Nigkala Tales Pt. 36: Somebody's Watching

Story Info
The Return of Kate Demon Hand.
8.5k words
4.9
1.1k
2

Part 36 of the 39 part series

Updated 06/15/2023
Created 01/30/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The Return of Kate Demon Hand

Thanks to my editor kenjisato. Also, to LanguageTool. Combined, they put me right. Any problems left all belong to me.

= = = = = = = = = =

I had fun with Isis's cult. We both enjoyed my entrance as Nigkala, Egyptian Priestess of Isis. My kalasiri was made of nearly transparent linen, my jewelry was real pearl, silver, and gold, and my wig was midnight black in cornrows that went to my waist. I had heavy kohl eyeliner, kyphi perfume, and I had prepared as I would when I served in the temple. I sensed they noticed the perfume first, but when they saw me enter, they were quite astonished.

Isis, as Celeste, distracted them prior to my entrance. She said, in English, "Isis has provided a teacher, and she will teach you about the goddess."

I spoke in Noble Egyptian, and used a technique Isis taught me to convey my meaning by lightly touching nearby minds. "Hello, ladies. I am a priestess of Isis, and I am here to teach you some of her ways."

In English, I added, "I wanted you to see the roots of her worship. This style of outfit was worn back in the day. Bare breasts were normal, as was the naked poor. Clothes marked wealth, not promiscuity. Also, the climate was hot, and clothing captured heat, so you wanted to keep cool. This outfit is well suited to a hot climate, and some of the cosmetics I am wearing, also are designed to help. It contains sunblock and insect-repellent. I wear a wig, as many shaved their head, especially the priestesses. This was done to deal with lice. A wig can be washed with harsh stuff you don't want on skin or around your eyes.

"While I can go on, at length, about the people then, I am here to teach you about who she is. She is a sister, wife, and mother. Events have transpired to cause her faith to resurrect itself. She is a goddess of kingship, a protector of the kingdom, of magic and wisdom, and of the sky. She also gave healing as part of being a mother, and is a protector of the dead. She even has power over fate."

At this point, Celeste handed me a wrap I had made to cover myself for the crowd. After I put it on, I asked, "Ask me of any aspect of her, and I will tell you about that. There is a lot to know." I then headed over to a nearby chair, so I wouldn't have to stand the whole time.

Celeste said, "Yes, ladies, Becky Sue here is her priestess. Some of you recognize her from the movies. She is also an actress. As such, she doesn't want her religious aspect known publicly, but is willing to share with you what she knows."

We had a back and forth for nearly half an hour, before Celeste called the discussion over. "Ladies, enough for now. Becky Sue has agreed to share with us for a number of meetings. Her schedule is not consistent, but when she can come, she will teach you more of Isis."

While there was some disappointment, they accepted it, and went on to other business. I mostly observed, and when the meeting finished, several came to me to ask about my outfit and my makeup. I told them to contact me through Celeste, as I didn't want my personal contact info to go public, nor did I want it known that I was a priestess. When asked why, I said, "I am not ashamed, but rather, that knowledge would cause havoc to my acting career."

I rode back with Isis, considering the questions raised at the meeting. I followed her into her home, and we talked about the meeting, and her plans for the next meeting. We talked about showing magic, and decided I should show some healing magic, should the opportunity arise.

Before leaving, I asked about detection spells. I was still trying to figure out why I felt I was being watched, but wanted to figure it out myself. She agreed to teach me some of those magics. She chose to teach me, by explaining the spell, showing it, and then having me try it. She would critique any mistakes I made, even though they were small. I appreciated it, as I wanted to get it exactly like she wanted before experimenting with it. It was the third spell that gave me the first new information I received. There was a spiritual aspect to the watching, and also that it was not from this world. That changed my assumptions on who or what was watching.

Over the next several meetings, I inquired about the more modern usage of the Celtic Ogham alphabet. I used my mental abilities to learn more than they said, so I could get their point of view. I also inquired about the magic they practiced, and in return I told them of the old ways, and what that magic did. I didn't describe how, yet, as the time was not ripe. That changed on the sixth meeting, where one of the ladies had a cut on her arm presumably from trimming the hedges.

In thought, to Isis, I said, "Isis, I see Mabel has a noticeable scratch on her arm. This could be a suitable time to show your healing magic. Shall I?"

"Yes, but after your lesson. Speaking of which, why not talk about healing. Then it could be the capstone of the lesson."

"I shall tell them of your healing, then show them."

When it came time for my lesson, I told them of the healing of Isis, and nearing the end of my half hour, I called Mabel forward.

"You want me?"

"Yes, Mabel. Today is your lucky day. I noticed your arm, and Isis has chosen to show her healing, so you and the others can believe."

"Oh, that. I got it when I tripped through the hedges yesterday. Um, it's nothing much really."

"I know it would heal quickly, anyway, but her magic can heal it now. Would you like it healed?"

She hesitated a moment, then said, "Yes, ma'am."

While I didn't have a flask of water, or bowl, or washcloth, when I arrived, I had used magic to create these within my purse once I knew I would be doing a healing. Pulling them out, I set them on a table, and asked her to stand with me.

"While the washing with water is not required, per se, it is good to set your spirit in a good place, since she is associated with the Nile. While I have some Nile water, I didn't bring any. I use this for general washing, normally, but with her blessing, it will mean more."

With that, I invoked a simple Egyptian blessing from Isis over the water, and then gently washed her wound. "Now for the healing." I then recited, in Egyptian, a prayer of healing, using the psychic ability to transmit meaning directly, while also invoking her power through the prayer. When that was done, I washed the wound again, and the scab came away, leaving unblemished skin behind.

"Oh my god."

"Goddess." I said, smiling.

"Yeah, that's what I meant."

"Show the others, while I explain how to use her healing power."

She proceeded to show the others, and I explained the process.

On the way home, Isis said, "Well done. A simple thing, that scratch, but it has strengthened their faith. And the idea with the water was inspired. When I blessed it, I gave it a little extra. She has a child with a cold, and intends to try this on him. She will succeed, as long as she gives it a good effort."

"Speaking of good efforts, I have started my study with the Celtic Ogham alphabet. It appears to have a weakening effect on its spell, but it also makes the other spell a little more effective. Kind of like a team player that expends their energy to make the team better at the expense of their own performance. This is also the viewpoint associated with its use here."

"So, will that be useful?"

"I think so. Once I complete my study of the sample spells, and Alec analyzes it, I want to try it out on spell sets. To see if it can help make the set work together better."

"Remember when we spoke about different kinds of magic?"

"Yes. We spoke of divine, psychic, and assorted arcane varieties."

"Well, I too have been looking into it, and I think you are right. It can be dependent on your viewpoint, and even us gods have our viewpoint. I have spoken with Inanna about it, and we are both following your experiments."

I had some thoughts about how the gods are supposed to know everything, but didn't say anything.

"I know what you're thinking. As goddesses of magic, why don't we know this already?"

I nodded.

"If I felt an urgent need, I could focus, and learn a lot about it, but when you are an immortal, you tend to take a lot of time to do things, when you can. While others have started similar research, they didn't have your access to computers for analysis, or people dedicated to accuracy like Alec. He has added his own perceptions of your experiments, and they have added a little to the accuracy of the analysis. Your own tenacity and perfectionist drive also plays a part, as you are providing Alec with far more data than others who have tried. All that makes for an ability to research we have never seen before. So I have decided to watch and aid you, rather than do it myself, as I get more pleasure from seeing your success, and I don't feel any need to do it myself."

"He he. Make others work for you."

She briefly grinned as she said, "That, too."

"Then enjoy the show."

"We do. But seriously, your work is important, and we both are truly interested in it."

We spoke some more about her cult, the plans she had for them, and my part in them. Then I returned home.

Part of my research was at the comic book, science fiction, and fantasy conventions. I would dress as a character themed to the convention, but I would also wear my Valkyrie outfit, with the sword in disguise. My name-tag proclaimed I was the Valkyrie Ricci Olafdottir. While I knew of LARP, I finally decided to partake, and see what kind of mischief I could get into in my Valkyrie outfit. Turned out, quite a bit. It seemed a lot of the players desired a roll in the hay with a Valkyrie, and after a fight, I was often asked into a tent, or behind the bushes. While the weapons couldn't do major harm, they could bruise, and I hit back just as hard as they did. As I allowed them to get through my guard, by using about the same fighting capability, they got a good workout, and my armor could show how it could cushion the blows, and repair damage.

Early in the spring, Bret came to see me.

"Becky Sue, I am troubled."

"How so?"

"I think I have encountered a ghost or something supernatural haunting Death Valley."

"The environment easily kills, and could create such, most likely."

"I've already encountered three such, but this is different. Those wanted to interact with me, because I could see them easily. One to attack, and the others to seek release. You have taught me some rituals that helped me achieve their release. No, this haunting is different. It avoids me, but others have reported it."

"Others reported ghosts?"

"No. They reported bad feelings, or unexpected chills. The latter in Death Valley is what got my attention, initially. I think this one is aware of the change of personnel, as it seems to ignore tourists, but does pay attention to those who visit regularly, like the tour guides, scientists, and the rangers."

"Why do you think this is a problem?"

"I can't name it, but I have a feeling it is watching, waiting for something or someone. My wards don't seem very effective against it."

"You've warded the place?"

"Yes. Some, to keep the curious away from my magic stuff and your 'shack', but more recently, to keep the station and outposts safe."

"Come with me." We went to my training area in the backyard. "Show me the wards you set."

He did, and I saw some strong wards.

"Do you know how the wards were bypassed?"

"They were weakened, as though something suppressed them for a bit."

"Have any been breached recently?"

"Yes, earlier today, or rather in the middle of the night."

"Then let us go and examine it. I have some detect spells you've never heard of, and I may learn something you didn't."

Stopping for a bite to eat first, we headed back to the valley. Bret and I got in his dune buggy, and we headed off to a ranger outpost where his ward was bypassed. Seeing no one was there, I used my detect spells.

"Whoa, some of those are complicated, I've never encountered one that complex."

I smiled, "I have a good teacher. And I have learned about your intruder. It is female in origin, and she is a soul, not a spirit. Yeah, I know they are almost one and the same, but not quite. The distinction could be important. This soul has magical ability, as you guessed, and is pushing your ward, not suppressing it. That is the cause of the weakening. Being stretched out of place is taking a toll."

"So what do I do?"

Just then I felt a presence nearby. "Wait. She is near." I held my finger to my lips, and he nodded. Clearing and focusing my mind, I prepared to deal with the soul.

She was canny, this soul. Her approach was slow and subtle. I sensed her casting her own detect spell, and my tattoo signaled unease. Not the threat of an enemy, but that of one untrusted and near. I prepared my own spells to capture and interrogate her.

I didn't want to spook her, so I let her approach. When I felt she was about to use a more potent spell on me, I fired off my spells. One was to capture her, another was to protect Bret and myself, and a third to analyze her further. My spells almost worked.

She also cast two spells. One to attack, which was of decent potency, and the other to flee. She clearly sensed my strength, and chose to test it, but also to be elsewhere before I could react. Well, my capture spell grabbed her, but wasn't up to the challenge of the escape spell she had also cast. But she was in range long enough, for me to get good results from my detect spell. My protection spell handled her attack of powerful acid, so I wasn't burned.

I prepared other spells, in case she returned. But she apparently left, as I no longer sensed her presence. "Bret, she was old, and once human. Somehow familiar, I am worried, for her purpose wasn't to attack, but to test. She is also bound to another, and both are evil."

"Could the attack, since it failed, be a test?"

"You might be right. You are also right to be worried about her. She is a danger, waiting to happen. I will get some weapons, and we shall hold vigil for her for a while."

"Go then. I will watch. I don't think she wants me."

I nodded, then ported to the gate, then went home. Using spells, I changed into the Valkyrie armor, and equipped myself with the sword and shield. Returning, I saw Bret casting another ward.

"Interesting ward. One not as easy to push aside."

"You were fast. Yeah, I felt this would be a good defensive spell to have in place."

"It is. Let us wait." I then provided sand chairs to sit in, and we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

It was midnight when I felt a portal open. "Bret, wake up. Something is happening." I also cast some defensive magic, and some concealing magic. I didn't want whoever was coming to know we were ready for them. I felt the soul's presence once more, but also a far-more-powerful presence. Greater than any but the gods I had encountered. "Bret, withdraw. You are far outclassed. I may also be, as the other presence is quite strong. I would have you survive and be a witness."

"Yes, master." He withdrew, adding his own concealment spells. I wondered at the 'master', but dismissed the stray thought, as there was no time.

I heard a deep voice, and in a language I didn't know, words that somehow translated to the following, "You reveal yourself at last. You took my servant from me, and now you shall replace her."

I felt savage glee from the soul, but realized it was limited in what it could do. But the power, it was evil, so I used a spell of exorcism.

"You will have to do better than that."

Casting a light spell, my enemy was almost revealed. There was a darkness where the soul was, but the other appeared to be corporeal. Footsteps trailed it, and I could see its body. My mind instantly shouted 'demon', and I needed some time to think, so I said, "Who are you, demon, that I should be concerned?"

"I am your doom." Then it shot a bolt of acid, but far greater in power and effect. My own protections were up to the task, but I cast another reinforcing spell to the protecting spell.

With acid bubbling on the ground, I summoned some alkali to neutralize it, and said, as drolly as I could, "This is supposed to impress me?" I was impressed, but determined not to show it.

It growled, and attacked again, this time with a black beam of some sort. My instinctive reaction was based on my experiments and research. I cast several spells that aided my blade, and I intercepted the beam and deflected it to the sand. Pointing my blade at it, I cast another set of spells, two of which were attack spells. I didn't expect them to be effective, and they weren't, but they were cover for other spells designed to reveal my opponent.

A demon.

A strong demon.

Far stronger than the ones I fought in the Duat. Those were minions, but this one had a name, I am certain. It was also my enemy, and intended on my destruction. It would allow me to live, but only as its possession like the soul hanging about nearby.

"I have fought other demons. Who and what are you?" I opened my thought senses to leakages, but I was wary of attack, so I was careful not to show it.

"I shall not give you my name. But I am a prince of demons. You have met Kate already. She eagerly awaits your destruction." Though it still spoke in its own tongue, I had realized by then it was using the same technique I did when sending meaning directly. But the name Kate was without translation. While I got almost nothing from it, it was the soul of Kate that leaked. She knew its name.

We both attacked, and continued to talk at each other, but I was working spells to subtly bind Kate's soul, and to read her mind and learn the name. But I needed to do this without alerting the demon.

One of the spells I cast was a general, magic concealment spell. It would make my magic more difficult to follow, and once it was in place, I increased the number of spells I cast at once. I also physically attacked with my sword. The demon responded in kind, both spell and blade. While it had no shield, its hide was quite tough. I barely scratched it. In return, my shield was taking a beating, and my armor took some as well.

I invoked Everest's hardness and endurance for the battle, to put me physically on a closer footing to the demon. I added Isis's telekinetic shielding to provide even more protection from being hit by spell or blade. One of the spells I cast was defensive in some way, so I was able to remain untouched. But I could feel the pounding, and knew that I might be showing bruises soon. The second, and perhaps third, spell, were for attack. I tried the elements, psychic, magic, and other forms. I was damaging it, but its body was healing almost as fast as I was damaging it. I could also tell it was getting impatient, and would soon bring out bigger guns. But the last spell I cast was to ensnare the dark soul. For that, I used my virtual arms, as she was located to the side.

With the close-quarters fighting, and all that magic being cast by us both, I hoped the last of those spells went unnoticed. Apparently it was, for I succeeded in binding Kate's soul in place, and sneaking into her thoughts. I found the name she knew - Trath'tikauth Megraxan Zalgrozal. I repeated it to myself so I would get it correct. Then I laid my trap.

Invoking Inanna's war power to aid my fight, I saw I needed to attack faster and harder to do significant damage. So, rather than cast more spells on Kate's soul, I cast my 'Tasmanian Devil' spell. I began to spin, faster and faster. The minor lightning of the spell was augmented by Death Valley, as it sent more sand and lightning into my spell. I absorbed some of that lightning to make my nerves faster, and spun even quicker. The demon was now feeling my cuts, as they went deeper. Still, I needed more.