Nights and Days in Hive Acropolis Ch. 13

Story Info
Will anyone come to Vaia's rescue?
4.8k words
4.88
2k
2

Part 13 of the 13 part series

Updated 06/11/2023
Created 09/25/2021
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The days drag. It turns out that, when Vaia devotes nearly all her time to Underhive, the game doesn't prove as difficult as she remembers.

Thanks to a hint or two from Fonso as well, of course.

Before long, Rebeck Goliath, in the form of an @, stands over the bloody, dismembered corpse of the Smuggler Queen ('Q'). It turns out that there are more levels beyond 100, although there doesn't seem to be much purpose to them, except as places to try out the amazing gear that the Smuggler Queen drops.

For the first time, Vaia gets to retire a character alive. The previous 40 or so Rebecks and Sashes (and occasional Vaia) were not so lucky. She checks out the new character classes, and the other New Game+ elements she's unlocked now. She makes a Space Marine first, of course. And calls her Rebeck. Why not?

It is very enjoyable to bulldoze a couple of dozen levels before even meeting a threat, thanks to starting with power armour, a bolter, amazing stats and a host of other bonuses. Fonso proves to have been quite right though. She walks round the corner, straight into an unexpected lascannon blast, and that run's over. YASD.

She finds Redemptionist runs to be very cathartic. And Spyrers have a really weird skill-set that's interesting and hard to adjust to. But at root, the game is still the same.

Right now, she finds herself reduced to playing as a scav, and it's awful. Maybe that's enough Underhive for a while.

Still, she grins, there's still the other hundred or so well-curated games that Fonso keeps on the system! She has no idea what kind of game Arsenal! even is.

That's when she gets a message: she's been summoned to see Manfred again.

***

Not in his office though.

Having told Fonso that something's happening, she makes her way to the compound's negotiation hall. Or the 'deal room'. The place usually used for formal business discussions with other clans, and any other business partners.

Why would he want to meet her there?

When she opens the door, she sees the back of somebody else in the room with Manfred. A... tall, blonde woman.

It's Rebeck!

Vaia nearly jumps out of her skin. She runs straight at her, piling into her and throwing her arms around her.

Many people would have been knocked over. Rebeck just staggers a couple of steps.

"Ow." She turns her head. "Hello."

Vaia looks up at her with total adoration. "You didn't side-step!"

"You didn't roar. Cheat."

"You came for me."

"Of course I did, bitch."

Vaia hugs her again, twice as hard.

Manfred loudly interrupts the reunion.

"Vaia! That is quite enough of that behaviour! This woman has come to present a contract of employment, and an offer to buy out your release. You will sit by me and hear her out, as the law requires. Then it will be rejected. It's high time that you accept your role in this clan again."

Vaia doesn't even look at him. She only has eyes for Rebeck.

"Go and sit with him, Vaia," she says.

Vaia starts to obey. It feels so good.

After a couple of steps, she turns round and mouths, 'I love you, Mistress', at Rebeck. And then licks her lips suggestively.

Rebeck grins back at her.

Manfred is wearing his formal body-suit, and the clan sash. He's even got a holstered auto-pistol, and Manfred never wears a gun around the compound. Only now does Vaia see that Rebeck is dressed in a very well-tailored suit. Some off-world style, for certain. She has a sword of some kind with a fancy hilt on her hip.

Manfred may be claiming that this will all be dismissed out-of-hand, but everything else about the situation suggests a serious, formal proceeding.

She sits down where Manfred indicated, on one side of the table that dominates the room.

Then she smiles at him, and says, "I'm leaving here with her today, Manfred." She's never used his first name like that before. "You're not going to be able to stop it. It's over."

Manfred folds his arms, and grits his teeth.

"You will be silent. If at any stage your opinion is requested, it had better be a wiser one than that!"

Then he looks at Rebeck. Up at Rebeck, as she stands towering on the other side of the table. "Let's hear it then, Madame Goliath."

Rebeck has her notes on the table in front of her, but she doesn't need them. She's practised this speech.

"Monsieur van Saar. My employer, Madame Pallas Athena, Representative of Hive Acropolis, Necromunda, to the Council of Deputies of the Federated Republic coterminous with the Imperium of Man--"

That mouthful was one of the simpler, shorter formal forms of the Republic's extremely complicated, and much argued-over in council session, full name.

"--has instructed me to present to your clan-daughter an offer of full-salaried employment. In that connection, the Representative is prepared to pay in full Vaia van Saar's release from her contract with her clan. Upon acceptance, she will retain her status as a member of House Van Saar, but her vocational relationship with her clan will come to an end. You have been provided with the relevant documents in advance of this in-person meeting."

Houses plan children. They grow them in tubes (except for some rare Cawdor throw-backs who still engage in natural pregnancies) for nine months. They raise them and educate them. Feed and clothe them. They do not permit them to depart without a pay-off that reflects that investment, and the potential they see in them.

Even people like Rebeck and Sash, kicked out of their Houses, still find themselves with various residual debts to the clans that raised them that they have to pay off.

However, the Houses do not own their people. If the required fee, whose amount may be challenged via tribunal, is met, and the clan member is agreeable, they cannot legally be prevented from leaving.

Rebeck is here to buy Vaia's clan contract out. She's going to be free! Free to belong to...

Manfred's voice interrupts her reverie.

"Madame Goliath, I have reviewed the documents in question. However, I must dispute the validity of the proposal. While presently an exalted post, the office of Representative is... a novelty. It is not yet accounted for under the relevant contractual law. My clan may not be required to automatically accept a representative as a suitable employer for one of its clanspeople."

A clause in the law also exists that requires that such buy-outs only be made by entities of suitable standing. Other Houses, imperial authorities, ennobled aristocrats, and so forth. It is one of the safeguards that are intended to ensure that such clauses are not used for sales to unsavoury combines or individuals as part of a system of quasi-slavery.

Vaia is really impressed by how Rebeck-- how her mistress is coping with this formal situation. She surely can't have done anything like this before, but she appears unflappable.

"To suggest that a delegate to the Council of Deputies, whose official duties involve determining interstellar policy, and writing the law of the Republic, duties that were formerly the province of the High Lords of Terra themselves, is not a fit and proper employer could be deemed an affront to the dignity of the Republic itself."

A veiled threat. Under the recent Coterminous Law, the dignity of the Republic is now legally the same thing as the honour of the (missing, presumed deceased) Emperor. In the Imperium, people who impugned the honour of the Emperor had not met good ends. Some believe that the Republic is to be a break from the Imperium in such matters of dissent, but it is new, and changing rapidly, so that remains to be seen.

"Nonetheless," Manfred says hoarsely, "I would feel compelled to take the matter to tribunal."

"This is obvious obstructionism," says Rebeck. From a case, she produces a stack of further documents. "These are precedent cases where Necromundan representatives, including Representative Pallas, were deemed fit and proper employers by other clans, including member clans of House Van Saar, in analogous circumstances to this case all over the planet since the formation of the Council of Deputies. There can be no doubt what the conclusion of any tribunal would be. My employer will not tolerate a blatant effort at delay."

Manfred does not reach for the papers. "Representative Pallas bought out a release before? I thought she only took in waifs, strays and crooks."

Rebeck ignores it.

Vaia has never heard him be so rude!

"I don't want to sound like a character from a bad holo-vid show here." Rebeck is smiling thinly. "But you should realise that, in my capacity as the Representative's head of security--"

"You got your promotion!" Vaia bursts out. "That's great!"

Rebeck grins at her, but continues. "--as her head of security, I have had the privilege of meeting the wife of the Planetary Governor of Necromunda on a number of occasions when my work takes me to Hive Necromunda." A slight exaggeration. They've been at some of the same cocktail parties. They've been introduced. "So when I say that, if necessary, I am prepared to take this matter to the Governor himself, I am not just using a colourful, well-worn expression."

Necromunda's Planetary Governor, Edwin van Saar, is a legendary figure in his own life-time, especially for the House of his birth, living out a new version of the Necromundan dream. A former gang boss, over a century ago, he had joined the Space Wolf Legion soon after its recruitment rate began to escalate rapidly.

Thirty years ago, he returned to Necromunda as a retired Lieutenant Commander, flush with wealth from investments and prize ships taken. In due course, he became one of the leaders of a compact among the six Great Houses -- Orlock, Goliath, Van Saar, Escher, Delaque and Cawdor -- which resulted in the removal from power of House Helmawr, whose members had held the governorship since time immemorial.

With the Great Houses making a deal to rotate the post of Governor among them, Edwin Van Saar became the first to take that job, for a 20-year term that is now overlapping with the sudden, rapid events of the birth of the Republic.

And among other things, Governor van Saar has always been a strong proponent, within his House, of female emancipation.

Manfred van Saar is just the head of an undistinguished Mid-Hive clan, one of over a thousand Van Saar clans in Hive Acropolis. He doesn't even want his name to reach the ears of the Governor, never mind in a less than flattering context which would seem to go against his policies. Manfred has always thought of himself as wanting the best for his clan's young women! Especially Vaia.

Right now, Vaia can see that he's feeling wretched. But it doesn't evoke her sympathy. She's happy. He's going to lose.

"I... I withdraw my objection," Manfred says at last in a very small voice.

"On my employer's behalf, I am delighted to hear that, Monsieur van Saar," Rebeck returns smoothly. While Manfred's head is down, she gives Vaia a quick wink.

"However," Manfred speaks again. "I do still have a number of other concerns."

"That's why I'm here," says Rebeck. She sits down. She doesn't need the height advantage now. The big battle is over.

"This contract is for Vaia's employment as... one of the Representative's air-car mechanics. This role... Vaia is not a qualified air-car mechanic. She is a highly-educated engineer, so I do not doubt that she could accomplish the work. But it is far below being a role that is a match for her capabilities." Manfred gets the words out, but he sounds like a ghost of himself.

"The contract is not indefinite. The Representative likes to operate with a high turn-over of employees. It will not be Ms van Saar's last employment, and having worked for such a prestigious personage will reflect well on her. Moreover, I will take a personal interest in ensuring that she achieves her potential in her professional life."

Manfred turns to Vaia.

"Vaia, surely you don't want to work as a... mere mechanic?"

"What have we come to, Manfred, that a Van Saar of all people, is dissing the profession of mechanic?" she asks.

"That's not what I mean! You're capable of so much more than that."

"Maybe. But I think I'll enjoy it a lot. I've been desperate to do something more hands-on."

"You never told me that!"

"Was I meant to? I've been bored out of my mind for years waiting for something more important to get my teeth into."

"Oh. Well. I... We wanted to see some sign of ambition from you. You seemed content just continuing to study."

"Content? I've been anything but!"

"Well, if so, I didn't know that."

Vaia shakes her head. Clueless.

"But now I do!" he appeals. "Look the plan has always been to move you into becoming the supervisor of the tank factory. We can accelerate that. Greatly."

As his authority departs him, Manfred seems increasingly pathetic to Vaia. "Supervisor of...? Manfred, that would be blatant overpromotion! I'm not ready for a management position. Not to mention that everyone seems to hate me right now."

"They don't hate you. And all this is temporary. Temporary. We're your family, Vaia. There is important work for you to do here. And in the future... Who knows what we might be working on for the Republic? Things are changing so fast. You'll be involved in charting the clan's future, Vaia!"

"No, Manfred, I won't." She takes a little pity on him. "If you'd mentioned all this to me before -- even a few weeks ago! -- I would probably have been very reassured. If it wasn't for the circumstances... no, I wouldn't mind working on tanks at all. But even if I didn't have other reasons--" She glances at Rebeck. "--would you really expect me to choose Rhino variants over the chance to live in a Spire? To work for one of the most important people in the hive? Even if it is as a mere mechanic?"

Manfred says nothing.

Then, turning back to face the calm, smiling Rebeck, he visibly rallies himself for his next throw of the dice.

"I do have another objection. I have grave concerns about the... moral degradation of some of the employees of the Representative who Vaia would be... in the proximity of. Namely yourself."

"Your concerns are immaterial," Rebeck replies. "If Vaia were a minor, that would be another matter, of course. But she's a grown woman and a full citizen. If these were the old days, when Van Saar women were wards of their menfolk, you would have all the power in this situation. But not any longer. Not today. The release clause has been met. You have no valid grounds to block this offer. The decision is Vaia's."

Manfred slumps. "I really can't persuade you to stay, can I, Vaia?"

"No." She smiles sweetly at Rebeck. "Where do I sign?"

"Come round here, babe."

Vaia stands up and moves round to the side of the table she belongs on.

She's been taught to read documents in full. She always reads everything before she signs it. Not this time. She can't do it fast enough, initialling and signing wherever Rebeck indicates.

"That concludes our business, Monsieur van Saar. Thank you for your time. The relevant funds will be transferred to the clan's account before the end of the work-day."

With that, the work of cool, professional Rebeck is done, and she puts an arm around Vaia's shoulders and draws her into a deep kiss.

"I missed you," Vaia says when she can.

"Same here. So much. Are you okay?" Rebeck asks.

"Yes. It hasn't been too bad. And now I'm much more than okay!"

"What about that doctor you mentioned?"

"I managed to stay away from him."

Manfred is still sitting there, dejected. Hearing this exchange rouses him. "Doctor Frank? What has Doctor Frank got to do with anything?"

Vaia's look at him is venomous. "Do you notice anything at all? I was absolutely terrified of ending up alone with him, under his 'care'! I have no idea what he might have done, but I'm sure I wouldn't have liked it."

"You thought that Frank would have... No!"

"I have no idea what he's into. I really don't want to know. But do you have any clue?"

Manfred opens and closes his mouth. "None," he admits. "It's really none of my business to pry into someone's proclivities."

Vaia can only burst out laughing at the hypocrisy. "Of course it isn't! He's a man of about your own age. His private life? None of your business. This young woman's private life?" She points at herself. "Worth shaking the clan to its foundations to find out about, wasn't it?"

Manfred's eyes are wide. "Vaia, that's not... There's another way of seeing it. When you're older, when you're responsible for other people, you'll understand. What you're doing is very unwise."

Vaia sighs. "Manfred, this is Rebeck." She indicates the woman with her arms around her. "I haven't known her very long and I agree, it really is too soon for me to be moving in with her. But I don't feel like I've been left any choice. I like her a lot, and I hope it all works out between us. She must have worked so hard to make this happen today, and it might have cost her cred with her boss for all I know, so I know she cares about me too."

"Yeah, I do." Rebeck bites at her nose.

"If you'd handled things differently, Manfred, you could have met her under quite different circumstances. Maybe I would have brought her here. Introduced her to you as my girlfriend. Emperor help me, I might have tried to get your approval for our relationship!... But you chose to listen to gossip. You spoke to people about me behind my back. You wouldn't trust me and take me at my word.... It's you that's made me choose between my clan and my new friends, Manfred."

Manfred exhales shakily and gathers himself.

"You're angry with me, Vaia. I'm sure you have your reasons for saying what you have. But you're also very, very wrong about me. I care about you. I hope you'll understand that some day."

"I believe that you care. The trouble is that you don't respect me." She pauses. "I'm not kidding about Frank. While you're pursuing your inquisition against obscura and VR, why not ask around about him too? At the very least, you need to know more about someone who gets to be in a position of authority over vulnerable patients."

"Yes, I suppose you're right about that. Come to think of it, there have been complaints against him."

Vaia explodes. "You've got to be fucking kidding me! You've been covering for him!"

"Vaia, young women do make up stories sometimes. They're not all as rational as... as you used to be. There wasn't reason enough to--"

"I am not hearing this!" She looks at Rebeck. "Can we go?"

"I think we better."

As they walk to the door, Vaia half-expects Manfred to declare that he's her father in a last desperate gambit.

At least he doesn't sink to that. "Vaia, the initial period of the contract is only for two years. When it's over, perhaps you'll consider coming back? There'll always be a place for you here."

She doesn't look back. "We'll see." She won't.

***

They leave the deal room and close the door behind them.

Vaia can't keep her hands off Rebeck.

"That was so fucked up," says Rebeck. "I didn't realise that that guy really cared about you that much. Is he, like, your dad or something?"

"If he is, he missed every chance to ever say it. I never want to see him again."

"That, I can arrange." Rebeck hugs her back happily.

"Oh, I love you so much right now! Part of me always knew you'd come. Part of me can't believe you actually did it! Thank you!"

"When I got your message, I wanted to hijack a rocket-plane right back here and blow my way into this place to get you," she tells Vaia. "Look... Don't expect me to say this often, but... I, er, I love you, Vaia."

"Mmm. I love you too, Mistress," Vaia snuggles against her. "Where's Sash?"

"In the car. Want to go see her?"

"Yep."

Rebeck holds out her arms. "Jump up."

12