Night Walker's Woman Ch. 11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes, well, that does not settle anything as far as the ASPCA is concerned," came the cranky voice from the end of the table.

"Like I said, if you'll get the DA to drop the charges against my Daddy, you can have the damned horses."

"Wait a minute, son. Them horses are valuable — your Mama's pride and joy. Don't be so rash. I'm sure Mitch can drag that court case out long enough to give this old man time to die in peace," Tybor chuckled.

"Thoroughbreds aren't much use on a cattle ranch, Daddy. I'd much rather have you spend your time getting to know my family than tied up with court cases. We can pick out a few nice ponies for Sarah together."

Tybor Marshall paused, looking at his son before nodding slowly.

Jaycee was about to steal the deal when Rex came into the room. "We need you."

She did not have to question why. Even without the mental link they shared now, the answer was written in the drawn lines of his handsome face.

"Angel," she said as she stood and headed down the hall without a word to anyone.

***

Rex hated this impotent feeling as he stood behind his mate. Lupe had administered the emergency seizure medication over two minutes ago, but his daughter continued to jerk violently on her bed. His mate rubbed her shoulder and whispered softly as tears streaked down her face.

There was absolutely nothing more they could do for a few more moments, though Lupe was already preparing another syringe of the medication. "Give it a couple more moments, Senora. She may come around. If not, then I will give more."

Jaycee turned her frightened gaze to her friend and nurse, "Why, Lupe? She's been doing so well. We've never had to give her a second dose before," her voice pleaded.

Rex felt his fists tighten as his throat choked back his pleas. But to whom those prayers were sent, he had never been certain. His mother's god of ritual that had little to do with the simple carpenter who had taught love and forgiveness. The self-absorbed, trickster gods of war that were his father's Norse pantheon. Or...

He felt the calm begin to bubble up from the bit of his stomach as his grandfather placed his hand on his shoulder. The man placed his other hand on Jaycee's, "May I, child?"

His mate started to shake her head, but then looked down at her daughter whose lips had taken on a deep blue tinge, she scooted over on the bed, making room for Grandfather.

The man knelt on the floor next to the bed. Though his grandfather was an active man for his more than seven decades on this planet, Rex knew that it must be painful for knees that had seen better days. His wrinkled and gnarled fingers brushed a curl back from his daughter's face, and she drew in a deep breath, the first in a minute or more.

Grandfather closed his eyes, then held out his arms in greeting and supplication to the ancient forces that even after a lifetime of research seemed more mystery than certainty. Rex watched his lips begin to move. His words were familiar but quiet.

"Mother, sing me a song that will ease my pain, mend broken bones, bring wholeness again."

Rex released his breath and the tears that he had been holding inside, as he closed his eyes and centered his thoughts on the words, "Catch my babies when they are born, sing my death song, teach me how to mourn."

He fumbled over those words as he felt Jaycee stiffen. He knew that death, too, was part of life. A door through which the circle was complete. But like his mate, his mind cried out at the injustice of the very idea that one so young and gifted should walk through it too soon.

He sent another prayer to that gentle carpenter, 'please not this.'

His voice cracked, and he faltered as Jaycee drew in a deep breath. He opened his eyes to see why and sighed himself as Angel's little body seemed to relax.

Lupe squeezed in between Grandfather and his mate; her fingers pressed firmly against the column of Angel's neck. She turned with a smile, "It is over now," she confirmed as Angel's breathing seemed to regulate itself, too.

Jaycee collapsed into his arms as Grandfather nodded before continuing the chant quietly, "Show me the Medicine of the healing herbs, the value of spirit, the way I can serve."

"This is bull shit," boomed the voice from the door.

Angel jumped even though she appeared to be still unconscious. Jaycee's shoulders tensed under his fingers, and every eye in the room turned towards the doorway.

Well, over six feet of imposing man stood blocking the exit from Angel's bedroom. Rex was not certain which was more ominous, the man's broad shoulders and chest that virtually blocked even the light from the hallway filtering into the room, or the dark countenance on his face.

"Jaycee, if you think for one moment that I'm standing by and allowing any kind of spiritual healing mumbo jumbo with MY child, then you are crazier than I thought."

He pulled his phone from his suit jacket pocket, "I'm calling Child Protective Services. Judge Pettus will grant me an injunction."

His face contorted with hatred and anger as he stared about the room, "I'm taking MY child back to Dallas where she fucking belongs. Where there are real doctors and real medicine, not this ridiculous Indian chant crap," he waved his hands towards Grandfather.

Jaycee stood up and released her daughter's hand, "I'll speak with you outside, Sean. Angel doesn't need to be disturbed right now."

"What does it matter? The child's fucking out of it, woman. Are you that stupid? I'd thought that you were smarter than that; that you might have potential. But those pregnancy hormones must have fired your brain."

Rex wanted to launch himself across the room and rip the man's throat apart. It was what a throat that could utter such disrespectful rubbish deserved. But Jaycee placed her hand squarely in the center of his chest and shook her head, 'I need to handle this.'

He shook his head and wanted to argue as he watched his very life walk across the room. She barely reached the man's chin, but she squared her shoulders and looked up at her ex-husband, "For your information, Lupe administered the Diastat as prescribed. She had the next dose ready, if necessary. You know, or you should know, that the doctors don't want us to call or bring her in unless..."

"I know what I saw. Some type of heebee-jeebie spiritual garbage and that combined with your sudden move across the state without notifying me will be more than enough evidence for them to grant me full custody," he mouthed as Jaycee pushed him out the door.

Panic rose in Rex's heart as she closed the door behind them. His grandfather reached his hand out and took hold of his arm, "She needs to face her demons alone, my son. And right now, she needs you to be here for your daughter. Help me finish the prayer."

Rex wanted to argue. He wanted to rush from the room, stand between Jaycee and whatever demons she faced, be they physical or emotional. But he had seen the same truth in her eyes. And as hard as it was, being her partner sometimes meant knowing when to let go.

He inhaled and reached for her mind. They were just outside on the porch, arguing. But Jaycee was holding her own, refusing to be intimidated, or allow the man to demean her - again. He had to trust her, trust the link they shared, and ultimately trust in Fate.

He nodded and knelt next to his grandfather by the bed. Lupe was fussing with the blanket that covered Angel's tiny body. She looked so pale; her lips were no longer blue, but the dark circles beneath her eyes made her look as if someone had given her two black-eyes.

Rex lifted her hand; it was still limp, but he felt the pulse in her wrist, beating solidly as he closed his eyes.

"Mother, heal my heart so that I can see the gifts of yours that can live through me." And this precious Angel was the greatest of gifts that the Mother could entrust to him. Her and her mother.

His mind reached for hers, and he was alarmed to feel them moving further from the house. He battled to remain calm and beside his child. Not to break the trust that Jaycee had shown in him. Not to be another controlling son of a bitch like her ex-husband. When you are the partner of a strong woman, you have to allow her to be strong on her own, on her terms.

He was so deep in thought, repeating the chant almost without thought, that he almost missed the gentle squeeze around his hand. It took him a moment to realize what it was. He smiled as he opened his eyes to stare into the depths of Angel's dark brown ones.

But his heart froze in fear as she glanced from him to Grandfather, "Will I be evil like Daddy when I get big? If I will, then let me go to the light."

12