My Mother, the Spy Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Again I felt like I was not in on the bad joke.

"James, nice to meet you again. Last time it was under more serious circumstances."

"Erm, hello again Brigadier." I hesitated on holding out my hand.

"No.....it's Tom, please. When we are not on duty it's Tom. I am here to take you to see off your wife, I am sincerely sorry it has come to this. I mean her going away like this, but we knew it would most likely happen one day."

I nodded my appreciation of his concern and put my crutches into the back seat of his car. I was surprised how much he talked on the way, he was nothing like my impressions from our last meeting. I actually got to quite like him. He tried to reassure me about Alice's safety but we both knew not many spies made it back. He did tell me that everyone he knew who had any dealings with her, said she was the best that they had ever seen.

The gate Guard saluted us as we drove in and we parked at the officers mess. I got a few good wishes gestures from my fellow pilots, I also got a few shall we say less friendly wanker waves all in good fun though.

"Alice is away at 900hrs, we are here in plenty of time. Bill Winterman is the pilot, she is in good hands."

"Thank you Tom, sorry, Brigadier."

"I have arranged for you to be a passenger if you wish." He said.

"Thank you, thank you I really appreciate that."

One of the squaddies let me jump aboard his jeep and took me down to Alices barrack. I felt sick with anticipation and dread of the coming next few hours. They were still in bed, I slipped into Alices bunk behind her and kissed her neck. She nearly threw me out in her panic, she turned to see it was me and kissed me hungrily. The girls new C.O. saw us and threw me out unceremoniously.

Over the next hour my three girls were tucking into a plate of egg, bacon and all the trimmings in the officers mess while I took the time to search out old comrades.

The Brigadier found me, "Sorry old chap but you cannot go with them today, I have had to agree with their flight commander. Their mission is too important for distractions at the very last minute. You can see them off but I am afraid that is it. Sorry James."

I was heartbroken and hobbled down to the mess, Edith was the first to see me and her gasp made the other two look up, Alice squealed and threw her plate onto her table making a dash straight for me. I braced for impact and thank goodness she put the brakes on at the last moment.

She took my face into her soft dainty hands placing one on either cheek and kissed me.

"Thank you for coming James, I'm sorry but we go in 45 minutes. We have no time for a proper goodbye."

"I know, just know I love you. Come home to me."

The look on her face is one I will never forget until my dying day, the tears flowed and flowed. We stood in an embrace for ten full minutes. When I looked at the other two they were sobbing too.

***************************************************************

The flight commander came in, "Time ladies."

Alice looked at him, "Two minutes, just two minutes."

"Two minutes." He replied, "No more."

"James, I love you so much. I will be back I promise, we have our future together all planned."

We were taken by truck to the aircraft, it was ready and waiting with the engine already fired up.

I knew this might be that last time I saw my wife. Our lives had been so short together, but those few months were the happiest of my life.

Alice and the girls were taken to the plane, she turned and ran back to me kissing me with passion.

"I will come home to you James, I promise."

The other two were trying to hold back tears at the open doorway. Her C.O. called her to board.

She walked back to the plane turning blowing me kisses through her tears until the door was shut. That was the last I saw of her for nearly four years.

*************************************************************

I read her note on my return home, it spoke of her undying love for me and how she would be home because we had a family to make.

It was four weeks later that she made contact with London, I got the call at my parents' house where I was still convalescing. The relief after all this time was incredible, she was safe. I had been vegetating for the month, refusing to do and physical work to get better. Not eating, washing, I just wanted to be alone.

That changed once I had heard that she was ok. The following few months I threw myself into physiotherapy, I needed to get back to work. I got a call from London every few weeks saying she was well and safe, I looked forward to those calls, they were my lifeline to her.

Late September 1941 I managed to get back on base, it had changed. Not many of the old faces were still there. Many, far too many had died or were injured. I was put behind a desk for a while but I was gagging to get back into the fight.

I had missed the Air battle over Southern England, the Germans Blitzed many of our main cities. The main reason I wanted to be a pilot was to defend my country and I had missed it. Many days I looked up from our garden in Kent to see our boys giving those Bastard Germans hell, wishing I was up there with them.

It had been a quite a few months now and the news from London concerning my wife was drying up. I was getting myself into a bit of a state worrying about her, getting nowhere on the phone to people that might know, should know. I decided to take the train to London myself and find what I could about my Alice.

I wangled a week's leave and stayed in a little B&B just off Waterloo Station, down near the Old Vic theatre. It was a short walk over the bridge and down to Whitehall. I met Brigadier Jenkins in a small café near Trafalgar Square like we had arranged.

"James, over here." He waved as I entered. "Off the crutches I see?"

"Yes, its been a few months since I needed them now, back fighting fit and raring to get stuck in.....if they will ever let me."

"You will get your chance James, you will." He nodded as if he knew that for a fact as he was saying it, it made me feel a whole lot better.

"Now, about your Alice."

"is she ok? Do you know anything?"

"Personally, no. But I have arranged that we meet someone at 1pm this afternoon at the war office. If anyone knows, he will."

We had a light breakfast then took a stroll down to Whitehall. The birds were singing and dappled sunlight shone through the branches of the trees framing either side of the street. You would never know we were in a war on that afternoon.

We entered into a large hallway with big old desks scattered around, typists were busy clacking away. The large oak table at the end looked more formal with no typewriters, just a middle aged lady reading from a large open book.

"Ahem, Brigadier Jenkins to see Admiral Hennesey."

She dropped her glasses slightly from the bridge of her nose with her free hand and looked up at us standing before her, and in a very posh West London accent she said.

"The Admiral is a busy man, do you have an appointment?"

I could see the Brigadier was a little peeved and annoyed at her tone of voice but he kept his cool saying, "Yes, tell him it is Tom Jenkins with Barrow Johnstone's boy.....NOW if you please!"

I looked at him quizzically saying, "Barrow?"

"It's a long story, for another time." He grinned back.

The lady behind the desk phoned through and said, "Please wait two moments, someone will be down to take you up."

A young lady came down the large staircase to our right "This way please gentlemen."

She took us through countless hallways and doorway until she eventually knocked and let us through a large oak door.

"Sir, your guests."

"Thank you Tabatha. Get us some tea would you dear."

He turned to me saying, "Barrows boy eh, nice to meet you Squadron Leader."

Again I said "Barrow?"

They both looked at each other, again grinning. For the next two hours I was told of my wife's heroics abroad, she had saved countless lives with her actions and got vital messages back telling of enemy positions in France and Belgium.

"She was supposed to report again last Month, we have not heard of her or from her in over two months now. We have heard through the resistance that she is ok but..." He said with concern in his voice.

"I will not lie to you James, she is in a very dangerous position. BUT she is the best we have out there and if anyone can survive this war, she can."

He took a file from his cabinet, put it down on his desk and opened it.

"Your wife is an amazing woman, in the last year she has gotten out secret files on most Nazi operatives in Belgium and more importantly here in London, even eliminating a couple of rather nasty specimens."

"Alice?"

"Your Alice is our best operative behind enemy lines in the whole of occupied Europe James."

I looked over at Tom, he sat with a smug smile on his face as if he knew this all along but didn't wish to tell me.

"I can honestly say James, that if she had been captured or worse we would know about it. My best guess is that she is in a sticky situation and cannot report at this time, she will though. I know her enough to know she will, after all I did recruited her."

He gave me a card with a private number to ring in three days-time, he would know more then, if not before.

Two days later I got a call from his office saying she had made contact and was safe, and would I meet the Admiral next week at his London office. I felt like a ton weight had been lifted from my shoulders and had the first good night's sleep I had had in months.

*****************************************************************

"Squadron Leader Johnstone to see Admiral Hennesey."

The same middle aged lady, looked up from behind her desk adjusting her gold rimmed glasses, she gave me a look up and down and said.

"He is expecting you Squadron Leader, you know the way," and gestured to the large staircase.

Tabatha was sitting behind a desk outside the Admirals office. She saw me coming down the hallway and I presumed rang through to him because as I arrived at her desk he opened his door.

"Johnstone, welcome. Please sit."

There was another man sitting in the corner of his office smoking a pipe, he nodded a greeting to me and waved his pipe but he said nothing.

"Right lets get straight to it shall we. Alice is fine, she has been in a few scrapes but she is safe."

He nodded in the direction of the mystery man in the corner, "This is Mr. Clarke. He works for a government department that you will not have heard of."

The mystery man again nodded his acknowledgement towards me.

"Alice is in his employ. I will leave you now to have a chat here in my office, Tabatha with bring in some refreshments."

He stood and left shaking my hand again on his way out, leaving me with the stranger.

"I have read your profile James, I must say I am impressed."

He held a file in his hand flipping from page to page. He stayed silent as he perused the pages then eventually looked up.

"Do you want in?"

"In?" I replied, not knowing what he meant.

"In on the loop, in on the inside?"

He put the file down resting his elbows on the desk, his mouth on knuckles of his hands looking at me inquisitively.

"A job you mean?"

"Of sorts." He said through his clasped hands with a smirk. "You will learn more about your wife, if that helps."

"Yes, yes I want the job."

He smiled, "Think about it, speak to Barrow when you get home. Take his advice, you have 48 hrs. we will be in touch."

With that he left just as Tabatha came in with tea and cakes. He took a cake from her tray "Thanks Tabby" and walked off leaving me alone in the office wondering what the hell just happened.

My father met me at the station, "Get in the car" he said warmly.

"Barrow?" I asked raising my eyebrows.

"It's a long story. Quick version is I nearly killed the King in a wheel barrow."

"The King?"

"Like I said, it's a long story. For another time."

He left it at that. "I hear Tommy Clarke had a word?"

"You know him?"

"We worked together, sometimes we still do."

"Dad, I think he is a spy."

My father feigned shock, rather badly and then grinned. "Lets say he, and I work for the government and leave it at that shall we."

"You?"

"Your brother also." He replied.

"Jesus dad! Were you ever going to tell me?"

"No. But who knows now, what are you thinking of doing? It will mean giving up your RAF position you know."

"I need to know about Alice, she is all that matters to me right now."

My mother was at the gate waiting for us on our return. She had that same look of concern that seemed etched on her face lately.

"Elsie, everything is fine." My dad whispered to her as he passed her by.

I spent the weekend at home with them speaking to my father when time would allow. He gave me the advice I needed and when Mr. Clarke called I told him yes.

As luck would have it, it was preferred that I kept my Squadron Leader role, but only as an administrative capacity. Over the next year I flew secret missions for the M.O.D. when and where required. I could keep tabs on my wife too through Whitehall channels. I had heard she was almost captured by the Gestapo. Three of her resistance cell were tortured but didn't give her up and were executed.

She made contact with London every last Friday of the month, I was informed if she was in trouble. She was very skilled operator and had teamed up with a their top Belgian assassin which I was grateful of, it gave her an added layer of protection.

It was in March 1942 that I started to fly our people to and fro from Holland and Belgium, only then did I realise just how dangerous Alice had it. Of the nine flights missions I did we lost eight of the operatives, I was not called upon to do not even one rescue mission. She had survived and thrived in the chaos of was for nearly three years, I wondered if and how it had changed her.

Early that summer I was called into the London office and told my wife had had to marry a Harry Taylor for extra added cover, he is a Belgian national. I was not happy at all but it was explained that her life depends on making these kinds of decisions. I got snippets of her life throughout the summer of 42 but nothing concrete. The war was not going as we had hoped in northern Europe, it was getting harder to get intel out. Many spies were being caught and put to death. I was on tenterhooks all the time dreading the worst possible news.

Belgium, Nederland's and France were all completely dominated by the Germans now, life as an agent was to the point of if you survived the day, it was a good day. I felt totally helpless, the love of my life was alone and she needed me. I could do nothing to help her.

Just before Christmas 1942 I got the dreaded news of my wife's capture, I was a grown man, hardened to the ways of war yet I cried in my mother's arms and she comforted me all night. My dad made call after call but to no avail. He knew it was bad but, "No news is good news." He said.

It didn't help.

We heard nothing for nearly a month, those weeks were hell on earth. I was helpless.

It was mid-January 1943 when the phone rang, my mother took the call and made contact with the airfield to get home as fast as I could. I tried to call but the phone just rang and rang, I even got the operator to run a test on the line to make sure it was working. The whole journey home I feared the worst news awaited me.

My mothers joyous smile at the kitchen table took my fear away instantly.

"Well?"

"She is alive son, Alice is alive."

My legs gave way from under me and I dropped to my knees sobbing. I could not breathe, I could not speak. I felt my mothers arms wrap me in a cloak of comfort and we sat there on the cobbled stone floor for what seemed like an eternity.

My father came in from his study and laid his pipe on the side,

"James, the resistance in...." He took a piece of paper from his pocket to read from it,

"erm...Kortrijk have contacted London, Alice is battered and bruised. She was tortured half to death but they got her out. But she is alive and on the run. They are trying to get to France."

"She is ok though, yes? they? she is with others?" I managed to say, finding my voice.

"Yes with a Belgian man, the head of her cell..." he looked at my mother beside me. ".......have you told him yet Elsie?"

I turned my head to her, she had turned pale. She had tears in her eyes, "No, I couldn't."

"WHAT! WHAT IS IT? TELL ME!" I screamed at the pair.

I had never seen my father with the look he had an ashen on his face at that moment, I hope I never see him wear it again.

My father said in a low serious voice, "She is pregnant son."

***********************************************************************

I woke in my bed, my dad had carried me through the hallway and upstairs. My head was pounding then it all came flooding back.

He was sitting by my side on a small chair, "Son, you fainted. Its ok we are here."

My mother was sitting in a similar chair at the end of the bed with a pot of tea and three cups.

"You need a strong sweet tea lad." She whispered.

"I don't want a bloody tea!" I shot back.

"JAMES!" don't you swear at your mother, my dad growled at me.

I didn't mean it, I was angry and still regret reacting that to her that way even to this day.

I apologized and took the tea from her trembling hand sipping it slowly. The silly thing is, it did make me calmer.

"Pregnant?" I whispered, almost to no-one but myself.

"Yes," said dad. "Pregnant." I am sorry son.

I sat in silence for nearly a week in our back garden feeling sorry for myself and utterly betrayed. Tommy Clarke called once or twice saying take as much time as needed, it was fine.

It wasn't fine, nothing was fucking fine. My wife had been near battered to death, I had spent three years of my life pining for her to find she is pregnant with another mans child. It was as far from fine as it could possibly fucking get!

Winter turned to spring, it could've been the end of days as far as I cared, I still sat in the garden feeling sorry for myself. Nothing was heard from Alice until April 1943, she was in Ypres. She had made contact but was now travelling alone.

Tommy Clarke turned up at the house that afternoon to tell me the news in person and did I want to try a rescue mission. He could spare two commando's to go with me but it needed an immediate decision.

I again looked to my dad standing behind Tommy for advice, he said one word. "Go."

Within 5 hours we were ready to leave from Lydd airdrome in Kent. I had never in my life considered jumping from a light aircraft, yet here I was doing just that. I wanted to fly them not jump from them. We were not trained to jump from them just fly the buggers.

My two new companions gave me a crash course mid-flight in throwing myself into the abyss. An hour later I was pushed from the open door into space, it was pitch black. I was told count to ten and pull the cord, then 30 seconds later brace for impact.

Being scared has no comparison to this, it was absolutely terrifying. I could not see a thing, no trees, fields, houses, nothing. Just the God awful sound of the wind whistling past my ears. I just waited for the earth to hit me at 30 mph. I hit the ground with a crunch, it hurt like hell. I saw two flicks of light from the darkness, our signal and I made my way to them.

Gordon, one of the commandos was already there, he told me the other lad didn't make it. He had hit a tree on landing and broke his back. He had to leave him in the tree as we were short on time. He would be found the next day by patrols, we had to move quickly as the alarm would be raised the moment he was found.

Our guide moved us to an abandoned farm house, there were provisions for a few days but we didn't have time as our poor dead colleague would put us all in danger. We ate as we changed clothing taking what we could, it was mostly fruit, water and ammo. We were five miles from Ypres and across darkened enemy territory we would be fortunate to make it before dawn.