Nigkala Tales Pt. 25: Down but Not Out

Story Info
My wings are clipped, but I'm still an angel.
10.6k words
4.86
1.4k
00

Part 25 of the 39 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 01/30/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My wings are clipped, but I'm still an angel

Thanks to my editor kenjisato. Also, to LanguageTool. Combined, they put me right. Any problems left all belong to me.

Don't forget to rate the story, and comment on it.

= = = = = = = = = =

So, I am on divine probation. I went a little too far in helping others, and broke some rules I didn't know about. It won't affect my normal life much, but will affect my extracurricular activities. The biggest effect is being unable to make use of planes to go anywhere for a year. Nor could I do any hang gliding. I could let it get me down, or I could work on other parts of my life. I chose the latter.

But I couldn't stay away from it. I found myself spending a fair amount of time in my underground library. Two ideas were on my mind. The first was temporary clothing. The second was solid illusions, like a bed, or a fake hill. Using Jiao-long's teaching as a basis, both ideas began to come forth. There were two ways to deal with clothing. One was to summon forth the clothing from nothing, and the other was to summon forth clothing from a known location. I focused on the latter, as it could also be used to fetch and put things other than clothing. I found I was able to reliably do this at short range, within line of sight, after only two weeks. Another week was enough to fetch from my closet, but returning things to hangers, or folded took an additional two weeks.

Even as I worked on instant clothes, I also worked on solid illusions. The easy part was creating the image of the illusion. I already had a mind capable of holding an image that I would use as the basis of the illusion. But making it solid required more power, and also connecting the magic to an existing solid, like the ground. Eventually, I wanted a solid illusion that I could choose to ignore, like I encountered at Jiao-long's home. Another problem was duration. My initial successes only lasted as long as I focused on them. Figuring out how to make them last, I took a deep dive into nearly all my books before I learned to move the focus to my subconscious mind. Even then, if I slept, it went away.

Once I had achieved an adequate level of success, I spoke with Inanna. "Queen Inanna, I've been doing some research into magic."

"I had noticed."

"I was envious of others who were able to dress or undress with a thought, so I sought to learn or create a spell to do this. My books did not have such a spell, but I managed to create such a spell. It is quite limited, but I hope to improve it. Another spell I wanted was a solid illusion. I recall when I visited Jiao-long, he had a solid illusion so real it felt like reality, yet after a time, I learned to go through it at will. I also recall when we had sex in the jungle, you created a bed for us. I don't know if it was magic or a real bed, but it doesn't really matter. If I could create an illusion that feels like the real thing, solid like a real bed, a tent, or a wall, it would be useful. While I have managed it, it takes a lot of effort, and disappears as soon as I lose focus. I found a way to extend my focus subconsciously, but even that goes away when I sleep."

"I have watched you work, and I saw you reading all your books. The answers you seek are there, but you have not understood what you read. Here are some places you should read again." She then gave me a list of references. I understood where each was, so I resolved to read them again soon. "I am sure you will solve your little difficulty."

"I thank you for your confidence, and for your advice."

"Come, daughter, don't be petulant. I know you feel put upon by our judgment."

"I am sorry, I have tried to put it out of mind, but it does sneak in from time to time."

"Part of the fault is An's. He should have informed you about the rules of heaven, especially as you already showed a propensity of pushing boundaries. I also bear some fault, as I saw your potential, and failed to teach you, as well. While we are not formally punished, we remember our failures for a long time. While our failure with you is minor, it is still a failure, and I see it has affected our relationship."

"No, it hasn't. I understand how it can happen, and how unlikely such trespass was back then. Neither of you had reason to expect this of me. Until there was the need, I would never have thought of it, either. This country has many laws, and we even have a saying about ignorance of a law not being an excuse, so I accept that I was guilty. We try to show mercy when it happens, and I think you did, but it still is a restriction on me."

"Your people have learned. Back when we met, the rulers were not so wise."

"True, yet their rule was limited. If you went far enough away, you escaped their reach. These days, that is harder to do. Don't worry about it. I have already accepted it, and am just trying to cope. I am sorry, and I truly am thankful for your belief in me. People are not perfect, and I don't expect it of them, let alone of myself. We can only try, and I strive to be better. Part of my coping is exploring magic, and it has been interesting, and at times, frustrating. While I have succeeded in the main goal, I have not got it to where I want it. Those passages you mention, I expect, will get me further along, and perhaps further than I thought to go."

"How far you go, depends on you, and I think you can go very far, indeed."

"We shall see. You have given me much to think about, both the magic and other things."

"Goodnight, then."

In the quiet that followed, I sensed she had turned her attention from me. I considered her words, and my own. I needed to clear my head and think unfettered by distractions. Tomorrow, I would do a large sand painting to clear my mind. But right now, I would sleep.

After my morning swim, I went to my craft room, and cleared the large cosplay table. I normally used it for making large outfits, or props - but today, it would become the place of my sand painting. With as large a painting as I wanted, the small jars would not have enough. So I left them on their shelf, and instead, opened the supply urns. These were smaller than the ones I made for Mato, but they still held a lot of colored sand. I would use some of my desert power to bring the sand to me, and use the earth power, as before, to sense the sand. Then there was the question of what the image would be.

Should I make something abstract, or real? Will it be something mundane and ordinary, or something unusual? Thinking about it for a while, I was inspired with the perfect image. I would soon be making the necklace for Aja's amber in this very place, and what better inspiration than an image of her as I saw her in the throne room. I felt that would be how she wanted to be known formally, but I felt it was also something she was comfortable in. With the choice settled, it was time to begin. Being curious about what I look like to others, I set the security system to record this to a special file.

I placed myself on the side of the table closest to where I would do the jewelry work. This side would be 'down', so that when I looked over, her image would be right side up. I then began calming myself with martial-art techniques. When I felt calm, I then held out a hand and thought the first word, and used my desert power to bring sand from that urn to my hand. When my hand was full, I repeated the word in my thoughts, and started by creating the outline of the painting. I could not reach the far parts, so I went around the table to reach them. As I needed more sand, I thought of the word and held out my hand to receive more from the urn. As I dribbled out the sand, I thought about the word, and the thoughts it inspired in me.

With the extra work needed to access the sand, and maneuver about the table, it took nearly twenty minutes to get the needed rhythm. Once that happened, I no longer needed to think the word to get more sand, but rather, it came as needed. A few minutes later, I was no longer thinking about how to move around the table. It just happened as it needed to. At that point, I lost track of time, and my focus was so tight upon the painting, I didn't notice my eyes closing, nor the subtle bending of the dribbled sand as it fell. I learned of those things when I watched the video later. I also learned that my body moved with a grace and precision that showed my mind and body were in perfect harmony. The painting took five hours in all, and when I came back to reality, my mind was clear.

Suddenly, from behind me, I heard, "You are an exceptional artist."

Startled, I quickly spun around, ready to go into a defensive stance. I relaxed almost immediately, as I realized it was the goddess I painted. "Aja, I did not expect to see or hear from you again."

"While your student days with me are over, I keep tabs on my former students. Tell me, what made you choose me as your subject?"

"This is my craft room. Here, I plan to take the amber you gave me, and make a necklace where it has the primary position. Over there, I will sit and make it. From there, I can look at the painting, and meditate on making it into something worthy of you. I have already selected some fabric that is nearly invisible to form the necklace, and I have a plan to make five clips for it. One will hold the amber, two will hold petrified wood that is polished to bring out its structure, and two will hold pretty snail shells from the forest. I will wear it with the wood or the shells on either side of the amber. More would make it too crowded. I will also have several fabric pieces, so I can wear it as a necklace, a choker, a bracelet, or even a belt. As a belt I would use all five, and perhaps add more, but I haven't thought that far ahead yet."

"Jewelry that can transform, and the other objects displayed being part of the forest. Indeed, that does sound worthy. When you have made it, what will you do with this painting?"

"I expect I will leave it until I need the table for something else. Then I will likely collect the sand and spread it out in the garden."

She looked thoughtful, then turned to the painting and held her hands over it and spoke. I did not understand the language, but it felt African, and old. As she spoke, the sand began to glow softly at first, and got brighter the longer she spoke. With a final shouted line, and a hand clap, the glow flared, and then vanished.

"Collect it as you said, but instead, keep it to use as fertilizer. A single pinch in my name will affect a large area, and the plants for a time will have lush growth. There are many places where forests have failed, or are failing. This sand will bring my power to the land and encourage the forest to regain strength. When you travel, bring some of this sand with you, and find a nearby forest in need."

"I shall, my lady."

She looked at me and gained a thoughtful look on her face. "I have the feeling I will be seeing you again." She then faded, leaving behind the clean smell of a forest after a heavy rain.

I chose to meditate on what she meant, and with my clarity, I understood. She knew I would pursue the magical language she used. But I don't think she realized I recorded her spell. I would have to be very careful with that part of the recording, in case any of the magic was placed into the recording.

Eventually, my meditation was interrupted by my stomach. It gave a significant growl, so I headed to the kitchen, and I found Cindy working on dinner. I mentioned I had not yet had breakfast, so I would get one of the frozen meals. She told me no, and instead pointed to the lower oven, and told me my lunch was in there. Her dinner was designed to complement lunch. I meekly obeyed her, and got my lunch. Afterwards, as I placed my dishes at the sink, I thanked her for the excellent meal. She accepted, then shooed me away, saying I would get in the way of dinner, so I left.

For the afternoon, I went to my underground library and read each of the passages Inanna pointed out. As I finished each, I did a short meditation to understand the passage by itself before going to the next one. I finished shortly before dinner.

Cindy was right. The dinner did complement lunch, and I told her she was a master at her craft. She blushed, but clearly appreciated my remarks. Filipe also commented, noting how he noticed elements of his heritage in her choice of spices. Soon she and Filipe were discussing their use, and traditions. As this happened from time to time, I quietly left the room, and went to the basement gym. There, I began my daily exercise, and as I got into the swing of things, I meditated some more on what I had read that day.

Over the next few days, I figured out how the passages related to magic, and I began to incorporate them into my efforts. It took another two weeks before I was satisfied with the upgraded spells. I also updated my own journal, telling how I created the spells, and how I modified them to be more effective.

Once I was satisfied with these spells, I began fabricating a necklace for Aja's replacement talisman. I began with the transparent fabric I had ordered. I had to operate by feel, as I could barely see it. The first thing I did was to attach a stainless steel end piece on one side, and a stainless steel-clad, strong magnet on the other. Sizing it was tricky, but I managed it so that it had a small amount of slack when I placed it upon my neck. Next, I selected the shells and petrified wood pieces I would use. I used eighteen-karat gold to fabricate brackets that held the various pieces. To these brackets, I added loops to thread the fabric through. I also added spring-loaded clips to hold it in place, rather than slide on the fabric. These features all hid behind the piece, so you only saw the outline of gold holding the piece.

Over the next three weeks, I made three outfits designed to go with the collar. I also made some other jewelry to wear with it. As I made these, my agent was working on rumors of another sequel. I was thinking about a fourth outfit when he followed a lead and got me a meeting. This movie was about the witch, Elvira, inheriting a mansion in an old town. In addition to the place, she also inherits the business that operates from it. Over the next month, we did the usual dance, and I got the lead. The month after, I traveled to a small California town with some old buildings, including a large mansion.

The film crew took over the top floor of the only hotel in town, and the rest in trailer city just outside of town. The producer, director, and the cast leads all stayed at the hotel. In the morning, I reported to the makeup trailer, and asked, "Have you been in many small towns?"

"Too many. At least this one has some buildings with some historic interest."

"Oh? I don't recall any artistic buildings."

"I said historic, not artistic. For example, check out the school building next to us. It was built during the Cold War. Real solid, and I even saw a sign saying bomb shelter. You don't see that often these days."

"You're right. I was thinking of an earlier time, of the robber barons, where there was a lot of decoration on the buildings."

"Oh, this school has some. It has great big urns on either side of the main entrance, and some wordage embossed across the top of the building."

"I'll have to check it out."

"Have you seen the mansion, yet?"

"No. Is it Cold War era, as well?"

"Nope. It is much earlier, pre-prohibition era. Quite elaborate, and has all that artistic decoration. I got here the day before yesterday to help set up the trailers. Yesterday afternoon, I got a chance to see the inside. They did it up good, real classy."

"How classy can you make a house of ill repute?"

"Just you wait. You'll be in for a surprise."

"I shall look forward to it."

After makeup, I went to wardrobe. For me, it was simple - take my clothes off, then activate the nanotech outfit, and select an outfit. It took only five minutes. The Red Horizons tech was a junior engineer, and told me this unit had half again as much mass, to handle the critters. The script read-through let me know I would do far more than a cat on my lap. I could even generate a fox and have it walk about a bit. It could only go on a flat surface, and would run into things if you didn't keep an eye on where it was heading. It even could do several vocalizations, as could the cat form. I was going to have fun with it. My initial test before we left, showed I could tap into the remote's tiny AI.

From wardrobe, I got onto the production bus. There, I waited for several others, before we were taken to the mansion. Today's schedule had me glad-handing the regulars, even as I spoke with the help, to learn all about the business I had inherited. One of the gimmicks I would be using would be altering my outfit as I went from room to room, to match the theme of the room. I was only on camera for two hours, as there were lots of other shots showing what others were doing.

We finished just shy of dinner, and back at wardrobe, I was the first out. I stopped by the food trucks to get a snack, and then went to one of the town's few restaurants. I told the hostess I would welcome visitors to join me in a meal. I had to use a light whammie to encourage a couple that was hesitant to disturb me.

"Welcome. Call me Helen, Helen Asher. I am an actress in the movie being made here. Tell me about yourself."

"Hi. I'm, um, Todd, and this is my wife, Sarah. We are fans of your movie, and would love to get an autograph."

"I'll be happy to give you one, but you have to earn it by sharing a meal with me."

"Uh, we can't stay. We left our son in the car."

"Then go get him. I am sure he has questions about the movie-making process. I'll be glad to wait."

With no recourse left, Todd went to get his son, while Sarah and I chatted a little bit. She did manage to ask if I really liked having sex with women. Before I could answer, her son came in and ran up to her.

"Mom, are we really eating with a star."

"Yes, Jack, now be quiet and sit. We need to order."

"Hello, Jack. I'm Helen. Do you know who I am?"

"I don't think so. Have you been in any kid movies?"

"Not many. Have you seen any of the recent Mortal Kombat movies?"

"... No." While he claimed not to have seen any, I saw the quick look he took at his folks, so I knew he was lying.

"Well, I play Obsidian in those movies." His eyes got really big.

"You play the Shokan spell sword? Wow! She's cool." Jack clearly missed the look between his parents.

"Yes, but the trailers don't do the part justice. When you're old enough, be sure and see them all, and you'll get to see more than some clips." While I was fairly sure he hadn't seen the latest one, I was also sure he had seen one of the earlier PG ones. I could tell his folks thought the same, but I gave him an out. However, he didn't realize it, and was also very curious how I was able to make four arms work. He even described a scene that wasn't in the trailers.

"Well, it took a lot of practice. Tell me, have you ever seen anyone juggle? You have? Well, keeping a bunch of things in the air takes a lot of practice, and you have to control your movement very carefully, or it all falls down. Working four arms is like that. My two arms were easy, but getting the circuits controlling the second pair to work, took a lot of practice. But with that practice, I made it look like they were real."

When the food came, Jack lost interest. At that point, Todd and Sarah started asking questions. Since I had been engaging their son, they felt comfortable enough to ask me questions. When their son finished, it got awkward, so I suggested they get a doggie bag, and they could go about their business. When they left, I continued to eat, and even ordered two desserts. I noticed a guy checking me out, and with a prominent erection. I paid at the table, and when I left, I passed him, quietly saying, "Follow," as I passed.