My RA Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Miss Joy told Molly how to put it on Mommy. Soon Mommy was walking around the room showing everyone the simple silver cross necklace that was picked out from Molly's caring heart.

Molly didn't know what to do so she just cried tears of joy and hugged Mommy again. "Merry Christmas Mommy."

"Merry Christmas, child. You are growing up so fast."

Mommy was so glad that she added Miss Joy and Miss Sarah to be guardians for Molly.

The children were thrilled about all their gifts. Each one was special to them in one way or another. They never took a present for granted. Because of that, they got and gave presents with more meaning. Even the picture of the horses had a good meaning for them as they all loved horses and to see them running free was a bonus.

When Molly got home she was all excited, sleep soon overtook her and she went to bed.

The blanket was heavy, she would figure it out tomorrow.

The next day, Miss Sarah saw Molly trying to figure the problem out, she refused to get help. Getting a bale of hay was impractical, climbing on her stall was too dangerous. She tried folding the blanket different ways.

She knew she could do it; she could get her saddle up there so she could get the blanket up. She looked around the barn and saw lots of hooks, but they would tear the blanket. She was getting desperate. She said a short prayer asking for help.

Then she saw her saddle bags, they went behind the saddle and she could put half on and then the other half on. She could fit the blanket in the saddle bag, take it out once it was up there. Fix the blanket then put the saddle on and tie up the saddle bags.

By this time, April and Zoe joined Sarah watching Molly. Sarah said, "Do not ask her, let her tell you about her accomplishment." It took her forty-five minutes to figure it out. Now she was behind in her chores.

She ran and fed and watered the animals and cleaned their stalls. Then she had to check the wire fence and fixed any breaks. Then she checked on the DIY horses in case they were sick or hurt. She didn't have to do that but she would feel bad if one got sick and she didn't tell the owner.

It was almost supper time and she had three more jobs to do; she changed the order so she didn't have to ride as much. Miss Sarah went out to call her to dinner, but instead watched her working hard to finish her jobs. She finally finished thirty minutes late, but all the food was in the oven keeping warm.

I am sorry I am late to supper, I got way behind doing my jobs so it took more time.

Miss Sarah said, "Some people would leave those extra jobs and maybe hope someone else would do them. You finished them all. You even checked on the DIY horses. That is more than most people would do, I bet that is why a lot of people want to have their horses here.

Supper was a yummy, hearty stew. Everyone burned off a lot of calories so everyone was fit. Miss Sarah changed which meal was the big meal. Everyone liked having breakfast being the big meal. It meant a lot of big jobs when everyone was fresh.

It messed up Molly's schedule but she was used to it by now. Doing the same thing every day got boring, working on a new big project was fun. A few of the hands didn't work on the project so they could work on the urgent items.

Today, there were unknown problems with a thresher and a combine. Sarah's mechanic was the go to gal. Molly stayed with her, by now Molly knew what tools were what, so it freed up an adult and the job was done twice as fast as tools were handed back and forth.

To make it easier on Molly, each size was color coded with paint so Molly could spot the right size instantly. There was a color code chart, but Molly studied it hard and looked at the corresponding tools. It took two days of free time, but she got it down. She wanted to show she could do a good job, they were counting on her to do so.

Molly liked working with the mechanic, they always kidded each other. On most days, Molly had a lot of other jobs that needed to be done so, working with her was a treat.

True to her word, Molly never lied to Miss Sarah. If she was given a job she couldn't do, she tried to find someone who was not busy to help her. If she couldn't find one, she went to Miss Sarah and told her why she couldn't finish her task. In most cases, it was Miss Sarah's fault because she forgot Molly was just eight. Even though it was Miss Sarah's fault, Molly had already tried her best.

For right now, Molly was to report to the foreman. Miss Sarah was buried under paperwork getting ready for the upcoming year. It was almost an impossible task; how can you tell what you need in June, in December? How many gardens should we let the kids grow? What if they put a new stable in on the other side of the ranch? Would the workers like to have a stable to keep their own horses? She would ask at supper time.

Sarah said, "As you all know, I am planning for next year. We are not using all our land, even if we move where the horses graze. The man next door wants to retire so he wants to cut back his horses to six or eight. We may have an opportunity to get most of the land, stables and we would have a readymade workforce. I do not want to fire anyone, just get new contracts

Would you like to build a stable just for your horses? I need to know all these big items, so I know how much of the smaller stuff to get contracts for. I want to get input on the kid's gardens.

The workers loved the idea of their own stable. There could be extra stalls for some foals. Many brought their saddles with them.

Molly was the first to respond. I think the kids will like to grow things. I think maybe we could have two flower places. A summer garden and a winter garden that would be closer to the house so you get inside faster. I know the animals like the food just as much as we do.

A roar of laughter went up. "That they do Molly. Sometimes we put a fence up, and on the inside edges we plant pretty flowers that do not smell good to them. So, we get the good stuff and they walk away. The ones that go underground are the hard ones, you never know where they come up and they may have three or four holes they come up."

"Hey Molly, did you hear the one about the rancher who planted onions next to potatoes that was next to the corn?

When asked why he did that he said, well the onions will make the eyes on the potatoes cry. The ears on the corn will hear the potatoes cry and it will suck up all the tears up with its roots."

Molly laughed, "That is just silly."

"Maybe so, but it got you to laugh, you need to do more of that. You and your friends should take 'Spirit', 'Peaceful', and 'Courage' out for rides more."

Miss Sarah said, "Quite right, Molly has been working way too hard. She has even tried to do things eight-year-old girls can't do. Tomorrow is Saturday, you have the afternoon off to ride with your friends and just have fun. After church, maybe someone will give you some guitar lessons.

Molly, you are just eight years old. You are meant to play and have fun. I guess I forgot about that, we will see how each day unfolds to see if we can let you have fun here or go into town. You will still have some jobs but we can cut back on your workload."

Molly broke out in a million-watt smile. She ran over to Miss Sarah and gave her a hug. "I love you Miss Sarah. Can I call their Mommy now? Can they have dinner or supper with us? I think hot cocoa may be needed when we get back."

Miss Zoe and Miss April couldn't hold their straight faces any more. "Everyone who likes hot cocoa raise their hands. I think Miss Sarah needs to buy the milk and maybe some pies." All hands were raised, some had two arms raised.

Molly dashed to the phone and called her friend's Mommy. "Hello, this is Molly at the ranch, Miss Sarah said I could have tomorrow afternoon off. She thought 'Spirit', 'Courage' and 'Peaceful' could have some fun together so I would like to play with my friends please. Would you mind if they stayed for dinner or supper? I said hot cocoa may be needed when we come back. Miss Zoe thought we could have some pies to. Everyone at the table really likes pies and hot cocoa."

"I am not sure they are free tomorrow or if they like pies or hot cocoa. Let me ask them."

A short time later Molly heard two high pitched noises. "Mommy we both like pies and hot cocoa. We would love riding with Molly, it has been such a long time. Mommy can we go please, please."

"Apparently, I was wrong Molly, they both like pies and hot cocoa, imagine that. They would love to ride with you. We will be up around 11:30 for dinner time."

Molly hung up the phone, and started jumping up and down with arms flailing about yelling, "Yippee!"

"Miss Sarah, I think she got permission."

The next day Molly's friends were back. They couldn't believe they were back, it had been months. They helped set the table, there were so many people. Once dinner started all three chattered on and on. Adults were not permitted. None of them could follow the conversation anyway. Molly was totally dialed in, even adding her own thoughts. The girls insisted on helping to wash the dishes. Something else they could all do together. One wash, one rinse, one dry (Molly dried as she knew where things went.) Out they went and zoom all were mounted and off they went.

Sarah was glad to see Molly having fun. She had been so busy with what she had to do, she didn't realize how she effected Molly. She had to be with her friends more. For winter time, she needed to go to town. When a lot of kids started coming, she should help them and they can help her. That is all the kids wanted, to be with their friend. It didn't really matter what it was, it was a bonus if they could have a fun job.

"Zoe, how could I do such a thing?"

"Do what Sarah?"

"How I treat Molly, she is just a little girl. It has been months since she was riding with her friends. Her friends just want to be with her. They will help her with her jobs, they don't care.

She is their self-imposed leader and they only see her at church. It is not right, she should be playing 'tag' instead of knowing the difference between a wrench and pliers.

She still wants to work here, I would like to see her here, and she has friends here.

Could you be her 'Fun coordinator'? Overrule me when she gets stressed out. Maybe sit down with her and figure out a schedule I can figure things out from there. Her biggest job is feeding the horses. We can reduce the number of stalls she cleans. Make a new schedule when the gardening team comes up here.

Maybe send her on an errand in town and tell her she can play with her friends for a few hours if she completes the errand. She loves hop scotch, but the closest thing we have to a game is horseshoes.

Sarah vowed to change things. Molly had a very large room. Sarah took Molly to town to pick up her two friends, they had to go shopping, and everyone was excited. The girls were not aware as to why they were going. They were going on a trip. Rarely, did they go outside of town, but today was way out of town and Miss Sarah had the biggest truck.

It took two hours to get where they were going, a handmade wooden furniture store. The store was filled with all sorts of pretty furniture. Miss Sarah said, "She needed the girls' help with getting furniture. She led them all over the store just wandering."

The store had received a call about an item, they assured her they had many sizes and if she wanted something different they would craft it. They took great pride in their workmanship, and their customer service. Sarah said she was bringing three girls with her and will wander around before arriving at their destination.

The sales team were all smiles when they came in, and the manager approached them, "Could I assist you ladies in finding some furniture?"

Miss Sarah said, "We are just looking now, we will ask a staff member if we find something."

Everything was so beautiful, the girls opened every door, looked in every box and asked what every piece was for. Finally, Miss Sarah arrived in the right section. The kids didn't need to ask what those boxes were.

The screamed in unison, "Toy chests!" They were quickly admonished about their noise level, and they all apologized.

The salesman came over to help them.

Miss Sarah said, "Molly here has a large bedroom at a horse ranch, as you can see, she works there also. I have been very neglectful of an eight-year old's needs. I intend to fix that.

Since Molly has a large room, nothing, but a large toy chest would do. Could you suggest a good type of wood for our needs?"

"Well this is a good sturdy oak chest with nickel hinges and handle, so it does not get green like brass would. It also has a protective coating that would protect it from the extra dampness of your ranch."

Miss Sarah said, "Sold, can you put it in the truck for us. I brought some horse blankets.

Well Sir, can you tell us where our next stop should be, and after that we will need to get some food."

"Well let's see, if I was an eight-year-old, who had friends and I just had an empty extra-large toy box to play in, I would get bored. I have bought a lot of things down at the mall, two miles from here. You would not believe what kind of stores they have there."

"Mister, the only way you can make a toy chest happy is if it is full of toys, do they have a toy store there?"

"Well, I think they have two; they were busy at Christmas time. I bet if you asked nicely, you could get a few bigger pieces to put in your room if you keep your room clean. Someone that has a messy room may not be worthy of a toy chest at all."

Miss Sarah laughed, "Molly keeps her room much cleaner than mine, and maybe I should have her clean mine once a month. By the way, if I remember right, little girls tend to get more jewelry than they ever could wear. These girls behave so well, I think they all need a jewelry box, do you have any?"

The salesman took them over to the showcase that had several types.

"I think over time, they will get a collection. Let's plan on three necklaces, four rings and two charm bracelets. The boxes will have extra room, Molly already has a pendant with a picture of her dolly and herself. Apparently, she does not have a boyfriend yet."

"All boys are 'Yucky' Miss Sarah." The other two nodded their heads in agreement.

Each one picked out the box they wanted. They were basically the same box, except for the decorations. That way, each girl got their own special box.

"Girls, what do you want to eat? This nice man can tell us where to go."

They said in unison, "Burgers and shakes!"

"There are a few places not far from the mall, you can't miss it."

Miss Sarah said, "Thank you mister, I will recommend you to my friends, we have lots of young children in our town."

Both toy stores were huge. "OK girls, this is how we are going to start, first we will just look around in each store. Then you will tell me your favorites. They cannot be the same. We have a big toy chest to fill up so we will do it more than once, we may have to take a lunch break and come back."

After looking in both stores Molly huddled the other girls together. "OK since we all have dollies let's not waste a pick on another one. Let's all pick something all three of us can play together. I want to get a soccer ball so we can play outside." All heads nodded.

"I want a soccer ball so we can play outside."

"I want that outdoor chalk so we can draw pretty pictures. I think they will wear out fast, we may need extra."

"I want that hippo game for indoors, it looks fun and silly.

OK girls your second pick?

"Frisbee."

"In the other store, there was a man playing a game you bounced balls, I liked that."

"Cards, in case we get bored."

"Miss Sarah said third pick?"

"Miss Sarah, can we pick the same now?"

"I guess so, what do you want?

The other two nodded.

"Kites, but different colors, you got lots of room."

"Miss Sarah, can I ask for a bigger thing that is not here so I do not waste a pick?"

Miss Sarah thought, she found a loophole. I was counting gifts only from here.

Miss Sarah said, "It depends, what it is?"

"We need a good outside clubhouse where no one can hear our secret meetings."

Miss Sarah thought, "Earth to Sarah, Duh, kids love clubhouses."

Miss Sarah said, "That is a great idea, it will not be charged as a pick. Time for lunch and we will come back."

After a bathroom break Miss Sarah called her foreman, "We have three little girls who have need of an outdoor place to hold secret meetings. It needs to be able to hold more friends and have a 'No boy's allowed' sign on it. They tell me all boys are 'Yucky'. We also need a place at least ten feet by ten feet for hopscotch and outdoor chalk drawing. You will need to consult with them as to the hopscotch design."

Miss Sarah to the cashier, at the fast food place, and ordered, "Can I have three kids' meals with cheeseburgers and fries. One adult cheeseburger with medium fries, two strawberry shakes, one chocolate shake and a vanilla shake and four tap waters please."

Sarah loved to see the sparkle in the girls faces. A special trip with their favorite friend. To buy a toy chest and pick their own toys to put in it. Why has she been so blind? She knew Molly was their leader, but Molly only saw her friends at church. Sarah needed a heart to heart with a Joy.

Sarah went to visit Joy, "Joy I just do not know what to do. I am not treating Molly fair. She wants to work at the ranch, she has lots of friends there and I am slowly getting more young ones out there. The problem is that is only two or three of her friends, she has fifty that want to have her as leader. They only get a glimpse of her at church before she rides off."

"How far ahead can you plan Molly's jobs Sarah?"

"Let's say four days Joy."

Joy said, "If you posted the schedule Molly and friends instead of just Molly. My point is, you want certain jobs done and done well. Does it really matter if one person or twenty get the jobs done and done well? The money thing is up to you. After the jobs are done, they can have playtime.

"Doing four days at a time can split up the workforce. Then they can be with their friend and learn things also. If you have a special project have a few go with Molly to help finish that task and the others continue what they were doing to finish Molly's primary tasks.

"You could have ten sleeping bags here for people who agree to get up at sunrise. Then at nine or ten O'clock the fresh troops will arrive, the jobs half done. Before dinner almost everyone will start to play. They will be with their friend, and the work thing is helping Molly."

Sarah said, "I guess the mark of a leader is delegation and the results. I will need to lead by example, but I guess I may need to adjust some jobs."

Joy said, "If Molly is getting help you may need adjust her salary. For the other ones, you may think of a token and price. Price for Molly, tokens for kids, have them look at a book of your making and save up for the prize they want. If they just want an extra cookie it would be one token, if you want a bike it maybe fifty tokens. Have hard jobs like muck raking have two tokens so they can get help and each could get a token.

"When Molly needs to ride somewhere, to check the fence, why not have her two friends go with her. Sounds like a boring job if you ask me. She is just eight, I do not think she would mind a cut in wages if she can spend a lot more time with her friends. A hundred and fifty acres is a big playground."

Sarah said, "Well, I guess if I know what ones I want Molly to do. I guess I could make a list and maybe add some jobs. I would need to know who is coming and when. If we do not get help, Molly should do the same routine.