Neversink Mountain

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Herring Bedding is going under. Richard Herring is broke. You have over two million dollars in life insurance. Mister Herring and your wife were planning on keeping the company going with the insurance that she got from your death."

"But how were there going to collect the money if they buried my body?"

"Your grave was going to be discovered by a group of bird watchers sometime next week. There are two migratory flights that come through the area twice a year and birding groups are given permission to enter the mountain at those times."

"How did you find all of this out? Did they come in and confess?"

"Not exactly. The cell phone that you took off of Carmine's body had a log of the calls that he made to his brother-in-law and to your wife. We checked the calls on Dick Herring's phone and on your wife's phones also. It proved to be quite interesting."

"Are you telling me that you have enough information off of those cell phones to charge my wife with murder?"

"No. We got all that from Mister Herring. When he found out that he was going to be charged with the murder of his brother-in-law, as well as your attempted murder, he couldn't start talking fast enough. He had a lawyer and was cutting a deal before your wife knew what was happening. Once she found out that Herring turned on her, she confessed to everything, and tried to blame him. She has decided to plead guilty so that there will be no trial, but she will probably get a more severe punishment than Herring."

"Well that sucks for her. Was it his idea or was it her idea, to have me killed?"

"We don't know. We may never know. On the good side, you are still alive."

"Do you actually need anything from me, Detective Greene?"

"No, not really. I wanted to see that you were okay and also to bring you up-to-date on what happened. I would rather that you found out from me than from reading it in the papers. Do you have any more questions?"

I thought carefully for a few moments. "Yeah. Who the hell is bringing me those balloons?"

The man in the suit was softly laughing. "Her name is Donna, and she said that if you woke up I should tell you and that her last name is Dimwit."

I gave him a quizzical look and he smiled. "She is the 911 operator who took your call. She said you called her a dimwit and she realized that at the time she was acting like one. She was new on the job and felt real bad about saying something stupid."

He must have left the room right after that, because the next thing I knew it was daylight. Brian was there again and helped me with my first tray of food. Darlene had been denied bail and was set for sentencing at the end of the month. Dick Herring had gotten out on bail and disappeared. His business was going down the tubes and he had no family.

I finally met Donna Dimwit that afternoon. She was short, chunky, and full of life. Although she was a licensed nurse, she had trouble getting a job because of her weight. She couldn't work on an EMT team because of the physical agility requirements. 911 was her next best option. I was released from the hospital three days later, but required home care for another two weeks. Donna was on the visiting nurses register and with one call I was able to arrange for her to see to my needs.

Darlene was sentenced to ten years, but Brian said she would probably be out in eight. I never got to see her before she left for Muncy. She never tried to contact me and I had no intention of calling her. Poor Brian was caught in the middle and I promised not to fault him in any way.

Two weeks later I filed for divorce. Donna made macaroni and cheese for supper.

Share this Story

Similar Stories

Penny Whimsy Her plan to trade up didn't work.in Loving Wives
Major Mistake Her plan to trade up didn't work.in Loving Wives
Pin Holes He screwed up what he couldn't stop.in Loving Wives
Laid Like a Rug Getting satisfaction on a cheating wife.in Loving Wives
An Unexpected Reaction To an unacceptable situation.in Loving Wives
More Stories