Necessity Breeds Naturally Ch. 01

Story Info
After losing so much comes a unusual opportunity for Matt.
4.7k words
4.07
9.3k
11
0

Part 1 of the 8 part series

Updated 03/24/2024
Created 12/11/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
alupine
alupine
213 Followers

A large circular tray was packed with four dishes. There was rib eye steak cooked medium rare with a baked potato, sour cream, and chives. Next there was a creamy tortellini pasta with seasoned shrimp and herbs. The third dish was a salmon steak drizzled in rémoulade with a side of rice pilaf and broccoli covered in American cheese. And finally a filet mignon, asparagus, and a lobster tail with a container of melted butter. The aroma was amazing. And suddenly every dish was flying through the air and smashed onto the floor in a tremendous clatter.

"Fuck was that our food?" said a young man with bright green dyed hair.

"I'm so sorry," said the waitress who had dropped the food. "I'm always spilling things," she frowned. She knelt down, picking up the fragments of dishes and food then putting the mess onto her platter. She looked as if she was right out of college with a wiry frame and straight brown hair tied back in a large bun on top of her head.

A man in a suit and tie rushed next to her, and started helping clean up. He looked to be in his mid to late thirties with his light brown hair cut in a stylish fade with medium length on top. He was average in appearance with a five-o-clock shadow and a cleft chin.

"I'll go speak to the cook to get your order remade, alright?" he said in a baritone voice.

"We've been waiting an hour already," said the bright haired man.

"Let's just go," said the other patron in an annoyed tone of voice.

"I'm sorry. I could offer you a gift certificate," the besuited man said apologetically.

"No way. Not like I'd come back to this dump. But I will enjoy shredding your restaurant online," he chortled and walked away.

"Sorry Matt," the young server said with a contrite expression.

"It's alright Emma. Why don't you check on the next table's order, I'll clean this up."

"Ok. I'll do better next time," she said with a smile as she stood up.

A good looking young man with a server's apron walked over and bent down next to Matt.

"That's the second time this week boss," he said softly. "When are you going to fire her?"

"Joe you shouldn't talk that way about a coworker. If you have a complaint, let's go to the back office-"

"Man up. She's a disaster and you know it."

"Joe, Joe. If you want, after the rush we can talk. I want to make sure our team is strong. We need to work together if we're going to succeed."

"Fuck that. She's creating more work for me. If you don't get rid of her by the end of the week, I'm gone," he threatened. "Oh and by the way your girlfriend is here." He stood.

"Could you tell her I'm busy?"

"Tell her yourself," he retorted as he walked away.

Matthew sighed. He cleared the mess and then walked to the entrance of the restaurant.

There were several people waiting on entryway chairs and an obese woman standing in the middle with a frown. She wore a black blouse and leather jacket with acid washed jeans. She had brown pixie cut hair, green eyes, high cheekbones and a pointed nose.

"Hey babe, what is it?" he asked with exasperation.

"Here," she said flatly, holding out a piece of paper.

Matthew took the paper and opened it. It was written in her handwriting.

Matthew-

I hate that you're making me do it this way, but you're always "too busy" to listen. Yes this is a break up letter.

There was more to the note, but he looked up when he got to the word "breakup". She was leaving without saying another word. He rushed to the door.

"Matt, where are you going?" The male server yelled at him. Matt paused briefly, looking back at the busy interior and then rushed after her.

"Laura, Laura wait," he said, as she entered her car. She started it and pulled back. He stood in front of the vehicle, blocking her egress. She rolled down the window.

"Move it!"

"Let's talk."

"I've wanted to talk before, but you're always too busy."

"I'm sorry, I-"

"No you're too late. Now move!" she said, driving forward slowly.

"Please, I love you," he said.

"That's not enough anymore," she said angrily.

"Laura I can't, the-"

"I'm done."

"Laura, can we talk about this tonight?" he said with exasperation.

"No! Move it asshole!" the car started rolling forward, pressing into him.

He moved out of the way and watched as she drove past and out of the parking lot. He stood there for nearly half a minute staring at the busy street and while tears ran down his cheeks. When he finally entered the restaurant, he noticed Joe was on the phone.

"Yeah he's back, yeah sure," Joe said, holding out the phone with a shit-eating grin.

"Hello? Mr. Martinez. Yes sir, sorry my girlf- Yes sir. No sir. Sorry sir. Yes sir. Goodbye."

The proprietor was very angry. Matt and his girlfriend had several fights at the restaurant that had affected his work. He already had warnings from before. Although he had poured so much work into the restaurant, it was all over now. He shoved Laura's note into his pocket and went through the motions of his job as best as he could. After finishing his shift, he got into his small car and started to drive towards his mother's house.

It was about ten thirty that night when he arrived at his mother's trailer home. Matt knocked on the door loudly, hearing the television blaring. He expected she had fallen asleep in her chair in front of the television and he didn't want to startle her when he came in. He unlocked the door and walked in, but she wasn't in the living room. He went to her room-

"Oh god!" he cried.

* *

The doctor turned on the light box and illuminated an X-ray of a skull.

"Your mother is very lucky, mister Fischer. Most her age break bones when they fall down, but she sustained practically no injuries except for a bruise. Still it's important that she takes it easy the next few days. Does she live on her own?"

"Yes."

"Her x-ray may be clean, but the fall could have caused her some muscle strain. Keep an eye on her the next couple days."

"I work ten hour-" Matt paused suddenly.

"Is everything alright?

"Sorry, I. Nevermind that won't be a problem." He said sheepishly, remembering he had just lost his job.

"I see she's taking diabetes medication. I'm worried the diabetes might have inadvertently caused the fall. Have you noticed her hands shaking?"

"No."

"She has a weekly pill organizer?"

"A what?"

"Go to the pharmacy and get her one. There is a compartment for each day. Put her daily pills in each box and tell her to take the pills in the morning with her breakfast."

"Ok."

"Do you have any questions?"

Matt's mind went blank.

"Mr. Fischer, do you have any questions?"

"No."

"You don't look too good either. Have you been getting much sleep?"

"No."

"Take care of yourself son. Your mother needs you."

* * *

Matt entered the coffee shop, dressed casually and looking at his watch in the late morning light. He looked around the room nervously as he caught a glimpse of someone who looked familiar. But when he approached, he didn't recognize them. He looked around again and saw a woman with long black hair waving at him. He smiled and approached the booth. An angular looking white woman sat next to her.

"Hello Hannah," he said confidently to the raven-haired woman.

"Oh Matt," she said warmly, standing.

"Sorry I'm late," he said.

"No problem, we just got here." She leaned in and gave him a hug. When the woman next to her stood up, he briefly looked her over. Her brown hair was pushed back behind her ears and she wore a long sleeve mustard yellow blouse with tan slacks. She looked anxiously at him.

When Matt pulled back he smiled, taking in Hannah's appearance. She was short with long black hair, a round face, small dark brown eyes and bronze-colored skin. She wore a cropped white blouse under an olive colored sports jacket with matching high-rise pants.

"This is Alexandra," she said, indicating the woman next to her. "But we all just call her Alex."

"I figured, good to meet you," he said, holding out his hand.

She shook it gently.

"So how are you?" Hannah asked as they all sat down.

"I'm ok," he said somberly. "Thank you for inviting me. I needed to get out."

"No problem, it's been a long time."

"Yeah, not since Covid." He looked down at the empty table. "Have you ordered yet?"

"Felix, large decaf mocha!" one of the baristas announced.

"That's mine," Alex said. "They got my name wrong."

"I'll get it," Hannah said. "Did you want something?"

"Oh I shouldn't..." Matt said.

"Or something to eat?"

"Uh... actually a blueberry muffin would be great."

"No problem."

"And a coffee, two sugars."

"Sure thing."

"Thanks."

"Be right back, you two get to know each other," she winked as she went up to the counter.

"So... uh where do you work?" Matt said with a friendly smile.

"I'm a Group Fitness Instructor at the Sun Mountain Nursing Home."

"Oh really? Too bad you don't live nearby. My mom could really use some exercise. It's tough getting her out of the house."

"Have you tried taking her on short walks just around the block?"

"No, that's a good idea."

"You should try it. And what do you do?"

"Oh... I'm unemployed currently, but I worked at a steak restaurant until I got fired last week."

"Oh I'm sorry."

"Yeah it's kinda a relief though. I need the money, but I was so overworked. And my girlfriend broke up with me the same day."

"Hannah told me."

"Right. Well... I don't really want to talk about that. How about you? You got married last month right?"

"August 27th," she said.

"Oh... two months. Shit I... I'm sorry I couldn't make it."

"Hannah really wanted you to be there."

"Oh that's- Yeah I was... I mean it's been my excuse for the last year, but I was really busy."

"I'm sure she understands."

"How... how is she?"

"What do you mean?"

"It's been so long since I've seen her and I can only get so much information over text. Are you two happy?"

"Um... that's a... bit of a loaded question."

"Yeah, sorry."

"But yes I think we're happy," she said, her thin lips smiling.

"Here babe," Hannah said, passing Alex her drink.

"Thanks."

"And yours Matt."

"Thank you."

"So," Hannah said, sitting down. "I see you haven't killed each other."

"You sure are trusting, leaving one of your ex-es with your wife," Matt laughed.

"I didn't worry," she smiled, putting her arm around Alex's back. "It's not like you're one of my crazy exes."

"You have crazy exes?" Alex said with concern.

"You've met Dinah, remember?"

"Oh right," Alex said with renewed confidence. "How long did you and Matt date?"

"Almost a year. When we broke up I was a senior in high school and he had just started college. That's over fifteen years ago."

"Yeah," Matt admitted. "Damn we're old." Matt took a bite of the muffin.

"Well," she smiled. "Alex has us both beat."

"Older than us? No way." Matt said.

"Younger," she said. "She turned thirty in April."

"You cradle robber," Matt smiled.

"That's me," Hannah laughed.

"I was just telling Alex how sorry I was that I didn't make your wedding."

"Don't worry about it. I understand family comes first. How is your mom doing anyway?"

"Alright I guess. She doesn't eat much so she looks like skin and bones."

"That's too bad. How old is she?"

"Seventy-five."

"At least you still have her with you."

"True. My father passed away in 2020 though," Matt said sadly.

"Because of Covid?"

"No, it was a heart attack."

"Right, I think you told me. Sorry," Hannah replied sympathetically.

"Thanks. Uh, how about your parents?"

"My mother passed away when I was in college. My dad's still around though. He walked me down the aisle."

"That reminds me. The photos from your wedding were amazing. The dresses you wore were so beautiful. It was really cool what you did with traditional and more modern. Hannah you looked amazing. And Alex, you looked really beautiful too. Have you worn one of those Chinese dresses before?"

"No. It felt strange wearing red, but thank you."

"She pulled it off," Hannah said confidently. "I'm glad we were able to honor both sides of our family."

"Yeah..." Matt looked down at his hand.

"What's wrong?"

"I told you, that I was thinking of proposing to Laura right?"

"No I don't think so."

"But that wouldn't have... I mean she would have said no," Matt frowned. "You never met her right?"

"No."

"I think you would have liked her. I don't... I guess I don't really blame her. I couldn't give her what she deserved, you know? I had to work all the time and take care of mom..."

"That's not your fault."

"But it seems like it is."

"You know, maybe if you talked to someone it might help?"

"Like a therapist?" Matt scoffed. "I can handle it myself."

"It's not that bad," Alex said. "Hannah and I go once a month."

"I can barely afford to feed myself. I don't think I can afford a therapist."

"I'm sorry," she said.

"She's just trying to help," Hannah said protectively.

"I know, but if I don't get a job soon, I'll be on the street. The last couple interviews, I found out later that the managers are friends with my old boss so I don't have much hope of them calling me back."

"Do you have anything saved up?" Hannah asked.

"A little. I can last a couple months."

"Well... uh, keep us up to date ok. I still care about you, even if it's not romantically. You're a good man."

Matt cocked his head.

"What?" Hannah said. "You are you know."

"I try to be," he said.

"It shows. How are your kids? They live far away right?"

"Yeah they moved to Austin."

"Texas wow, that's far."

"Yeah, It's been way too long since I've seen them. But we talk on the phone at least once a week. Well when we can. They are doing good in school, sports, the whole thing," he said with faint pride.

"How old are they?" Alex said with interest.

"The oldest Noah is sixteen and the twins will be fifteen in December."

"Identical twins?"

"Yes actually. Ava and Astrid."

"Cute names," she said genuinely. "Do you have any pictures?"

"Sure," he nodded, reaching for his phone.

"Alex really wants kids," Hannah explained.

"I can tell," Matt laughed. He opened up an album on his phone and handed it over.

"Ooo," she cooed. Matt and Hannah laughed. "Shutup," she said with a sidelong glance to Hannah. "You have a very beautiful family," she said, handing the phone back.

"Thanks, my ex loved taking photos so she was good about posing and dressing everyone for the occasion."

"Those photos were from when they were young, right? Do you have anything more recent?"

"I don't really get photos from them now. I just go to their social media. That's the only reason I have one really."

"I see." He pulled up their social media and handed the phone over again. "Wow, they are so grown up."

"Yeah, so when are you going to pop out a couple kids?" Matt said with a large smile.

"Me?" Alex said. "Well Han-"

"We are still talking about it," Hannah said.

"Oh. That's good," Matt said. "Steph, the mother of my children, got pregnant nearly immediately after we started dating in the first year of college. She is very catholic, so abortion was out of the question. That's why I dropped out."

"Sounds like some resentment there," Hannah said.

"Maybe... but I love my children. I wouldn't change any of that now. It's just different to see people actually planning kids."

Alex smiled.

"But I guess you don't have to worry about accidentally getting pregnant," he said seriously.

"No," Hannah smiled.

"Lucky," Matt said with a wan smile. Hannah laughed awkwardly.

"It's not-" Hannah began.

"I know I was just being... silly."

Hannah nodded, then looked at her watch.

"It's good seeing you Matt, but we should get going. We've got an appointment to get to."

"Yeah, I should get back and check on my mom. Thanks again for seeing me."

Matt hugged each of them before they left the coffee shop.

* * *

A dark rich espresso became caramel-colored as foamed milk was poured into the cup in an artful way making an appealing flower shaped pattern on the surface. Another cup was poured in a similar manner and then a young woman who made them called out:

"Charlie two large lattes!"

A young man with short black hair and almond shaped brown eyes wearing a button up shirt and slacks grabbed the drinks and took them to a table where Matt sat. He was wearing faded black jeans with a hoodie.

"Thanks again for meeting man," Matt said, "I know I haven't seen you much because of work. I mean last time I saw you was even before Laura. She-"

"Good riddance," Charlie interrupted, then took a long sip of coffee.

"What?" Matt said dubiously.

"Dude, I never said it to your face, but she was ugly and fat."

"That's harsh Charlie."

"It's true. I mean you're no Leo, but seriously you could get a girl so much hotter. Just have to start dressing better. What is that from the clearance rack?" he said, indicating Matt's attire.

"I've missed you man," Matt laughed.

"Well losing your job has some perks huh?"

"Too much free time."

"Time to work out then, lose some of that belly fat since you're on the market again," Charlie said, pointing to Matt's midsection.

"Hey, I've been trying. I've been lifting weights."

"You need some cardio and fast."

"Whatever."

"If you don't want my help I can leave," he threatened.

"Seriously man? Ok I'll do some cardio," he said with exasperation.

"Yeah this is serious. And I saw you haven't even changed your relationship status yet? Give me your phone," he said, taking it from the table.

"What? I-"

"You need to get over that seal and get back on the saddle." Charlie clicked Matt's social media app and changed his status. "And delete all these photos of you and her."

"Wait I-"

"Too late," he smiled.

"Fuck Charlie, give my phone back."

"I'm sure you'll be searching through your trash folder later, but you'll thank me when you're swimming in pussy. Now install the Bajingo app."

"Isn't that just for casual hook-ups? I don't need-"

"Yes you do. Right now you need some strange to get over Laura."

"I'm not ready yet."

"Hasn't it been a month already?"

"Forty-two days."

"More than enough. And you're keeping a strangely accurate count," Charlie argued.

"I still miss her."

"Whatever... How is the job going? Women don't want no scrub," he said playfully.

"About that..." Matt said shamefully. "You know I started a new one a few weeks ago?"

"Yeah."

"Well I had to take a few days off when my mom went to the hospital again just recently. They fired me for taking too much time off.

"Fuck, that sucks. You should sue them..."

"I don't want to deal with-"

"So... is that why you invited me to coffee? So I could get the bill?" he said.

"No, that's not-"

"It's ok," Charlie said.

"Thank you. And thanks again for helping me move last week. Sorry there was so much stuff."

"There was a lot. But it makes sense now why you needed to move. Still, those weights were heavy. That's what sucks about having a pickup truck. Everyone asks you to help move. I swear I'm going to sell it next year."

"Sorry man, I'd like to pay for your gas or something. But since I lost my job I couldn't afford rent at my old place and-"

"Don't trip, I'm just bustin' your balls. I'm more worried about you. How are you going to get any play at your mom's trailer with all that old people stuff."

"I wish I could get a storage space. I still have boxes in my car because there's no more room in her house. She hates living there too, but we had to sell their old house to pay all the bills after my dad died."

"I thought you had a sister. Couldn't she help?"

"I have two, but neither are around. Jennifer got into massive debt after she married her deadbeat husband. And I haven't heard from my oldest sister Michelle in practically a decade."

alupine
alupine
213 Followers
12