Naples, Missouri

Story Info
The town and the girl who captured my heart.
7.2k words
4.69
12.4k
14
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Don't worry, by the time anyone engages in anything, we're eighteen and/or over.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Somewhere on Highway 60 in southwest Missouri, lying linearly between Joplin and Springfield but not quite halfway, you'll find Campania County -- fitting, since Campania is Italian for 'countryside,' and Missouri doesn't get much more rural than this. To give you an idea of how far southwest we are, we're two counties north of Arkansas, two counties southeast of Kansas, and two counties northeast of Oklahoma.

The county seat is Naples, population about seventeen hundred; here, in the early fall of 1956, is where everything began which led to today. On the first day of that year's first grade, two farm boys -- Jack Kelley and Gilbert Swindon -- became fast friends and would remain so throughout high school and past it. Their graduation, however, would see them on different paths. Since this was now 1968, with the Vietnam War in full swing, Gil decided not to wait to be drafted; he enlisted in the Marines, serving a two-year tour before returning to Naples and marrying his high school sweetheart, Marlee McCord.

Jack, meanwhile, had other ideas. While he admired his friend's decision, he did not share it; as valedictorian of their class, he wanted to take his hard work and grades to a different level. Figuring Uncle Sam's chain was best left unrattled, Jack waited to see if he would be drafted (spoiler: he managed never to be), and no place suited his waiting so well as the University of Missouri at Columbia. He chose mechanical engineering for a major, graduating in 1972; the previous Christmas, he met a sophomore psychology major named Rebecca Francis. She came from Heidelberg, a middle-class suburb of St Louis, and was as much a part of her environment as Jack was of his; nonetheless, they were soon inseparable. Two years after they met, he proposed and she accepted.

Rebecca graduated on a Saturday in May 1974, and married Jack the following Friday. Nine months and two days later, I came along.

My name's Jason Kelley. Pleased to meet you.

Dad quickly made himself at home in Heidelberg, but always felt himself to have a home-away-from-home in Naples, where Grandpa Jack and Grandma Fiona welcomed us every time, and so did the Swindons. In the fall of 1976, Mom and Mrs Swindon became closer friends, since both were pregnant at the same time. Mom was expecting my brother Aaron, born in June 1977, and Mrs Swindon followed a month later with a daughter she would name Emily. Emily would be an only child, while Mom and Dad would follow with Trevor by the time I was four. I always enjoyed the trips down to Naples to see Grandma and Grandpa, the time on the road, the reading of green signs along Interstate 44; once I turned about thirteen or fourteen, however, I began to live for them, because that's when I realized I had a crush on a Naples girl, and not just any girl -- you guessed it. Emily Swindon.

On a Sunday a year or so into this crush, when I was fifteen to her thirteen or thereabouts, I complimented her on the not-quite-knee-length blue floral dress she had worn to the church we both attended. She smiled and said, "Aww thanks, that's sweet!" As she said it, she took my hand, then whispered in my ear, "I do it for you, you know." She then let go of my hand, but not without a quick but gentle kiss on my lips; I leaned in, to let her know I felt the same. As she walked back to her parents' car, she smiled at me again. I could have flown back to Heidelberg.

And that, for the next few years, is where things stood -- and by 'stood,' I mean 'stood still as a stone.' There wasn't much opportunity for me to date her when I was in town, and the school year saw us five hours away. Aaron and Trevor would not come to be interested in her, and I never held much hope that she would be mine; surely she would go along with some Naples guy, and that would be the end of that. She'd smile to see me, hug me like an old friend, but I never thought anything would ever come of us. With my mind so set, I concentrated on my schoolwork and went on to Columbia upon graduation. Mom and Dad didn't have to pressure me to go there; I'd bled black and gold my whole life and (as you might guess) had come by that honestly. Moreover, Mizzou had what I wanted: an agribusiness major, as I had acquired an affinity for helping Grandma and Grandpa out with aspects of keeping the farm's records straight. I was the only one of my brothers or cousins who wanted to take on the responsibility, and that included the cousins in and near Campania County; let's face it, running a farm is a lot of work, but I learned to thrive on it. More to the point, Grandpa Jack passed away shortly after Mom and Dad's twentieth wedding anniversary in May 1994; someone needed to help Grandma Fiona run things, and so I began to learn.

A year later, I had come 'home,' if you will, to Naples for the summer, at my choice. I had kept my mind on the farm and my studies, being two years away from graduation; to this point, affairs of the heart weren't on the agenda, and wouldn't be for a while yet.

Or so I thought.

After church one Sunday morning in July of that year, Mr and Mrs Swindon approached Grandma and me, asking if we'd like to go right out to lunch with them, to a mom-and-pop family restaurant in town. Grandma said a more polite and reseved Yes, while I jumped at my Yes. I then spoke up about the reason and the occasion.

"Happy birthday!" That's right. Emily was turning eighteen today.

After her "Aww thanks!" and the adults' playful, condescending "Now now"s, we were off. Over dinner, the conversation was light, keeping mostly to how the summer was going and the farms were looking to do; that is, it kept that way until I felt a nudge at my feet, and something brushing my hand -- a piece of paper. I went to open it, but Emily shook her head, silently mouthing the word 'later.' I went about the rest of my meal, wondering what she meant; after we finished, she smiled. "When you get home." I slipped it back in my pocket until then.

Once I was alone, I read it:

"Jason,

I don't know how to tell you this, except to tell you:

I have a thing for you, and I have for a while now.

If you feel like I do, let me know this way; it's got to be this way, because Mom and Dad will see and hear us if we're farther out in the open. So just let me know, and we'll see where it goes.

Emily"

On one hand, I felt like a naughty third-grader, passing notes this way and hoping not to be caught; on the other, it confirmed what I had hoped ever since that kiss we shared those years gone by. I quickly dashed off this reply, which I would hand to her this evening at church:

"My dear Emily,

Yes, I do feel that way, and have for the same time. When can I tell you this in person and not with these notes? Please let me know.

Your Jason"

Never had I meant anything so much in my life as the "My dear Emily" and "Your Jason." I was able to accost her before services and to hand her this note, hoping for a prompt reply. I wasn't disappointed; this is what I read at home that night.

"I'm really your 'dear Emily?' I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!!' Here she had drawn two hearts.

'Are you busy tomorrow morning? Meet me by the fencerow after breakfast.

My dear Jason has made me one happy birthday girl.'

I was her Jason, and at that moment, the happiest man on earth.

As to the fencerow -- the Swindons lived a mile from us, each on eighty-acre plots measuring half a mile north and south by a quarter mile east and west. We faced one county road and they faced another, but our properties abutted each other, separated by a quarter mile of fencerow which ended in a small stand of trees near the north-south road. I immediately came up with a ruse about seeing if the fence needed shoring up; thankfully, Grandma Fiona bought it when I presented it at breakfast. I made my way out to the fence as quickly as I could, finding it in good form and in no immediate need of repairs. At that moment, a voice called out from the stand of trees.

"Over here!"

There she was and on time, as she had promised she would be. My Emily. Checkered blouse, jeans, five-three, a buck fifteen, and what I perceived to be brown hair and blue eyes; the same as mine, except I don't wear glasses. (For what it's worth, I'm five-ten, and at the time weighed one-seventy-eight, mostly solid.) I made my way to her and took her hands in mine.

"Feels good to ... see you ... you look ... great," I said. Twenty that I was, Emily had a way of tying my tongue when I was around her.

"You too, big boy." She eagerly took my hands in hers. "Remember that girl who kissed you when she was thirteen?"

"I'll never forget her," I smiled.

"She may look a little different, but deep down, she's still the same me."

I pulled her close and gave her a bigger kiss. "And I'm still the same me. Deep down, that is -- my outside's a little different too, though." We shared a laugh.

I wanted to offer a hint, but before I could, Emily read me. She crossed over to me and put her arms around me, and I did right back. As the saying goes, we didn't just do something -- we stood there; about a minute in, she rested her head where my chest and right shoulder meet. At length, she spoke.

"I've felt this way for a long time, and I can feel that you do too ... I feel it in your heartbeat, in feeling safe here in your arms .. Jason, I ... I have something to tell you."

"If it's what I hope it is, I have something to tell you right back."

She looked up at me, smiling softly. "You first."

"No no, ladies first. Besides, you brought it up." And she had, in more ways than one.

"All right, you got me ... Jason Kelley, I ... I ... " She stammered for a few seconds, then kissed me again. "I love you!"

I kissed back, holding for ten seconds before coming up for air. "And I love you, Emily Swindon." I paused for a moment. "You know, I've never ... had what you ... might call a girlfriend ..." This was true; I'd only been on a few dates in Columbia, but never more than two with any given girl. I was much more practiced at being a wingman than a boyfriend. Then again, a woman can tell when a man's heart isn't in enjoying her company, and every girl I'd encountered in Columbia could read that on me. I might have been there, but my heart had been in Naples.

"Yeah, I know the feeling ... went on a date or two, and a couple years ago I went to prom with a guy who asked." My face fell, and my heart sank a little. "Oh don't worry, nothing happened. He was a nice guy, and I went with him to be polite and not disappoint him --" here, she kissed me lightly -- "but my heart was up there with you." She looked into my eyes. "It's wherever you are."

"And mine with you," I replied; I then paused briefly, long enough for reality to set back in. "Can it be with me in the doings I gotta do? I need to get back to them, can't make Grandma suspicious."

"It can be with you in your doings -- and it will." She kissed me again. "Same time tomorrow?"

I gave her one last hug for what we will, for these purposes, call the road. "It's a date."

"I'll be there!"

Thus going our separate ways until then, I had to think of how to work faster and more efficiently, so that Grandma Fiona wouldn't suspect that I was spending my time as I was. I spent the rest of the day practicing, and the night thinking about it as I fell asleep.

Next morning, I hurried up with breakfast and got to the stand of trees. Emily, true to her word, was waiting for me with another big kiss, after which she stepped out of my arms and faced toward the Swindon side of the property; I would soon learn why.

"So tell me, Jason Kelley ... what color is my hair?"

"Uhh ... brown, isn't it?"

"And my eyes?"

"Blue. Makes us a matched set!" I offered brightly.

She stood with her hands in mine, talking as though she'd won an award. "I'd like to thank God, and Mom and Dad for what they gave me ... and ..." She blew a raspberry. "The Missouri DMV, for having no imagination and taking the path of least resistance."

I laughed a little. "How's that?"

"My driver's license. They put down brown and blue, when I'm not." I now saw she was carefully standing so that the sunshine was behind her, strategically placed. "And so I ask you again -- what color are they."

Though her hair was still mostly brown, I watched the sunlight burnish the ends into something not quite a full red or an auburn. It was both at once, simultaneously deepening the chestnut one might take it for at first blush. I described this to her in that and richer detail.

She smiled, then took off her glasses. "And my eyes?"

To look at them from an approaching angle, they were a calming blue-gray; when I viewed them full on, however, the sun worked its magic. One moment, they were brighter blue; the next, green seas with islands in both calming colors. I held her closely. "You're the only person I know whose eyes are three colors," and I told her in detail.

"I like auburn and green the best." She put her glasses back on and kissed the end of my nose; for the next couple minutes, we stood holding each other, the only nearby sounds being the songs of birds and our beating hearts.

At length, I turned to her, kissing her lips. "Gotta get back to it, babe."

'Yeah, I know," she said with a disappointment which gave way to encouragement. "But look for me here again?"

"I sure will." With another kiss, I spoke up and deepened the direction we were going. "I love you ... Emily Ann."

"Hey, whoa, how'd you -- how do you know my middle name?"

"Oh, come on, I learned it when I was a little kid. And if I hadn't learned it there, it was on your announcements and your graduation program a couple months ago."

"Yeah, you're right ... but hey, fair's fair. What's yours, I don't remember ..."

"Thaddeus."

She kissed me one more time before turning to go. "I love you too, ya big Thad."

For the next week or so, our mornings went this way -- except, of course, for Sundays. We didn't have the temerity to sit beside each other in church; not only were we not yet willing to take that public step as a couple, but we knew our thoughts would be on the kind of things unwelcome in a church. We did, however, still pass notes to each other. I would sign mine "I love you," whereas Emily had a clever idea of her own. She did not sign "I love you," but did get that message across by writing out "Your Emily," then underlining the letters I-L-Y. One Wednesday night as we were leaving, she brought me a note reading:

'Got a question for you. Answer tomorrow?'

I wasn't going to miss this at all. Any questions she had, I would try to answer.

My heart was going so fast the next morning as almost to get there ahead of me. After our usual morning kiss, Emily's smile turned serious.

"You told me you've been on a few dates -- up in Columbia, right?"

I wasn't going to lie about it. "Ee-yeah. Not many, though."

"And did you and these girls ever ... well ... you know what I'm asking, don't you?"

"You're asking if I ..."

She held me with her arms around my waist. "Have you ever ... you know ... been with a girl."

"No, never." I looked away, embarrassed.

"You sure? I mean, there's all those girls up there, and Heidelberg too." This was a fair point -- with six hundred seniors in my class alone, Heidelberg High School's combined top three grades were bigger than the whole of the town of Naples. If I had wanted to, I could easily have crossed that line in either place -- if I had wanted to.

The only response I had was a good old-fashioned Naples-ism. "That's the God's honest truth." I wouldn't think of telling her anything different.

Her voice got a little lower and sadder. "But you wanted to, didn't you."

"Yeah." I kissed her forehead. "There's this one girl in particular --"

Before I could give a proper description, she sniffled, started crying, and turned away. "I knew it ... you don't have to say anything more ..."

"But I must."

"Oh yeah, who was she?"

"Was? Try is. "

"I'm listening."

'Yeah, there's this pretty little girl about five-three ... glasses ... mostly-brown hair to about her shoulder blades ... eyes that don't know what color they are from one minute to the next" -- and despite her tears, she gave a little laugh. "I'd have called her on the phone more often, but that's expensive from Columbia, because her phone number starts with area code 417 ..." She then turned back toward me, since 417 is the area code for southwest Missouri. "And she's crying like a cute, silly little goose because she doesn't recognize herself."

"You -- you mean me?" I nodded. "I'm the girl you ... you wanted to be with?"

This time, it was my turn to get teary-eyed. "For all these years."

She threw her arms around me and rested her head on my chest. "Oh, Jason ..."

"I was your Jason the moment you kissed me when I was fifteen."

"And I've been your Emily Ann since I kissed you when I was thirteen." She straightened up, her voice taking on a new resolve. "Tomorrow evening, just as it's starting to get dark. Right here."

"I will definitely be here." My mind rolled over possibilities, and I was enjoying each of them.

The rest of the next two days went as smoothly as they could; time was helping me figure out how to get through my farm doings without rushing through and missing vital steps, so as to cover my tracks.

Friday evening came around at last. As was her custom, Grandma Fiona lay down to nap shortly after dinner; as heavy a sleeper as she was, I knew I was home free. I grabbed a lantern and started the ten-minute hike to the stand of trees. Once I was there ...

"Jason, is that you?" The voice was unmistakably Emily's.

"The one and only, babe." I had on a white tee and jeans, but her shirt fit the occasion better. It was royal blue, Columbia blue, and white, and read "We are Lions, hear us roar!" This was her senior class shirt, as those are the colors and mascot of Naples High School.

"Hear us roar, I like that!" I smiled.

"Oh, we're going to, baby, don't you worry about that!" She leaned in, pressed her body flush against mine, and gave me the first French kiss of my life; instantly, I felt an erection starting to build, and build quickly.

After rolling my tongue around hers for a blissful eight seconds, I broke off and looked around nervously. "You sure?"

"Mom and Dad think I'm off in my room, blending into the woodwork as I usually do." She gave a little scoff. "I am ... just a different kind of woodwork, hmm?"

"Best kind of all."

I went to hold her, but she stopped me. "Uh-uh-uh, all in good time." She stepped back, slipped her Tshirt off, and I learned a new surprise on the spot.

All the years I'd known Emily, I had taken her for the conservative white bra type; tonight, she wasn't. Even by what fading daylight there was, I could tell it was darker by far.

"C'mon babe, shine me some light," Emily urged playfully before turning serious again. "You know, a woman can feel when a man's undressing her with his eyes ... the way you've been doing these last five years."

"That's me, guilty as charged."

"Well, don't you think you should see what you've been dreaming of?" And I did ... her breasts were comfortably ensconced in a satin bra of forest green. And while I could recognize extreme differences, such as between an A and a D, I didn't know from exact sizes, but exact sizes were irrelevant -- these belonged to my Emily Ann. I could have stood admiring them all night, but even with a smile on her lips and voice, she wasn't interested in having me stand around. "You gonna stare all night, or are you gonna actually touch me?"

No matter that I'd never done this before; I let instinct take over and rolled her left one around in my right hand. Underneath the fabric, I could feel her nipple getting hard and attentive.

12