My Solemn Oath Pt. 04

Story Info
Trading my forbidden love to save my dying father.
5.5k words
3.75
1k
2
0

Part 4 of the 4 part series

Updated 04/17/2024
Created 03/29/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 7

Anora

Poached eggs were my least favorite food, though the crisp strips of bacon managed to redeem breakfast. I sat across the table from my brother and stepmother, three of her sons and my younger half-sister who, at the age of thirteen was already looking for a suitor. I endured Catherine's relentless ire on that topic, a means by which she elevated her daughter to a status above me in my father's eyes, but I knew William and I were solidly valued above all of her children. My mother was my father's one true love, and he'd taken Lady Catherine only as a means of pleasing the people.

I ate in quiet, though the raucous laughter of the younger boys a constant irritant. At twenty, I should have been settled into a home with a husband, bearing him children. Instead, I lingered in my father's house, suffering the youth of someone else's children. There was but one mercy in all of this, that because of my status of eldest in the kingdom, I was not required to care for the bastards. I sighed into my plate and stabbed my fork into the bacon, watching Catherine scold her oldest son for eating with his hands like an animal. Marisol snickered at her older brother and met my eyes with a glare. I knew she didn't like me; she didn't care for William either.

"I'm quite finished, Mother," Jessup said, standing.

"Be seated until you're excused. Thank you." I had to give her credit; Catherine was very good with her rowdy sons. And I didn't dislike her, but she often tried to play the part of my mother, which never got her far.

"I'll see myself out," I said, standing. "Do have a delicious breakfast." I winked at Marisol, certain it ruffled her feathers that I could come and go as I pleased and she was still a child in submission to authority. William stood and followed after me, hastening his steps to catch up.

"Where are you off to today?" He fell into step beside me as I exited the dining hall and turned toward my chamber. We walked along the eastern corridor where arched windows lined the hallway allowing sunlight to shine in and spotlight the banners of the kingdom.

"I am visiting the library. The plaith has come up empty handed where it concerns father's ailment, and I will search for an answer. I can't sit back idly and watch him suffer and die. If he were to have another stroke, it could mean the end." I lifted my skirts higher and stepped lively. Father's life was more important to me than anything now, because without him, William would rule the kingdom, and I knew it would not be good for those within this castle, nor would the people be pleased.

He grabbed my elbow and yanked me around so hard I almost lost my balance. My skirt swished out, swinging back into place as I righted myself and wrested my arm from his grip. "Why did you do that?"

"Father is dying and you'd rather run to the library instead of sitting at his side?" His glare seared through my skin. "His dying moments could be spent alone and you think that's okay?"

"I think--" I collected myself, taking a deep breath to calm my voice "--that if I can find a cure, he will not die. And thus, your moping by his bedside will have been pointless. He shall live, and moreover he shall be displeased that you have thought to give in to this sickness rather than fight against it." I turned and continued walking.

"I know about Isabel."

His word was a dagger in my back. I didn't react as he thought perhaps I would, but I did slow my pace, turning to stop and stare at him with confusion. "What do you mean?"

William advanced on me--glare in his eye, teeth gritted, jaw clenched. I noticed his hands were turned to fists and he hunched over like a madman. It was very uncomely, the way his royal robe crinkled around his shoulders and chest. The Grafburg crest nearly folded in half, the purple and blue kissing each other.

"I mean, there is quite the rumor going around." He straightened, and relaxed his face, taking on an accusatory look.

"What rumors are these?" My heart was racing, blood thrumming past my eardrums methodically. I had been careful; we had been careful. There was no way Isabel would out me. In doing so she would have damned herself to banishment or death, and she knew I'd only receive a chastisement the first time or perhaps reformatory school, exorcism, or purification rites.

"Don't play the fool, Anora Annalyse Ameross. You know well what I'm talking about. The sapphists have gotten to you both. Admit it."

I felt my blood boiling, the hint of it in my cheeks a means to give me away. I scowled at him, taking a step back. My reaction to this accusation would determine my future for certain.

"What proof have you? You know nothing. Rumors start all the time, like when the head cook travelled to Kilnshire market to purchase the chickens because the farmer in Grafburg suffered a loss and the people thought he was visiting a mistress." I dropped my skirt and folded my hands in front of myself, standing erect. I would not cower to his insulting attack.

"There are those who suspect Isabel of the crime against this kingdom, and I've seen you in your room and--"

I scoffed, laughing off his evidence. "As if you don't bathe with your chambermaids at times. Isabel is my lady in waiting. Without her help, how should I bathe myself? Do you not require assistance to do so? And what about the times you've been seen actively molesting your chambermaids?" I could see I was ruffling his feathers a bit. "Should I bring an accusation against you of impropriety? Should you therefore be put into the stockade because your hands greedily wander the curves of those who serve you?"

I scowled at him who had no response but a languid stare. My chest felt like an explosion were about to happen inside my ribcage, the pressure so intense my ears began to ring.

"I--"

"You have no proof." I cut him off, not allowing him to speak. One full year my junior, he still had to listen to me until such time my father died and he took the throne, at which point I would be in dire straits. "So I beg pardon, but I'm attending the library now. I have research to do."

I hiked my skirts and whipped around, marching down the corridor away from him. He stood there like a scolded child, watching after me. As I turned the corner to mount the stairs, I looked back at his glower. He wouldn't relent until he found me out, so it meant I had to be much more careful in my dealings with Isabel. I took the stairs two at a time until I was at my chamber door, where I stopped and caught my breath, a hand pressed against my chest. My heart still raced.

"Where are you off to?" Isabel's voice frightened me and made me jump. She had no clue of what I'd just endured on her behalf, but she owed me.

"I'm going to the library to do some research on the witch." I pushed past her into my chamber and sat at my vanity. The house slippers wouldn't do. I needed my boots. Isabel hovered over me, handing me one boot at a time while taking my slippers.

"You think that's a good idea?"

"I think my father is dying and if he wants to live, there is a chance. When I stood outside their door, I heard them talk about 'her' and I know they meant the witch. She is real, and she is out there. And I will find her, bring her here, and make her heal my father." I lashed the boots on my feet myself instead of waiting for Isabel who would normally do it for me.

As I rose, Isabel stood in my way. The door was open, and I was careful to navigate a path around her without touching her in case any eyes were watching. When I turned to say goodbye, her sullen eyes searched me, as if she were offended I had not greeted her physically.

"We will talk about this when I return, but you should be careful. One of your friends has accused you of being a sapphist." Isabel blanched. "And they have connected that to me somehow, which has brought an accusation against me via my brother's lips."

"Anora, I--"

"Are a charming young woman with a bright future, and whom I care for deeply. Let's talk about this later." I headed out the door into the damp corridor and down the stairs. Isabel and I would have to talk later, but right now I needed to get to the library and begin my research.

My guard stood near the back door of the kitchen, clearly unaware that I had even finished my morning constitutional. I strolled past him and he scurried to keep up with me as my leather boots clicked on the cobblestone. It was warm for Sturgeon Moon, but I knew Full Corn was coming and with it rains and the chill of the season change. I hastened across the courtyard to the old stone building that housed the library. Black streaks from rains and weather marked the sides of the building, and the door squeaked on its hinges.

"Stay here," I ordered the guard as I swung the door open.

The library was dim, lit by only a few candles. There were no windows on the first floor; I never understood why. The musty smell of old books and dust hung in the air. "Hello?" I called, ambling in past rows of shelves that held books and scrolls. If the witch was real, there would be information on her in these books somewhere; I just knew it. "Hello..."

I tiptoed down a narrow row, drawing my finger across the spine of a few books that drew my interest. Some of them were in foreign languages, but others' titles intrigued me. Father had a governess teach me to read and write. He said it was my mother's wish that I be educated. It wasn't exactly common to meet a woman who could read, so I cherished the ability.

Turning around the end of a shelf, I ran smack into a stand that held the bust of one of our previous kings. The bust wobbled on the stand, threatening to topple to the ground. I wrapped my arms around it and hugged it to my chest to stop it from falling, not realizing how heavy it was. I nearly fell over as someone behind me cleared their throat. I turned, bust still wrapped in my arms and saw the old man.

"Excuse me, Lady Anora, but that is not to be touched." His long grey beard hung down the center of his chest, cloak draped around his head so that only the tip of his nose and chin were visible. He took the bust from my arms as if it were nothing and set it back on the stand.

"I'm so sorry, sir." I dusted my hands along my gown but the guilty stain of near vandalism remained on my conscience.

"What brings you to the library? Your guard announced you."

I spun around, seeing that the guard had followed me into the library and now stood by the door watching me. Infuriating guards never did what I told them to. "Yes, well I am here to investigate something." The librarian began walking, and I followed down the row of books. As he walked he straightened things.

"Appears this place needs a good dusting again. Aye, well what sort of investigation? You want to learn to spin wool or sew some dresses? I have books on that right here." He gestured at a collection of books two rows over laid on the top of the shelf.

"Uh, no, sir. I want to learn about the witch."

At my word, he stopped dead in his tracks and spun around. "You must never speak of that in this place. The king has banished any mention of her here." His eyes flicked nervously at to the guard who remained standing at attention. He hadn't heard.

"Please, sir. It's for my father."

The librarian folded the hood of his cloak back so I could see his eyes. "Your father banished the witch and banned all practice of magic."

"He is dying," I hissed. "In case you were unaware, I am his daughter and I insist you tell me everything you know. If you know nothing, point me to the books and scrolls that have the information I need. I insist on it this instant."

The librarian chuckled and waved his hand. "Follow me. I'm well aware of who you are and I am also well aware of the consequences of this action." He clicked his tongue. "It must be quite dire if you are here doing research on your own. What does your brother have to say?"

I followed his half-shuffle walk away from the door and my guard until we came to rest beneath a large wooden archway with ornate carvings etched into his braces. Beneath it set an old crate.

"My brother is not my keeper." I stooped as he did to get a better look at the crate.

"Well the plaiths and the king's healer have already scoured the library looking for a solution. It is no secret that your father is ailing." His fat fingers pried at the lid of the crate until it popped loose and he stumbled backward. He set the lid aside and sorted through the scrolls and parchments extracting a cluster of thing yellowed sheets bound together with a leather cord.

As he straightened, I did too. "Now, if this were to fall into the wrong hands, it would mean dire consequences. Do you have a pocket in the fold of your skirt?"

"I do." I held my hand out, eager to see what he had.

"If anyone learns you have this, it will be my head. Do you understand?"

I nodded tritely and he placed the parchments in my hand. I wanted to unfurl them right there and read what they said, but as my fingers worked to untie the leather cord that held they closed, he stopped me. "It's the only information we have on the witch. Everything else has been stricken."

"Thank you," I said, bowing at the shoulder. I stuffed the bundle into my skirt and let myself out, my guard struggling to keep up again. I prayed the parchments contained what I needed.

Chapter 8

Winter

Harvard sipped the tea and watched me load my soaps and lotions into my crates. "Are you certain you're alright?" he asked. He had seen the blood on the bedsheets, lingering traces of the tear I'd gotten during his near assault.

"I'm fine." I smiled at him and placed my carefully wrapped packages in the crate in such a way as to get as many as possible in. I allowed the tea leaves to soak much longer this time, having infused the marinade with almost twice as much of my magic as usual. It would be strong enough for a few moons hopefully.

I thought of how his curse was accelerating, as if the magic I'd infused into his body years ago had a mind of its own. The balancing act between the previous magic and the magic I provided for him today was so delicate, if we weren't careful he would begin regressing in age, while still transforming into the wolf-man who scared everyone, myself included.

"You should consider the weather, Winter. I've felt the winds shift. We are going to have a storm." Harvard was Harvard again, human skin, normal hazel eyes. The gray hair at his temple was the only trace of the wolf in him now. I felt confident leaving him here while I traveled. "And you should be careful. You're not the elderly widow the town thinks you anymore. You know how they treat women."

"Of course, Harvard. I understand the dangers." I did too. I was taking a risk reentering the city as Winter, the young woman who broke the king's heart. But it had been two decans. I felt confident that so long as I kept my hair tied up under this kerchief that no one would recognize me. The difficulties would be in whether they even let me through gate without an escort. Women were not to go unattended in the city except to market. Even then, I had to have a male with me to enter.

"I worry about you." He set his tea down as I put the last of my serums in the final crate. "You know I care for you a great deal."

"I know you do." I cupped his cheek and patted it. "And nothing is changing, okay? I am still keeping my oath to you." I hefted the crate and headed for the door. "Who knows. Perhaps I will find a woman who will understand you and find a place in her heart to love you the way you deserve."

He didn't speak, and I let myself out, heading for the wagon where Jarek was hitched already. It was yet dark, dawn only a figment of the mountain's imagination. If I wanted to enter the city before the chaos began, I needed an early start. I was situating the crate amongst the others in the wagon when Harvard came carrying the final crate to load.

"I'll be back this evening. If weather turns, I may stay in the city. Care for the animals. Try to wrestle the weeds away from our guests. They deserve the same respect as you." I glanced at my collection of statues. Harvard knew what I meant. "And please remember the tea. One cup at night, one in the morning."

"Be safe. Keep to the main roads. Avoid the bandits." He offered a weak smile and I climbed on the wagon and sat, untying Jarek's reins. With a nod I was off. It was never a sentimental or intimate goodbye, though I thought at times he wished it were.

We rumbled down the road toward Grafburg, crates clacking together, and Jarek's hooves on the dry earth the only sounds. Even the birds were quiet, long after sunrise. Harvard was right. There was a storm brewing, which meant a stay away from home. By the time the sun was lighting our path, we were nearing the city gates. I could smell the smoke in the air, blacksmiths and bakers. It wouldn't be long and every home would have smoke rising from it's hearth.

Next came the sounds of the city, shouts and the tower bell announcing the hour. I would round the corner and see the flags flying and the gate. I stopped for a moment to collect my thoughts. I needed a way in, and that meant an escort. Kari never needed one, but Kari, my pseudonym, had been an old widow. Winter, my real identity, was a young woman with raven locks who had been banished. I knew one of the reasons the king demanded all women to have said escort was to reduce the probability that I could reenter the city.

"You there," a guard shouted from the wall, "state your business."

I calmly took a breath and blew it out. It was time to approach the gate. "Here for the market. Looking for Everett Bane. He's meeting me." It was a natural instinct to call for him. Not only did I know he was very helpful and would truly watch over me, but he had raging hormones and would cater to any beautiful woman who batted her eyelashes at him. Even if they called him and he came to the gate and questioned me, I knew a little flirting would get me in.

"Stay here, aye." The guard turned and spoke to someone standing beneath him out of view. I settled myself to wait, but the wait was short-lived. After only a few minutes Everett's face appeared through the small door next to the shuttered gate. "Bane, you know this 'ere woman?"

Everett examined me from a distance and looked confused. I smiled at him, looking up at him through my dark lashes. "Kari says hello, Everett. I am her granddaughter, here to sell her soaps."

I watched his eyes study Jarek for a moment and he turned to the guard. "Aye, sir. I know her." He eyed me still as the guards opened the gate, and I snapped Jarek's reins. I had some explaining to do, but Everett was an easy sell. He stepped onto the side of the wagon and held on as I maneuvered it toward the court square, and once we were out of earshot of the guards, he asked, "Where's Kari?"

"Grandmother is sick, so she sent me in her place. She told me to call for you and that you'd help me for a few coppers." I batted my eyelashes, letting Jarek do most of the work. He knew the way as well as I did, so I could focus my attention on Everett and convincing him of the new reality.

"Ah, your grandmother is a very wise woman, indeed." He winked at me and cocked his head. "Have you been to Grafburg before?"

"Only a few times when I was younger. You'll help me set up and show me around?" I batted my eyelashes again; he seemed a fool for it.

"Of course, and maybe afterward, we can enjoy some stew together." Everett's eyes flashed with lust and I knew exactly what he meant by the word "stew." I'd forgotten exactly how horny and promiscuous a young man could be.

"I will think about eating dinner with you." I played naïve and focused on the road ahead. Jarek stopped right where our normal merchant stand was, and Everett hopped off the wagon. In only a few minutes he had the tables out and set up. I draped cloths over them and as he unloaded crates, I laid out my soaps. I was tired from the long ride into town, so I stacked a few crates up and sat down.

12