My Solemn Oath Pt. 01

Story Info
Trading my forbidden love to save my dying father.
5.2k words
4.13
1.5k
2
0

Part 1 of the 4 part series

Updated 04/17/2024
Created 03/29/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 1

Anora

I heard her crying, the wails of mourning shaking the very walls of the castle. I stifled my own cries, standing on the very tips of my toes trying to peer over the shoulder of the castle plaith. The old healer held me back, a hand pressed firmly against my shoulder. I wanted in the room, but they wouldn't allow it, not until mother had proven the disease my father ailed from wasn't contagious.

William looped an arm around my waist, pulling me backward but not before I saw father coughing a fit. He held a handkerchief to his mouth, his body covered in the thick red quilt hand stitched by mother and me. The lights were dim in the room though it was morning, the tall drapes being shut against the glaring sunlight streaming in from the east.

"Let me go, William." I fought against his hand, pulling at the plaith's shoulder. "I need to see him."

"Lady Anora, please don't make this difficult for us." The plaith's voice was soothing as he took me by the shoulders, then cupped my cheeks. He was old, his aged face scared with time, deep crevices across his forehead and beneath his eyes. No doubt he'd seen all the joys and pains of several generations, yet still as full of life as he was the day he'd accepted me from my mother's womb.

"Please, Elwood, I must see my father. Please..." I sobbed, pleading with him, clinging to his robe.

"Enough of this nonsense, Nora." William wasn't so kind. His hasty words and the way he jerked me away from Elwood's comfort infuriated me. The moment he set me loose I was back, trying to squeeze my way into the room, but Elwood caught me. I watched father coughing again, this time as he pulled away the handkerchief it was dotted with blood.

Mother looked up at me, eyes forlorn and empty. She blinked slowly, then accepted the handkerchief from Father. The plaith pulled the massive oak door shut and stood in the corridor with us. He looked like a frail old man, but his weight alone bested mine by double. I fell to my knees, hand splayed on the intricate carving chiseled into the door.

"Father..." I wailed, my heart breaking in two.

"Thank you, Elwood. That will be all until you come again this evening to check on him." I heard him talking but my eyes were squeezed shut against the pain I was feeling. I heard the plaith walk away but still I did not open my eyes.

"By wolf moon, William! He'll be dead by the wolf moon and you won't even let me be with him." I tried to stand, but my legs were weak. William gripped my elbow and yanked me upward. I wanted to spit in his face, slap him, stomp on his foot.

"I'm trying to keep the rest of the castle alive. I can't even go speak with him, so I can only assume that in his stead I must run things until he recovers, or until my coronation is held. This means you will listen to me or I will call the rolt and he will bring his sword and stand outside this door to guard it against your invasion." He squared his shoulders, adjusting his collar. I hated him. All he thought about was the fact that he would be king when Father passed. I was the rightful heir but women were not allowed to serve as queen without being married, so the task fell to him.

I glared at him, my brow in a deep furrow. "I hate you."

"Oh, well I love you too, dear sister," he said with a sinister grin.

Turning on my heel I lifted my skirt and ran down the corridor to my chambers, the sobs coming louder than before. My shoes slapped against the stone, the rush of air that followed me extinguishing a candle and causing the tapestry hung outside my door to wave. My hands fumbled with the latch, tears blinding my ability to see correctly. I barely made out the black iron against the wood it was set in. The door squeaked as it opened and I drew my arm across my face, wiping away the tears and falling back on the door as it shut.

"Oh, dear..." Isabel rushed to my side and I draped myself over her. She helped me to my bed where I collapsed into a heap. The chambermaid rushed around the room collecting a glass of water and a handkerchief. "Anora, what is the matter? Oh goodness."

I sobbed, curling into a ball, not caring about the impropriety of having shoes on in my bed or the fact that I had completely disrespected my brother, who was acting as king while my father ailed. I would certainly hear about that later.

"He's dying!" I couldn't control the grief spewing from my mouth, but Isabel knew exactly how to handle me. She forced me to take the handkerchief but set the water on my nightstand, then she curled herself around me, holding me against her body.

"Shhh, it's okay. I'm here." She pulled the blonde strands out of my face and kissed my cheek softly. "I'm here. It's going to be alright."

"It's not. Father is dying; the plaith doesn't even know what it is. He said by the wolf moon Father will be gone." I held her arm tightly against my chest. "He can't die, Isa. William will become king. You know what that means for us."

Her soft kisses rained on my cheek, comforting me. "I know you're scared. The plaith will find a way."

"He won't. He has no way!" I didn't like that I snapped at her, but she didn't understand.

"There might be a way." Isabel clutched my hand, holding me more tightly. Her words softened my heart. I turned, lying on my back next to her, staring up into her eyes.

"What way?" I searched her expression, trying to determine what she meant. She was no healer. She hadn't heard what the plaith said. If he didn't know what it was, he wouldn't know how to treat it. He'd tried everything and the sickness just kept getting worse.

"There is a woman who... well, she does magic."

I gasped and sat up, jumping off the bed to get away from her as quickly as I could. "A witch?" I backed away. Even the mention of magic inside the walls of Grafburg was punishable by death. I said nothing more, just stared at her calmly sliding from the bed. She sat on the edge, straightening her skirt. The deep red of her dress clashed with the purple fabric of my quilt, her toes barely touching the floor.

"You know your mother is not really your mother." Her chin remained tucked to her chest, her eyes scanning the wooden floor. She was avoiding my gaze.

"Of course, I do. I learned that last summer. My mother died in childbirth with Evan." I trembled, fearing that William stood outside my door listening to her words. If she spoke of the witch, of magic, he'd come and have her removed. I needed Isabel now more than any other time in my life.

"Yes, well she didn't die in childbirth. She traded her life for that of her son. My mother's mother told me this story. That the witch helped your real mother trade her life to save Evan and in doing so enraged the king. He banished her and thus removed magic from all of Kilnshire." As her face turned upward to meet my gaze, her bottom lip trembled. "Evan would have died. The witch saved him. She can do the same for your father. I know it."

The news overwhelmed me, whether it was due to the stress of learning that my father was dying, or the fact that maybe there was an answer, or perhaps it was the way that she spoke of using magic as if it were an everyday occurrence here in Grafburg. I felt my knees go weak and before I hit the ground, Isabel was there, holding me again. Her arms held me up, and I regained my balance, staring up into her eyes.

"But magic is banned. The risk we'd take to make that happen--"

"Is no different than the risk we take every day." Her lips pressed against mine in a cautious but compassionate way. She pulled away and smiled. "We've been secreting away for more than a year, Anora. No one has found out about us. What makes you think they will even care what you're doing? The entire kingdom's eyes will be on your father. No one will be watching you."

"But the witch is banished. No one knows where she is. She left Grafburg after the angry mobs chased her away--her and that man she turned to a beast." I shook, thinking just how dangerous it would be to search for her. Not only was she a powerful woman, but the man-wolf she had was terrifying. He'd tormented the Cerenian Forest and mountains for as long as I could remember. The childhood stories weren't just stories. I'd seen the claw marks on men's backs after returning from a hunt and being attacked.

"I will help you find her." Isabel kissed me again, this time a hungrier kiss, the sort that made my insides melt and my body respond to her. "Now let me help you relax a bit, and we can talk about the plan to find the witch and cure your father." Her kissed returned, deepening against my lips. Each time this happened my body flooded with a mixture of excitement and anxiety, the fear of getting caught coupled with the rush of intimate connection with her.

"I want you..." Isabel whispered. I felt her fingers untying the laces on the back of my dress. They worked dexterously, undoing my gown and pulling it down over my shoulders until my arms were bare and my dress clung to my hips. The corset I wore kept my body covered, but her greedy hands wouldn't relent.

I moaned softly as she yanked at the laces to the corset, freeing me from the bondage of the soft cotton material. I breathed freely the moment she pulled away and tossed it onto my bed. "Isa, it's the middle of the day. What if someone comes knocking." I rested my hands on her shoulders as she bent, taking my right nipple into her mouth. She fondled my breasts before pushing my gown to the floor in a heap. I felt exposed, my upper half bare to the chill of the room, her lips creeping across my navel.

"Shhh, just relax..." Isabel dropped to her knees, untying my pantaloons, and pushing them downward. She kissed my hip, then drew her tongue across my thigh as she pushed the pantaloons to the floor.

"Blessed mother..."I panted.

Isabel looked up at me grinning. Her hands rested on my thighs, the glint in her eye as mischievous as I'd ever seen it. "Please, can I help you relax?" She batted her eyelashes at me leaning forward. I nodded, biting my lip and waiting for her to touch me again.

Her hands forced my legs apart, and I took a step the side to keep my balance, leaning on her shoulders for support.

Isabel touched me, separating the soft folds of skin between my legs and pushing her fingers into me. I arched my head back, gasping quietly as she curled her fingers, massaging my insides. I wanted to groan, to dig my fingers into her skin and cry out, but I knew William was just down the hall. Or he had been when I'd run off. I held it together fairly well until her tongue began searching me and she sucked at my moisture.

"_____, Isa..." I panted again, my body curling downward. The sensations of pleasure shot up my back, down my inner thighs. She would bring me to climax if she continued this, and I wasn't protesting her.

Until I heard footsteps approaching.

"Someone's coming!" I hissed, pulling away. My clothing lay on the floor, Isabel on her knees, her face glistening with my moisture. The footsteps drew nearer and I scrambled for some way to cover myself and explain what was happening. To be caught like this would mean banishment or worse.

Isabel bolted to her feet, wiping her face on the back of her sleeve. She had a devilish grin as she tossed me a towel and picked up the sponge out of my washbasin just as a knock came at the door. It swung open without announcement and William barged in. Isabel looked shocked, her eyebrows high as she covered her mouth to feign surprise.

I turned my back, my buttocks exposed but the front of my body at least hidden from view as I struggled to untangle the towel and cover myself.

"William! I'm not decent!" I looked over my shoulder at his reddening face. He turned toward the window and fixed his gaze and Isabel silently snickered, moving my direction with the wet sponge in hand. "What in the kingdom are you just barging into my room for?"

"Apologies, Sir William, Lady Anora was so overcome with grief that she vomited on her gown and I urged her to allow me to bathe her so she might grieve more comfortably." Isabel kept her eyes fixed to William as she approached, and I shook the towel out, expanding it to its full length to wrap around my body.

I glanced back at William, who remained with his eyes fixed on the window as Isabel pushed the sponge between my legs and rubbed me. I nearly groaned out with pleasure but instead I bit down on her shoulder.

"I came to see if you were okay... and clearly your chambermaid has seen to that already. Dinner will be held as normal in the hall. I expect you'll be present." William walked cautiously toward the door, keeping his back toward us. For that I was grateful because with Isabel washing my nether region with the soap she purchased in the market, there was no denying the way she made me feel.

"Dinner as normal... thank you," I struggled out before he left. And barely had the door shut before my body gave in, the waves of climax claiming me like the grief that tried to steal across my heart only moments ago.

"Very good girl, Anora. Just let me help you relax." Isabel rubbed harder, the towel falling away as I lost myself in the moment. She knew how to make me feel better in every way, and if William knew, we'd both be thrown out, but for now, I allowed my body to feel what it felt and enjoy the arms of the woman I had such deep feelings for, even if it was forbidden.

Chapter 2

Winter

I tied the last bit of cording around the final soap, placing it alongside the others in the crates stacked by the front door of my cabin. I was exhausted after a long day of preparation for the market in Grafburg. My body ached; my fingers were almost numb from working so hard. The room would have to wait for a good cleaning until I returned, or perhaps Harvard would take care of it for me.

I collapsed into a seat at the table and picked a fig from the bowl situated on its center. The chewy fruit was sweet, attempting to reinvigorate my energy. My bones cried for rest but there were yet a few chores for me to accomplish before nodding off for the night, including making tea and setting it aside for while I was gone. I could still hear the faint sound of wood being chopped coming from the pasture where Harvard worked with his ax. He never tired of his physical labor, something I wish I could say about myself.

I enjoyed the fig and looked around at the mess I had to clean. Papers and bits of string were strewn about haphazardly. My herbs and bits of foliage left from soap making still lay at the end of the table nearest the fireplace, which held a crackling fire despite it being Sturgeon Moon. I used my iron pot to mix my soaps, the heat necessary to keep everything mixed perfectly before pouring the concoction into molds. I worked all week to make the soaps, lotions, perfumes, and even teas before traveling each week to the city to sell them.

I'd return on the seventh day to clean up and start again. It had been this way for decans now, though before the soaps I'd had a pretty normal life within the castle walls. The thought of that life always brought a heaviness to my heart, but I dared not forget it. When history is forgotten it gets repeated, and pain that grave should never be suffered twice.

My eyes turned up to the mantle above the firebox where a single lock of strawberry hair curled around the blue ribbon it was tied with. A token of a life long gone and still missed. My heart no longer ached the way it used to, but the emptiness had never been filled, not even when Harvard became my partner in all things. Love like that only happens once in a lifetime, but I had lost it through no fault of my own.

The door creaked and I turned to see him enter carrying a stack of wood in his arms. "Got some more for you." He used his foot to push the door shut behind himself and limped over to the fire, setting the wood in the iron grate he'd crafted for me.

"Ah." I popped to my feet, shuffling over to help him as a log dropped to the floor and rolled away. "I'm all finished for the night. Looks like you could use a cup." I could see the evidence of his transformation, the bulge in his pants, the ache in his step.

"Yes, well I was thinking maybe..." He straightened, letting his words fall free and float to my ears. I nodded knowingly and laid the log I retrieved on top of the pile. I'd let the fire choke itself out and start a new one day after tomorrow when I returned from the city.

"Is it that time again?" I dusted the dirt from my hands and faced him. He was covered in dirt and wood chips. His face glistened with perspiration, smudged with soil from his labor.

"If you're not favorable, I will wait." As always, his heart shown through. He was a good man, and deserved someone who would understand his situation, and I was to blame. Well, not entirely; he did have a choice in the matter, but it was experimental and he knew it.

"I gave you an oath, Havard, and I intend to keep it." I could see the way his eyes shimmered yellow. His shift would come and there would be a struggle to help him contain it again if I didn't help him, though I was still surprised that at my age he would still desire it of me. I was no spring chicken. My silver hair--though silver since we met--wasn't the only indication of my age. I was just old, much older than him, much older than everyone.

"Should I wash up?"

"Let's enjoy dinner." I smiled at him. The longer he let his body work out the spell the more he would enjoy his release when it happened. I knew he couldn't wait until morning let alone seventh day. It was tonight or I'd be hunting him through the pine instead of making soaps for next week.

He nodded, walking to the washbasin to wash his hands. I busied myself with preparing a plate of food for him--salted meat, figs, a bit of sourdough bread, and a glass of wine. I also poured a cup of tea, though I sat it to the side for later. He was eager to receive the food, seated at the table watching me as I prepared it. The cabin was small but full of life. I had to move a few plants out of the way to make space to cut the bread, and when I set the glass of wine down I forgot where I put it, so I had to search amongst the remnants of my work only to find it had gotten covered by a towel somehow.

"You don't have to continue with our agreement, Winter. It's been four decans, though you're still just as beautiful as ever in spite of your age. You've repaid any debt you had to me, though I never considered it a debt, not after how you saved Eloise." He picked at the food, quietly glancing at me every so often. It hadn't felt like four decans, though I'd been here nearly that before I even met him, more if you count my life in the city. The fire crackled and I looked at it, then turned back to Harvard.

"Well, Mr. Thane, you are the only partner I have, and our love is strong, though maybe not the sort you hoped for. We built it on mutual respect and love. I'm as young at heart as the day I met you, so don't let my aging appearance fool you." Winking at him, I took his glass of wine and had a sip then handed it back to him. "Romantic love may never again happen for either of us, but so long as you desire to drink the tea and I am alive to offer it, my oath remains."

He took a bite of the meat and nodded. I saw the way the skin on his palms was darker, a shade of gray to match the hue beneath his fingernails which had already started to curve into a point a the tip of each finger. His tea was wearing off, and before midnight he'd take his true form--a form I'd brought upon him by failing to use my power correctly. I'd never forgiven myself for that.

"I'm more than just a mistake, you know?" He chewed carefully and swallowed his meat, washing it down with a gulp of wine. The stubble on his face hid the dimples on his cheeks but I knew they were there when he smiled. "You have no obligation to pleasure me."

12