Nature or Nurture Ch. 47

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But it is reality, for whatever is out there is getting really close now, and it is avoiding Vincent by coming from the back. Adison can distinguish one mind, eager to triumph, but not ready for opposition, not ready for action. How can those girls underestimate them again, after what happened last time?

Oh well, their problem, Adison's advantage.

Instead of using the door, a hand comes right through the back of the carriage, and Adison changes seats, facing the back wall, taking Catherine with her of course. She does not knock on the window to warn Vincent, why doesn't she? He'll be with her in seconds, and everything will be over.

Does she want to face this witch herself? Test herself? She is a priest after all.

After the one hand, the top of a head follows, slowly, sinuously. Adison has a gun, and she knows how to use it, she could shoot this creature straight in the head, but again she doesn't, telling herself it is illegal to just shoot people.

That is the worst argument she has ever used to herself, this thing is coming through a solid wall, human laws don't apply to it, she is within her rights to shoot it.

But she doesn't.

Is she under its spell? Or is she suffering from hubris, totally convinced she can handle it arcanely, eager to test herself against the enemy? Catherine is not afraid, not yet. Her little hand in Adison's is steady, and she not only watches the figure, but the rest of the carriage as well, keeping an eye out for other assailants. Wise girl.

Now the head comes through, and it seems surprised to find both of them watching her. So that slow emergence was not theatrics for their benefit, she was being circumspect to surprise them. Too bad, she failed.

Even now, Adison does not point her gun at the figure, but she does keep her mind on shields and fireballs. Next to her, Catherine pokes her and hisses in a low voice, as low as a toddler can manage, 'She looks just like them, but more powerful.'

Of course, sight, Catherine is way ahead of her in that. Using it, she can see the figure burning brightly, not as brightly as Catherine, though. Is the little girl working magic? She can't, can she?

The woman, it is clear she is a woman since she's altogether naked, but she has the same bare scalp, and is covered in scars as the first bunch reputedly was. Not very pretty, and exactly as they described them. She clearly does not expect any resistance, she probably expects them to scream and try to hide, but Adison is ready for her.

'What do you want?' she asks, firmly.

The woman seems put out that she is not hysterical, moves sinuously again, then spits, 'Well, not you, that's for sure. Give the girl to me and I'll kill you quickly, instead of in slow agony.'

That doesn't sound like a fair deal, and Adison doesn't deign to answer, for she can see the light brighten in the witch. She cannot attack Adison physically for fear of hurting Catherine, so she'll go for magic.

As the creature starts to mutter beneath her breath, Adison feels it's time to act, and she puts up a shield over herself and Catherine, then readies a fireball and aims it straight at the woman before her. It takes her absolutely by surprise, and full in the chest.

A hideous scream tears at their eardrums, but the fireball does not take the witch out, the large smoking wound ravaging her chest clearly pains her a lot, but it has also made her very angry, apparently Adison's fireballs are not strong enough to take out an experienced witch. Her noise has alerted the men outside, and the carriage stops.

Vincent will be here in less than a minute, but the woman is moving now, coming at Adison with two outstretched hands. Adison takes a defensive stance, but she is sitting in a cramped space, and this woman is incredibly strong. She can feel the hands closing on her windpipe, she kicks, then readies another fireball, when suddenly the grip slackens and the witch is blown backwards.

A bit dazed, Adison looks around her, to see Catherine look at her own chubby hand in stunned amazement.

'It worked!'

No time for that, the witch is already getting up, but she is not going to get another chance at them, the door flies open and Vincent nearly has her, but the thing escapes back through the wall, a move he didn't expect, giving her just enough time to get away. For a very short time.

As he moves out of the carriage, the head sticks back in and says menacingly, 'You got my two sisters, but I will be back. Better start studying our arts, little girl. Mother's waiting for you eagerly.'

And then she is yanked out of the wall, another scream escaping her, it must hurt being pulled through wood with Vincent's physical strength, and they sit back in their seat, more respectful of a witch's powers from now on. But Adison needs to know Vincent is all right, so she takes Catherine's hand and steps out of the carriage.

A battle is in full swing, but not an even one. Vincent is not wielding his sword, it is back in its sheath, and he clearly has objections to beat up a woman, but since she has no problem at all molesting him, he soon puts some heart in it and her chances fade quickly. He must mean to keep her alive for questioning, for he is clearly both stronger and faster than she, he could have ended it by now. Retreating fast, her back strikes a brick house, she's stuck between a wall and Vincent, who follows her, drawing his sword.

Killing her would be the wisest thing to do, but with all those new memories of Heathcliff flying in a rage and killing, he will be loathe to end her in cold blood.

Then the witch takes the agony of decision out of his hands, for once connected to the brick wall, she disappears into it, leaving Vincent standing there, facing a blind wall with his sword out. He turns around quickly and comes back towards them.

'Are you both all right? Why didn't you knock on the window that there was an intruder? Were you frozen with fear? No matter, let's just go home. We'll talk there, it's unnerving to see someone disappear into a wall, but I'm a bit relieved too, I didn't look forward to murdering a girl.'

At that moment, Mina comes storming into the alley, not out of breath at all, of course, a bit disconcerted to get to the scene too late, but glad to see everyone in good shape.

'I guess I didn't get afraid until that thing started to throttle Adison, and that is less than five minutes ago, Mina. You are fast enough, I'm just not scared enough,' the girl says dryly.

As Vincent's expression changes to total confusion, Adison observes, 'I wasn't either, Catherine, we both need to gain a little respect for these creatures, they're strong and very fast. We're not dad or Mina, that much is clear. Let's go home. Will you ride with us, Mina?'

They all get in the carriage, except Vincent who climbs back on the box with Neil, and Neil sets off once more, until they are delivered to their home safe and sound, and Neil drives away with his payment.

Victor is waiting for them anxiously, and visibly relieved to see them all unhurt. He helps carry the luggage inside, and they all gather around the kitchen table with a cup of tea.

Adison admits, 'We both saw her come in but didn't warn you. I'm afraid I wanted to try a fireball very badly, stupid and arrogant of me, that won't happen again. How did you manage to stun her, Catherine? Did you use something heavy?'

Catherine says proudly, 'I used magic. I found this stun-spell in one of grandmother's books, and when the witch had you by the throat I got scared and put my hand on her and tried it. It worked.'

'You used magic?' Vincent asks incredulously, 'are you all right? Not tired, no headache?'

The little girl walks over to her dad and lets him lift her on his lap.

'I'm fine dad, I slept in the carriage, and my head feels fine. I'm very hungry, though.'

'But how come your stun bolt worked and my fireball didn't knock her out?'

Adison cannot seem to believe it.

'I was touching her, I'm sure that made the impact greater. Your fireball tore a hole in her chest the size of a melon, I saw it still smoking. Anyone else would have died. My stun bolt probably just tipped the balance.

But in general I think stunning is more practical, fire does leave traces on a body, and you could have set fire to Neil's carriage. I'll show you this one, it's easy.'

Now Victor offers, 'What if Catherine's talent is more suited to offensive magic? Paul said yours is the healing kind, Adison, maybe that makes offensive spells less powerful.'

That kind of makes sense, but it only means she will have to work harder to be able to score hits on those witches.

Adison mentions, 'Did I imagine it, Catherine, or did that witch suggest we had killed or taken her friends?'

The little girl acknowledges this, and Mina reacts.

'So maybe they did flee their mistress, good for them. Though life will not be easy for them, on the run.'

'This one was clearly more competent than that last lot, she could move through solid materials without much effort, she can come into this house any time she likes,' Vincent now observes.

'The next few months I will be rehearsing by day and I will be home at night, so I can still guard you, but once the shows start I will be away all evenings. I want this matter resolved by then. Let's take the fight to them, we know who our enemy is, we can find out where she lives.'

'I'll start reading those books my mother collected for me,' Adison says, 'maybe we can find a way to disable their special abilities. And let's hope Melissa's father will be willing to help us out, the best defence against bad witches must be good witches.'

The travels and the fight have tired them, and after a solid dinner and another hour of talk, about Vincent's regained memories, and their interesting discussion with Thomas' friends, they turn in early.

When Catherine's breathing slows, indicating that she is fast asleep, Vincent takes Adison in his arms and holds her firmly. They lie together in silence for quite some time, until Vincent starts to speak hesitantly.

'Tomorrow is the day, love, first rehearsal. You, and your father, and Catherine, and the others, have told me repeatedly that I will do really well, but still I am a bit apprehensive. Such a change.'

'I think you will have the time of your life,' Adison replies, 'think about it, all those people who live for the same thing you do. You can learn so much by just observing them. But they probably all know one another, so you'll have to work hard to fit in.'

He nibbles her ear, and she kisses him. Of course such intimacies quickly lead to others, and they make love quietly, then fall asleep in each other's arms.