Nganakati

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

A few hours later I started feeling a bit faint from hunger and walked to camp for something like a brunch. Cold, thinly sliced corned beef plastered onto slices of bread did the trick and after washing it all down with more coffee I got back to the job. By the time the first of my gangs arrived I had piped a total of four showers in one and three in the other ablution. Being temporary it wasn't a pretty job. Far from it, but soon there may be hot water to soothe tired muscles after a hard day.

Steven dropped his arm on my shoulder as he walked in and leaned on me while inspecting the result of my labour. He grinned at me while pointing at an out of plumb pipe. "Remind me not to hire you to do my plumbing. You need some training."

"Seeing as I have some heavy carpentering to do yet, guess what?" I chuckled at him.

"I take over?"

"Well, this at least. The project manager will fill us in tonight. In the meantime, get the men sorted with their tents. I suggest we keep close as a group. Sboro is the building contractor."

"No!" André almost yelled.

"Yip."

"Militant fools who cannot build a square with Lego blocks and plays the race card all the time."

I sighed. "At least he is not here and his chief mud slinger already had a run-in with the project manager. He lost."

"Who's managing?" Gary wanted to know with his eyes in slits.

I laughed. "I ache to tell you but you will not believe me anyway so you will see tonight. Suffice to say, our problems may be few and of short duration unless something calamitous happens."

André stood there chewing his lip. "Do we know this guy?"

I stalled him. "What's for dinner?"

"First night? What else?"

I nodded and pulled a face. "Sweet tomato and leek soup with noodles followed by boiled chicken breast accompanied by baby potatoes and cabbage with vinegar based gravy."

Gary shuddered and walked away. "You're a sick man Kevin! Good god, where did you dig that up?"

Laughing we walked outside and I greeted the work force. Looking at eager faces made me grin to myself. If, after a month of crippling hard work, they still looked as eager as now I may as well take over the world. André quickly had everything organised and pretty soon all the tents were pitched in a half circle around the main area where Andre's self made mobile kitchen took pride of place in the middle with tables and chairs set out around it. Looking at it made me remember Cathy's homely camp fire of the previous night and I had to admit to myself. Tonight, if she's here, we may not have even a smidgen of the privacy we had last night. I also admitted that I had missed her for breakfast. She was fun to be with and I could almost see her telling everybody around of our action packed meeting.

André and a few of his men quickly prepared a light lunch to tide the men over until dinner and soon everybody was busy. Steven and some help finished my piping of the showers to the outside, awaiting the gas fired geysers still on its way with the other teams while I knocked a few doors together from the remains of what was left after some vicious kicking or whatever.

It was getting on in the afternoon when I noticed Richard approach camp. I quickly looked around to find André and saw him pre-drilling holes for fixing the geysers once they arrived. I ran to the side and showed Richard to join me. As he came up I grabbed him by his arm.

"André is the guy drilling at the other side," I chuckled and watched Richard's eyes light up. "Go round this side. He will not see you coming."

As Richard started for the corner of the building I ran around to the other side. This I wanted to see....

With André drilling into the wall he had his back in the direction from where Richard was coming. Fortunately the hammer action of the drill drowned the excited greetings from Richard's former co-workers who quickly shut up when he held up his hand for silence. Once behind André he gently tapped him on his shoulder. Nothing happened so he moved to the back of Andre's head and gave him a gentle slap.

We all knew André and what followed may as well have been a movie script. Slap him on his head and you had better be a very good friend or running.... His head jerked forward in shock and then he wheeled around with fury written all over his face. It took him long enough but recognition hit and a rather new, very expensive cordless impact drill hit the ground with a clattering thud as the two men grabbed each other in a crushing bear hug. Both were laughing happily and I saw some of the other workers look away in embarrassment when Richard found it necessary to wipe at his eyes.

I walked away. I suddenly had a good feel about this project and I was smiling almost constantly. Later I noticed Richard doing the rounds, greeting his former colleagues and meeting those that were new to him, always with palms clasped together in that beautiful African way of showing humble reverence and goodwill.

The sun was hanging low over the horizon when the remaining trucks arrived. Once the wretched Richard had been subjected to more heartfelt greetings, feverish activity took place to have everything taken from the trucks and packed in our lay down area. While this happened Steven and his men fitted the gas geysers as André got his fires and kitchen going with Richard staying close to him, chattering all the time.

From the ablutions came raucous laughter and friendly jabs as men washed the dust from them in the luxury of hot water, something many of them had no access to at home.

Steven and Gary came to sit with me while we watched dinner happening. Once again I had a beer in my hand when two hands came to rest on my shoulders.

"Please remain seated Kevin," I heard Cathy's voice tinged with amusement above my head and saw the other two start in surprise. Gary came to his feet at speed and almost knocked Steven over in his haste to stand. Cathy giggled and with shaking head walked around my chair, still with her hand on my shoulder, preventing me from standing while holding out her hand in greeting to the others. I expected Gary to stutter and he did not disappoint. Steven slid into his charming self and I saw Cathy wink at him. The charm shattered....

"I see bright lights in the ablutions?" she grinned as she sat down next to me.

I nodded towards Gary. "The master electrician at work. There is also hot water and doors that can lock."

She pursed her lips and tilted her head. "Impressive."

"We aim to please."

"You didn't move my camp," she said with soft accusation and I could almost hear Gary swallow his tongue.

"You didn't come for breakfast. How was I to know you still wanted to move in with me?" Gary's tongue got itself coughed up.

"Smack in the teeth," she giggled. "I guess I deserve that one but your camp was still dark at four this morning."

"That when you left?"

She gave me a quick up-down. "Do you think I find birds having coffee, waiting for me at their nest? I have to be there before they wake up and move out."

I raised my finger. "Good point. Need help?"

She nodded and I saw her bite her lip. "I was scared last night. That crowd over there is not nice. Twice somebody came and fiddled with the zipper of my tent and only left when somebody raised his voice after I yelled at him."

I sighed. "Not good. Next time yell louder." I nodded over to Gary and Steven. "Let's go."

Gary called over his shoulder and by the time we arrived at Cathy's little campsite we had a group of about eight men. A few of the other crowd were close by but quickly moved away as we neared. With such a big workforce Cathy's camp almost disappeared before their eyes. One particular individual caught my eye as he leered at us and I took note of his clothing.

I was rather pissed off when I saw Cathy's tent being erected quite a distance from mine between those of my workers but the way she smiled at me made it clear she was quite at ease about it. I also knew that the devil himself would be well advised to not approach her tent. Those working for us were fiercely loyal and that loyalty would extend to Cathy immediately. Minutes later I nearly tripped up when I heard her speaking to Mike in his native Tsonga in a way that made it sound like she was raised as one of them and I knew, touch Cathy and death will be long in coming.

She got her things together for a shower and I held out the key to her. "Enjoy."

"That whole ablution for me alone?"

I shrugged and Steven chirped up; "There is a sign of a girl on the door. Last time I checked we don't fit the description.".

As she walked away I noticed a few of our guys just ambling along to one side and they took up positions just close enough to Cathy's ablution to be ready for whatever without being obtrusive. Mike walked past and I called him over.

"There in the Sboro crowd is a guy with a yellow T-shirt with some political slogan, red pants and a beanie. I don't like the looks of him and the way he leered at Cathy makes me think it may have been him that bothered her last night. Very arrogant and challenging attitude. You have a gift. Just drift up there and put out your feelers if you don't mind."

Mike scowled at me. "He bothered her?"

"Someone tugged at her tent zipper twice. I don't think she slept much after that."

For a while Mike was still drifting around camp and then he was gone. As Cathy returned from her shower Mike suddenly appeared at my elbow again.

"I spoke to the man Mnumzaan. He is a racist and left wing political activist. He has no respect for white women and he is a suspect in a number of rape cases." He grumbled. "He will be going home tomorrow. It has been decided."

"Thanks Mike," I grinned and he walked away. What had transpired in the other camp I may never know but the fact that the individual will be leaving was a weight off my shoulders. There was something very off about him but I also noticed that Cathy was never allowed to be too far away from any of us so it was not just me being queasy. Silently I hoped she didn't mind being guarded.

I saw her chatting to Mike and a group of our men, holding up one of her boots for inspection in the light of a torch. Loud exclamations of surprise and wonder made her laugh and Mike gently took the boot in his gigantic hands. He held a powerful torch close and felt around the top of the boot, shaking his head. He gave it back to her and I heard him say in Tsonga. "Nganakati, you are a mother worthy of this great land." This was met with loud applause from those around them.

Her boot was passed along the entire group and I heard more than one extended phrase of high praise piled on her. It also seemed that the title 'princess' had been given to her and was freely used by all. I was quite curious by the time she joined us again, boot in hand.

"The boot?" I asked as she stood next to Steven and she grinned at us.

"I was stupid today and stepped on a large Puff Adder." She leaned over and gave it to me, indicating a discoloured blotch and two small pinpricks rather high up. "The fangs went through the leather and the poison went into my thick woollen sock." She giggled: "There was so much poison in my sock it I could feel it as I walked away."

I wanted to say something but my throat had closed up. As I gave back the boot my hands were shaking so much I nearly dropped it. She gave me a curious glance and held out the boot to Gary and Steven to look at.

"Are you scared of snakes Kevin?" she asked softly. I looked up into those beautiful eyes and felt bile rise. I heard Gary mutter "shittt" as I lunged from the chair and made some fast steps before gasping loudly. It hurt like hell and I stumbled in the dark, fighting to keep from throwing up and trying to make some distance from the crowd I knew was staring at me with baffled concern. The gasping diminished and I stumbled further into the dark, trying to recover. At last I could breathe properly again and I stood there slowly taking deep breaths, fighting the dark cloak of pain in my chest. I looked for and found the Southern Cross, Maureen's favourite stellar constellation, staring at it for minutes. At first the pain got worse but at last it started to abate. I wanted to scream.

A hand came to rest on my shoulder and I felt her body behind me. "I'm sorry Kevin," she said softly into my back. "I didn't know."

"You had no way of knowing anyway," I said with a heavy sigh.

"May I know what happened?"

I sighed into the dark. "A huge black mamba had taken refuge in the rafters of an old and rickety building. Instead of simply leaving it alone and give it a chance to escape, the fools tried to drive it out and succeeded in making the structure collapse. Maureen was standing to one side watching the spectacle and when the building collapsed the terrified snake sailed in her direction. She desperately tried to get out of its way but she tripped and fell."

I felt her hand grip my shoulder tighter and I coughed. "Her struggles to get out of the way may have been the reason for the attack but whatever the reason. It bit her in her neck. I ran with her to the car but she was already unresponsive by the time I got her into it. I still raced to the nearest town as fast as I could, begging her to stay awake but ...."

My voice cracked and I shuddered a ragged breath into me. I stood there gasping for a while as painful memories flashed by, ripping through my chest. I needed to do something. Anything other than stand there and fight waves of nauseating emotion. I reached up and found Cathy's hand where it rested on my shoulder, covered it with mine and pulled it to me. She sighed softly and I pulled her hand to my face. I turned her palm towards me and pressed it to my lips in a forceful kiss. How we did it we never figured out but we got ourselves face to face and our lips met. I groaned my pain and surrendered to the power she had to heal me.

You can only share so much air before having to come up for a breath and we stood there, staring at each other in the gloom.

"What happened here?" she asked hoarsely and I pulled her to me hearing the soft sigh as our bodies mashed together.

"I don't know but I like it. Whatever it is."

I felt her nod against my chest and I kissed the top of her head before pushing her away and muttered a breathy "Thanks."

She tilted her head up at me. "What for?"

"I don't know. This.... Being you I guess. Just being...."

Her face was still tilted up at me and she slid her arms around my neck, pulling me down to her. The kiss was glorious and I allowed myself to be enveloped by her soul. We kissed, separated, looked at each other and kissed again a number of times until the searching beam of a flashlight briefly played over us. It went away and then returned to remain on us for a second or two. Whistles, cheers, jibes and clapping broke out at our camp and I pushed her from me.

"Our game is up," I grinned at her and she giggled.

"What to do? Return or elope?"

With a chuckle I took her hand and we started back to camp knowing we were in for a good natured roasting. André came waddling towards us with two glasses of wine which he offered to us with an exaggerated flourish.

"To the cutest couple in camp tonight!" he called loudly and amidst loud cheers led us to two seats at the dinner table. It was set in exactly the same way as the others but to me it felt preciously different. As we were seated the rest of the crews started taking their seats and soon a Babylonian confusion of different languages filled the night air. The almost constant but furtive glances at the two of us made it very clear that we were the main topic of discussion and I smiled at her. It felt great.

She leaned closer. "What's for dinner?"

"Potjie," I grinned and she raised her fists into the air.

"Yesss," she cheered and waved at André from across the fire. "You are my hero!"

He strolled over and grinned at her. "Your hero? What for?"

"Making a potjie. I will give my soul for that stuff."

He leaned over and tapped her hand that rested on the table. "Seems that Kevin had first go at that?"

Playfully she leaned into me but even in the dim light from a few storm lamps on the tables I could see her blush. "I'll keep some for you," she giggled and in a moment she found my hand under the table. The squeeze felt warm.

Our wine glasses were kept from going empty by numbers of attendant hands so we agreed to slow down. As a rule I drank sparingly and upon my question she confirmed that she also kept to a maximum of two glasses for an evening. By the looks of it we had passed that a while ago but I think I was too euphoric to notice any effects.

Gary came towards our table with two plates heaped high and I laughed at Cathy. "I hope you are hungry young lady."

She grinned at me, took a careful bite and then forgot all about me. How that beautiful body got itself around such a gigantic amount of food I could not understand but at least she saved me from fainting in surprise by refusing another helping. She excused herself and walked up to André where he was seated amongst his own team. I saw her lean over to him, saw him laugh and then she took up a seat next to him. Sparrows chirping in the morning.... Soon she was surrounded by quite a number of men and from the almost constant sound of laughter I guessed they were having a good time.

Richard appeared at my side and sat down with his customary glass of water. He took a sip from it as if it was some exotic alcoholic masterpiece and held his head close to mine, indicating with his glass at Cathy chatting away with our guys as if she had known them for years.. "You have chosen well Mnumzaan," he said softly.

I chuckled. "Early days my friend."

He nodded. "Yes but I can see she makes you happy. Maybe it is time...."

I didn't respond. I sat there staring into the night sky remembering the way she felt on my lips. The way her body fitted into mine. The subtle taste of her.

The senior guys started drifting over and soon we were sitting around Richard, waiting for the briefing he had promised. I was impressed with the way he presented it all. In the light of a gas lamp I pored over the entire document handed to me and for the life of me, I could fault nothing in the planning.

"Will the other guys stick to the schedule?" I asked as I sat back, looking around at our teams still eating or simply talking among themselves.

Richard chuckled. "The contract you signed is not open to negotiation or change. This thing will be finished on time. Forty eight hours behind schedule and I bring in other contractors to get the job back in line. All of that at the cost of the lagging contractor. Sboro made a big noise and tried to threaten me. Within an hour I had a letter releasing him from his obligations of this contract. He almost fell in his haste to comply."

"That applies to us as well?" I chuckled and he grinned at me.

"No favourites Mnumzaan."

Steven cackled with laughter. "You taught him too well Kevin."

"The way it should be," I mumbled and looked at Gary. "I suggest you strip the eastern part of camp while Sboro strips and prepares the centre section for new installations according to Richard's planning. That way we won't trip over each other and we will not sit around and wait. I will take my teams and strip Blocks D, F and G. E, where we are at now we leave until we have at least one other ablution completely finished."

I turned to Steve. "You strip the chalets until Sboro is done with their prep at centre. Then you leave what is left to us and move into centre section. You have four days to do that but I am sure you can be done in three. Most of it should simply be refitting and very little new work. Then Sboro's builders can move in a day early and start tiling. Once they are finished at least one of our teams will be ready to fit and we can be done in a day."

123456...8