New Twins in Town Pt. 01, Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Like, a ten-speed?" Kristina asked.

"Uh... well, we're from Redmond, which claims to be the bicycle capitol of the Pacific Northwest, but no, I ride a Triumph."

Seph bit her lip. Since when am I into the thought of a guy on a motorcycle?

"Weather's nice today," Kristina pointed out. "Wouldn't today have been a good 'riding day'?"

"Well, I mean, I can put my guitar in a soft case and wear that while I ride," Miles explained. "But getting my trumpet and amp anywhere is another matter."

"Got it," the Drum Major muttered, embarrassed she'd forgotten about the instruments she'd just watched him tuck away.

"It's a good thing my main mode of transportation doesn't come with such limitations," Zoe grinned at her brother.

A subject of debate between the twins? Seph assumed as she glanced at the parking lot. Wonder if I can tell which is-

"Is that your car?" Kristina blurted as she pointed.

"Yeah, you guys wanna have a look?" Zoe offered.

"Definitely!" Kristina insisted.

Of course. Seph rolled her eyes. Once you see that she has something nice, you're nice.

"Not gonna say 'no'," Seph said, weary of matching Kristina's exuberance.

"I think I'm going to have to bow out," Miles said, glancing toward the administration office. "Thank you both, for today and the heads-up on next week. I should really make sure everything is alright with my schedule, too. Zo, I'll meet up with you in the parking lot after."

They waved him off and proceeded to Zoe's car.

"Alright, anything else I should know about Band Camp?"

"Uh... nothing else comes to mind," Seph shrugged.

Kristina paused and considered her response, "You'll know soon enough."

That sounds ominous as shit!

"Wait!" Seph corrected herself. She couldn't decide how to phrase what she wanted to say. "Someone will probably sneak in booze, someone might sneak in drugs. Occasionally, they get caught. That's never good for whoever does it. But..."

The subtle change on Zoe's face caused Seph to pause. Something I said struck a nerve with her.

"But?" Zoe sounded unfazed enough that Seph doubted Kristina noticed the change.

"Well, you've seen American Pie, right?" Kristina finally added.

Zoe went wide-eyed and stifled a laugh. The response was enough to get the other girls going and all three girls found themselves overcome with a fit of giggles.

"Well, that's no big deal..." Zoe said once she'd regained her composure, then added, "Besides, it's not like I even play the flute."

11:30 AM, Carter High School Administration Office

"I'm so sorry about that," Ms Douglas had just been made aware of a discrepancy on the school's website. "We haven't offered that class since... well, I think, since I was a student here. You must be the first student interested in taking it in the better part of a decade."

"I understand," the smile disappeared from Miles's face. "Really wish I'd looked at what other electives are offered then. Once I saw Photography with actual film development, I figured I was set.

"It uh... Says here.... Um..." she fumbled over his transcript. "You were on the swim team?"

"Yes ma'am," he said. "We didn't have a marching band, so I had the spare time."

"You may be interested to know that you can take swim- Swimming as an elective, and it can count as swim team practice." She didn't remember the last time she felt flustered like this.

"Really?" Miles sat up in his chair.

"Miss Ashmore was a student here. She wanted to be on the swim team but had the same issue. So, when she came on staff, she argued that her class should count as practice. The way I heard it, she filibustered the school board until they conceded."

Miles nodded eagerly, "Yeah, sign me up for that."

"I thought you might say that," she stated gingerly. "I should warn you. Because her priority at that time is the class, and it's open to swimmers of all levels, she won't be able to give you the same kind of coaching that she's able to provide the team after school."

"That makes sense," he conceded.

"On the plus side, several other students from band will also share that class with you. So, you should already know some of the faces in the class. And I believe..." She glanced over at who was registered for the class, "Yes! Last year's team captain is also in that class."

She raised an eyebrow at the new expression he wore. "Judging by that grin on your face, I take it you're already excited about that sort of camaraderie. Looks like you'll fit in quite well here at Carter."

"I hope so, ma'am," he shook whatever thought had clouded his mind. "Is there anything else I need to take care of?"

She set a couple of papers on the desk.

"Normally, you'd get these from Miss Ashmore to have your parents..." Her eyes went wide as the words escaped her mouth. "Your... mother sign these. I'm so sorry... your sister mentioned-"

Miles put up his hand to stop her.

"Don't worry about it," it was clear he was used to the slip-up. "It happened a long time ago. We're fine."

His words failed to wipe the frown that had corrupted her face. She looked over his classes again and had a realization. "You're going on the band retreat, right?"

"Yes ma'am," he retrieved the papers she had laid out for him.

"You'll want these too, then," she set a couple of envelopes down where the permission slips had rested.

"What are these?" He asked as he lifted them.

"Eclipse glasses," she smirked. "Most of the places nearby are sold out. They might get more in before the 21st but..."

"We'll already be at the retreat."

"Exactly."

He thumbed open the unsealed envelope and studied the items within, "I wonder how tricky it'd be to capture the event on camera."

"That's right," Ms Douglas gasped. "Seeing as you're a camera buff, you may want to snap some pictures on the trip. You know, that's the kinda thing that can really help the yearbook look good. If you're interested."

"I've always been too busy to consider submitting pictures for the yearbook or a school newspaper. This is great!" Miles said, not bothering to hide his enthusiasm. "Wouldn't hurt to get me to view things from a more professional standpoint. Thank you for the recommendation."

Her smile finally returned and another thought invaded her head.

"Y'know... the classroom itself has been taken over for another subject," Miles gave her a confused look. "... But it's not like we got rid of the darkroom. I think that it's being used as temporary storage, but it's nothing that couldn't be kept elsewhere. So even without the class, you'd be able to develop photos."

"Really?" Excitement radiated off the boy.

"Well, don't get your hopes up just yet. I don't know what all it requires to develop photos. Chemicals that I'm not sure the science labs have and I can't imagine come cheap."

"I've looked into it before. It's not too expensive," he said, then looked embarrassed at his own eagerness.

She grinned at his spirited attitude. "I'd love to be able to take your word on it, but you probably know there's going to be more to consider than just the upfront cost anyway. Like supervision and safety."

"I realize how much that must have come across like some kid saying whatever they could just to get a 'yes', but I really have looked into it," he rubbed the back of his neck, his cheeks still red. "I should really have stopped at 'thank you' shouldn't I?"

Her eyes went back to his transcript. Thank God he's 18. Regardless, I shouldn't get this flustered by a student.

"I really can't promise that it'll for sure happen," she confessed. "But I can promise that I'll look into it. And if it gets approved, I'll let you know at the first opportunity."

"I would appreciate that tremendously," he stood up and offered his hand. "Mrs Douglas, if you are a good representation of the other faculty at Carter, I gotta say I'm excited about the upcoming school year."

He waved as he stepped out of her office and started down the hall.

"I- um... thank you," his comment had her so flustered she didn't even note to correct him on her title. "If you ever need anything else, remember that my door is always open"

She closed the door as soon as he was gone.

"Pull yourself together, Somer," she whispered to herself.

Monday, August 14, 9:30 AM, Carter High School Parking Lot

"Looks like we made the right call," Zoe declared as they pulled in behind the cavalcade of parents dropping off their kids.

"I don't think too many students want to leave their cars here unattended for like two weeks," Miles observed.

"It'd speak volumes on the parents who let them," their mother, Nicole, said. "You two sure you have everything you need?"

"Absolutely not," Laughed Miles. "But y'know... We'll be smart, find who has the things we need, separate them from the rest of the pack, and take them down."

"Or seduce them."

"Zoe! We've been over this, no trading with other girls to get a smaller gym shirt."

"But Mom, I don't want them to notice how sweaty my face is. I'd rather their eyes be drawn elsewhere."

Miles chuckled, "If you keep this up, she's going to think you're actually going to go through with the idea this time."

"Nah," Zoe shrugged. "She knows it'd be easier for me to just go without one altogether. Maybe even ditch the sports bra."

"You kids know exactly what a mother wants to hear when her kids are going to be away for a couple weeks," Nicole grumbled.

"Just means you'll be more eager for us to get back," Zoe gloated.

"Guys?" Their mother said sternly.

"We know, Mom," Miles repeated the warning their parents had always recited to them growing up. "Don't do anything stupid."

"Hah, if I'm doing anyone, I'm not picking someone stupid," Zoe said with a chuckle.

"If you get pregnant on this trip, I'm disowning you."

"Love you too, Mom," they said in near unison as they exited the vehicle.

Nicole popped the trunk and rolled down the passenger window as the twins quickly removed all their belongings.

"Thanks again," Miles said as he shut the trunk.

"Yeah, we'll see you in a couple weeks," Zoe waved at the open window.

"Miles-" their mother called out before they could step away.

He sighed and turned to face her, "Mom, could we not--"

"Miles, this is a fresh start. No one here..." It was a conversation they'd had multiple times throughout the summer. She decided to skip to the end, "Don't let this be a repeat of last year."

"I know, Mom," Miles replied, his voice hollow. He turned and Zoe could see the color had drained from his face.

I thought he'd be used to these conversations by now, she sighed and watched her twin walk away.

"Hey, Zo," Nicole's voice lacked the spirit she'd shown a moment ago. "Make sure he stays out of..."

Zoe shot her mother the most 'Are you kidding me?' look she could manage.

"Zo, I know you're not going to pull a 180 on me and start the year off by gaining a reputation none of us are proud of. But Miles... after the way things have been... it scares me that I'm not going to be around to-"

"Mom," Zoe said sternly. "I love him too. I'll make sure to text you if I think there's anything you need to know."

Nicole let out a sigh of relief. "Have I told you lately that you're my favorite daughter?"

"I'm your only daughter."

"Psh, as far as you're aware," the smirk on her mother's face reminded Zoe of her own.

"That's... a pretty fucked up joke to make knowing you're not going to see, or probably hear from me for two weeks."

"I know," Nicole laughed, clearly satisfied with getting the best of her child. "Have fun, sweetie."

"I will, Mom," Zoe nodded, then glanced at her brother, who had slowed his pace to wait for her. "And I'll keep an eye on Miles."

She turned and joined him as he walked past the line of cars having longer, less heated, farewells.

"Am I an idiot for thinking she could just see us off without having that conversation?" Miles asked as Zoe caught up to him.

"She'd be the idiot if she didn't," Zoe countered.

Miles made to speak but caught himself before saying something he'd regret. Instead, he resolved to reply with a simple, "Touché."

He took a few steps but stopped unexpectedly.

"Hold up," Miles said as he set his bags down and climbed atop the large cement foot of a lamppost. "Can you hand me that one?"

While not seeing the appeal of photography that her brother did, Zoe was a frequent assistant in his shoots. Without waiting for him to ask, she unzipped the small bag and retrieved the device.

"Which lens?"

"That one," he pointed.

She rolled her eyes as she handed it to him.

No point reminding him I know what the different lenses are and when he typically uses them. She removed the Rubik's cube from her pocket and began rapidly twisting it. It's like you and cubes, Miles doesn't need to be into it and I don't need to be into the photography.

Miles quickly snapped off a few shots of the crowd.

"You could probably caption that as 'Civil Unrest: dozens of students forced to end their summer vacation weeks ahead of schedule'."

"Nice," Miles laughed as he disassembled the camera. "We should go hear what Boon is saying."

"Don'tcha mean 'Tune'," she snickered as she turned her attention from the cube to her brother. Don't let your camera be the barrier that separates you from making connections this year. No one knows us here. They don't know what we've been through. It's time for a fresh start.

"May take me a minute to get comfortable calling him that," Miles shook his head.

"Holy shit!" Zoe called as she looked towards the parking lot.

"What's up?"

"It's uh.... Woof. Is that Seph?"

"Uh..." Miles's jaw dropped when he caught sight of what Zoe was looking at. "Y-yeah... and either she's giving everyone a preview of the amount of action she's gonna get this week... or that's one steamy farewell kiss."

Poor Miles, Zoe couldn't help but smirk. I figured he didn't miss her gawking at him the other day. Good thing you weren't there for the bit of conversation I had with her and Kristina after you left.

"Whatcha think?" She chuckled. "Possessive?"

"I dunno. Probably just horny."

The twins laughed as they came within earshot of Mr. Boon's announcements. They knew they'd spend a fair bit of the retreat apart from one another, they had not anticipated it would start at the buses.

"Drummers. Buses One through Three," Boon shouted over the crowd of teenagers who hadn't seen each other for months. "Brass, bus four and five. Woodwinds, five and six."

"Which one you thinking of going for?" Zoe whispered as they neared the vehicles.

"Uh... bus five, I guess."

"Aehhhhh, guess again."

"Huh?"

"Seph got on bus four."

"So?"

"Sew buttons. I just had to promise mom I wouldn't let this year be like the end of last year," Zoe shook her head. "We don't know anyone, but we do know her and she's nice."

Miles let out a frustrated sigh, "Fine. Bus four it is. But you can't make me sit with her."

"What are you, six?"

"six-minutes older than you!"

"Y'know, that was a lot funnier when we were younger."

"Yeah, we should probably stop saying it," Miles laughed. "I suppose it wouldn't be too much trouble sitting near Seph."

"Don't pretend like you won't love every second of it."

"I have no idea what you're-"

"Miles, c'mon," Zoe laughed. "You're poker face isn't as good as you think it is. You have a thing for redheads."

"How dare you!" Miles said acusatorily. "Saying something so shameful. Like I prefer someone over somebody else because of something like hair."

"Oh, right. You don't have a thing for redheads. You have a thing for all women," Zoe rolled her eyes.

"Well, it doesn't come off right when you say it like that," Miles snickered. "So, what about you? I don't suppose you'll adhere to your own advice and find the bus with the only person you know."

"Oh, hell no," Zoe shook her head. "I saw her get on bus one, so I plan on boarding either two or three. If I had the option to ride with Seph, that'd be a no brainer. But with how much of a bitch kris-"

Miles waved his hands in front of his sisters face then whispered, "Hey, we don't know what other people think of her. The last thing we want is to say something disparaging about someone who, for all we know, is incredibly popular."

"Good catch," Zoe smirked. "I don't want to parrot Mom, but I'm glad you're being cautious after last year."

"Zo," the smile faded from Miles's face as he shrugged, "I know."

Dammit, of course he knows. Even without Mom and I reminding him.

"I..." Zoe was at a loss for how to excuse her comment, "Should find a spot on one of the busses."

--------

Miles watched as his sister turned and bobbed her way through the torrent of students attempting to locate their friends before boarding the vehicles. Even if her height allowed her to blend in, the ripples of guy's turning their heads to gawk as she walked past made her easy to follow.

The line progressed forward and allowed him to stow his trumpet and duffle bag in the storage compartment. His camera bag stayed with him. Unlike the trumpet case, he didn't trust the padding to cushion the fragile equipment.

When he looked around, his sister was nowhere to be seen.

They'd been told about marching band, and the retreat, early in the summer. The chaos and anxiety of uprooting from the only life he'd ever known had been quelled for months by the knowledge that music would play a larger role in his life at his new school.

But this particular moment felt too much like how the final months of the last school year played out. The busses would be crowded. The lines were already getting there. Regardless, Miles knew he was alone. Surrounded by people. Yet very much alone.

The boy standing ahead of Miles in line was joined by another student. Miles searched for signs that someone else in line might object. Instead, his eyes landed on people chatting away.

I told Zoe I'd board bus four. But that doesn't mean I have to sit with Seph. Heck, there probably aren't even open seats next to her. She's beautiful and likely held in high regard among the other band members. And why should I expect her to want me to sit with her? Just because she's the section leader doesn't mean she's under any obligation to welcome me into her social circle. The last thing she'd want is someone like me coming along and screwing up her life.

He ascended the trio of steps onto the bus. Instead of scanning for open seats, his eyes were drawn to a girl near the back. Her eyes locked on to his own, she smiled at him as she spoke to the girl next to her.

"You!" Miles flinched and looked down to find Seph in the front row. Satisfied that she had his attention, she gestured to the empty bench across the aisle, "Sit."

He did as she commanded.

"This is the guy I was talking about," Seph mentioned to her compatriot before turning to Miles and addressing him directly, "Miles, this is my brother Topher."

"Topher?" Miles clarified.

"Short for Christopher," explained the other boy.

"But couldn't you just go by..." The look on the O'Hara siblings' faces caused Miles to change how he ended his sentence, "...Stop?"

Topher visualized how his own name was spelled and smiled at the recommendation, "Maybe you're on to something."

"Yeah, that'd go great," Seph laughed. "Mom and dad name you after the Patron Saint of Travelers and you decide to go by 'Stop'."

"Eh, y'know, Travelers gotta stop somewhere, don't they?" Topher mused.

Seph rolled her eyes and sighed, "Yes, Miles, he would go by Chris except-"

Before she was able to finish her statement, a boy took the seat next to Miles.