Nuclear Options

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers

She stopped short then said, "Sorry. That's probably not something you want to hear."

He was ready to tell her he very much wanted to hear when she asked if she could take his plate.

"Oh, sure. Thank you. And that was delicious."

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll have to remember grilled cheese and tomato soup from now on. That was really good. And I'm very happy you decided to stay and have lunch with us."

"Me, too!" Mia said as she slurped another noodle out of her spoon after putting it there with her fingers. She'd also set every piece of chicken she could find in her bowl on the plate underneath it.

"I thought you liked chicken," Dalton said as he looked at the small pile of soggy poultry.

"It has to be a drumstick," Rachel told him. "Nothing else will do."

For some reason, Dalton suddenly realized he hadn't heard Mia wheeze or cough.

"So...did the inhaler do the trick?" he asked, hoping that wasn't too personal.

"Oh. Yes. Very much so," Rachel said as she rinsed the dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. "And yet again—thank you SO much for doing that. And for turning the lights back on. And for fixing the circuit box thingy. And for staying and..."

"You're very welcome," Dalton told her just as she was turning around and looked at him.

He hesitated and thought twice but still said what he was thinking.

"I enjoy helping you."

"Do you like my mommy?" Mia asked out of the blue, surprising both of the adults, as she placed another noodle on her spoon.

"Mia. Honey," her mother said before Dalton could answer. "That's not something we ask a guest, okay?"

"Okay. Sorry," she said in a sad little voice. "Are you mad at me?"

"No. No, I'm not mad at all. It's just not the kind of thing we say, okay, Peanut?"

Mia didn't reply, and Dalton came very close to saying he did like her mother, but he didn't want to say anything that might undermine her parental authority or make Rachel feel uncomfortable, so he only smiled.

Rachel brought her hands together in front of her waist then said apologetically, "I'd offer you dessert, but unfortunately, I don't have anything sweet in the house right now."

"That's fine. I'm not much of a dessert eater anyway," he assured her.

"You're obviously very fit. Are you a vegan by any chance?" she asked, surprising him.

"Me? No. Not at all. I don't eat red meat very often, but I do love chicken..."

He paused, looked at Mia who wasn't paying attention, then continued.

"And fish. And I could eat shrimp seven days a week."

"So...do you like sushi?" Rachel asked with strange look on her face.

"I do. How about you?"

"It's just about my favorite thing. I don't eat it very often because that requires going out, and we really have to watch every penny around here, but yes, I love sushi."

When Dalton laughed, Rachel wondered what was so funny about that.

"Oh, nothing. I was just thinking of a sushi restaurant her in town called 'Kinki Sushi'."

The name was pronounced like the word 'kinky', and when Rachel got it, she laughed and said, "Oh, right! I've heard of that. Yeah, I've always wondered what 'kinky shrimp' looks like."

Dalton smiled at her then said, "Right. Or...what kinds of kinky things might they be into."

Rachel's eyes opened wide like his had earlier as though she was appalled at his comment. But unlike Dalton, she couldn't hold the look and started laughing.

Dalton took advantage and said, "Kind of makes you wonder if the shrimp come out wearing little shrimp-cuffs or tiny blindfolds or something, you know?"

Her eyes got wide again, but Rachel couldn't help laughing. She wasn't the least bit offended, and actually found his sense of humor charming in the same way she found him to be charming. She came very close to telling him that, but she knew he couldn't possibly be interested in a woman her age, so she kept her thoughts to herself.

"If only there really was a magic potion," she heard herself saying out loud just above a whisper.

When Dalton asked her to explain what she meant, Rachel felt foolish.

"I'm so sorry. I...I was just thinking about something, and I have no idea how that even came out."

"So you weren't wishing for a magic potion to maybe make me disappear?" he asked, one eyebrow raised high.

"What? No. Heavens, no. I've had a wonderful time talking with you, so that's not something I'd ever..."

Her voice trailed off as she said, "Wish for."

Realizing how that sounded, she smiled then told Dalton, "I'm sure we've taken up far too much of your Sunday anyway."

Dalton tilted his head then said, "You really are trying to get rid of me, aren't you?"

Rachel couldn't remember the last time she had feelings for a man. Of any age. She'd gone on several dates, but never felt anything, so having them someone who had to be at least ten and maybe even fifteen years younger than her made no sense. It was embarrassing and confusing, and yet...she had them.

"I...I'm really not, Dalton," she said rather quietly. "I'm just trying to make sure you don't feel...trapped."

"Trapped?"

"Yes. Like I'm trying to keep you when you have to be chomping at the bit to find an excuse to get away from here."

"You couldn't possibly be more wrong," Dalton told her just as quietly as he looked right at her.

Rachel's heart fluttered, and she couldn't hold his stare so she looked over at her daughter and said, "You about done over there, Peanut?"

"Yes. The noodles are too slippery," Mia told her mom.

"Well, it looks like you 'caught' most of them. Are you full?"

"Uh-huh," the six-year old replied. "May I be excused now?"

"Yes. Of course. But go wash your hands, okay?"

Mia slid out of her chair then went bounding off to her room to play.

"She's great," Dalton said as the little girl hopped and skipped without coughing or wheezing.

"I think so," Rachel replied, still unable to look at him. "Unfortunately, her father didn't seem to think so."

She no sooner said that than she shook her head and apologized again.

"Listen to me talking about things I have no business saying. I can't believe I even said that. Please forgive me."

"If it's true, then there's nothing to forgive, right?" he gently replied.

She wanted to tell him it was very true, but didn't answer.

"You're pretty great, too, Rachel," he told her, causing her tummy to do a flip or maybe a flop.

As with the 'magic potion' comment, Rachel couldn't believe she was saying what she was saying.

"You should know I'm a 36-year old divorced woman with a six-year old child, Dalton."

Panicked, she wasn't sure what else to say and just started apologizing—again.

"I have no idea why I said that. You were just being nice, and I...I can't believe I told you that as though you'd just asked me out or something. You must think I've got a screw or two loose. Anyway, all I can do is..."

"Go out with me?" Dalton suggested with a smile, cutting her off.

Rachel stopped talking then blinked hard and slightly shook her head at the same time.

"Excuse me?" she said in total disbelief.

It wasn't meant to sound accusatory, but that's how it came out as in, "I cannot believe you just said that, and I'm deeply offended that you did!" And that's how Dalton took it.

"Okay. But I had to ask," Dalton told her rather sheepishly. "I've been wanting to ask you out since we talked on Friday, but I was pretty sure you'd, you know, react like that."

"Wait. What?" Rachel asked with another, slightly different shake of her head.

"I was sure you'd put me in my place if I did ask you out, and when I finally did...you did. So, I um...I think now might be a really good time for me to head out."

"Wait. I'm...I'm confused," she told him. And she genuinely was.

"Wait. How are you confused?" Dalton asked as he did the little head shake thing himself.

"You...you didn't really just ask me out, did you?" Rachel asked him, her eyes only slightly less wide open as before.

"I kinda did," Dalton told her. "Did you think I was kidding or something?"

"Well...yes. I mean, why...why would you want to, you know, go out with...me?"

"So you didn't shoot just me down?" he asked, a smile on his face as it became clear to him what was going on.

Still confused, Rachel told him, "No. I wouldn't have done that, but I also couldn't have done that because I didn't realize you were serious."

He was still sitting at the kitchen table as he leaned her way.

"Well, I was serious. I just assumed your 'excuse me?' was a shortcut for an 'are you out of your mind' kind of reply."

"No. Not...not at all. I...I just really, honestly wasn't aware you were seriously asking. That's all."

"Well, I was. I would very much like to go out with you, Rachel."

To his total surprise, Rachel said, "Then...I accept. I'd very much like to go out with you, too," as a flood of confusing emotions washed over her.

"Yeah?" Dalton replied with a smile.

"Yes. Definitely," Rachel told him as she once again looked away.

Not sure why, Dalton waited to see if she might have something more to say. After a few seconds of silence, she looked at him, then said very seriously, "You've been nicer to me in the short time we've known each other than anyone other man ever has. Well, except maybe my father, but..."

"You're easy to be nice to," Dalton assured her. "And did I mention beautiful?"

Rachel got hit on all the time, so getting compliments was nothing new. But over the years she'd become very jaded because time and time again the men who took an interest in her since her husband abandoned his family only wanted only one thing. The one or two that didn't lost interest when they found out she had a child. So Dalton was not only a breath of fresh air, he was unusual in the extreme, and if a magic potion really did exist, she'd have taken it right then and there.

"So...when?" Rachel asked him.

"I'm not sure. But after our previous discussion, I think the only logical 'where' is Kinki's."

Dalton laughed, but Rachel didn't.

She looked right at him then quietly said, "I'd like that."

The change in her voice and demeanor were something Dalton also liked very much. Rachel had always been pleasant, but now...something was different. She was...sweeter. And if 'sweeter' wasn't the right word, he didn't really care because it most definitely fit.

"As to the when part, how about tonight?" he suggested.

"What? Tonight...tonight?"

"Yes. Tonight. I know you only have Sundays off, and I don't want to wait another week to see you again. And both of us will be hungry again this evening, and I'd really like to spend more time with you, so...yes. Tonight. If that's okay."

Rachel bit her lower lip, something she often did when she was nervous or worried, then said, "Yes. That's fine. And...you're welcome to stay and talk. With me."

Now Dalton got quiet and serious as he replied.

"I'd like that. A lot."

"Then stay," she said in a very sweet voice.

Dalton wiped off the table and the countertop while Rachel ran the dishwasher.

"Would you maybe like a cup of coffee?" she asked once the kitchen was clean and tidy.

"Sure. That would be nice."

"All right. I'll make some for us, then we can go sit in the living room."

"And talk," Dalton said with a smile as she walked directly in front of him.

He wasn't consciously thinking about it, but he reached out and touched her arm as she walked by. Rachel didn't flinch or pull away, but she did stop. Her heart was pounding in her chest from that one simple, little touch, and in no small part in anticipation of what might come next.

Dalton reached for her hand which Rachel let him have. He gently pulled on it, and when he did, she turned toward him. When she did, he took her other hand then smiled at her.

"You're a pretty amazing woman, Rachel."

"Thank you. I guess I mostly feel like a single mom just struggling to get through each day."

Dalton smiled and Rachel said, "That sounded like complaining, didn't it?"

"It sounds like a beautiful woman just speaking the truth."

Suddenly feeling less confident, Rachel asked Dalton, "Why me?"

"Why not you?" he asked back.

"Because I told you who I am, remember?"

"Oh, right. A mom. A caring, loving mom. Yeah, I should probably hightail it out of here, huh?"

"Dalton! Be serious," she said, as he kind of ran his fingers over hers, her hands still in his.

"I am. I'm very serious. In fact, I haven't ever felt like this about anyone before. I hope that doesn't sound too weird or...heavy. It's just how I feel."

Rachel looked at him and assured him it didn't sound weird at all.

She moved a little closer then said to him, "But it might be too weird to say I'd...I'd very much like you to kiss me."

Dalton smiled then let go of her hands. He put his on her upper arms and told her, "That not only doesn't sound weird, it sounds pretty wonderful."

"Really?" she asked with a smile as he put his hands behind her arms then leaned in to kiss her.

"Uh-huh," he replied just before their lips met.

The kiss was soft and slow and lasted for maybe two seconds, but it was the most delicious kiss Rachel could ever remember. That was true for Dalton, too, but the word 'delicious' wasn't one he'd have used to describe it.

"Wow. That was so...hot," he said quietly as their lips parted.

Rachel's body was trembling, and she needed time to think as her brain felt like things were suddenly spinning out of control.

"Speaking of hot, the coffee should be ready."

Very slowly she moved away then said, "I'll just be a sec, okay?"

As they sat and talked, the conversation went to places neither of them had expected just a few minutes earlier. It was as if a dam had broken. As they talked, it was as if the two of them couldn't get enough of the each other. They didn't kiss or even hold hands, but they really, truly talked and connected on a level neither knew was possible.

"So you almost re-enlisted then," Rachel said as they discussed his decision to get out of the Navy.

"Almost. But I'm really glad I didn't," he told her in a way that let her know she was the reason why.

"So what do you think you might do after you finish with college?"

"I'm not sure yet. I've thought about maybe going back in as an officer. I could still even re-enlist and go back as a second-class petty officer. The bonus they offered me was pretty tempting."

Rachel had no clue how someone went about even re-enlisting let alone this bonus thing, and when Dalton told her how much he'd been offered she was extremely surprised.

"It really was tempting, but in the long run I think I could make a lot more in another career," he explained.

"You need to happy, Dalton. The money is a secondary issue. I mean, I would think enjoying one's work, even if it paid less, would be better than making a lot of money if you hated going to work everyday."

"I couldn't agree with you more," he told her. "But as I mentioned, I really liked the Navy. And while I'd never be rich, a guy can do pretty well considering you have medical, dental, optical, and a pension for life after 20 years."

"I agree," Rachel said immediately. "We...I...don't have health insurance. Mia's asthma medicine and doctor visits take up quite a bit of our money, so I definitely appreciate the value of having health insurance."

Dalton knew she was about to apologize again for 'complaining' so he stopped her.

"I know you're not complaining, Rachel. It's just a fact of life. And it's obvious you love your daughter very much, and I feel really bad for you."

"Don't," she said very sweetly. "There's nothing in this world I love more than my daughter, and while we do struggle, there's nothing I wouldn't do for her."

"I can tell," Dalton said as he reached over and touched her shoulder.

"If it isn't too personal, I was wondering why someone as attractive as you doesn't have a girlfriend," Rachel said, trying to tread lightly.

"There are several reasons. We've kind of touched on them earlier. The biggest one is I just wasn't ready for any kind of serious relationship before."

"Well, you are 22," she told him, again trying not to sound patronizing or be negative.

"True, but as I also said, the main reason I got out was to be able to try and find someone I could have a longterm relationship with."

"You uh, you won't have any trouble. Trust me on that, okay?" Rachel told him.

It was obvious she was letting him know she was very aware that he'd only recently left the Navy and started his 'search'. She was happy to be the first woman he'd really liked, but she wasn't naive enough to think he was going to get serious with her let alone do something like propose. But in her heart of hearts she couldn't help but wish he—or someone like him—would do just that.

Rachel was happy being a mother even with all of her financial woes. But she yearned to be loved, and there was nothing she wanted more than to meet a really decent guy and settle down and spend the rest of her life with him. But no 22-year guy, especially one that handsome, would throw away his life on a used commodity like her. Or at least that's how she saw it in spite of the kiss and their upcoming date.

"So what's your favorite food at a sushi bar?" Dalton asked to lighten the mood.

Another two hours flew by when Mia came back downstairs and saw Dalton.

"Hey, why are you still here?" she asked.

Her mother almost corrected her again, but Dalton handled it quite well.

"Oh. Well, what if your electricity goes out again? Wouldn't it be nice to have someone here to fix it?"

"Oh," she said, again satisfied with the response before turning to her mother and saying, "Mommy? I'm hungry."

"Yeah. Me, too."

"Me three," Dalton said.

"You're funny!" Mia told him.

Dalton crossed his eyes and rolled them around and said, "Who? ME?"

Mia started laughing, and when she tried to say, "Yes. YOU!" she started coughing.

The coughing soon turned to a kind of choking sound, and Rachel got up and went to get her inhaler. Two puffs later she was much improved.

"You okay?" her mom asked once she settled down.

"Uh-huh. I'm fine. But I'm still hungry!"

"Well, why don't we all go get something to eat?" Dalton suggested.

"Can we can pizza? Or chicken legs?" Mia asked.

"We're going to get sushi, honey. Is that okay?"

Mia liked one thing and one thing only at a sushi restaurant. The large shrimp with butter on them.

"Can I get shrimps?" she asked, adding the 's'.

"Sure. You can have shrimp," her mother told her with a smile. "Now go upstairs, wash your hands, go potty, and get your coat, okay?"

"Okay!" she said as she skipped to the stairs, a cough or two slowing her down.

"Asthma isn't curable, but it can be controlled," Rachel said before realizing Dalton might already know that.

"I'm not sure I did," when she said she didn't mean to sound like she was telling him something new.

He saw the relieved look on her face thens aid, "You can tell me anything, Rachel."

Another warm rush of something—some kind of endorphins maybe—coursed through her body and she told him he could do the same.

Dalton stood up, offered her his hand, then helped her stand up.

Face to face, he took both of her hands again then said, "In that case, I want to tell you how glad I am you asked me to stay."

Rachel smiled then said, "And I'd like to say how happy I am you asked me out."

"Happy enough to let me kiss you again?" he asked with raised eyebrows.

"I wouldn't mind that at all," she told him with a warm, happy smile.

Neither of them heard Mia bounding down the stairs, and just as their lips met again, they heard a loud, "Huh?" in a little girl's voice.

"Uh-oh," Rachel said as she pulled away.

"We are totally busted."

komrad1156
komrad1156
3,802 Followers