My Magazine Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Intuition Jenni. You'll get exhausted trying to find quality accommodation at a reasonable price, as landlords are trying to squeeze more and more money out of tenants."

"But I believe I have found the perfect building – we expect to know early next week and then start initiating the renovations."

"Are you happy with everything about those premises so far?"

"Basically yes Nico, but there is the matter of cost – the company owning the building may be one of those greedy landlords."

"There is nothing else worrying you?"

"Well I'd like to know why the space has been vacant for four months. There is another building likely to be going up that will block the river views, but I accept that and find it no problem providing the money we pay for the floor space is adjusted down accordingly."

"Ah that will be a major reason for re-letting problems. When people see a view, they want it – they don't want to be told that maybe they are going to lose it."

"I can understand that. There would also be noise and street congestion when the building across the street is under construction. The only other niggle I have is about the basement. My head tells me, though not particularly convincingly, that something's not quite right."

"Like what, Jenni?"

"I don't know Rhonda."

"Well think about staying on where you are locating now. It's up to you," Nico sighed.

"There are several options, to stay where you are and shifting to the larger area when it's completed and either renting it or buying a whole floor."

"That's a great offer Nico. I would like to think about it."

"Good," Katarina said. "Please come into my dining room and sample what I have tried to perfect for you."

"It's lamb, cooked and presented as you may never have experienced before. It's why I married Katarina."

* * *

On Monday morning the editorial team assembled at the new location. No one was overly impressed. The drive-in was through several buildings that were obviously vacated, awaiting the demolition crane's heavy deconstruction ball.

But there was plenty for parking space and that won approval.

"Welcome to you future," greeted Jenni, projecting a lighter mood than what she felt. However, the drive needed to cope with challenges and to unleash leadership qualities to inspire her people to perform resided within her.

"Bloody Joan of Arc is she," muttered the dissident subeditor Timothy Graham.

"Right it's time to be candid," Jenni said after everyone had examined the premises.

"All expenditure, including wages, is coming out of my bank account with no credits flowing in."

"I've planned for that and so don't worry about it. All I require from each of you is an honest day's work each day and when we launch the cash will begin to flow back in, perhaps with a bit of a gusher if we as a team have done everything well."

In true editorial fashion, after Jenni left the area the reporters and subeditors initially focused on whispering complaints. The premises were too noisy, too light, too big, too hot, too cold, too small, and too large – the complaints came until every negative had been muttered.

Then Jenni came out of her cubicle – the entire work area was 'open plan' subdivided by 5ft-4in. dividers upon which were attached moveable shelving.

She called for their attention.

"I've given your ten minutes to get everything off your chests. Those of you who don't have confidence in me to make this venture a success may leave now. Just stand up and move out – Rhonda is waiting at her desk ready to action termination procedures. But please, hurry out now because the rest of us have a magazine to launch!"

Not unexpectedly, nobody rose to leave.

Jenni was ecstatic.

''Thanks, guys. I've put my butt on the line over this venture and it is immensely pleasing to find that I have your support."

Jenni opened her mouth to begin a series of announcements but was halted by applause.

"We're with you all the way, Jennie," called Ella Schaefer, a writer

Jenni was overwhelmed.

None of them had ever seen Miss Ironheart like this before; it almost embarrassing. Jenni stood stooped a little, two tears trickling down her cheeks.

"This is unbelievable," said dissident subeditor Timothy Brandon. "Those are not crocodile tears."

"Come on you lot," shouted deputy editor Viv Stanton, exercising her authority for the first time. "Get your butts into gear. We've got deadlines to meet!"

As they turned to re-engage in productive work, Jenni realised that she'd just passed another milestone.

* * *

Going forward sometimes encourages one to look back in awe.

Jenni recalled his first day in starting work as a subeditor on the Southern Star – an enormous step forward for her at the time. Then she remembered sitting in that dingy wood-panelled room with a fresh-faced graduate from the School of Journalism Ron Wiggins, waiting to be inducted by an administrative clerk.

The following Wednesday she received her first week's pay packet in her new environment – which time occurred well before bank direct-crediting of workplace remuneration.

Facing that challenge in the newsroom of a major newspaper, holding that paypacket, Jenni suddenly became aware that she was in a state of serenity in which she had no fear, no extravagant expectations.

She realised that she was not only trying to establish a career in something that appealed to her but that she now felt that she was born to work in journalism. That belief quickly became a passion and never did she make any attempt to analyse it, believing that to do so might destroy the belief.

Ah yes, Jennie thought, returning her mind to the present. She had reached her goal at becoming an accomplished editor. But now she was taking by far the biggest gamble of her life that would require all the strength and passion she could generate using her knowledge and proven ability to manage people to work for her to jump all of hurdles in front of the new magazine to assist it to become a successful venture.

* * *

The next day the magazine staff attended the first daily editorial meeting in their temporary offices. It began precisely at the advised time of 9:00 with only one defaulter. As Jenni was about to start proceedings the door flew open and in rushed Brenda, red-faced and panting.

"Sorry, an old cow ran into the back of my car when I was stopped at the traffic lights," she panted. "There's barely a scratch on my old Rover but my tow-bar made a mess of the bumper and grill of her little Japanese shopping basket."

"That's a shame, and welcome Brenda," said Jenni. "In future do you mind having your car accidents at a more appropriate time?"

Everyone laughed happily, which was a good sign.

Jenni had documented for each member of staff her concept of the new magazine and how everyone's role ideally should converge. Each person's individual responsibilities were outlined – but not detailed. She knew it was ill-advisable to tie her team to absolutes if her goal was to have them act creatively and at the same time to interface well. Creativity and the flow of specialist skills required room to 'breathe' if they were to flourish.

While such a concept would be acknowledged by all editors, it difficult to manage it well. People were so varied. They thought differently, behaved differently, had different priorities and differed in their approach to their job – so it was necessary to provide basic guidelines. The mission had to be detailed as briefly and then the roles of individuals had to be defined and the expectations of management set out. Unless this is done it is impossible to achieve complete team understanding.

In this instance, Jenni had to push hard because of the very tight timetable she'd set. In exactly five weeks people would be reading Issue One of My Magazine – so the first sections of over-size A4 format 'book' – which has become the default standard for many quality magazines – would need to be heading off for filmmaking and other pre-print production in three weeks. She'd felt slightly weak at the knees thinking about that.

More Coming