Now or Never: Escape to Freedom Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"So you where the one who called her?" Austin questioned with a shocked look on his face.

"Yes I was. And if I had to I'd do it again I would. You made me promise not to say anything to Eric but you never made me promise not to say anything to anyone else. Like I said, once I saw how Eric was treating you and how he allowed other guys to come over and use you I just couldn't let that go. I knew that if I had said something to Eric he wouldn't have listen and it might have made things worse for you, so I knew the only person that could possibly have made a difference was Beth. I knew that he would never try and go up against her and I knew that she wouldn't leave until things changed."

"I can't thank you enough then. If it wasn't for you then I might still be tied in that basement." Austin said has he hugged Dominic.

"I'm just glad that you are okay and that you were smart enough to go back to Ryan." Dominic smiled. "I had often wondered what happened to you once Eric let you go."

"Thankfully Ryan took me back after what I put him and his family though." Austin replied.

"I can see that Ryan is a good guy. He's a keeper." Dominic smiled.

"That's what everyone keeps telling me." Austin said as he smiled at Ryan.

"Well, I'm going to head out. It was good seeing you again and it was nice meeting you Ryan. You guys have a safe trip back home." Dominic said as he stood up.

As the crowd of people started to dwindle, Austin figured it would be a good time to say his good bye and get ready to head back to Cindy's house. Mr. and Mrs. Mason thank both of them for coming and she gave Austin one final hug. Austin spotted Beth across the room and made his way over to her.

"Hey Beth, we are getting ready to head out." Austin said as he put a hand on her shoulder.

"Okay Hunny. Thank you again for coming. I'll walk you guys out to your car." She politely excused herself and walked with Ryan and Austin to the car.

"I wanted to give this to you in private." She handed him a manila envelope.

"What is this?" Austin questioned as he took the envelope from Beth.

When he opened it and read what was inside, his jaw fell open.

"Eric left you full beneficiary of his estate." Beth smiled. "The house, the cars, and the insurance money."

"But I don't understand. We had broken up." Austin said in a low shaky voice.

"Deep down inside he knew that he had messed up big time with you and I figure this was his way of trying to make amends. There's also a sealed envelope in there as well. I don't know what's in it but it has your name on it."

Austin dug down and pulled it out. He opened it and started to read it to himself.

Dear Austin,

Please don't blame yourself for what I have done even though I know deep down part of you is. You are a wonderful person and deserve to be treated with love and passion, not beaten and tortured like I had done to you. I hope that some place in your heart you will find the strength to forgive me for everything horrible that I have ever done to you. The guilt I have is more than I ever could have imagined. I turned a sweet and loving person into someone who is beaten and broken. I know in time you will be able to return to the person you once where. And I know as long as you have Ryan by your side he will be able to help you overcome anything that might come in your way. He is a good guy Austin. Do NOT let him go. Good guys like him only come around once in a lifetime and you need to snatch that up and never ever let go. I want you to know that I have been thinking about all the happy times that we used to have and I hope someday that when you think of me you can think of them, not the horrible times. I'm leaving everything to you, the house, my car, everything is going to you. After everything I have put you through it is the least I can do to try and make it up to you. I'm going to go now. I'm starting to feel every sleepy. I love you Austin James Montgomery. I always have, I just forgot along the way.

Love always,

Eric Branson Mason

Austin's eyes filled with tears as he finished reading the letter. For a moment he couldn't talk as he was overcome with emotion. Finally after a few deep breaths he handed the letter to Ryan who proceeded to read it.

"Wow." Was all Ryan could get out fearing that he would break down and cry himself.

"Do you want to read it?" Austin asked as he held it out for Beth.

"No darling, I'm good. He left me a letter as well, and if yours is anything like mine it was very emotional." She said with a smile. "You guys better get going. I'm sure you two are very tired."

Austin hugged her. "Thank you for everything."

"You're welcome. You take good care of yourself." She said as she hugged him back.

But Austin could tell it was a different kind of hug. "Why do I have the feeling this is the last time I will ever see you."

"Because it is. You have a new life now and you don't need a constant reminder of your past." She said with tears in her eyes.

"But you are like a sister to me."

"Austin, you have Ryan now and you need to be able to focus on the life you two are going to have." Beth smiled.

Austin looked like he was about to cry when Ryan spoke up. "Honestly, I think it would be nice if you two kept in contact."

"You don't think that could cause problems for you guys?" Beth questioned.

"Not at all. In all honesty I think it would be good for the two of you. Besides I would love to have you come down and visit us." Ryan smiled.

"Are you sure? I really don't want to cause any problems."

"Trust me you won't." Ryan offered with his classic southern smile.

"Beth, you don't want to argue with him. Trust me you won't win and if you think he is bad just wait until you meet his mom." Austin smiled at Ryan.

"Are you saying that I'm stubborn?" Ryan asked with a grin.

"No, just very persistent." Austin smiled back at him.

"Well, if that's the case then I'd love to come down and visit you guys sometime." Beth said as she hugged them. "Okay, I'll let you guys get going. Here is my cell number you can call me anytime. Maybe before you guys head back south we can get together."

"I think that would be a wonderful idea." Ryan replied as he stored her number in his phone.

Ryan and Austin both gave her one more hug before they got in the car and headed on their way. Just as they were about to pass the cemetery, Austin asked if Ryan could pull in there. Ryan had a feeling that Austin wanted to have a private moment, so when he pulled up he stayed in the car while Austin walked over to the freshly cover grave. Ryan sat in the car a watched to make sure that Austin was going to be okay.

Austin stood at the side of the grave looking at all the flowers that had been laid on top of it. He wanted to say something but didn't know exactly what to say. Then he felt a hand rest on his shoulder causing him to jump.

"Sorry Austin I didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?" Ryan asked.

"I want to say something but I don't know what to say or how to say it."

"I think the best thing to say is whatever is on your mind."

"Stay here with me, please." Austin asked as he turned and looked at Ryan.

"Of course I will." Ryan said as he stood next to Austin and held his hand.

Austin took a calming breath and began. "Eric, I don't really know what to say. I have so many emotions right now. I'm infuriated at the fact that you took your life over the way you had treated me. Yes you did wrong but fuck Eric it wasn't worth this! You selfish son of a bitch! Now everyone has to deal with this while you rot in the fucking ground! Instead of being a man and facing life you took the coward's way out. You've left everyone broken hearted, even me. I never once hated you, even when you would beat the shit out of me. I loved you with all my heart and soul and would have done anything for you. I guess in a way this is partly my fault. I know you said not to blame myself but maybe if I had fought a little harder you might not have treated me the way you did. Maybe if I had said something sooner or maybe if I hadn't of made excuses for why you treated me the way you did, it wouldn't have come to this." Austin started to tear up. "I loved you Eric. You had saved me once and I wish that I could have saved you. You were not a horrible person. You just needed help with some things. If you are looking down right now I want you to know that I do not hate you. I just hate what you did. I pray that you have found peace in the afterlife. I'm going to go now. I'm exhaust from today. It's been a very emotional day. Just remember that I will always love and care about you. Good-bye Eric and rest in peace."

They stood there for a few silent moments before Austin spoke up. "I'm ready to go and get out of these clothes."

"Me too. It has been one emotional day." Ryan said as he put his arm around Austin and headed towards the car.

It was around eight when they pulled in the driveway and the night air had grown considerably colder. Ryan shivered a little as he stepped out of the car. His southern blood was not used to the cold of the north. As they walked inside the house was relatively quiet, except for Cindy who was sitting in her lounge chair watching Twilight. When she saw them walk in she paused her movie, walked over to them, and gave them both a big hug. She held Austin just a little longer knowing that he was worn out, she could see the look on his face.

"Why don't you guys go and change while I make some coffee." Cindy offered.

After they had gotten changed they made their way back to the kitchen where there was a fresh pot of coffee and some leftover pork chops, mashed potatoes and green beans.

"I know you guys have had a horrible day, and I'm sure there was tons of food but I have a feeling neither one of you were in the mood to eat. Besides I know Austin needs to eat with his pills." Cindy offered as she poured three cups of coffee.

She was right, there was tons of food at the funeral but neither one of them really ate anything. surprisingly Austin was more hungry than he thought. He ate one of the larger pork chops with huge helpings of mashed potatoes and green beans. After they ate, Austin and Ryan join Cindy in the living room.

Austin sat on the couch next to Ryan and looked up at the ceiling. His heart was heavy with emotion as he thought back on the day's events. There was a small part of him that felt relieved knowing that he was finally and completely free. He was no longer going to have to worry that someday Eric was going to show up and try and force him to come back, or worry that he was going to be abused. A warm calming feeling started to flow throughout his body. He didn't know if it was the pills kicking in or that realization, but either way he was starting to enjoy it. Austin was so deep in thought that he didn't even hear Cindy talking to him. It wasn't until Ryan gave him a nudge did he come back to earth.

"I'm sorry, what?" Austin said as he looked at Ryan.

"Hun, aunt Cindy asked you a question." Ryan replied.

"I'm sorry. I was just thinking."

"It's okay Hun. I know today has been a busy day for you and I'm sure you have a lot on your mind."

"If you only knew. I have so much to think about and things to take care of. I honestly don't even know where to even begin." Austin replied as he sat up.

"What kind of things?" Cindy asked as she took a sip from her coffee mug.

"Well, the house. Eric left it, and everything else, to me. I don't even know what to do with it."

"He left you everything?" Cindy questioned with a puzzled look on her face.

"Yup, everything single thing. He wrote me a letter and in it he said that was his way to try and make up for what he had done to me. The house is paid for so it's not like I have to keep up with a mortgage."

"Are you thinking of living there?" Cindy asked taking notice of the look on Ryan's face.

"Never. I could never live in that house. There are too many horrible memories in that house. Besides, I really like the south." He said as he smiled at Ryan. "I could always sell it or rent it out. I have some time so it's no real rush."

"That is actually a really smart idea to rent it out. It could be a nice income." Cindy offered.

"I'm not going to have to worry about money for awhile. The amount from Eric's life insurance is quite a bit. The last I knew he had a million dollar policy, but I don't know if he had ever changed that."

"That would really help you out if he didn't change the amount." Cindy said.

"Yeah it would. I have a few ideas on what I'd use the money for." Austin smiled.

"When are you guys planning on heading back to Levy?" Cindy questioned.

"I honestly don't know. I want to figure out what I'm doing with the house before we leave. I might just close it up for now then at a later date do something with it. I'm just so drained right now I can't really decided."

"If you want my opinion, just close it up for now. You know that we live nearby and can check in on it from time to time." Cindy offered.

"That would be a big help." Austin smiled.

"It's getting late and you guys had a stressful day. Go get some much needed rest and in the morning I'll have a nice breakfast waiting for you."

Neither Austin or Ryan argued with that. By the time they had reached the bedroom, Austin's pills had kicked in and he was extremely groggy. Ryan took great care in helping Austin get ready for bed as his arm was still in the sling. As Ryan was getting into bed he noticed that Austin had tears in his eyes.

"Austin what's wrong?"

Austin sniffled. "I can't thank you enough for everything that you have done for me. Today was hard for me but I know it had to kill you to go to Eric's funeral. You took me back after I left you, you've helped me out, dealt with all of my stupid problems. I'm so sorry. I don't deserve a great guy like you."

"Stop right there. From this point on I don't want you to apologize for what happened in the past. I'm not mad at you, I don't even hold it against you. All I know is that I'm happy you are back in my life and I'll do everything in my power to make sure you are happy and safe. I'd give my last breath to make sure you are safe." Ryan said as he kissed Austin. "You are my world and I know that all I want is to have you by my side till the very end."

"I'm just scared that you are going to get tired of my short comings and want a normal boyfriend."

Ryan giggled a little. "Austin, I hate to tell you but no one is normal. We all have our short comings, my mom is always trying to help people out, my dad is a perfectionist, and I am overly protective of the things I love."

"Those sound more like good traits than short comings." Austin replied.

"Until you dig a little deeper and see that they have their faults. The point I'm trying to make is that no one is perfect we all have faults. I'm not going to stop loving you or breakup with you because of your short comings. That's a promise I will keep."

"I can only promise that I will try my best."

"Austin, that is all I ask for." Ryan said as he pulled Austin closer to him.

That night Austin had a dream, but it wasn't like any dream he had ever had before. He dreamt that he was standing in the middle of a field of wildflowers as far as the eye could see. A warm spring breeze was making the flowers dance and he was memorized by them. Then he heard an all to familiar voice come from behind him.

"Hello Austin."

Austin slowly turned around to see Eric standing there, but he looked different somehow. He looked gentle, caring, and had a soft glowing light around him. Austin started to get nervous but Eric reached out his hand and gently touched Austin. His touch was cool and calming.

"Don't be scared Austin. I'm not here to hurt you." Eric smiled. It was the caring and loving smile that Austin had once loved.

"What is going on?" Austin questioned.

"Don't you recognize this place?"

"No I really don't."

"This was the field that was behind your parents house. Don't you remember each spring the field would bloom with wildflowers that the farmer had planted as a cover crop in the fall. It was your most favorite place to go. You would come out here for hours and hang out just staring out into the field or up at the clouds, it was also the place that I asked you to be my boyfriend." Eric spoke softly.

"Oh my god, it is the field. But why can I only see the field? I don't see the house or anything else?"

"Because the field was your happy place, everyone has one special happy place."

"Why am I here?" Austin questioned.

"I wanted to bring you here one last time, together. To the place that we fell in love, the place that we first made love in. I want you to think of this place whenever you think of me. I know I don't deserve this but I don't want you to only think bad things when you think of me."

"Why did you kill yourself?" When Austin asked that the world started to change. The wind grew cold and harsh, the sky grew gray and the flowers started to wilt.

"Because, I could never forgive myself for what I did to you. When I was packing up your car the last time, I ran across a box filled with old pictures and letters we had wrote to each other back in high school. It was up in the attic stuck behind some old Christmas decorations. I guess while moving in it got shoved back there and forgotten about. I started going through it and reread all of the letters and they brought back the old feelings I had for you, but it was too late. I had already caused you so much damage, some of it permanent."

As Eric talked the sky continued to grow darker and the wind was picking up. There was a low rumble of thunder on the horizon. The ground was now completely barren, it was dried up and scattered with cracks. "I knew that you would always live your life in fear of me. I had already put you through enough and I didn't want you to endure anymore. If I had stayed around it could have severely altered the future. This was my destiny, and yours is with Ryan."

Then Austin remembered about Ryan and a warming sensation started to flow over him. The sky began to clear and the wildflowers began to sprout back out of the ground. Soon the world had turn back to normal.

"Ryan was brought into your life for a reason and that was to show you that there are still good and caring guys out there. He's going to awaken feelings in you that you had long forgotten about." Eric smiled and the sun seemed to brighten.

"How do you know that?"

"Things are different on this side. I can see things that humans can't see."

"The future?"

"Glimpses of the future. I can't see everything but I can see major events in the future."

"Then you might know how my life is going to turn out?" Austin asked.

"I can see that you're life is going to better than you could ever have dreamed, but I will not tell you anymore."

"Why not? It would be nice to know how things will turn out."

"It doesn't work that way. If you were to know how things are going to turn out then you'd be waiting for them and possibly change the course of time. If you had known that you and your parents would have gotten into that fateful accident then you would have tried to stay home. If that would have happened then it would have completely altered the course of time, and not always for the best. Your future could have been a lot worse."

"I guess, I can understand that. It is reassuring to know that at least my future is going to be better. What happens to you now?" Austin asked with a saddened look on his face.

"Me? Don't worry about me Austin. I've been given this second chance to make amends and now I can finally rest in peace. I'm happy knowing that I have been given the opportunity to watch over you." The world slowly started to take on a shade of grey.