go to the cemetery and chat with her but... well..." he looked at me and grimaced.

I spoke up,

"You can't talk to her at the chapel," I said simply, "her Dad's there now."

It seemed obvious to me, and he was evidently pleased that I got it too,

"Yes!" he said, "Exactly! Kev couldn't chat sweet nothings to you with your dad there, and neither can I, so I come here."

I stepped up close to him, wanting only to give support.

"There's so much love here Phil," I slipped my arm through his, "I know she'll hear you." I hugged his arm tight, "Kev proposed to me right there."

"I proposed to my Katie just there," he pointed to the piece of ground where he'd been sat.

"I know," I said, squeezing his arm again, "it must be hard coming here Phil."

"Oh God," he said as we walked towards the misty waterfall, the clouds depriving us of the usual rainbows, "couldn't come here for quite a few years, but when things started to get a bit shitty with Linda, I just needed someone to talk to; thought about Nanna, but... you know." He stared out to the white foaming water, "so I drove to the chapel, and did so quite often."

"Kev doesn't know Phil," I said leaning into him a bit.

"I know sugar," he said, "let's celebrate your wedding, then I'll tell him." He leaned in and kissed my cheek, "promise!"

By the time we got back to Nanna's farm, the rest of the party was there, and she was in full flight, and we all packed into her kitchen.

"There's no dinner tonight folks," she said, "as such. Rather, we're going to be working through a whole set of starters, mains, sweet courses and nibbles. I've kind of selected the wines already, and we'll be working through those as well."

I looked at Kev and he smiled right back and shrugged his shoulders. The kitchen was packed and the best I could do was reach out, take her hand and kiss it.

It was the most amazing evening. The food was delicious of course as I knew it would be, and we went with Nanna's choice of course. Everyone had so much fun, and the taxi wasn't called until the small hours and had to paid extra and the merry bunch sang their way back to hotel, conducted by musical director James.

There was a certain number of sore heads the next morning and a later start was decided on. It was back to Nanna's house at various times and a long stream of full English breakfasts rolled off her kitchen production line.

We sat around and had some final discussions about our big day that was a mere eight weeks away, and we were all pretty good about everything. I looked at Phil and Kev, then Mum.

"And the elephant at the reception," I said, "do we invite Claire Anita?"

It went quiet, then Nanna spoke up.

"Yeah," she said quietly, "why not."

I looked at Phil and smiled,

"Can you give it to her at your place?"

"Of course," he said, "is she..." he swallowed, "is she a bridesmaid?" he cut straight in, "only I know she's never been one before."

"That's what I thought," I said looking across at Holly and Soph, happy that both of them were more than capable of dealing with a 'difficult' Claire Anita.

So that was that.

Because Claire was going to be a bridesmaid Phil offered to pay for her dress, in fact he would pay for all three of them, telling both Holly and Soph to contact him once they knew how much money was needed.

And so they did.

I wanted a pretty, embroidered, bodice style dress, something I'd seen in one of the more daring wedding dress catalogue type things Holly had bought. It attracted me because it looked quite like the sexy underwear I'd had a bit of a thing about since I could afford to buy it.

The original was just over a quarter of the price of first house, but I still wanted that look without putting us in a debtors' prison for a dress I'd only ever wear once,

I wanted something 'off the shoulder' with some cleavage, I wanted 'sexy but sweet' bride, and after a long Saturday in the nearby city, we found just the thing, at one one-hundredth of the Rodeo Drive price that had been in the book, AND the shop had my size on the shelf. Holly, Karen and Soph all growled or wolf-whistled, while Mum did what mums are supposed to do and sighed and held back tears.

Holly and Karen giggled,

"Now then ladies," said the saleswoman, "Laura is your only daughter Mrs Hardy?" There were nods, "well, she is absolutely allowed a few tears, another coffee Mrs Hardy?"

We found a similar style in bridesmaid dresses in light green and they were ordered, including one for Claire, of who there was still no sign.

Phil invited her down for the weekend and had given her the invitation, adding that she had been chosen as a bridesmaid. He told me that Claire was rather quiet about the whole thing over and over and above giving her size hadn't said much and not anywhere near as excited as he'd expected her to be. Worse than that she didn't leap in and complain about anything. He showed her the pictures of the dress we'd ordered for her and she didn't bitch about the colour or insist it wouldn't fit.

She was strangely quiet and Phil admitted to me he was worried. So worried he kept her at his place, driving her down into nearby Southampton to buy more clothes to replace the pitiful amount she'd brought that had replaced the one-time travelling wardrobe she would have brought with her previously.

She stayed for a week, and Phil made sure that she ate healthily and got plenty of sleep, paying for her return train ticket when Linda rang to tell Claire that she 'missed her and her sweet smile'; she did also ask if Phil had given her any money straight afterwards mind you.

She did ask, but Phil said he didn't have any spare, adding that her Mum took him for half of his fortune, surely she hadn't spent ALL of it. He knew from his former brother-in-law Matt and Cousin Kelly that she had.

He drove her to the railway station and dropped her off with a packed lunch for her journey back. He decided he would keep her new clothes at his place mind you, conscious that Linda might take them back to the shop for a refund, if Claire's description of her mother's current mood was to be believed.

The weeks passed and suddenly we were in May and our hen and stag nights. Various mates had suggested a full weekend but that was rather out of our price range. To be honest, the weekends with Holly and Steve the year before had cut into our finances quite considerably, but we did both have a brilliant time.

Instead it was a long Saturday, with some fun and games then a longer evening with some pre-drinks at our hotel and a night on the town; for me, Holly, Karen, Sophie, Cousin Kelly, my former roomies Pat and Jo, Carly, Bev, Sue, Cathy, almost the entire female staff of my school. The only person noticeable by her absence was Claire Anita.

I had included her on the electronic invite, but she hadn't replied and her Facebook page was unaltered bar a few 'PM my Babe/hun' comments.

I guessed that her total lack of finance would have made such a weekend torture, and even if we'd 'arranged something', the Linda I'd known and Kev and Phil had told me about would have asked lots of questions about her 'weekend away' and where the money was coming from for it, seeing as she probably hadn't paid towards the household bills since she lost her childcare jobs.

Mind you, I doubt she ever did pay towards the household bills.

We girls headed for the City of Bath, and after a little shopping went for a bottomless brunch. Back to the hotel and some sobering up, before it was cocktail frocks and back out on the town. I can barely remember getting back to the hotel if I'm honest. Soph and Holly had me out of bed and to my breakfast the next morning, despite how ill I felt.

Kev and the boys headed for Barry Island in the best 'Gavin and Stacey' tradition and a similar amount of time and alcohol consumed.

Before I'd taken our washing from the airers we were packing suitcases and making sure we had everything before our long drive to Wales, locking our front door for the last time as Miss Hardy. That Friday evening headteacher Cathy had, unbeknownst to me, already changed the door plate on my classroom to 'Mrs Goodall' and updated the school website.

With a bit of a buzz we drove through a lengthening evening arriving at the hotel and to our rooms. I shared with Holly while Stevie took care of Kev at Nanna's place. We did for a complimentary bottle of champagne, as I had with my doctor sister-in-law just under a year before, insisting it would 'drown the butterflies'.

It worked and I slept well.

That morning passed really quickly and Holly and Sophie were there helping me with my hair, my make-up and assisting me in clipping first my underwear then lacing me into the bodice of my wedding dress, just in time for Mum and Dad to arrive and to see the two bottles of prosecco that we, and the hairdresser and the maid had done for.

A bus arrived and collected the guests that were already there, and made several more trips for those that were booked in and used their rooms for that night to change in.

I watched everyone else leave, including Mum, Holly and Soph, with Karen and Steve having already left in one of the bus trips.

Finally, it was just me and Dad.

"Come on then sugar," he said to me in that way of his, "let's go and get you married."

It was the most wonderful moment for me, I'd always been really close to both my parents, but I was without question a 'Daddy's girl'.

We walked out of our room and along to the staircase, and the few people in the foyer applauded and waved, a few snapping phone pictures, with uniformed staff holding doors for us and even forming up on the steps to see us to the silver Rolls-Royce parked at the front, another Nanna arrangement I knew nothing about.

The car circled a few times for me and Dad to enjoy the moment before the two-minute trip to the chapel and Holly and Sophie and what had to be Claire waiting outside for me with Mr Davis and the photographer at the tall church doorway.

The photographer got shots of me getting out of the car with Dad, a rather sweet one of him kissing me, then my bridesmaids messing around with my dress to get it just as they wanted it, even Claire who looked pale but very pretty.