On the Mend

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I eyed my friend, "I know it was more than nothing, Toby. I love her, I always have." He smiled at me. I panicked. "Mate, Rose was married to you, Louise to me, sure we dated and even gave each other our firsts, but Toby, that's your wife we're talking about. How can I cheat with her on you?

"Cameron," he said seriously. "I'm dead." His tone was sad but final. "The two of you can't cheat on me, Rose, like you, has so many more years left in her. She needs someone that will love her and protect her as much as I did. Look Cameron, you said it yourself, Louise is out of your life now or soon will be, and you do love Rose."

He looked at me for a moment, it felt like the real Toby was weighing up something important to say, not some figment of my imagination.

"Rose loves you too, Cameron. Sure, she's hurting from my death, but she is desperately holding onto hope that you won't abandon her. In her heart, she holds you dear with the same type of love she does for me. Indeed, she may love you more than me as you have known her so much longer. I mean that." I didn't know what to say.

"You know," he leant in like he was about to tell me a secret, "if Rose and I hadn't met when you two were apart, she was going to hunt you down then get you to marry her."

"What?" I said, almost spluttering in my rum. "How in the hell would you know that?"

"She told me." He smiled.

I baulked at the dream of my best friend, "How could she tell you, you're just some dream of my best friend that for some reason my slumbering mind is using to help me process everything, Rose never said anything to me about that, so how could you know?"

Toby laughed.

"Cam, look around you at the walls, at this pub. This isn't just a dream, and I'm not just a figment of your exhausted mind." He said.

"Bullshit," I replied.

"Cam, it's true. I'll prove it to you." He told me.

"How?" I replied sceptically.

He held up three fingers. "Three ways." He said with a note of humour in his voice.

"First," he held up his index finger. "When you get to hospital tomorrow, ask Rose what the final words I told her were."

I snorted, "I already know that. You were in the car and told each other you love each other."

Toby smiled shaking his head. "Well, that's sort of true, but after that, when both of us knew I wasn't going to make it, I became calm. Somehow, I knew Rose would see the next day, and my final words were, "Love Cameron for all your days."

I started to reply, Toby raised his hand, extending two fingers this time.

"Second, tomorrow while at the hospital, Louise is going to turn up. It won't be pretty."

"Toby, there is no way...."

"Third," he said, interrupting me this time holding three fingers up. "My mum is going to bring Rose and yourself one of those amazing chicken salad sandwiches from the Asian Sandwich shop on North Harbour, letting you know she thought of both of you while she was driving. She will be wearing Yellow sandals."

I looked at my friend. He laughed at me again.

"Toby, how can you know, this is a dream and your dead?" I told my friend.

He touched the side of his nose like it was a secret.

"Honestly, I'm not allowed to say," he told me, "It's a miracle that I was allowed to meet with Rose and you in the first place. But I was asked to meet with you, so I am. I am happy to get to spend some more time with you."

I didn't believe him, but I had to admit I was glad to say I was happy to see him too.

"So, if it all happens that way, what do I do, marry her?" I asked.

Toby laughed again, "That's up to you, my friend, but if you did marry Rose, you would have my blessing." He picked up his drink, dragging me out of the booth over to a dartboard. "Now that is something I couldn't say while I was alive. But love her fiercely Cam, make me proud to be your best friend regardless of what you chose."

For what felt like the next hour, Toby and I played darts, we drank and at one point, I think we were singing bar songs. Some other patrons even joined us though I still can't recall them in focus. Well, except for one other guy, he felt like he looked after the place or was significant in whatever this was. But as we drank and danced, the pub faded from view. My last memory was Toby leaning over me, hugging me, thanking me for being his friend as we said goodbye to each other.

I woke with hot tears streaming down my face. I was sad, but happy too. I even got to say goodbye this time.

[:::: - 9 - ::::]

By the time I was shaved and dressed, I had largely forgotten the dream. I stopped at the office checking in with my managers. Everyone knew I was spending a lot of time working from Rose's hospital room as well as finalising moving house in the next few weeks. My assistant had all my papers ready for the day, accepted the ones I worked on yesterday, then ushered me into a meeting room where I worked with my floor managers for an hour before heading to the hospital. It was around lunchtime when I arrived, Rose smiled as I entered the room.

She had gotten a report from the doctors that while she still had a long way to go, she would be able to go home in a few weeks. She had been complaining that she was tired of the hospital bed for a few days now, while they had managed to give her a bed with a window, she wanted to get out of the four walls.

I was excited for her. Getting her settled in at home would help her a lot. We talked about her getting to sleep in her bed when Toby's mum Camilla walked in. I didn't know Camilla as well as Rose's mum Edwina, but we were casual friends, she smiled as she walked into the room.

"Rose," she said in a warm friendly tone. "You're looking so much better today, and Cameron, you're looking so dashing and handsome. You are so good to look after Rose like this. I know Toby would be so proud of you." She said as she leaned over to kiss Rose. As she did, I noticed a pair of yellow sandals on her feet; I froze. Rose noticed the blood drain away from my face.

"Cam, what is it?" both Rose and her mother-in-law looked where I was looking towards Camilla's feet.

"Is something wrong with my shoe's Cam?" Camilla asked, frowning. "I picked them up yesterday on special."

"No, sorry, Camilla," I replied. "Sorry, it was a dream last night, your shoes just reminded me, that's all," I said, trying to dismiss the thought. Rose continued staring at me a minute while Camilla fussed.

"Oh, before I forget, I picked you both up some lunch from that amazing Asian Sandwich shop in North Harbour. They have the most amazing chicken sandwiches." She said, buoyant and excited to tell us how they make them with everything you can hold in two hands for just six dollars.

As Camilla said the words 'chicken sandwiches,' I mouthed the words with her as I sat down.

"Cam, are you alright?" Rose asked, concerned.

I looked over at Rose, then over at Camilla, to the sandwiches in her hand she was unwrapping for us, then lastly to her yellow sandals. It was a dream, I told myself, just a stupid dream. I tried to tell myself it was a coincidence.

I tried to excuse myself by telling both ladies that I was just tired, Camillia didn't know me well enough to object, but Rose did give me a look that said we would talk about it later. So we ate our sandwiches and Camilla was right, they were terrific. Imagine layer after layer of chicken, lettuce, tomato, cheese, beetroot, pineapple, salt, pepper and a fantastic fruit relish placed between two pieces of very soft but crusty bread, giving you have a lunch that makes your taste buds dance.

After lunch, we sat around talking about nothing, mainly the weather and how we would get Rose home. I started to relax no longer as worried, now relaxing into a post-lunch lull when Louise strode into the room.

Louise was dressed in jeans and a blouse, her hair done up in a bun. If I had to admit it, she looked good, perhaps a little leaner than when I last saw her, but good nonetheless. She was carrying a bunch of flowers and a wrapped gift, but she waltzed in like she was supposed to be there. Shew walked like the last few months never happened.

"Oh Rose, it's so good to see you. You're looking well all things considered." Louse said. She scanned the room then spotted me, suddenly her entire demeanour changed.

"Cameron," she snarled, "What are you doing here? It's your fault that Rose is here and Toby is dead. You have no right to be here. Once I am done divorcing you, I'll make sure that Rose is looked after so she never has to see your ugly face again."

I rose to my feet; thunder clouds were gathering.

"Get out!" a small voice said. Everyone turned towards the bed where Rose was crying, looking away from everyone towards the window.

"Rose, it's okay. I'll get Cameron out of here," Louise said.

"No, he stays, you go." She said tears were leaking ever so slowly down her face. I took a step towards Louise.

"Louise, you need to go," I said sternly. "For once, listen. You need to leave."

Louise had a fit. She threw the present on the ground, we heard a distinctive smash. The flowers were next thrown against the wall. I took two steps interposing myself between Louise and Rose, laying on the bed, Camilla standing stunned in the background.

Louise went on a rant, "What the fuck Cameron, what the hell did you say to her. She knows it's your fault Toby's dead, doesn't she? Why in three hells would she think I have anything to do with her accident or you. You are the one that needs to leave. I'll look after Rose, I'll stay with her making sure she's alright now she's lost her husband," then she looked down at Rose's stump where her left hand used to be. "And with her lost hand, I'll be happy to make sure she is looked after."

I snarled, "What the hell makes you think you can walk in here after over two months without a word and think that you have any right whatsoever to talk with Rose."

"Cam."

I gestured to the bed behind me, "Rose has lost her husband, I've lost my best friend, the kids and I have been here every day since the accident. Where have you been?" I started thundering.

"Cameron," the voice said again.

I kept going. "I know why you're here; you've lost your job, your parents are tired of your skank ass in their spare bedroom, your daughters won't talk to you, so you thought that you would manipulate Rose to trying to live off her until she tires of your bullshit."

"Cameron!" Roses' voice said a third-time insistent. I whirled on Rose, angry at being interrupted into the adoring face of my best friend, instantly my anger melted.

"Sorry," I muttered.

"It's alright," Rose returned; she turned her head to glare directly at Louise.

"Louise, you need to leave, with how you have treated Cameron, let alone the little tantrum you just had. It shows that you are not my friend, and don't you dare use Toby's death as a crutch to blame Cameron. You have become a vile, disgusting creature, I am ashamed to have called you my friend, let alone confide in you over the years."

Louse started to object, Rose held up her stump.

"Save it, Louise, you will not be able to stay at my place. I am no longer your friend, you are not welcome here. Do I need to call security to have you escorted out?" Rose asked of my very soon to be ex-wife.

"Rose," Louise pleaded. "That's not fair. No one is liste..."

"No Louise," Rose interrupted, anger rising in her voice. "What's not fair is that my husband is dead, and I am maimed for life because you chose to fuck over your husband who is one of my closest friends..."

The room went quiet, the only sounds came from out in the hall. No one said anything, then the scowl that I had come to associate with Louise's denial of everyone around her and life in general appeared on her face. She looked from Rose to me, back to Rose, back to me and then finally back to Rose one last time. Each time her gaze shifted, a range of emotions ran across her face. But the scowl remained. As she looked at Rose that last time, venom was unleased.

"Well fuck you then, Rose, I see how it is, your husband's body isn't even cold in the grave, and you're fucking my husband. You hypocritical cunt!" she seethed. "Well, you can shove any help I was going to give you up to your ass and..."

She didn't finish as I grabbed Louise under the arm dragging her out of the room. I turned down the corridor towards the closest outside access, slamming fire doors open again dragging Louise along with me. Fortunately, they were not alarmed doors. Louise was sputtering and cursing all the way, still yelling back towards Rose's hospital room. I knew security wouldn't be far away.

I turned towards my wayward wife.

"Louise, I don't know what the hell is wrong with you, I don't know what flipped your switched from a loving wife and caring friend to bitch from hell, but it stops RIGHT NOW!" I said forcefully at her. Louise, thank goodness, shut up shrinking back.

"Cameron." She said.

"No, Louise, you are done."

"You've broken every relationship around you, from your daughters to your friends to me. No one, and I do mean no one wants you within a hundred meters of us. You've become a narcissistic bitch who appears to care nothing for anyone around you."

The doors opened, two big security guards walked out; they noticed Louise and I.

"You alright there, Mr Other?" Peter asked the bigger of the two security guards.

I dismissed him with a wave, "Fine Peter, Louise here just got a little emotional and upset at seeing Rose laid up in a hospital bed. However, she was just leaving, weren't you Louise?" I glared at her.

Security wasn't fooled by my words, ready to take Louise down. Instead, she looked at me, then the guards shrugging.

"Sure, I'll see you later Cameron." She said.

I shook my head, "I hope not."

The three of us watched as Louise walked away. Then, they escorted me back inside Rose's room, where Camilla and Rose whispered. After seeing that Rose was alright, security left, the cleaners came in to clean up the mess from the present, then twenty minutes later, Camillia also headed out, giving me a massive hug.

"Thank you, Cameron, now you look after her, she needs you," Camilla whispered to me as she hugged me leaving to catch her lift home.

"Are you okay?" I asked Rose sitting down on her bed, now just the two of us. I grabbed her right hand, holding it.

She snorted, "Isn't that what I'm supposed to be asking you?"

I shrugged. "It's been a strange day, but just now with Louise, I felt, I don't know, settled. But, no, I guess it started with that dream last night."

Rose's head jerked to look at me, "Dream?"

I nodded, "Yeah, I couldn't sleep last night when I got home," I blushed, I think she realised our kiss was partly responsible. "Anyway, I couldn't sleep, I tossed and turned, but when I did sleep, I had a dream about Toby in a pub."

Rose nodded, almost as she understood.

"It was strange. It was like I knew it was a dream and it was a big pub, there were other people there, but it was like..."

"They were out of focus." Rose finished for me. Her eyes searching mine, I think my surprise showed.

"Yeah, they were out of focus, well, except for Toby and some other guy. I can't recall the other guy, but Toby was crystal clear, we talked. He told me things that would happen today to know it was more than a dream, Camilla's shoes, the sandwiches, Louise turning up. Toby said they would all happen."

I looked back at Rose, her eyes told me she believed me.

"There was one more, wasn't there?" she asked timidly.

I nodded; how did she know? I looked at her, a tear escaped her eye, and she squeezed my hand. I didn't want to ask the question, both fearing and hoping what it meant.

"Love Cameron for all your days," Rose said quietly but intently, looking into my eyes. I drew in a breath.

"Rose...?" I asked.

She nodded, another tear joining the first as it made its way slowly down her cheek.

"Those were the last words that Toby said to me before we both passed out in the car wreck. They were the last words that he spoke to me in this life."

My tears joined hers, "How did you know?" I croaked out.

Quietly, almost as a whisper. "Toby and the pub, when you told me I knew. He also met me there, telling me how brave I was but that I would need to let go and love you like I always have. He told me that you would be unable to ask the question when it was time but that I should tell you our final words."

With that, we broke down in each other's arms, I wrapped myself around Rose in the fading light of the afternoon, and we cried. As we cried, we spoke softly of the man we knew, the friend, the lover, the husband and the father. We mourned together our joint loss, bonding together further in our shared grief. As the evening came, the noises of the hospital continued around us, Rose made space for me on the small hospital bed, and we continued to hold each other as best we could, both of us suddenly tired. Finally, as we fell asleep, I kissed her head, whispering.

"I love you Petal."

In response, Rose sniffed slightly, responding with, "I love you too Cam."

[:::: - 10 - ::::]

After that day, things got progressively easier for us. The kids, Sara, Carrie and Robbie, found us the following day snuggled together on the bed under a hospital blanket that a nurse must have thrown over us during the night. Sara clapped when we woke up, all of them standing and looking at us sleep. I kissed Rose gently on the lips as I got up, stretching. Carrie smiled and kissed Robbie.

We spent the morning explaining most of yesterday with Louise, leaving out the part about the dream with Toby. Later that week, everyone agreed that Rose would not move home when released but move in with Sara and I. Our new place was closer to the hospital, we agreed that Carrie and Robbie would stay at Roses's place; they would rent out the other two rooms to other university students, with mine and Rose's approval, of course.

By the time Rose was released, she was out of the formal casts, now using some hard fabric casts that could be removed as required so she could continue to heal. We all got a good look at the stump where her left forearm used to be, it was growing healthy skin around it, and while sad, for the most part, Rose was accepting of her disability. In addition, the skull fracture that Rose had was healed. Fortunately, there were no lingering effects other than a slight concussion they managed in the hospital.

Getting her home was one of the happiest days we all had in years. Honestly, I was also a little randy with my new girlfriend coming to live with me. Since that night in hospital, Rose and I had progressed from kissing up to a little light petting. I was worried to go any further, scared of hurting her. But, having seen the blooming relationship between us and having heard our history, her doctors told Rose that she could resume a full relationship once she was home, albeit carefully for the first few months.

The kids had already moved a lot of Rose's clothes and personal belongings over to the new house then had even been presumptuous placing them in the master bedroom with mine instead of the spare room like we discussed. But honestly, I didn't mind the cheekiness of the move.

When we got home, we spent a few hours with the kids talking, but after dinner, Carrie and Robbie headed off back to Rose's old place, Sara made excuses heading down the road to a friend's place for a few hours, leaving Rose and I alone for the first time all day.

"Cameron?"

"Yes, my Petal?" I replied using my pet name for her.

"I know we need to take our time, but I haven't had any release in months. Would you be able to help me to the bedroom and give me a hand?" she said with a grin.

"Of course, my love." I smiled immediately, helping her up. We made our way to the bedroom with a crutch under one arm, myself supporting her under her left arm. I gently helped her to the bed, unstrapping one leg brace, then the other. I helped her out of her shirt and bra, then out of the shorts and lastly, her panties.