Night Games Pt. 09

Story Info
Helen and Susan spend time with The Family.
4.2k words
4.85
3.6k
3
0

Part 9 of the 22 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 01/29/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Schiffer broke a bottle on Morgan's head. And now me steppin' on the Devil's tail.

Across the stripes of a full moon's head. And through the bars of a Cuban jail.

Bloody fingers on a purple knife. Flamingo drinkin' from a cocktail glass.

I'm on the lawn with someone else's wife. Admire the view from up on top of the mast."

-Tom Waits, "Jockey Full of Bourbon"

*

Contessa Helena de San Finzione, Susan Bailey, and Nigel Mander got into the back of La Contessa's limousine. Once they were all in, Scappa, her driver, departed the castle.

"Don't get too comfortable." Helen told the others. "We're not going far yet."

"But you said to dress nicely for it." Susan noted.

"Yes. We're paying a social call on one of the castle's neighbors."

Susan looked over at Mander, who was wearing a nice suit.

"I'm used to seeing you in cargo shorts and a t-shirt." Susan pointed out to him. "Except that tux you bought that one day in Seattle."

"I've got nice clothes too." Mander told her. "And Her Countessness is right. Where we're going, you want to look presentable."

The limo passed through the castle gates and onto Strada al Castillo. They turned left and drove for about two blocks before Scappa pulled into a driveway on a sprawling estate.

"Lovely garden." Susan commented, admiring the lush, rich foliage that the family who lived here spent decades cultivating. "TV WAS bullshitting me, wasn't it? Crime really does pay."

"Depends how good you are at it." Mander replied. Helen reached out for a fist-bump, and he took it. Helen spoke next.

"And the kind of people we're going to see today are good at it. Or they were. I might be throwing you into the deep end a bit, bringing you along with us. Our conversations today should be cordial, but these are people you've seen in movies. The kind of people for whom The Law is a natural enemy, Susan. Like Star Wars fans and other Star Wars fans."

"Don't let Julie hear you say that." Susan replied.

"Oh, she's one. She knows. But yes, we're starting at the top because he just happens to be one of my neighbors."

The car pulled up to the Nessuno estate's main house. Mander stepped out and held the door for the two ladies. A man in a pinstripe suit was leaning against the wall next to the door. Mander regarded the bulge under his jacket. The man looked back and did the same. Susan started whistling the theme from "The Godfather."

"No." Helen quietly suggested. "Don't do that. It might be offensive."

Helen and Susan walked toward the door. The man who'd been leaning against the wall stood up and pressed the doorbell for them. The chime rang out the theme from "The Godfather." Susan looked over at Helen. She shrugged and the door opened.

"Contessa!" The middle-aged woman who opened it proclaimed, speaking English for her guest. "It has been too long! How are the Royal Twins?" She turned to the man on the door. "Gino, cocoa and an ash tray for La Contessa." The man snapped to attention and went inside. She turned to Susan. "I'm sorry, you are new. Do you want cocoa too?" Susan indicated that she didn't and let Helen speak.

"They're doing well, Donna Nessuno." Helen replied. "I'm sorry I don't have time to show you any pictures today. I'd love to see some photos of your children and grandchildren too, but I'm afraid I have some business with your husband."

"Well, I see them on the news the day before yesterday. They are very cute and princely in their robes. Come, I take you to Salvatore."

Helen smiled at that. Donna Nessuno led the way and the three of them followed. After walking through a hallway that Susan noticed was almost as spacious as the ones in the castle, they reached an office door. Donna Nessuno knocked and entered.

"Salvatore, La Contessa is here."

The portly man behind the desk got up and crossed the room to kiss Helen's wedding ring.

"Contessa," Don Salvatore Nessuno said to her. "It is an honor to have you again in my home. And Mander, good to see you again." He looked over at Susan. "I don't believe we have met."

"Hi." Susan said, approaching him. "My name's Susan Bailey. You have a lovely home."

The Don took Susan's hand and kissed it. She wondered for a moment if she was supposed to kiss his ring or not when he returned to his desk and lit a cigar. He offered one to Mander.

"I know, I know. You are watching La Contessa now. You smoke it later, no?"

Helen took the cigar and passed it to Mander. He stuck it in his pocket and smiled. The Don turned back toward La Contessa.

"I trust that this visit is not about the last inspection of the girls."

"No." Helen replied, taking a seat. "They're all old enough, being treated well, and are there of their own free will, so we have no problems. I'm here about another matter that's no doubt already reached your ears."

"Ah, the diamond." The Don confirmed, taking a puff of his cigar. "A nice prize, but I would know that such a theft would become a political matter. And that is La Contessa's territory alone. None of my people would be involved in this. But if she wishes me to call them in so she can use her magic on them..."

"That won't be necessary, Salvatore. I never thought they would. We have two names so far. Americans; Morris Sinclair and Gordon Walker. My first question would be if you are aware of these men and if they've ever operated in San Finzione."

The Don thought for a few puffs.

"I've heard of them. By reputation. They are known for stealing gems and other things. Never here, though. I've had no word of them entering the country."

Gino entered the room bearing a silver tray. He set it down on the Don's desk, within La Contessa's reach. She lit a cigarette and picked up the cocoa.

"But you've heard of them." She took a drag, then a sip. "From people who might know more. If I have to go down the chain like that, I will. But I'd rather not." She subtly made the next part a command. "So, if you could remember who told you, that would be helpful."

Don Nessuno subconsciously worked his brain harder until he found the answer.

"The Suede. Yes, that was who mentioned them. About a jewel they'd stolen in his country a year or so ago. I think they almost got caught but got away somehow. The Suede would know more."

Helen took another sip of cocoa.

"You know he doesn't like it when people call him that. But I thank you. Looks like we'll be talking to The Suede next."

She and the Don continued smoking and chatting while Helen finished her cocoa. Mander stood silent and Susan sat quietly, not knowing if she should say anything or not until Helen turned to her.

"Susan, dear, you've been quiet. Any thoughts so far?"

Susan blinked before answering.

"Sorry, we're going to see the suede? Like a couch or a jacket?"

"The Suede is a man. I'll explain on the way. Or maybe I'll let him. It'll give him something to complain about. He likes doing that." She turned back to Don Nessuno. "I'm afraid we must be off. Don't let him know I'm coming if you don't mind. I'd like it to be a surprise."

"Of course not, Contessa." He rose from his chair. Mander walked to the door and opened it. "The Nessuno Familia is always happy to receive you."

He kissed Helen's ring again and she kissed his. Susan sensed that it was time to go and walked to stand by Mander. This was her first time accompanying Helen on something like this, but she figured out that La Contessa leaves the room first in this situation.

"It is always a pleasure to visit your lovely home, Don Nessuno."

Gino returned to escort them to their car. They returned to La Contessa's limousine. When they were in the limo and Gino returned to his post, Susan finally spoke up.

"I'm guessing from all this that we just spoke to the crime boss of San Finzione. The one who's not you, I mean, Helen. And now we're going to see someone named after leather?"

"This is how it works, Susan. This is what Mander and I do when you're not around."

"I thought there'd be more shootouts and explosions."

"We do that, too. But the people we'd have to do that to won't know anything." Helen replied. Mander took out his cigar and sniffed it before putting it in a more secure inside pocket. "Besides, I'm not going to do anything dangerous on Take Your Susan To Work Day."

As the limo turned back onto Strada al Castillo to head down La Collina, Susan looked out the window at two utility workers dragging a big machine across the road. She reflected on Helen's words and quietly reflected on how saying things like that tended to end up for Helen.

* * *

Dr. Miguel Rocco, San Finzione's Minister of Science, stepped off the elevator onto the first floor of the Ministry's main building. The receptionist informed the head of the Geology department that Dr. Rocco was here, and Dr. Will McTavish came out to meet him.

"I wasn't expecting to see you down here today, Dr. Rocco." Dr. McTavish told him.

"That'd be why they call it a surprise inspection, Will." He replied. "You know how it goes. This won't take long."

Dr. McTavish indicated that he understood. The point of these random inspections was to make certain that everyone was following proper procedures and cleanup methods. For the geology department, that mainly consisted of the Minister making certain the place was being regularly vacuumed and dusted.

"I trust you'll find everything to your satisfaction."

The two men started walking through the department, the Minister looking around and using a stylus to periodically tick off a box on the new FinTech tablet he carried.

"I'm sure I will." Dr. Rocco answered. "Yours is one of the easier departments to inspect. Viral Pathology is next on my list after you, and that's going to take up most of my day. Figured I'd get the one that doesn't require putting on a clean suit out of the way first."

They stopped so the Minister could admire a particularly lovely geode.

"Yes." Dr. McTavish affirmed. "Not much changes in our department. Dr. Grant brought in some new fossils earlier in the week; those are being examined. You might say that things are set in stone around here."

Dr. Rocco gave a laugh at that. It was only fair. He subjected the man to his Robotics jokes as well.

They continued their tour until they reached a row of surveying equipment. Dr. Rocco stopped at a gap between two large pieces of equipment. He looked down at his tablet.

"Will?" Dr. Rocco asked, his tone changing. "Can you tell me why the €90,000 Ground-Penetrating Radar unit that is supposed to be here is not?"

"It's been checked out to some archaeology students from the university for the day. They came for it earlier."

Dr. Rocco tapped the stylus on the tablet a bit more.

"I see. And someone has called the university to confirm that there is a dig going on?"

"They showed up before I arrived this morning, so I'd think someone did. They had your authorization form."

Dr. Rocco's brow furrowed.

"I haven't signed anything out of your department recently." He told McTavish. "Let me see that form."

The two of them walked back to reception. Dr. McTavish asked the receptionist for the form. She handed it to him, and he passed it to the Minister, who looked it over.

"That looks like my signature, but I didn't authorize this."

Dr. McTavish motioned for the Minister to follow him to his office.

"We'll check the tracker." He said. McTavish sat at his computer and pulled up a program. He looked for the unit's tracker.

"According to this, they took it to a diner a couple blocks away, and then the tracker went dead."

Dr. Rocco took out his phone and called La Policia.

"I must speak to the prefect." He told the person who answered. "This is Dr. Rocco at the Ministry of Science. There's been a major theft."

* * *

Spencer Malone sat at his computer aboard Franz Hauber's yacht. He'd drawn the best map he could for Morris and Gordon and was reading the r/sanfinzione page while he monitored the local police band. La Contessa hadn't turned on her computer since Morris tapped into it, so there was nothing for him to do on that front for now.

He came to a section about urban legends of San Finzione and decided to click on it. Spencer scrolled through the posts, surprised at how many titles contained the words "La Contessa" or "Contessa Helena." He clicked on one and started reading.

"Heh." He heh-ed to himself. "She-Demon Who Birthed All Witches. Pretty metal."

Tracy Baker emerged from belowdecks, freshly showered, and wearing a two-piece bikini.

"Has Franz come back yet?" She asked Spencer.

"Not yet." He answered. "Hey, did you know that they say the Contessa can't be killed by fire? That's why, almost every time you see her, she's smoking."

Tracy clicked her tongue in irritation. She picked up her phone. She'd call him once she got sat down in a deck chair. Everyone else had been out there, and there wasn't much to do until Alice found the entrance to the secret passage, so she might as well join them.

"I'd heard that one." She replied, stopping to read over his shoulder. "Do they have the one about her sleeping in Dracula's coffin?"

Spencer slapped his knee.

"IT'S RIGHT HERE!" He yelled through his laughter. Tracy left him to his reading. As she stepped out the door, he clicked on a link entitled "La Contessa controlled my mind! BYSTANDER EFFECT BULLSHIT!"

She raised the phone up to dial Franz when she heard Oscar Dodge setting down his magazine.

"You all right, Tracy?" She seemed stunned by the question. "I study faces, it's what I do. You're gonna get wrinkles if you keep yours that way. And you're too beautiful for me, as someone who has to work with that face, to allow that to happen. So, what's wrong?"

Tracy smiled and dragged one of the deck chairs over to face the older gentleman.

"Franz is taking a while to get back." She told him. "And I'm starting to feel like a wicked stepmother for keeping everyone confined here."

"You're right to be worried. The man's a drug addict. A good con, but still. A person like that, when it comes down to either their loyalty to you or getting their next fix, has already made that choice."

"Well, he and Alice have been having it off, so I presume he's well-stocked. Then, of course, there's also that to worry about."

She cocked her head back in the direction of Morris Sinclair, who'd stopped pacing and was now playing with a fidget cube, so he'd have something to do with his hands besides smoke more.

"That's a problem that can be solved with a couple crossword puzzles." Oscar observed. "I'll see if I brought any. But that brings us back to my point about Franz. Is he well-stocked? You only gave us two days to get here. He wasn't with us in New York, and I don't know where he was when you called him, but he wouldn't have had time to buy more before leaving. And he sailed this thing here in two days somehow."

"You make a good point, Oscar." Tracy said, calling him. "Straight to voicemail. FUCK!"

Morris stopped playing with his cube and looked over at her.

"Nothing, Morris. Nothing." She assured him.

"Tracy!" Spencer called from inside. She got up and went in.

Spencer had turned the volume up on his computer. The police band chatter was now filling the room. He was listening intently, a puzzled look on his face.

"I had this on for you. I don't know Italian, so I don't know most of what they're saying. But 'ministero della scienza.' That's 'ministry of science,' ain't it?"

Tracy listened. She heard the dispatcher telling all nearby officers and cars to investigate a theft at the Ministry.

"MORE FUCK!" Tracy yelled, looking around for her comms earpiece. She remembered she took it out to shower and ran down to her stateroom to get it.

"Gordon, Alice. They've found out about the theft. How far along are you?"

Alice Mei answered her back.

"We're closing in on it. Couple more spots and we'll have it."

"Well, someone's noticed the thing missing, so they'll be looking for it now. Get the job done and dispose of it. I'm calling Franz to retrieve you if he'll ever answer his bloody phone. Franz, are you fucking listening right now?"

* * *

Franz Hauber gave a wide berth to the thugs leaning against the expensive cars outside the restaurant. Some of them looked freshly bandaged, as if they'd just come from the hospital and went right to work hanging out around these cars. With all the injuries, they didn't look like very effective trouble, but trouble, nonetheless. He bypassed them and descended into the restaurant.

The restaurant didn't serve breakfast, and at this hour of the morning, the staff were still taking the chairs down from the tables. None of them asked the business of the man in the nice suit who'd just walked in. He strolled toward the door with the "Privato" sign on it.

"I have business with your boss." He told the two men guarding the door in Italian. One of them stayed and watched him while the other went through the door. A few seconds later, he came back and nodded to the other thug, who allowed Franz to enter.

"FRANZ!" Fabrizio Silvestri called out, rising from the card table that he and the three men he'd been with yesterday were gathered around, cutting lines. He stopped in his tracks. "You look different. To say the least."

Franz wondered what Fabrizio was talking about when he remembered all the pieces of latex glued to his face.

"Oh, ja." He replied. "I am laying low in San Finzione. This disguise helps me go unnoticed. On that subject, Fabrizio, I would appreciate it if no one knew I was here."

"Of course, of course." Fabrizio assured him. "Fabrizio is the very soul of discretion. Now, I should ask... but then again, I shouldn't ask your business, right? I mean, people only come to Fabrizio for one thing."

"Ja. And you have that thing, right?"

Fabrizio gestured to the three men snorting rails on the mirror.

"My guests and I are still sampling the newest product." Fabrizio snorted. "It is that good. How much would you like?"

Franz thought about that.

"Let's see... I am entertaining a lady, receiving a few guests, and after that, I will be looking to leave San Finzione, and I don't know where I'm going next, so I'll need enough to last me. A quarter kilo should be enough."

Fabrizio pondered things a moment. He had the coca, certainly. But would he call Franz a regular or an out-of-towner? Certainly, whenever he came to San Finzione, they did business. The semantic argument in this situation could mean the difference between life and death for Fabrizio.

"Si, Si. A quarter kilo is no problem. It must be a big gathering or a large trip, but Fabrizio can accommodate you. Come, have a sample with us." Fabrizio took his desk chair and dragged it over to the table so there would be five seats.

Franz hesitated. He needed to get back to the others, but he also needed this. It was better than his plan to get back to his car, then take a couple bumps before driving back to the yacht. And hey, free coke! Fabrizio wiped off his own golden straw and offered it to Franz, who accepted. He then cut a generous line for Franz and gestured for him to help himself. Franz gave a deep exhale, careful not to do it toward the table and blow precious powder about. One end of the straw touched the inside of his nose and the other dragged across the line as he snorted mightily.

He could feel it. His blood starting to percolate again. The haze of low-grade exhaustion lifting away. The taste at the back of his throat that would be there for hours. Everything was right with the world again.

"So, will you be in town long?" Fabrizio asked.

"Nein." Franz answered, holding a finger to each nostril, and sniffing to get the rest of the powder into his sinuses. "Only a few days. I expect to leave the day after tomorrow."

12