My Magazine Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She smiled thinking ah those were the days.

Snowy was waiting for her, with coffee already poured. He didn't look at all busy.

"It was mentioned that I was lucky you could see me as usually you are so busy."

"Well I do get a lot of calls but I really only want to run the business and do the PR with major clients. I pay my people to work and to solve problems. If I were more accessible they would come running to me to provide the solutions. It actually turns them into better workers, so don't think unkindly of me."

"I understand, quite good thinking actually. What are you drinking these days – remember those time we used to have?"

"Yeah. Well three convictions for being drunk in charge of a vehicle and my doctor warning me that I on the slide towards alcoholism. I decided I needed to change my ways. The girl I was dating at the time simply loved to hump. I decided to marry her and take up her interest with greater enthusiasm. Although we have no kids she's still in love with me and keeps revving up my motor in bed. It's unbelievable. Her latest thing is doing it in exotic places – I know it's Gracie's dodge to get me to take her to great spots around the world but Jenni – I'm having great fun doing it."

"Wow I thought people only got married to have rows and to hate each other. I must have got it all wrong."

Snowy roared with laughter.

"Go out and find some guy who loves to hump Jenni but make sure that you also compatible in other ways. That's the only advice on the home front that I can give. But I've asked you in hr for another reason."

"We both know that magazines come and go like changes to the weather and people drop bundles of cash in the process. You are particularly vulnerable because you'll be at the upper end of the market where casualties are the highest and others to struggle badly are the very bottom end where hobbyists and other amateurs make unwise decisions to become publishers."

"You'll also know you need to make an explosive impact at the start, and then to try to keep under the spotlight for a few more issues to grout yourself into your niche."

"I know, the fundamental consideration aside from secure and adequate funding is to know what to do."

"Exactly, and as the nature of your business is to overwhelm readers, then that's what you've got to concentrate on."

"Now, late last week I ran into a person who shall remain nameless for the moment. He's a freelancer and is doing the last little bit of research and verification on what he told me is the hottest piece he's ever written. I'm related to him by marriage and he trusts me. He gave me an outline and perhaps he'll get well towards the fifty thousand quid that he's hoping to drag out of some publisher. I think you should bid for this article Jenni – trust me."

"Oh God, Snowy. I thought I had all my problems sorted and now you dump this one on me. If you think the article will be good, how good is good?"

"Very big bucks Jenni and chances are if you end up publishing it your magazine will be talked about throughout the country. Now, how much would you expect to pay to get that kind of exposure through advertising - one hundred grand, three hundred or even more?"

"Can you get your brother-in-law to talk to me – like tonight?"

"I didn't say he was my brother-in-law."

"No but who else would cough up information on the street on a project he's apparently doing in great secrecy?"

"Damn you Jenni, although I always used to say you had an instinct second to none. Yes he is Gracie's brother."

"Tell me this Snowy are we having this conversation for my benefit or his?"

"I'd like to help the guy out Jenni but I guess I'm leaning a bit more towards you and I don't know why. I guess is for old times' sake."

"Well that's an honest answer Snowy. Let's do it."

"Right give me your mobile phone number to save me scrolling for it. I should be back to you within the next hour."

Three hours later Jenni was reading a draft of the article, watched by Snowy and his brother-in-law Paul Lobb, the researcher/writer of the article.

"Holy fuck Paul this could bring down the Government if its two coalition partners turn against it."

"I know."

"This is a brilliant piece of investigative journalism Paul."

"I realise that Jenni. I can scarcely believe that it's all my own work – me, a graduate from the School of Journalism who nobody wanted because I am effeminate with a squint."

"In most circles those afflictions singularly are regarded as adverse attributes in respect of job recruitment Paul."

"I know but my services being offered were based on my ability of being an effective reporter. How I look and hold my hands and walk ought not to count at all?"

"True but life's not like that, is it?"

"No."

Snowy took the opportunity at the end of that intensive verbal exchange to ask, "Well, is it a goer?"

"It's well crafted, tells a great story, raises enormous issues and comes with the most impressive supportive documentation. Again I say it: it's brilliant and yes, I am interested. I would be a fool if it weren't."

"How much will you let it go for Jenni for Paul?"

"Thirty grand."

"Paul she's just an individual battling journalist like yourself who is launching a new magazine using her own resources – she has no big money backers nor is she part of a publishing corporate empire."

"Thirty grand."

Jenni looked despairingly at Snowy who raised both hands, palms upwards in defeat.

"You'll have to bite the bullet if you want it Jenni. It's taken four months of intensive work including waiting out in the rain and cold on my stake-outs to get this. I'm sorry but I am not a charity."

Jenni appeared to stare at her empty coffee cup.

"Like another coffee?"

She nodded to Paul and was not staring at the coffee cup at all. Her focus had stopped about halfway towards it as she went into deep concentration. Revolving through her mind were a number of sequences similar to film clips. She saw herself handing over to Paul a suitcase of money and he handing her a folder of an article that would fill no more than five pages of her magazine, including photographs if blown up a bit. A second folder contained four photographs plus a ten page document of photocopied pages from Paul's diary, street addresses, names of occupants at those addresses and other supporting research plus collaborating statements from three taxi drivers.

Paul had already indicated that such information was part of the overall package available for purchase.

Then she imagined My Magazine trumpeting, 'We unmask VIP in Shocking Disclosure!' in promotional advertising and then she saw the sensational heading on the actual cover of the magazine on distribution day.

Then the furore erupted, and she saw and imagined hearing the name of My Magazine being mentioned over and over and then overseas media came baying like hounds hot on the scent.

She had to buy the story. She also had to have it tied up so that the original article could not be used without My Magazine granting republishing rights in return for a substantial payment.

She shook her head, and saw that Paul had returned with her coffee and was sitting looking at her with an interested look.

"You look as if you are ready to deal."

Jenni nodded, saying that she would make one and only that one bid. Paul could take it or reject it. If he rejected it he would have the stress of offering it to various publications with the possibility of one of those parties running their own version of the story and blowing the lid before the buyer could have the original version published and perhaps resulting in them seeking the return of their payment plus advising they would go to Court seeking damages for breach of contract plus unspecified damages in the claim.

Paul listened to that impassively.

"Here's my offer, Paul:

1.You accompany me to my solicitor where the three solicitors in that firm shall read the article. If at least two but preferable three of those lawyers are of the opinion that I can safely publish the article without any or only minor deletions or amendments then I shall purchase the article.

2.To purchase the article I shall want exclusive publishing rights and the copyright of the article to be legally transferred to my company.

3.With those conditions being met I shall immediately pay you $20,000 for the exclusive publishing rights of this article."

"Well, that's it Paul. Take it or leave it."

Jenni looked calm, though here heart was pounding, whereas Paul had suddenly become quite anxious.

"Do you mind leaving us for a couple of minutes Jenni. I wish to discuss this with Snowy."

"Not at all, though remember Snowy and I have a working relationship that goes a long way back; there may be a conflict of interest here."

"I understand that, Jenni. I had thought I had everything worked out but you seem to have jumped the corral fence. I just need a bit of time to consider."

Paul came back into the room.

"I'm sorry Jenni but I'm sticking out for thirty grand – if you want the article that's what you'll have to pay."

Jenni stood up, smiling. She put her hand out for Paul to shake.

"Thank you for your time Paul. It was nice meeting you. A well compiled piece of sensational journalism and I wish you success in selling it to someone."

"Bye Snowy."

He waved, shrugging.

Jenni walked to the door hopefully but there was no reaction except for Snowy darting ahead and opening it for her.

"See you sometime next week," he said.

Well thought Jenni. Perhaps Paul's nerve will snap before she reached her car.

"Damn!"

She hurried through the rain.

Why had she offered $20,000? Jenni didn't know, but she certainly had no intention of forking out the asking price. That was the retail price – she wanted wholesale. She chuckled at her absurd reasoning.

She started the car and flicked on the wipers to clear the windscreen. There in front of the car was Paul, his hand up signalling stop. She switched off the motor and he gave her the thumbs up. He shouted they had a deal, subject to her conditions of favourable legal vetting and the signing of a contract.

Jenni was experienced enough to be confident that the article had been compiled by a reputable though unemployed journalist who'd thoroughly documented his observations to support his revelations.

Apart from normal photographs taken without flashlight there were also infra-red photographs clearly identifying the subject emerging from the premises. Legal complications arose of publishing the article with its damning revelations without giving the subject the opportunity to have his explanations, if he desired, published as part of the article. That was known as fair and unbiased reporting.

* * *

Two days before the deadline for the Rodo column, Rhonda dropped her article into the copy basket of Tina Roach, the chief subeditor.

"Don't you want to let Jenni see this first?"

"Nope because some might think that if I did that I'm pushing into the mag as a writer on the back of the editor. I want to be there on my own ability, and I think what I have written is pretty darn good for a green-horn. Jenni said that gossip writing relies on the personality rather than the writing skills of the columnist and there it is. I'm in your hands and would welcome constructive criticism."

A little later Tina came into Rhonda's cubicle.

"Well?" enquired the PA.

"Bloody amazing if it's all true."

"Of course it is!"

"Okay, okay Rhonda, sorry. But you mean women actually spill their guts out like this to you a stranger?"

"Yes."

"But they knew you were a writer."

"Of course but they also knew that I would not published their names, just their initials or nickname."

"Did Jenni brief you about what questions to ask them?"

"No, she just told me to cruise around and just chat to anyone who looked interesting and it would just all happen."

"God I wouldn't tell anyone some of these things some of these women have said. I would die of embarrassment."

"Right well I better press on with these letters. By the way Tina, are you still going out with Rex?"

"No."

"Oh dear, I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I met Phil and suddenly there was no room in my life for Rex."

"But you guys had been together for five months and were crazy on each other, or so you said."

"Of course we were, but the intensity fades in time and then I start thinking about why am I in this relationship and I start looking around again."

"Would you call yourself promiscuous?"

"God no. One man at the time is my motto."

"Do you have a favourite position?"

"That's a rather personal question."

"Do you?"

"Well, since you ask, I kinda like being on top because I can move around a bit."

"Look I really must get back to these letters. I'm in your hands."

"Yeah and Jenni will be interested in your piece. I'll toss it to Timothy to tighten it up a bit and after Mae and he have dressed it up I'll email it to Jenni with a copy to you."

Rhonda smiled and thanked Tina who returned to her work station.

When Tina returned from lunch she found an envelope on her desk, market 'Tina – Confidential.' She opened it and there was a brief handwritten message on the folded sheet of paper: 'A late addition to the Look Who's Been Talking to Rodo Queenie Column'

Tina opened the article and in very short time pulled the article into her chest and looked around, quite embarrassed. But no one was watching: Timothy and Brenda had their heads down working. She started reading from the beginning:

It's surprising what some women will tell you. Only the other day I was chatting to an acquaintance who said exactly that same thing.

T. R. with dark, mournful eyes, curly brown hair long enough to caress her shoulders habitually wears red lipstick at least four shades too pale for her milky complexion. She couldn't believe that any woman would 'spill their guts' and talk about their sex life to anyone other than a confidant.

We were chatting late morning, so this shy woman was not lubricated with Martinis or anything else stronger than black coffee. I progressed cautiously, asking her about her current boyfriend. Without hesitation she said he's gone and she'd found a replacement. 'After a while I get restless and out they go,' seems to be her attitude.

I found that very interesting. How much more could I wheedle out of her to give you, Dear Reader, an idea of how this bright, very literate woman in her late-twenties organises her love-life to ensure she'd not in her apartment alone with just her books? In the time I've known T. R. a number of men have passed through her bedroom. So I asked, "Are you promiscuous?" She replied – 'Oh no, one at the time is enough for me'. I wasn't sure by that if she meant on each occasion she had sex, or that she meant just the one man over a period of weeks or months.

T. R. doesn't go to the gym and know I know why. These short-term intensive relationships would keep anyone thin and fit – and she is thin and in very good shape!

At this stage I felt I had her warmed up so I tossed T. R. a biggie, asking her to name her favourite position. She wavered, and I thought I'd pushed the button once too often. But out it came: She – this woman who wondered how women can spill their guts and talk about their sex life to virtual strangers – told me that she prefers to be on top because she likes to move around a bit.

Boy, T. R. is going to be mad at me when she reads this!

When Tina's embarrassment and her urge to throttle a certain woman had subsided, she walked behind Timothy, saying "Here's a late add to the Rodo column."

She dropped it into his in basket and walked out to Rhonda's cubicle. She was sure that Rhonda had not written that piece for publication, but Tina had decided to push it through because it was rather interesting and told reader's a little about Rhonda's manipulative ability.

"What's your favourite position Rhonda?"

Rhonda looked up, startled. Then seeing who it was, grinned.

"I would never discuss a personal thing like that."

"You rotten cow. When you asked me that question I had the sudden thought that you may be interrogating me, but then decided you wouldn't dare. How wrong I was!

"Now, this thing about the colour of my lipstick; I would welcome your advice."

Rhonda readily gave her opinion and simply assumed that the piece written about Tina was now at rest in Tina's rubbish tin.

Rhonda's phone went and Tina went off to get a cup of coffee. The caller was Peter Upton wanting Jenni, but she was out lunching with her accountant friend.

Rhonda said 5:30 that afternoon would be fine and after putting down the phone emailed the message to Jenni who'd have the option of reading on her mobile phone or leaving it to read back at the office.

At 2:30when Jenni returned she invited Rhonda to go to that meeting with her, saying she'd like to hear Rhonda's opinion about it as a permanent headquarters for them.

While Rhonda was putting the files on Jenni's desk back into order and opening and sorting the afternoon mail delivery, Jenni phoned Snowy and asked him for the reason for shifting his agency from that fifth floor location. He said the building was now a bit out of date and corporate clients preferred their advertising agency to be in up-market surroundings.

"Anything else?"

"Not really, except the probability of losing the river view at some state, sooner than later actually.

"How many parking spaces did you have in the basement?"

"From memory fifteen, but I can check on that for you."

"No, don't bother."

"Jenni you mentioned the other day you were looking at the possibility of moving into there and we were interrupted and didn't get back to taking about it. I could recommend a good specialist to talk to about space in that area – Peter Upton."

"I'm seeing him late this afternoon."

"Good but my other thought is this: why don't you look for suitable permanent space in the location where you are now? That redeveloped area will be one of THE commercial areas of the city within a few years – mark my words."

Jenni told him about Nico's proposal.

"I'd look very seriously at that Jenni. It sounds almost too good to be true. It means working amid construction noises which can be considerable, but you have a pretty young team and no moaning old farts. In the main people are pretty adaptable. You should insist that your landlord provides double glazing throughout your premises to further reduce noise and to have the noisy construction work limited to between 7:00 and 10:00 in the morning and resuming from 3:00 in the afternoon – that would give your team a quieter working period."

"Good thinking, thanks for that," Jenni said. "We must meet for a drink – oops, I mean coffee soon."

Jenni told Rhonda about that call, saying she'd thought about getting double glazing installed but not about the contractors being confined to periods for their noisiest work. They agreed that it would be best for Nico to set up a contractor-owner-tenant subcommittee to consider complaints and special requests.

Back at her own cubicle Rhonda thought about their visit to her parent's home. As expected, Jenni and Brigetta had bonded almost instantly. The three of them had a lovely time until a high-revving sound of a car being driven fast down the metalled driveway became evident, sliding as it took the bends under heavy acceleration. The vehicle skidded to almost a halt to go quietly on to the concrete apron to the garages.

"Daddy has announced his arrival home," Rhonda said, shaking her head. "He's still a boy racer and he often has to get the drive re-graded and occasionally re-metalled. There's now a very much larger deposit of metal off the track than on it."