Order of the Shattered Cross: Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nora lit the brazier closest to the sound of choking, but only saw Helena on the ground, gripping her neck as blood spurted through her fingers. Katherine ran to help but tripped and slid along the floor. A shadow grabbed her foot and pulled her screaming into the darkness Nora's light couldn't touch. The screams stopped, followed by a sickening crunch and the thud of her head bouncing once on the floor before sliding to a stop next to Helena's now motionless body.

"Why not join me in the darkness Nora?" Gwendoline's voice echoed. "It's not all bad." Nora's brazier began to falter. She focused her energy to strengthen the flame. She knew she was no match for Gwendoline in darkness. "Just let that fire go out."

"Priestess, you must leave," Selene said as her own brazier was beginning to falter. The darkness was encroaching like a living beast, pushing against a shield of light. It was winning. "I can hold her back and trap her here, but you must leave."

"No, we stand our ground," Nora replied defiantly.

"There is no ground to stand on," Selene retorted. "Put your pride away. It would be difficult to fight her on even footing, let alone in her domain."

Nora thought to herself that this was supposed to be their domain.

"Sweet, sweet, granddaughter, join me. Come to the darkness and they live," Gwendoline's voice offered.

"You cannot trust her child," Selene warned.

"You can trust that I'll start with him," Gwendoline said. Timothy's brazier was lit, and Sister Frost gasped. Timothy was on his knees with his shirt torn to threads as if a large animal had mauled him. Several gashes ran across his body in rows of five, one for each of Gwendoline's fingernails. His arms were outstretched as if tied by rope, and she held his head with her nails digging into his scalp. "The way he acted to save you, how chivalrous." She placed her index finger to his throat, Timothy grunting as it drew blood.

"Nora, get her out of here," Timothy groaned. "If she kills me, she kills me."

"I like it when they fight," Gwendoline taunted, and started to run her finger across his neck like a knife.

"Stop!" Sister Frost screamed and stepped forward, but Nora grabbed her arm and pulled her back. "Let me go."

"Let the girl make her own choice," Gwendoline said.

"Coercion is not a choice," Nora replied, and did not let go.

"Of course, it is," Gwendoline replied. She pulled Timothy's back against the brazier. His ability to resist his pain vanished, and he shouted as his skin melted against the burning metal.

Sister Frost pulled against Nora's grip, but she refused. Timothy's torture continued, and Sister Frost grabbed Nora's hand to peel it off her arm.

"Let go!" Sister Frost screamed.

Nora was thrown against the wall like a doll but managed to land on her feet. She was breathless to see the Sister in her truest form. Her gray tunic hung off one shoulder. Black wings with feathers floating to the ground and turning into ash. The seven eyes on both wings saw all things. The halo was nestled between her horns, and it instantly filled the room with angelic light which momentary blinded Gwendoline.

Timothy punched Gwendoline's wrist to push her nails from his scalp and peeled his back from the brazier. He fell to his side and kicked backwards into Gwendoline's chest, knocking her away from him. He crawled toward the center of the room as Gwendoline recovered and leapt toward him. Selene jumped between them and held Gwendoline at the wrist with her attacker's nails two knuckles deep into her ribs.

"There is fight remaining in these old bones," Selene said.

"Let's break them then," Gwendoline said, and twisted her hands to snap her ribs. Selene remained firm, only displaying pain with eye twitches.

Nora ran to the center of the chamber and tried to drag Timothy away but was met with a barrier blocking her retreat. She discovered after several touches it had fully surrounded her and Timothy. Selene looked over her shoulder and gave her Priestess a grin. She had commanded the chamber to protect them.

"Selene!" Nora shouted and pounded on the invisible wall. "Open this now! Your Priestess commands you!"

"You must live, to fight her later," Selene said and faced her doom. "Do your worst you..." and she was torn in half, each side slapping the walls like wet meat.

"No! No, no, no, no!" Nora screamed as she beat the wall with her palms. She slid down the barrier, crying in anger as she glared at Gwendoline. "I will kill you! What you did here I will do to you ten times over!"

"I'm not aware that you can tear my head off ten times," Gwendoline taunted. She touched the barrier and smirked. "Damn. She really was a strong old witch. Shame."

The Black Winged Angel continued to hover at Nora's brazier, and slowly turned to Gwendoline. It blinked at her, and Gwendoline smiled.

"Kill her! You can end this now!" Nora shouted at the Black Winged Angel. She didn't even respond or seem to notice. The same way people can't hear the cries of ants.

"Are you ready to fulfill your purpose?" Gwendoline asked.

In a flash of light, the Black Winged Angel vanished, and was replaced by Sister Frost trembling on her knees. The light of the halo faded away, leaving the only light in the room Nora's brazier. Sister Frost didn't move, so Gwendoline walked around the barrier and helped her to her feet.

"As I said, no further harm will come to them. Come with me child," Gwendoline said. Sister Frost looked at Nora and Timothy. Nora was sunken into herself, crying uncontrollably, and Timothy didn't have the strength to plead with her. The last thing he remembered before losing consciousness was her stepping away from the fire and into the inky darkness that rippled like water as she stepped into it.