Odette: Choose your own adventure!

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"You didn't even get to go to her funeral?"

"Jerry said there wasn't going to be one. Said he was cremating her."

"He sounds like an asshole."

"He is. That's why she hated him. I know she never would have left anything to him, but he never gave me the chance to contest anything. He showed the will from when his dad passed, saying he got everything when Gemma died. I know Gemma had her own will. It doesn't really matter I guess, I don't care about the house. I would like my things though, and my car. Something to remember her by?"

"That is seriously fucked up. City people are so fucked up."

"Yeah. Anyway. So, I need clothes and stuff, that's why we are here."

He grinned and got out, then came around and opened the door I was struggling to open. "Handle sticks," he offered, then helped me down. "So you're not uncle Jerry. He have a last name? Where does he live?"

"Springmeyer. Atlanta."

"That's where you are from?"

"Yeah. My name too."

"Good to know," he grinned, opening the door and holding it for me. I smiled up at him and went in, then my face fell. Unless I was getting country-western or farm clothes, this place wasn't going to work. "You good?" he asked, looking down at me in concern.

"Umm. Is there another place? A place more... umm... less... country?"

"Only if we drove into Edmonton. I can take you Saturday. Here, it's this or the thrift store."

"How far is Edmonton?"

"Forty five minutes? I can't go tonight, I don't get paid till Friday."

"Oh, I would fill your truck up. I have money. I can look here for now. I need warm clothes, it's freezing here already. But Saturday. I will fill your truck up if you take me."

"The hell you will," he grinned. "This aint the city, girls don't pay."

"It's not a date, I am asking a favor, so those sorts of silly rules don't..."

"Shut it little city girl," he teased. "And if I get to take you into Edmonton, it's a date. There'll be dinner and a movie and the works."

I smiled, blushing. "I'd love a date... but... I'm not a city girl like you think. I... don't do well in crowds. I can't do theatres or packed places with lots of people. I'd rather watch a movie on netflix and eat chinese take-out at home."

He smiled and sat down at a picnic table that was on display. He caught my arm and pulled me close, nodding. "I can handle a quiet little homebody city girl. No chinese though. Not out here. We have a mexican place, but it's pretty lousy. You get Pizza or Ma's food around here. Also... you know internet isn't a big thing out here, right? Some people have it, most people don't. I have it on my phone, but only because I have a job and I get it myself. So no Netflix. We can get movies from the redbox at the dollar general. Hey, I think the dollar general has clothes too. Not much, but some. So, anyway. You are pretty adorable and I think you think the same thing about me... so may as well just ask, right? You don't have some dude back in Atlanta, do you?"

I smiled, trying to hide my burning cheeks. "No. I dated a guy for a while, but when he graduated last year, we decided long distance wasn't going to work for us. We hung out through the summer, but once he went to college, it ended pretty quick. His facebook status went from single to relationship less than a week into college, so I am thinking he knew her before."

"Sucks."

I shrugged. "It was bound to happen. I knew he wasn't the one."

"Like, you wanted different things?"

"Umm. I don't know. We didn't do a lot of deep talking."

"Ahh, one of those," he laughed.

I was confused, but I went along with it. "Anyway, I guess I should look while I am here?" I tugged my arm away, but instead of letting go, he stood and held onto my hand as he led me to the woman's clothes.

I felt a million thrills shooting through me as we walked and I couldn't focus on anything but his hand.

"What color do you like?" he asked, flipping through clothes.

"Ummm... I don't know. I wear a lot of geeky t-shirts mostly and flannels over them. Hoodies and yoga pants. I am more comfort, less show."

"You'd look cute in this," he said, holding up a sundress.

I blushed and looked down. "Not warmer though."

"Right. But hey, it'd look hot with a denim jacket and boots?"

I laughed and turned to look at a rack of carhartt hoodies. "So I guess you don't have a girlfriend?" I asked.

"I did, but it was the opposite of your dude. She was all about god and waiting."

"Umm?" I made a confused noise, then I understood his assumption. "Oh. No. No! No, Jeremy never... we never... ummm. When I said we didn't have deep conversations about life, I didn't mean it was because we were physical. I just meant he was shallow."

"Oh... my bad. Sorry."

"No, I understand the thought process, I just... needed to clarify. He... he didn't really like going places with me after we got older. He was ashamed of me."

"What? Why?!?"

"A waiter saw him kiss me one evening and called him a pedo. After that, he thought everyone assumed he was just because I am short. People glance and think I am something I am not, you know?"

"No. I don't know. Who can look at you and see anything but a hot woman? Short, sure, but look at you. You are smoking!"

I felt my face go red to my ears. "I know what you saw when you looked at me," I said quietly, picking at the aglet on the hoodie I was looking at. "And you are probably the first to look at me that way the first time and not after a double take or after they hear my age. Most people do a cursory glance and move on with what they think they know."

"Well, I don't see how anyone can't look at you and see a young lady. I mean, let's be real. As loose as that shirt is, those are still an easy C, small D?" he said, gesturing at my chest.

I crossed my arms, looking up at him, horrified.

"No offense! Not being crass. I mean, I am, but I don't mean it like that! Who can see a girl, even a short girl, with those and still assume kid?!? And then there's your ass. Didn't see it right away, but that's hot too. You are the total package. Small package, but total."

"Oh my god," I whispered, humiliated. "Anyway. Your ex, was she recent?"

"Nah. We broke up after prom last year. It was... complicated. It seems like it's not, but it is. You hear her tell and it's because she wouldn't put out after prom, but that wasn't it. It's kind of a long story."

"I have time," I said, laying the hoodie over my arm and moving to another color.

"So... like I said, She was all 'god' and stuff and was saving herself. Ok, no big, I wasn't pressing it. So I was a junior last year and I could go to prom, but prom is not my thing. I wasn't going to go. She wanted to go, but she was a sophomore, so she couldn't without a date. I told her it was a ridiculous expense for a lousy night. She needled and needled and needled me, then started in on how she was hoping to lose her virginity after prom. I still said no, but she was laying it on thick. Making all kinds of huge promises and going into detail, you know. I said fine even though I knew it was just boasting and I didn't really expect anything, but she had to get her own dress, I was not getting it for her, and I was not renting a tux. I would borrow my dad's old suit. She pouted and went on and on and on, till finally I said I would get her a dress if it was less than $200. She picked out a $300 dress! I said no, I would only go up to $200. So she comes and says her mom got the other $100 and we get the dress. We get it home and her mom is like, it's fine, you can pay me the $100 your next check. I was pissed, but whatever. $300 is a ridiculous amount for a dress to wear one night, right? Anyway. I show up and she is pissy about the pictures and she wants me to cut my hair."

"Your curls?" I asked, horrified.

"Exactly! I say hell no, not happening. So we get this stupid night over with and it was every bit as bad as I knew it would be. Slow dancing, fast dancing, drunk assholes, her and her friends clinging and wanting me to take them all to dinner. I told Stace, no way. I could not get dinner for her and her friends. She threw a huge fit, it was ridiculous. Anyway, end of the night comes and I go to take her home. I am literally driving her home, not stopping, nothing else and she starts in about how I ruined her night and she would not be sleeping with me. I was like... I didn't ask? I mean, I knew already that she wouldn't be my girlfriend the next day, I didn't want to sleep with her at that point, but she made it into this huge deal. Like I was pressuring her for more. I was literally just driving her home, not even talking to her and she was getting louder and louder about how she wasn't going to sleep with me. We get there and she opens the door and goes, 'and I won't suck your tiny ass cock either!' as loud as she can. Like I asked her! Like I would have let her! So she makes it out like I pressed her for all this and I broke up with her because she said no, she was saving herself for god. I broke up with her because she was a bitch. She also had the nerve to ask me for the receipt for the dress so she could return it, her mom wanted her $100 back."

"She sounds..." I trailed off, at a loss.

"And then some," he said emphatically. "So I have been avoiding dating girls for a while. How about this? Red is your color."

"Red? You think?"

"Yeah. You keep turning red, it must be."

"Hah! Hilarious. So the girl. Stace? If you were never with her, how did she know if you had a tiny cock?"

He laughed out loud, a loud, contagious sound and I was giggling alongside him until he tossed the red tractor hoodie at me. Instead of hanging it back up, I laid it over my arm. "She didn't."

"Not going to deny it then?" I asked, still teasing.

"No."

"Can't tell if that's confidence or defeat," I joked, holding up a pair of jeans.

"Well, I figure you aren't the kind of girl who it will matter to in any way."

"What do you mean?"

"If you were to find out the truth, you aren't the type to tell anyone else. If you don't want to know, you aren't the type to speculate and talk about it. If you do want to know, telling you the truth may hinder my progress."

I did laugh then. "Because I am small and I would prefer small?"

"Exactly."

"You are..."

"Hey Ollie, how's your mother?" A man interrupted. He was in a vest and had a nametag.

"Hello Mr Jenkins," Ollie said, his face sobering.

"Please, Ollie, Paul."

"She's fine."

"Who's your little friend?"

"She's Mabel's niece. I know you heard about her since you make it your business to know everything my mom has a hand in."

"Don't be rude, Ollie!" the man admonished sternly.

I decided I did not like Paul Jenkins, him and his pig nose and weak chin. "I am Odette Springmeyer," I told the man.

The man blinked at me. "Odette, that is not a name you hear everyday, is it?" he asked politely.

"No," I agreed. "Not like 'Paul'. What's it like to be one in a hundred and not one in a million? I guess you are used to the whole 'unremarkable' thing though, aren't you? Bill, do you have this in a smaller size? This too? And these? Could you look in the back?"

Ollie was sniggering and he turned away when Paul turned to glare up at him. "I will look," he said primly.

"Thanks Joe!" I called.

"I think you and I are going to get along great," Ollie whispered as I moved to the next rack.

I smiled, but I felt bad. "I'm not usually so mean, he just got my back up. And it's been a hard couple days. And I am tired. Hey, do they have bedding here?"

"Doubt it. We'll have to go to the dollar general for that. We can send Paul to look though?"

I laughed and headed to the front with my clothes. As I was checking out, I looked up at Ollie who was looking out the window at the storm clouds coming in. "I guess I should have someone tell Mike he can stop looking?" I asked.

He grinned at me and I saw the cashier look up at him in wide-eyed adoration. Ollie noticed her too and his smile slipped. "Hey June."

"Hi Ollie!"

"How long have you been working here?" he asked, scowling now as he took my bags off the carousel.

"Two weeks now? Just since school started and I stopped working at..."

"Juniper," Paul snapped, walking up from behind her. "I told you to go to lunch at 6:30 sharp!"

"Yes sir, but there was no one here to relieve me? I couldn't just close the register?"

"Then you call up Ellis or myself. Ms Springmeyer, we don't have any smaller sizes, what we have is on the rack."

"Thanks John!" I said with a blank smile.

We started to go, but the girl started walking with us. "Hey Ollie?" she asked. "Who's your friend?"

I looked at her. "I am Ms Springmeyer!" I said loudly, right in her face.

She blinked and shied back, looking confused. Ollie snorted in amusement as he paused and looked down at the girl. "What do you want June? To run tell Stace I have a girlfriend? It's what she's been waiting for, right? For me to move on so she can try and sabotage it?"

"She just thinks it's fair that girls know what it is you really want," the girl said with a sickly sweet smile.

I smiled at the girl. "I'm not sure what it is he wants from me, but I am just using him for his huge cock. Not his money like her!" I said, still yelling.

"Oh my god!" she whispered, looking around, "why are you yelling?"

"Because you are deaf, right?" I yelled. "Joe said my name and you didn't hear him, so you must be deaf? Or were you just being nosy?"

Ollie sat down in the parking lot, holding his belly he was laughing so hard. "Please!" he managed in a wheeze. "Please go call Stace and tell her exactly that! Oh fuck! Det, you are my new favorite person in the whole world!"

"Is that a step up or down from girlfriend?" I asked, offering my hand to help him up.

"Same I guess," he laughed, letting me help him up. "Later June, tell Stace exactly what she said! I only wish I could see her face!" He was still laughing as he set me in his truck. "You are a little bit feisty, aren't you?" he asked, leaning in the door.

I smiled, but I felt my face go red again. "No... actually. Not usually. I guess you bring it out in me. And... I don't really like your friends."

"Oh, they are no friends of mine. Odette. I was wondering what the fuck 'Det' came from."

"Ollie as in Oliver?"

"If only," he whispered, rolling his eyes. "Olivier. Like, Lawrence Olivier. Mom says we are kin and she has this thing for him."

"Olivier. Sounds very distinguished," I teased, wondering why he was still in the door, looking down at me.

"Would it be alright if I kissed you, Det?" he asked suddenly.

My smile disappeared as I looked up at him in surprise. I felt giddy suddenly and I managed a slight nod.

He leaned in, then hesitated again as he put his hand on my cheek. "I'm not like a city boy, I'm not quick and clever like you. I... may not do it just right like you are used to?"

I felt a rush of affection and I reached up and pulled him close, kissing him. His shock lasted half a second before his hand slid back to my hair to pull me closer. After a moment, he pulled back, his eyes closed, his breathing heavy.

"I know," he began. "I know I should play it cool, wait a day or five, call you and be all whatever. Wait until you have at least unpacked and have lived here a whole day... but I don't really care how things are supposed to be done. I joked about it... but maybe you think you might want to..."

"Yes," I said quickly, cutting him off. "I do. Yeah. And I don't know what you think it's like in the city? But it's just as awkward."

"So... I can hold your hand tomorrow at school? And maybe kiss you too?"

"If you want. If you aren't ashamed of me," I answered, my heart pounding.

He laughed. "Ashamed? Do you know how jealous the guys are going to be?"

"I mean, I know I am a girl they aren't related to..."

"Oh! Whoa now! Was that a joke about inbreeding?"

I managed to chuckle at his mock outrage. "Call me city girl one more time."

"Ok. Ok. Fair enough," he grinned, then shut the door. He was still grinning when he got in.

Stopping the other two places seemed to fly by and I noticed the way he held my hand. It wasn't just casual or affectionate, there was something else there. There was something he wanted or needed and he held onto me like he could only get it from me. It wasn't until we were on our way back to the trailer park that I thought I understood. He wanted to be wanted for him. Not for what he could offer, or what he had. He wanted me to like him. He needed it.

"It gets dark early here," I said quietly as he helped me out of his truck.

"Does it?" he asked, looking me over again, like he couldn't believe I was real.

I smiled and slipped my hand into his.

There were four men at his dining table when we went in and he passed off the onions to his mother. "Took you long enough!" she said as he set them next to her, but it was teasing and not angry. "Len said Joe couldn't finish the girls bed. Sit and eat and then step over and see if she is still up. The girl, not Mabel, don't wake Mabel. If she is still up, see if..."

"Ma?"

Marge looked over her shoulder and saw me standing there and smiled. "I didn't know you were coming back too! Pull up a ch..." she paused when Ollie pulled out a chair for me and she saw him let go of my hand. "Well then! Well and good then! You too Ollie, pull up a chair, grab the stool out of the livin' room!"

"Maybe you should get the stool," he teased, pulling the tall chair up to the table.

I didn't hesitate, I got up and started climbing onto the stool.

"I'm just kidding," he joked, catching me around the waist and setting me back in the chair.

"I'm not, I want the taller chair!" I smiled. I didn't, but I knew the stool combined with his height couldn't be comfortable. He knew I was lying and he humored me. "So you can fix my bed?" I asked as he set a plate in front of me.

"I can try," he shrugged. "If I don't finish tonight, it's not like you don't have a mattress to sleep on, right?"

"Right."

"Or, you know. I have a bed."

I laughed, but his mother turned around, horrified. "Olivier Daniel Loveall!"

"It was a joke Ma! Look, she is laughing, she knows. It's an inside joke."

Marge was red faced as she scowled at him, then she gave me a hard look. Like I was suddenly no longer good enough for her son. A city girl hussy.

I suddenly felt very unwelcome. I stood up. "Thanks for dinner, sorry I couldn't finish all of it. Umm. I need to go put my things up.. Thanks for the ride Ollie, don't worry about the bed thing. I am tired, I will just flip the mattress down and sleep."

Ollie leaned back and smirked at me, crossing his arms. "She isn't really upset, Det. Sit down a minute and finish eating and I will go see if I can figure out that bed. Ma, look at her, you terrified her. Tell her you aren't serious."

Marge gave me a cold look and shook her head. "You are welcome here, girl. You understand things are different here though, right? We aren't like city people and I don't want to see Ollie trifled with. He's never been around a girl so pretty or clever. I don't want him hurt and I don't want no grandkids till he is good and ready."

"Ma!"

"It needs to be said, Ollie! I know how city girls are and what's casual for them is..."

I fled.

Mabel was asleep when I went in and I hurried back to my tiny room, trying not to trip on cats or let them dart in when I opened the door. It was dark, so I had to use my phone for light, but I didn't bother flipping the mattress down, I went under it to the closet with my bag and curled up and cried.

I went quiet when I heard the door open.

"Det?" he called softly. He turned the light on and stood there a moment. He sighed dismally, then I heard him move to the bed and the soft clanging of parts as he worked on the frame.