OFM 01 - Orchard Falls

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Michelle, are you safe here?" He was worried about her.

"Yes. But you will be walking me to my door, won't you?" She was scared. But scared of what? Or should he say who?

"Of course, what kind of a gentleman would I be if I didn't?" He got out of the car and walked around to her side. He opened her door and helped her out. She stumbled as she stepped up on the curb.

Chapter 4

"Oh, my leg seems to have fallen asleep." She said rubbing her outer thigh as they walked up to the door of the building. As they approached the door she was digging in her purse for keys when Don saw movement in the shadows of the interior. He put his arm out to stop her. The shadow stopped. He took his keys and pressed the button on the small LED flashlight there. There was a man, young, maybe twenty. He had a knife in his hand. He started forward as if to come out of the building after them. As he came, Don pushed Michelle back as they retreated back toward the car.

As they reached the car the man stepped out of the building, still coming toward them. Opening the door Don pushed Michelle inside and locked the car. Now that she was safe he could turn all his attention to the predator. As he came toward Don, brandishing his knife, he was smiling. As he came into striking distance Don stepped into him, knocking his knife hand wide, and punched him in the face with his elbow. The predator went down spitting teeth. Blood was gushing from his nose and mouth as he got to his feet. He wasn't smiling anymore.

"Whadidchaya do that for man? I just wanted your cash and the girl." He lunged at Don again swinging his blade. This time Don sidestepped him and smashed his elbow into the back of his head. His face hit the sidewalk hard as he went down. Don stepped on the back of his neck, reached down and took the knife away from him. Keeping the pressure on his neck, Don pocketed the knife and pulled his cell phone out. He dialed 911. When they finally answered Don told them what had happened and hung up.

Turning to Michelle, Don saw her trying to get out of the car. He let her out. She knelt down next to the predator hitting his leg. He took his foot off the back of his neck. Michelle rolled him over. His eyes flickered open. Don bent down over Michelle.

"If you even think about hurting this lady, I will smash your face so bad your own mother wouldn't recognize you. Got it?" The man nodded wincing at the pain it caused.

"Don, did you have to hurt him so badly?"

"He was after you the only thing he wanted from me was money."

"Oh." She continued to assess his trauma. The police showed up about two minutes later.

"Hey, Don long time no see."

"Hey, Bill. I got one for you here." Bill was a long time friend and neighbor.

"We heard. Did he give you any trouble?"

"No, he came along like sheep to a slaughter."

"Don!" Michelle admonished him.

"Sorry, Michelle."

"Doctor Wilfinger, are you alright?" It would appear Bill also knew Michelle.

"Yes, Bill, I'm just fine. But your sheep here isn't."

"Well you were lucky Don was here with you. And it's about..." Don poked Bill in the ribs. He turned to Don and glared. Don pointed to the perp.

"Well, if it isn't little Jimmy Morgan. Hey Jimmy, did you run into the wrong guy tonight?" Bill was laughing as he bent down and put the cuffs on Jimmy.

"You know this man?" Michelle asked Bill.

"Yep, I know him. We suspected he was the one terrorizing the women around here, we just couldn't prove it. Until now that is. Come on Jimmy time to go see the judge."

"You will do no such thing, Bill. I want you to take him over to the hospital first. Do you hear me?" Michelle stood there with her hands on her hips glaring at Bill.

"Of course Doctor if that's what you really want me to do."

"It is. Now go." Bill smiled at her and dragging Jimmy to his feet hauled him off to his squad car. Then off to the hospital.

"Isn't anyone going to take our statements?" Michelle looked around.

"I will stop in tomorrow and give them my statement. I will also tell them that you were asleep in the car and didn't see anything."

"Why?"

"Because Jimmy Morgan has several brothers, brother's who are just as crazy as him if you get my meaning?"

"I don't understand." She shook her head at him.

"Let's go inside and I'll explain it to you." He took her keys from her and they went into the lobby. She found the switch and flipped the lights on. They took the stairs to the second floor and walked down a long hallway toward the back of the building. She waited for him in front of a door marked two-thirteen.

"Lucky number," He stated as he inserted the key and turned. The door opened easily and he stepped inside first reaching over and flicking on the lights. "All clear," he said stepping aside to let Michelle enter.

"What were you expecting?" She looked at him strangely as she went to a closet to hang up her wrap and place her purse on a table next to the closet.

"You never know. Now let me explain why you didn't see anything tonight."

"Can we sit first?"

"Of course, sit." He sat next to her on a comfortable sofa. It was old but in good condition. Maybe a hand me down from her parents. She moved so she was next to him and snuggled up holding his arm. "Michelle, I do not want you in harm's way. If you were to testify against Jimmy you would be in harm's way. As it is I will testify that you came to Jimmy's aid after I had beaten the crap out of him."

"Then won't you be in harm's way?" she asked. He took her hand in his, looked deep into her wonderful eyes and shook his head no. "And why not?"

"I can take care of myself. And the Morgan's know better than to mess with me."

"Why? You know I don't think I know anything about you." She squeezed his hand.

"What would like to know?"

"Everything!"

"Michelle, I will be happy to tell you whatever you want to know, but it will have to be some other time. You're sitting here keeping your eyes open through sheer force of will. And I have to get back to the party to talk to George and get other people home. The designated driver you know."

"Okay, when?"

"Are you free Friday?"

"If I'm not I will be."

"That's the spirit. Make time for yourself." He smiled as he rose. Michelle rose with him hooked her arm in his and walked him to the door. She turned him toward her and on her tiptoes, pressed her lips to his. Her arms encircled his neck as he wrapped his around her delicate body. This was not a gentle kiss as before. There was passion behind her kiss this time. A passion he wanted to stay and taste, but other duties pulled him away from this lovely creature. But right this minute he was consumed by her passion and fire that generated an all-consuming heat in her body.

Don pulled away from her holding her by her shoulders and looking deep into her eyes.

"I'm sorry, really I am. But I have to go." He turned, opened the door and left before she could try and talk him out of leaving.

"Friday then, what time?"

"Seven. I'll pick you up." He stopped three steps from her door. Turning he looked at this vision of beauty. "What time do I need to pick you up tomorrow to get your car?"

"I can walk to the hospital tomorrow. Why don't you pick me up at six o'clock at the hospital?"

"I'll be there." He turned and quickly walked down the hallway. He knew if he looked back again he wouldn't be leaving. He wanted to turn back with every step he took. Even when he was in the car with the engine running he still thought about going back. He put the car in gear and quickly drove back to the party.

Chapter 5

As he entered the ballroom he saw George sitting with a pretty blond. She was smiling at him and listening to him attentively. The group he had been talking too had split up and was spread around the room talking with different guests. It looked like the party was going to be a success. Don's firm hosted one of these parties annually. It was his way of saying thank you to the community. Anyone and everyone was invited to stop by, say hello, have a few drinks, partake of the food and dance the night away. All the employees who lived in Orchard Falls were expected to come and mingle with the guests. They were encouraged to bring their spouses and have a good time.

Don came up behind the blond George was talking too. There was a charming raven-haired beauty standing next to him that Don hadn't noticed. She was startled by his arrival.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you."

"That's ok," she said putting her hand to her throat.

"Don!" George exclaimed rather loudly. "Have a seat, Samantha, you too." Don pulled out a chair and helped Samantha into her seat. He took the seat next to her.

"How rude of me, Jennifer, Samantha may I introduce you to Don Steel. Don, this is Jennifer and Samantha."

"Please to meet you ladies. I hope you are enjoying yourselves?"

"I am," said Jennifer. She was still staring starry-eyed at George.

"And how about you Sam, may I call you Sam?" He asked her.

"You may. I always enjoy myself or at least try too, when I'm out for a night on the town so to speak." She smiled at him, just a friendly smile, no meaning behind it that he could discern.

"May I get you, ladies, a drink?"

"I will have a rum and coke," Sam said.

"I'll have the same," said Jennifer.

"I'll have..."

"You've had enough George you'll get a club soda." Don rose and headed off to the bar. He told the bartender what he wanted and stood looking around the room. Everyone appeared to be having a good time. He then looked back at George and the ladies. George was oblivious to how enthralled Jennifer was with him. Sam looked bored now that she was left with those two. The bartender put the drinks down in front of him and left. Picking them up, Don returned to the table.

"Here's a rum and coke for you Jennifer and for you Sam, a club soda for George and for me." Sam was smiling again as he returned. Jennifer had never stopped.

"What's with him," she said leaning in to whisper in his ear.

"What do you mean?" Don whispered back.

"He has been sitting there moaning about some woman mistreating him and Jennifer is just eating it up. Why I haven't a clue." She looked thoroughly disgusted with her friend. "Can we go sit at another table where we can be away from them?"

"Sure why not." He picked up both their drinks and stood up. "George we'll talk later." He led Sam to another table, set the drinks down and held her chair for her.

"Such a gentleman."

"Thanks. I'll be right back," he said to her as he went over to the bar. He told the bartender that George was to have no more alcohol. He nodded as Don point him out. He returned to Sam at their table.

"Well what did you want to talk about, young lady?" he asked smiling at her. She was young and very pretty. No comparison to Michelle but he wasn't quite the cad George was.

"Nothing really, just so I didn't have to listen to George anymore. That man just doesn't know when to shut up. He kept going on and on about some woman who left with one of his friends and how he has worshiped the ground she walked on without so much as a howdy-do. And how she had the audacity to go off with someone she had just been introduced too." She was shaking her head. She also had this touch of a southern accent that made her speech that much more enjoyable.

"Really? Did he happen to mention who the man was?"

"No, but that doesn't surprise me. I think he was just trying to gain some sympathy from us. But I wasn't going to fall for any of that. Jennifer, on the other hand, is a pure sucker for men like that. She would believe anything a guy told her about the things that have happened to him. I declare, she is one little twit." Sam took her drink and sipped it gingerly. "Do you happen to know the man he was talking about?"

"I do," Don said pausing to look her in the eye. "And it didn't happen the way he was telling the story."

"Well, who is it? I just love a little gossip among friends." She twittered into her hand at her own words. He took her hand in his stroking her delicate fingers mulling over whether he should tell her or not.

"It was me. The woman in question wasn't feeling well so I drove the lady home. And made sure she was safely inside her home before I left to return here. Anything else you would like to know?"

"Oh my, I guess I put my foot in it that time." Again she twittered into her hand. "Was it true you had just been introduced to this lady?"

"Yes. We had a couple of dances, some drinks and we talked to each other, sort of like what we are doing now. If you wish to dance, I will be happy to be your partner. If you would like to talk at length about any other subject besides the young lady in question, I will be happy to oblige you. Has that cleared any misunderstanding up for you Sam?" He was getting a little testy and maybe it was showing in his body language.

"My word, I am sorry if I have offended you in any way, Don. I was just trying to make conversation and what better subject than the goings on between people."

"No, I'm sorry. If you would like to continue I apologize. I will tell you everything if that's what you really want to hear?"

"Why no, of course, I don't want to hear all the intimate details of a tryst you may or may not have had with a young lady I don't know and you have just met. Why would I want to hear about that?" It was a rhetorical question. He knew it. He took a sip of his club soda and just stared into Sam's eyes, green, a deep emerald green. She smiled at him as he kept eye contact with her. She then burst out laughing. He just shook his head. "I am sorry, Don, really I am. I'm not laughing at you but at myself for being so, so forward." She was still chuckling to herself.

"I know and I was just pushing to see how far you would take things. How are you doing Sam?"

"I'm just fine Don. How's business?" The southern accent was gone. Sam and He have been longtime acquaintances. She came to the parties every year just to put in an appearance. She actually lived next door to him. Jennifer, he had never met.

"Who is Jennifer?"

"She's one of the new girls at the hospital in the HR department. She's McAllister's daughter." She took a sip of her drink. "Big socialite and everything, has never done a day's work. So her daddy pawned her off on the hospital. I've heard she messed up already. But they can't fire her."

"Why the hospital, why not at his firm where she couldn't put anyone in danger, I don't understand that man sometimes." Don shook his head. "Maybe I'll steal her away from the hospital to work with George." Sam twittered again at that.

"That would be a hoot."

Chapter 6

"So what are you doing now Sam?" He took her hand again.

"I'm working for the Orchard Falls Gazette," she said proudly.

"Good for you. What are you doing there?"

"I write a gossip column," she said softly looking down at their hands as he entwined his fingers with hers.

"I suppose I'll be in it tomorrow?"

"No, no I wouldn't do that to you, Don. At least, not until you tell me the name of the young lady that you escorted home tonight." She was smiling at him, a wicked smile.

"Well, that little tidbit will not be forthcoming from me. And if you even try to get it out of anyone else here tonight I will take you over my knee and spank that cute little ass of yours." He raised his eyebrows as he looks into her eyes.

"Promises, promises," she retorted. "When are you going to invite me over for another swim?"

"We never even were close to the swimming pool."

"I know, that's what made it so much fun." She squeezed his hand at the remembrance of their little tryst that long summer day last year.

"It was fun. But..."

"I know, I know you have responsibilities and duties and all that muck that comes with running, almost running, a business. When are you going to give up the sham?" She gently pulled her hand away from his.

"I'm sorry Sam. I...I just..." He couldn't go on. He had just committed himself to a woman he hardly knew and there was one he did know and liked an awful lot.

"What Don? What? Did you fall for that young lady that was here earlier tonight? Oh my god you did! Now I have to know her name."

"Shush Sam. I'm embarrassed enough as it is." Now he was the one turning red.

"Don if it's news then you will have to put up with it." She smiled at him as she took his hand in hers.

"It's not news. My social life is not news." Don looked around to see if anyone had heard his hoarse whisper.

"Of course it is, the owner of the biggest IT firm in the central plains, my word that would be news if you were hooking up with some bimbo new to town."

"First, she's not a bimbo. Second, it's nobody's business but mine. Third, you butt out Samantha J. Brown or I'll tell everyone in town what the J stands for," he again whispered hoarsely at her.

"You wouldn't? You would! Don Steel I...I...am beside myself with rage." She pulled her hand away and folded her arms pushing back in her chair and frowning at him.

"I won't if you won't!" He looked her square in the eye. She shook her head pouting all the while. Seconds passed as she thought it over.

"Deal!" She put out her hand and we shook.

"Deal!" he said giving her hand a squeeze.

"Now, what's with George?"

"I don't really know except for what Mi...the lady told me. The rest I'll have to find out from George when he's ready to talk to me about it."

"And what did Mi...the lady tell you?" He looked at her sternly. Was she mocking him or did she know who he was talking about?

"The, lady, told me that George had professed his undying love for her and followed her around whenever they were at the same function and such. No stalking going on, just worship from afar."

"Ah, love unrequited. That will drive a man crazy you know?"

"Yes I know," he sighed as the memories came flooding back into his mind, "Enough about that."

"I'm sorry Don, I shouldn't have pressed you. You are a good friend not only to me but to everyone in this town. Well, I should be getting along I have a column to write for tomorrows late edition." She rose, Don stood with her. She leaned in and kissed him on the cheek.

"Don't be a stranger, my door is always open for you," she whispered in his ear.

"I appreciate that Sam. You are a good friend." He hugged her and sat back down as she walked over and tapped Jennifer on the shoulder. They exchanged words and Sam walked away. Jennifer shot out of her chair, kissed George quickly on the lips and hurried after Sam. George sat there speechless looking after her. Once she was out the door he turned back to his drink and sat there staring at it.

Don got up and went to the bar telling the bartender to bring two coffee's over to George's table with all the fixings. He then went and sat across from George. George didn't even notice that he was there until the bartender set the tray down with the coffee service. He looked up at the bartender who pointed at Don. George's head swiveled to look across the table at him.

"George, have some coffee it will make you feel better."

"I don't want coffee." Don took a cup from the tray and poured the coffee. George took it from him and sipped it gingerly.

"Now, George, we should talk about a couple of things. First is Michelle and second is Jennifer. Which would you like to tackle first?"

"I know. Michelle, I guess. I do love her Don. I do." He took another sip of his coffee and stared at Don with puppy dog eyes.

"I believe you, George, I really do. But she has told you she doesn't feel that way about you, hasn't she?"

"Yes. But it hurts right here," he said pointing at his heart.

"I know, I've been there George. You have to move on though, it's not good for you to linger in the past. Move forward. Jennifer would be a good start. She's pretty and I think she likes you. But you can't keep moaning about Michelle to her or she will get tired of hearing about the other woman and move on."