One Man's Heart

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers

"Where is he now?" I asked her.

"He's staying with me and the twins. You know how much they love him. I'm afraid you're going to have one spoiled dog on your hands when he goes home."

Don told me his office was investigating the incident and to expect a couple of detectives to stop by in the next day or two.

The following day I was visited by two detectives from the Sheriff's Department. They wanted to know what happened. I'm afraid I wasn't much help. All I could remember was seeing Pamela get stabbed by Frank Stilton and me kneeling down beside her trying to stop the bleeding. I asked about Stilton and all they would say was he didn't make it.

When I asked them about everything that happened they responded that they had a few more witnesses to interview and as soon as they finished I would receive a copy of their full report.

True to his word Dr. Emerson released me from the hospital four days before Christmas. Dave picked me up and drove me home. He told me that he had one of our guys drive my truck home and it was sitting in my garage. I asked about Tracy and Pamela and he said they were waiting at home for me. The rest of the ride was spent on bringing me up-to-date on everything that was happening at 'Triple S'.

As soon as I walked in I knew something was different. My home was decorated for Christmas for the first time since Barbara's death. There even was a ten foot tall tree in the family room covered with lights and ornaments.

"I hope you don't mind. We asked Mrs. Elliot about how you decorated for Christmas and she told us you hadn't since your wife died. The three of us decided to surprise you." Pamela continued saying, "Tracy and Mrs. Elliot did most of the work since I'm not suppose to move my shoulder too much until the stitches are removed."

"That's not true, Pamela, and you know it. You worked just as hard as we did. I just wouldn't let you go up and down on the ladder when you wanted." Tracy exclaimed to her sister. Turning to me she asked. "Do you like it?"

"It's beautiful. Everything is beautiful." I said wiping a tear from my eye.

That evening we sat on the sofa in front of the Christmas Tree I told Tracy I had to tell her something. I saw the fear on her face before I could say another word. Immediately I moved closer and put my arm around her.

"After Barbara died I didn't think I would ever find someone to love. I was wrong. I've fallen in love with you."

She buried her head in my shoulder softly crying. I tilted her head up and kissed her deeply. She responded by putting her hand behind my head, refusing to let our lips part.

"Oh Scott. You don't know how long I waited to hear you say those words to me. I fell in love with you the first weekend we met."

Unbeknownst to us Pamela stood in the door way watching as our lips met again. We spent the next few hours hugging and kissing each other. Later that evening Pamela confided in her sister as to what she had witnessed telling her how happy she was for the both of us.

On December 23rd I received the final report from the Sheriff's Office. Don and his two detectives came out to the house that afternoon to explain what their investigation revealed. As I opened the front gate to allow them to drive up to the house Gunner appeared at my side. He recognized Don but not the two detectives with him. He became protective of me until I gave him the it's 'OKAY' command allowing them to enter.

When we went into the family room Don commented on how nice the house looked decorated for Christmas. I told him that it was the work of Tracy, her sister and Mrs Elliot. I offered them seats and I sat on the sofa with Tracy and Pamela on either side of me. Don introduced the two detectives to Tracy and Pamela and they started to go over their report with us.

"I'm just going to give you a brief synopsis of the report this lengthy investigation produced. You really don't need to know all the biographical data of each of the witnesses. Since all of the witness statements were fundamentally the same I'll just relate one to you. It should answer all of your questions," the lead detective explained.

"This is the statement of George Wilson," he said and began reading.

******************

"My name is George Wilson I'm sixty-seven years old. I was sitting in my wheelchair just about a half a block from the town square on Main Street the morning of Saturday, December the fourteenth at about 11:30 am. I saw two young women, one looked to be in her early to mid-twenties and the other in her late teens or early twenties."

"The younger one was having, what sounded like a heated argument, with a man. He had dark hair and a medium build. I couldn't hear what they were saying but when she turned to walk away he grabbed her around the neck and I saw him stab her in her upper right shoulder. It looked to me he was about to stab her again when this huge dog came out of nowhere and attacked him. The girl fell to the street as he tried to fight off the dog. That dog worked a number on him. He flat tore him up something good."

"Then this other man rushed up and knelt down beside her. He was using the girl's scarf holding it over the knife wound. All of sudden another guy, wearing one of those biker gang leather jackets, hit the fellow kneeling in the back of the head with a club of some sort. When the dog saw that he attacked the biker guy and put him on the ground."

"Meanwhile the older girl was being held by someone and she was screaming. The dog saw that and he went after him. He saw that dog coming at him and shoved the girl away onto the street. She fell next to the other two. He ran off like Hell and got away."

"This all happened in less than a minute or two but I'm not sure. That dog stayed by the three on the ground and would let anyone get close. I wouldn't have tried. That dog had some big teeth and showed me he wasn't afraid to use them. When the cops and EMTs showed up the dog wouldn't let them get close either."

"Right then a lady Sheriff's Deputy showed up. She walked right up to that dog and called him something that sounded like 'Runner' or 'Gunner'. 'Stop . . . it's okay . . . stop'. Damned if that dog didn't sit right down and she was able to lead him away by his collar."

"The next thing I remember was the EMTs putting the man and the young girl on stretchers and taking them away. The older girl went with them. When the cops began asking if anybody saw what happened I gave them my name and told them what I had seen."

******************

Don leaned over to me and said, "we obtained this statement from him when my detectives interviewed Mr. Wilson later that afternoon. All the other eight witnesses gave basically the same account as to what happened. We were able to track down the other two and they're back in jail. No bond this time."

"Why did Stilton attack Pamela? What was his motive?" I asked.

"I don't know. He probably thought he could convince her to drop the charges against him. I guess he didn't realize that the charges were brought by the state. Once the DA saw the evidence we had he filed the charges. I would say that Stilton was dumb as a rock but that gives rocks a bad name." He replied to me.

"What happened to Stilton?" I asked the Sheriff. "I was told he didn't make it."

"When Gunner went after him he got him around the throat. The bite severed Stilton's carotid artery. He was DOS (dead on the scene)."

"Anything going to happen to Gunner for killing him?"

"Not a thing, Scott, not a thing. He was just doing what he was trained to do. Protecting 'HIS,' family. Hell, he might even get a medal for it."

As the three laws enforcement officials rose to leave Pamela, Tracy and I thanked them for coming by and sharing the results of their investigation. After they left the three of us sat and talked about what we had learned.

"Okay. It's over and done with." I said. "Let's focus on Christmas and enjoy the holiday. I invited Mrs. Elliot and her husband for Christmas dinner. She was going to come over and prepared it for us and then go back home. I told her that was foolish. She needed to stay and we would all enjoy her and her husband's company."

Pamela piped right up and said. "That's a wonderful idea. I can help her so she isn't doing all the work by herself."

"Me too." Tracy echoed. "Do we need to go to the grocery store?"

The next day, Christmas Eve, Tracy and Pamela both asked if we could all go to church that evening. I remembered that the Lutheran Church, I sometimes went to, had a candlelight service. That evening around ten-thirty we left for the church. We arrived a few minutes before the start of the service and the church was packed. I saw three seats in a pew almost in the front. Moving toward them I was surprised to see Dave Collins, his wife, Darlene, and their nineteen year old son Brad sitting there. Dave had told me that Brad was working for a year before going on to college.

We squeezed in with Pamela sitting next to Brad, then Tracy and finally me. Dave leaned forward and introduce his family to Tracy and Pamela just before the service began.

It was a wonderful service celebrating the birth of the baby Jesus with lots of singing and a inspirational Christmas message. The service concluded with the lighting of the individual candles that we were all given when we first arrived. Standing as we lit the candles the congregation sang 'Silent Night' signaling the traditional end to service. The first two verses in English and the last two in German.

After the benediction we carefully extinguished our candles and with the words 'Go in Peace' we filed out. As I stepped into the aisle to allow Tracy and Pamela to leave I was pleased to see Brad follow right behind Pamela. As we walked out I noticed Brad and Pamela holding each other's hand.

Exiting the church I was reminded that there was to be a gathering in the fellowship hall. The tables were filled with homemade cookies, cold drinks as well as hot chocolate and coffee.

While we were enjoying the efforts of the ladies of the church Tracy leaned over to me nodding toward her sister and Brad and said to me. "Looks like Pamela has found herself a boyfriend."

"She couldn't have found a better one." I answered.

After the holidays were over we went back to our daily routine. Work for Tracy and me and school for Pamela. Only now a certain young man picked Pamela up in the morning and brought her home each afternoon after he got off from his job. They spent a lot of time together under the watchful eye of Mrs. Elliot.

Tracy and I spent a lot of time together as well. Only we didn't require a chaperone. One day I took her up to the family graves, a short walk behind the house, located on a small knoll overlooking a meadow that stretched to the back of my property. It was then I introduce her to my family. We sat on a stone bench and I related to her the dream I had while unconscious in the hospital.

On Valentine's Day I proposed and she accepted. We were married that June.

******************

Ten years later I took my two small children Trace and Barbara, who were three and four at the time, to visit the family grave yard behind the house. The meadow was now filled with spring flowers.

Standing in front of each stone I explained to them once more who they were.

"This is your great-Grandfather Thomas and this is your great-Grandmother Heidi. They are my grandparents and I loved them very much. This is where my mother, Marie, is buried. I loved her very much, too."

Taking a deep breath and letting it out slowly I said to them. "This is where your Aunt Barbara sleeps and next to her is your Aunt Tracy and between them is Gunner. He's the grandfather of your dog Sarge. Gunner liked to walk around the perimeter of the property every day and then he would come and visit the cemetery."

"One day , shortly after you were born Trace, he didn't come home and I went looking for him. I found him laying here by Barbara and Tracy. He had lived a long life so I buried him here between the two women who had meant so much to both him and me. He's going to lay here forever, protecting them."

Stopping for a moment we sat on the stone bench while I wiped the tears from my eyes. I then re-told them the story of these special people and how much love I still have for them.

My youngest, Barbara, looked at me and said. "Daddy, don't cry. Mommy loves you and so do Trace and me."

"I know sweetheart, I know. I love all three of you very, very much, too."

With that they both scampered off to pick flowers in the meadow with Sarge running alongside of them keeping them out of trouble.

I remained sitting there by myself and began reflecting on all the memories that had happened to me over the past past ten years.

******************

Barbara was right I did find enough room in my heart for another. Over the next three years of marriage the love between Tracy and I had grown even greater. Pamela had graduated from high school and had left to join Brad, at the university some three hours drive away.

We had purchased a VW Beatle convertible for Tracy to use as she wasn't comfortable driving the truck. She loved that little car and drove it everywhere.

I was at work one afternoon when a state trooper appeared in the office to see me. There had been an accident and Tracy was in critical condition at County General Hospital.

On the way to the hospital the trooper told me what had happened. A twenty-three year old man, high on pot and texting on his cell phone, had run a red light. Even though Tracy was belted in and the side and front airbags deployed as designed she didn't stand a chance and was critically injured. The guy, who wasn't wearing his seatbelt, was ejected from his car and died at the scene.

Just before entering the emergency room I called Pamela and told her what had happened. She replied to me that she would leave school as soon as possible. I had to wait for quite some time before I was allowed to go in and see my wife.

Before entering her room a doctor stopped me in the hallway and told me that they had done everything they could for her but it was just a matter of time. I went in and sat beside her bed, grasping her hand, I told her how much I loved her.

Looking at me she replied, "I know, I know you do. I love you so very much, Scott."

It seemed like just minutes later when Pamela rushed into the room. Tracy asked me if she could have some time alone with her sister so I stepped out into the corridor to wait. Several moments later Pamela summoned me back inside. Thirty minutes later Tracy was gone while I held her in my arms whispering how much I loved her. Somehow Pamela and I got through the next several days. We buried Tracy in the family graveyard next to Barbara.

Soon afterward Pamela said she needed to get back to school. When she left the house was deserted once more. Mrs. Elliott was getting on in years and had decided to retire so that she and her husband could travel. I had not found a replacement for her, as yet, when Tracy was killed and now I kept putting it off.

Ten days later on Saturday afternoon, as I was working with the roses in the greenhouse, I heard the alarm signal go off that indicated someone had activated the driveway gate. Gunner accompanied me to the front of the house and I looked out the foyer window. It was Pamela.

As soon as I opened the door Gunner recognized her and began wagging his tail furiously. Inviting her inside I said to her. "Wow! This is a surprise. What brings you home so soon?"

With a big sigh she replied. "Can we sit in the family room? I have to tell you something."

"Certainly, sounds ominous," I said leading the way. "Would you like something to drink? Coffee, tea?"

"I'd like a glass of wine, if you have some chilled."

Raising an eyebrow I said "okay".

Returning from the kitchen with wine glasses, a corkscrew and a bottle of Riesling I sat next to Pamela, opened the bottle and poured two glasses. Handing one to Pamela I sat back and watched her take a healthy sip and then put the glass down on the coffee table in front of us.

Clasping her hands together in her lap she turned slightly toward me and said.

"I broke up with Brad."

"Oh, no. When? What happened?" I asked.

"The day after I returned to school from Tracy's funeral. On the drive back to school I realized that I didn't love him the way he deserved. I kept hearing in my mind over and over the last words Tracy spoke to me. I thought long and hard about it and decided I had to make a clean break from him."

"So the next day he and I had a long talk with each other. I explained all my thoughts and feelings to him. After some discussion we decided to remain just friends."

"Scott, I want to come home."

"What about your classes? You are so close to graduating. Why do you want to give up everything you've worked so hard for over the past three years?"

"I'm not going to give all that up. I spoke with my professors, my advisor and the Dean of my college and got their approval to finish everything on-line. I can do everything right here and still graduate in two and a half semesters. The scholarship and loans I have will still covers all my expenses. I have thought long and hard about this decision."

"Can I come home, please? Please say yes, Scott, please."

"Well, since you are almost twenty-three years old you're old enough to decide what you want to do yourself. I have no problem with you coming home if that's what you want, Pamela."

Looking at me, with a sly little smile on her face, she said. "I just knew you'd say yes. So I have all my belongings packed into my car. Will you help me move back into my old room?"

Laughing at her I said. "You always could twist me around your little finger. Come on and let's go get your stuff."

Working late into the night we finally got her settled back in her old room. We slept in on Sunday morning although Gunner woke me up to let him out around nine. I couldn't fall back asleep so I made myself a cup of coffee and sat out amongst the roses. Pamela showed up around ten and we decided to go out for a late breakfast/early lunch.

The following morning I was sitting in the kitchen having my coffee before heading off to work when Pamela walked in asking if I had already finished my breakfast. I told her I hadn't had any and would stop by the doughnut shop on my way to work like I did every morning.

"What time will you be home this evening?" She asked me as I was leaving. "I'll make dinner for us."

"Don't fuss for me." I told her as I left. "I'll stop by one of the fast-food joints and pick something up."

The next morning I was surprised to see Pamela in the kitchen when I came downstairs from my bedroom.

"Sit down," she instructed me. "Scott, doughnuts are not good for you every morning. You need to have a proper breakfast," she said.

She turned back to the gas stove and plated up a bacon and cheese omelet. Placing it front of me, with a cup of coffee, she told me that she would be making my breakfast from here on out and not to argue.

"Also, I expect you home for dinner every night. We'll eat at seven so be here on time. Understand?"

As I thought back to that day little did I realize the changes that were in store for me over the coming year. In the next next few weeks and months I became aware that all of a sudden my dirty laundry disappeared and my clean shirts and pants were freshly ironed and hanging back in my closet. Clean and folded underwear and socks were back in my dresser drawers. My bed linen was clean and fresh every Friday.

Pamela gradually took over all the house hold cleaning chores. I had been really lax in keeping things up after Tracy died and this was a welcomed change for me and I told her so.

GatorRick
GatorRick
771 Followers