Office Politics Ch. 02

Story Info
Jess starts her new job.
4.7k words
4.49
11.5k
11

Part 2 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 12/23/2022
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
karaline
karaline
955 Followers

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a nice break. Here is chapter 2! Apologies for not making it clear in the first instance that this is a multipart story, and thanks for all your lovely feedback. Huge thanks in particular to panaflora for reaching out and offering to proof read. (seriously, I need all the help I can get!).

~

Jess hadn't been up this early in a while. The linen shirt had emerged miraculously unscathed from the coffee spill. Her hair was brushed, she wore a touch of mascara and a smear of lip gloss. After a slice of buttered toast with marmite, she was out the door. The sky overhead was an ominous grey, but at least it wasn't raining.

The job was in a different building; a little further west than their central London offices. The woman who greeted her, Lou, seemed immediately more down to earth and less pretentious than the people in the other building. A tension left her shoulders that she didn't know she'd been carrying. The large, open plan office was vibrant and busy, and so far everyone seemed nice.

Lou led her into a small kitchenette. There was a microwave, a coffee machine and a picture of Captain America over the fridge, captioned "Heroes wash up after themselves."

"Do either of you want a coffee?" asked a girl with a Manchester accent, as she somehow managed to squeeze past them.

"Thanks Lauren, that would be lovely," said Lou.

"Yes please!" added Jess.

"Here you go duck, have this." Lauren handed her a mug. It smelled good. Jess grinned. She was starting to feel like this place might work out.

"Ah, a girl after me own heart," said Lauren, and then "Ah didn't know we were hiring Lou?"

"Jess interviewed for the merchandise assistant role in Fulham, and for some reason she's been shunted over here, she's going to be my new assistant."

"Awesome!"

When everyone had coffee, Lou said "I'll show you your desk."

They wandered out of the kitchenette and through the open plan workspace, Lauren too.

"This is Maddie. Maddie, this is my new assistant Jess."

"That was quick," Lauren replied, and then said to Jess, "Lou is an absolute treasure, and you're far better off here than Fulham, we're much nicer."

'Hardly anyone wears jumpsuits here," Lauren added.

"I saw that receptionist with the face like a slapped arse in a kimono the other day," Lauren said, in a stage whisper. Jess knew immediately who she was talking about.

"You didn't."

"Oh Lauren, she's not that bad when you get to know her," Lou said.

"I've yet to see the warm caring side, I've only ever seen the ice queen."

"Jade and Esme seemed nice," Jess said.

"Oh aye, those two are alright I suppose."

"Lauren isn't really the grumpy old goat she seems Jess, she's a big softy really," Lou said, smiling indulgently.

"Shush -- don't tell everyone," Lauren said, laughing.

The job was hectic but fun, and Jess found herself laughing a lot. Having a full time job was always a bit of a shock to the system, but Lou was lovely and the other people she'd got to know so far were too, all far more down to earth than she expected.

Until Thursday.

When Jess arrived at work on Thursday morning, a low level tension seemed to permeate the office. When she passed Lauren's desk, what felt like her already customary "morning" was answered with a tight nod. Everyone else seemed on edge too. Instead of the busy, chatty office she was used to, Jess was greeted with pin drop silence.

It was then she noticed the large office in the corner was occupied for the first time since she'd arrived. The head of operations, Mr. Hunter, had been away at a conference for a few days. Until that morning, his office had loomed empty.

"Jess!"

"Hang on."

She grabbed her notebook, and followed Lou into her office. Her manager was lovely, patient, funny, but Jess had already learned in her short time there that she liked to give instructions in rambling detailed lists, that were too long to be committed to memory.

Jess sat on the comfier of the two chairs, opened the book, and waited, her pen poised, for Lou to start speaking.

Lou's laughter was loud and infectious, "I see you have the measure of me already!"

Jess grinned back and Lou began.

Predictably a very busy morning followed. There was a stakeholders event Friday evening, that Lou had been leading on, to celebrate the launch of a new socially responsible venture -- the opening of a new school in the village near the factory their clothes were manufactured in. Everyone was very excited. That morning, Jess would check the booking and the catering was all set to go ahead.

So of course, it wasn't until much later, as she was grabbing her key card off her desk so she could dash down to reception and collect an urgent delivery that had arrived for Lou, that she finally set eyes on the inimitable Mr. Hunter.

When he emerged from his office, she ground to a halt and their gazes collided. All the air seemed to rush from the room. It was that guy from the cafe. She knew she'd see him at some point. In fact this very scenario, that he could be Mr. Hunter, had already occurred to her, but what she didn't factor in was the lurch of attraction.

In his sharp suit, he was even more handsome than she remembered, his hair darker and thicker, his cheekbones more striking, his eyes somehow bluer. As they crawled up and down the length of her, she felt her face warm and she tried not to squirm from the intensity of it all.

She scuttled past him as soon as she'd recovered from the shock of finding herself in such unexpectedly close proximity to him, but she didn't breathe again until she was safely ensconced alone in the lift and on her way down to the ground floor. She wasn't sure why he affected her so strongly. But he did. He undoubtedly did. As soon as she set eyes on him, it was as if there was a direct line between her brain and her pussy.

When she arrived back from the errand she'd been running, he wasn't in his office anymore; she sighed with relief.

***

She was engrossed in figuring out how to photocopy double-sided, some time later, when he passed her near the printer.

"Nice skirt," he said, quietly enough that only she would hear. His scratchy, gruff voice did funny things to her insides.

"Thanks," she replied, automatically polite, even though she was pretty sure he didn't mean it as a compliment. She looked up. He was in his office again, leaning back against his chair. Watching her through the glass with lidded eyes.

She squirmed and looked away, instead casting her eyes around the room. No one else seemed to have noticed this blatant power play, thankfully, but she realised in that moment he had a full view of her desk from his.

Later, she was in the kitchen, struggling with the coffee pod machine, when Lauren wandered in.

"Oh there's a knack with those, love, they're too tight to buy the branded variety and these ones don't fit quite right, you need to..." She slid in the pod. "There you go. How are you getting on? I mean apart from the coffee machine?"

"Great, everyone seems so nice here."

"I told you, much better than the Fulham office."

Jess laughed, "More convenient for me to get to, I know that much."

"Where are you based?"

"Willesden."

"Oh, the ginger line, perfect -- when it runs that is."

"'Oh?"

"It can be a bit unreliable, unscheduled engineering works, leaves on the track, that sort of thing."

"Well I can always dust my bicycle off, if that happens, I should probably do that anyway to be honest."

*

The day was over, and Jess was hugely relieved to be going home. She slid into the crowded lift, and stared at her feet, wondering if she would ever get used to being around Him.

The doors were about to slide closed, when her skin prickled with sudden awareness.

She didn't need to look up to know he was there. In the lift. With her. The familiar scent of his woody cologne flooded her olfactory system and the half a dozen or so other people pressed into the lift with them didn't seem to exist anymore; it was just the two of them. There were no words spoken, but when his arm pressed against hers she sneaked a look up at his face. He didn't respond. He was staring right ahead, as if she wasn't there, as if their arms weren't touching, as if fire wasn't tearing through her veins, as if her knees weren't suddenly jelly. She was certain he was doing it on purpose. She clenched her fists and returned her gaze to the ground near her feet. The lift wasn't that crowded. She heard him exhale, and even the sound of his breathing did something in the pit of her stomach.

The descent to the ground floor took a small age. She even considered hopping out early and using the stairs, but she didn't want him to know he was getting to her. So instead, she silently thanked the gods for that yoga retreat she let herself get talked into last summer and the relaxation techniques she'd learned along with those yoga poses with silly names, like down facing dog. She closed her eyes and breathed in through her mouth, out through her nose.

When finally, the doors slid open again, he simply strolled away without looking back. Jess blinked and shook her head, in a bid to clear the fog of attraction.

Moments later she was sitting on the eastbound platform, waiting for her train, clutching her bag against her chest, thinking that maybe it had been completely unintentional? It was crowded in there after all. Maybe she was just reading too much into everything.

*

Jess had somehow made it to the end of her first week without bursting into flames. She still found being around Gabriel Hunter hard, but his impact on her ovaries had somewhat diminished at least.

There was some work do that evening. They'd mentioned it straight off the bat during her orientation. It was a stakeholder event, linked with the socially aware arm of the company, and all staff were obliged to attend. 'You won't have to stay long," Lou had told her. She'd been tangentially involved in the organising of it: mainly checking the orders had arrived, invitations had been sent and the caterers were doing okay.

"It's Ella's last day and I know you won't know many people. You're welcome to leave, or stay as long as you like. The hotel is on the Thames, the catering is always lovely and there will be an endless supply of free bubbly to make up for the tedious conversation. And of course, we'll all be there, getting quietly sloshed in the corner!"

That evening, back at Gran's, she worried about what to wear. Working for a fashion company, when you weren't really a fashionista, was beset with small stresses, she confided to Gran over dinner.

"Would you like to wear something of mine dear? I think you're about the same size I was when I was your age."

For a minute, Jess was baffled, and it must have shown on her face.

"Don't look so shocked, I was young once too you know, and it seems these days what goes around comes around."

Moments later they were in the master bedroom, dresses on hangers were laid out on the bed and hanging from every available place, and Jess had just discovered a whole side to Joanie she had no idea existed.

In the end she went for the blue and green shift dress with the curley symmetrical design that her gran had suggested in the first place. It paired perfectly with a pair of green square toed shoes with the low wedge heels.

"It's Mary Quant," Joanie told her, "and it's probably worth a few bob now." Even Jess had heard of the infamous 60's designer.

"It's beautiful Gran," she whispered, tearing up.

"It's lovely to see it worn again. You go and have fun my dear."

*

As soon as she arrived, the first thing she noticed was Gabriel. Of course he was standing in the very centre of the room. Right in the thick of it, surrounded by people all trying to talk to him at once. She was used to seeing him in a suit at work, and with his broad shoulders and narrow hips he wore them well, but he looked particularly striking in formal wear. His hair, which was normally tousled and charmingly dishevelled, was combed back from his face, lending his features a more austere, angular look. Jess was enjoying being able to admire him from afar, while he was too busy networking to feel her gaze.

"Hey!"

Jess started, and spun round, and there beside her was the lovely girl from the outlet.

"Katie! How are you?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Oh, I got the job, well I got a job."

"I haven't seen you around."

"'m based in the Acton office. I haven't been back into Fulham since the interview."

"Oh, so you've joined the other side."

"Can we still be friends?" Jess asked, with mock earnest.

Katie looked theatrically from left to right. "Well I suppose it might be okay," she said in a stage whisper. "And besides, I must know. Where did you get that incredible dress!"

"It belongs to my gran."

Katie's face lit up, "Wow, it's proper vintage then?"

Jess nodded. "Mary Quant."

"Shut up!" Katie insisted on Jess turning around so she could check the label.

"Oh my god," she squealed. "It is, it is!"

Jess accidentally caught Gabriel's eye, when he glanced over to see the source of all the fuss. His expression as he took in the sight of her was unreadable, but soon enough he disappeared from view again as admirers, also drawn by Katie's squeals, flocked around her.

Jess squirmed. She wished it had occurred to her earlier that this might happen, which if she'd have given it a moment's thought would have. She could feel her face heat, but as though reading her mind, Katie laughed and grabbed her hand.

"Back off everyone, you're making Jess uncomfortable." And then to Jess, "Come on, let's go and avail one of those trays of one of their fine beverages."

"Let's," Jess replied grinning.

As Katie pulled her through the crowd Jess noticed their surroundings for the first time. The deep red walls and carpet gave the room a sumptuous feel, reinforced by the giant chandelier hanging from the centre of the high ceiling. Hors d'oeuvres and glasses of sparkling wine were carried so high on silver trays that Jess felt nervous just looking at them. Her mouth fell open when she realised the source of music was a baroque quintet perched on a low stage in the corner. She heard Lou and the others before she saw them, and smiled fondly at Lauren's familiar drain-like laugh.

"Jess, Katie! Have you been here long?"

"Just arrived."

"That dress!" Said Lou, her eyes wide.

"My grannie lent it to me. I was a bit stumped for what to wear, and suddenly she revealed a whole wardrobe of vintage party wear."

"So there is more where that came from then?"

"Yes. Lots."

"Wow! Your gran sounds like quite a woman."

"She is, she's a bit off-colour at the moment, she's just recovering from a hip replacement."

"Hence the sudden halt in travelling?" Lou asked shrewdly.

"Yes."

Before Lou got the chance to ask any more questions, they were joined by an older man. He was handsome, with silver hair and kind brown eyes. He greeted Lou and Katie warmly and then directed his attention to Jess.

"I don't believe we've met as yet."

"George, Jess is my new assistant, she started on Monday."

"Ahh, really very new then, I hope we're living up to your expectations Jess. That's a very striking dress. Mary Quant?"

"I feel a bit of a fraud in it to be honest, the fact that I'm wearing it is purely accidental. It belongs to my gran. I didn't have anything to wear, and she offered to lend me something."

"I'd like to meet your gran," Lou said. "She sounds like quite a lady."

Jess smiled. "She is."

*

A few hours later, after a few more glasses of bubbly, Jess was taking the chance to admire Gabriel from a discreet distance.

"He really carries off formal wear well doesn't he?"

She looked up and there was Katie, she handed Jess a glass of bubbly she'd brought over for her, and leaned against the wall beside her. "I wonder if he's ever thought about modelling the menswear in the catalogue."

"I don't know, but you're right, he is hot."

"Those eyes."

"It's the hair that gets me, I just want to run my fingers through it everytime I see him."

Katie nodded. "Especially when it's wet, like that time in the shop. What's it like working in the same office as him?"

"Confusing. I mean I'm attracted to him. I'd like to pretend that I'm not but I am."

Katie groaned. "Sounds like hard work."

"That blonde woman has basically been superglued to his side all evening anyway, so it might all be academic."

Katie laughed and grabbed Jess's hand. "Let's go and check out the food."

For most of the evening, they hung around with a group of people, mostly from her office, some from the other office. They all seemed very down to earth and good-natured. More so than she'd expected. The friendly competition between the two sites seemed to be no more than a running joke. At that moment, Katie was insisting Jess pop into the outlet again.

"The staff discount is bigger on work wear," she told her.

Lou nodded. "Oh you definitely should, Jess."

"Are you suggesting my wardrobe is in need of improvement?" Jess laughed.

"No not at all, but you might as well take advantage of it."

The clothes were lovely, it was true. Smart, practical, good quality, with a classic, enduring style, and Jess was in need of a wider selection of clothes to wear to the office. Workwear was definitely a bit different when you didn't work at a bar in a resort in Thailand.

Everyone else was planning on leaving soon and going on to a club in Vauxhall, but Jess would probably just go home, she didn't want to leave Joanie for too long. With a start, she realised she wasn't having a terrible time. They all felt a bit out of place. But like Lou said; free food, free booze, it could be worse.

So her guard was down, when she emerged from the loo after fixing her makeup, to suddenly find herself much nearer to Gabriel than she had been all night. He was standing nearby with a group of people laughing and there was that woman with him. The blonde one, that Jess had taken to calling Jerry Hall, when she thought about her. Jess watched as the woman rested a hand on his arm and threw her head back in laughter, at something he'd said no doubt. She really was very glamorous.

Before she had a chance to look away, he glanced over and their eyes met and for the longest time, she couldn't tear her gaze away, however much as she wanted to; she felt trapped in his gaze. There behind the mortification of being caught staring, was the predictable lurch of attraction she always felt when near him.

The warmth infusing her face told her she must be blushing, and with that realisation she finally managed to avert her gaze. She skirted the edge of the room, to where the doors stood open and stepped out into the dark terrace. Gratefully, she breathed in the crisp night air, and immediately her mind began to clear.

There was no one else out there, she had only the river and the moon for company. Jess leaned against the balcony, and gazed out into the darkness. It was so pretty and tranquil. The lights on Richmond Bridge twinkled at her and she couldn't help but wonder at the huge houses that lined the opposite bank. It was surprisingly mild for the time of year, but not mild enough to be out there without a coat for too much longer. Which was a shame. It really was very pretty, and such a welcome respite from the party. She was about to go back inside, when suddenly, she could feel that familiar, exasperating sense that he was near.

Reluctantly, she looked up.

And there he was. Finally without his entourage. Leaning back on the balcony. watching her through hooded, almost black eyes, a champagne flute dangling carelessly from his hand. He looked every bit the debauched reprobate she was certain he was. He was close enough that she could see the bubbles in his champagne. Close enough that when she took a deep, bracing breath she could smell the woody, musky scent of his cologne.

karaline
karaline
955 Followers
12