Orphan Ch. 21-24

Story Info
Orphaned girl continues her aventures.
4.7k words
4.75
2k
3

Part 6 of the 8 part series

Updated 06/16/2023
Created 05/27/2023
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,363 Followers

And here we have part 6 of this opus. As always, comment and constructive criticism welcomed.

Orphan Ch. 21 to 24

Chapter 21

Reverend Collier was affable and cooperative when they sought to see him next morning.

"The banns will be called these next three Sundays, Miss Harrison, Captain Gilroy. And the wedding? When is your chosen date for that?"

"Given this time of war, we would like to be married as soon as possible, Reverend. At the moment, it is impossible to choose a date, as my ship is away on a rendezvous while I recover from a French musket ball in my back. More pertinent, I await orders from the Navy. It may be that those orders will not arrive before the banns have been called, in which case as soon as possible after the third Sunday." Gilroy gave a rueful smile. "Fortunes of war being what they are the orders will arrive requiring me to sail before that third Sunday."

"Shall I make a tentative date of the, shall we say, Tuesday, following the calling of the banns for the third time? If your orders take you away before that time, we shall arrange another time."

"Roxane? It is not much time. Can you be ready?"

"I can be ready tomorrow, were it possible. Yes, you give me enough time, my dear."

"Very well, Reverend Collier. We shall see you in church on Sunday."

The reverend smiled. "Miss Harrison's face is becoming familiar, for she attends regularly. I look forward to seeing you there, too, Captain."

"Indeed so, Reverend. Your servant, sir."

Back on the street, Roxane took Gilroy's arm. A thought struck her. "Alex, my dear? Will you be married in uniform?"

He smiled. "If that is your wish, my dear, of course."

"It must be your choice. Who stands with you?"

"All being well, Sam James. Who walks you down the aisle?"

"Uncle Silas, of course. Which act I must ask of him, although I suspect he is ready for that moment."

Le Tessier was indeed ready, when she sought him out in his study. "I should be extremely upset had you asked anyone else, dear Roxane. Is there a date set?"

"A tentative date for the Tuesday following the third calling of the banns, Uncle. but it depends on whether Alex receives new orders which may call him away before then."

"Quite so." Le Tessier paused, then went on. "Roxane, may I ask, have you a wedding dress?"

"Not as such, Uncle Silas. I have a smart gown or two which would do. May I enquire, why do you ask?"

He looked away from her for a moment, lost in his thoughts, then turned again to regard her. "I have the dress that Elspeth would have worn for our wedding, had she lived." He grimaced. "Perhaps a little morbid of me; however, I would be very happy to see you wed in that dress, my dear. Time dims memory, but I think you are of a size. If not, I know that Mrs Trevelyan is a more than competent needle-woman."

She stared at him for a long moment, and he shifted uncomfortably, but she gathered her scattered wits. "Uncle Silas, I would be honoured. Deeply honoured."

He gave a quick smile, almost a grimace. "Just as long as you are also comfortable in it."

"I must try it first, then, dear Uncle. And not let Alex see it, for it must be a surprise for him."

Le Tessier laughed. "It must?"

She nodded. "It must. A bride's privilege."

"Very well, my dear. No mention of it will pass my lips whilst in Alex's presence."

"Thank you."

"You must swear Mrs Trevelyan to secrecy as well, possibly Molly also."

"I shall, have no fear."

"Very well, my dear. You must go back to your betrothed, and I must return to my papers. I have asked Mrs Trevelyan to serve me a cold lunch here, so if I do not see you before, I shall see you at dinner."

"Very well, Uncle Silas. Until dinner, then." She bent and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek, and a hug. He squirmed, but as she went out, she was followed by a smile.

She made sure she was wearing her most modest nightdress when she checked Gilroy's bandages that evening. The wound was still healing nicely.

"I think we might risk leaving it off, my love," she said. Gilroy, modesty retained by blankets to his waist, smiled.

"I think I would welcome the freedom. May I beg a favour, Roxane?"

"That might depend on what it is you want."

He laughed. "Both simple and innocent, my dear. Would you bathe it again, please?"

"Of course. A moment, while I fetch the warm water from my room."

She enjoyed the intimate task, taking her time, enjoying touching him. Finished, she dried him carefully, then stood back.

"Done, my love."

"Thank you, dear Roxane. Come sit by me a moment, if you would?"

"Of course." She sat on the bed as he moved across to make room for her. "Was it anything in particular, or just a subterfuge to kiss me?"

"Do I need a subterfuge to kiss you?"

She laughed. "Of course not." She leaned into his kiss, warm, a promise. "But I sense a purpose other than a kiss."

"You know me too well already, Roxane, and we have only been betrothed for a day! It's true, there was a purpose."

"May I enquire as to what?"

"Tomorrow, I would like to go down to the harbour. Remember, I am a sailor, the sea is in my blood. In any event, I wish to enquire at the packet office as to the journey time for the round trip. Of course that presupposes there are no French warships in these waters, else the journey will be longer."

"Do you fear a French ship intercepting the packet?"

Gilroy smiled. "They would need to be fleet, for I think only the Pelican has the better of the packets in speed."

"Surely it is too early to expect a reply to your report?"

"Indeed it is, for the report must first be transported to London, then someone must read it, a reply must be drafted, and then sent back to me. I do not anticipate a reply before at least a week has passed, perhaps longer. No, it's just that I want to smell salt air and see some ships."

She laughed. "I think that might be possible. The gig?"

"I'd like to walk. A bare mile, I understand?"

"About that, yes." She frowned. "Your wound is healing well, but have you the strength?"

"I think I have, yes."

"If we take it slowly, then I should think you will suffer no harm, save perhaps a little tiredness."

"I shall take a stout stick, and I shall lean on you."

"Not too heavily, I trust," she said, laughing.

He squeezed her fingers. "Of course not. And then only on our return journey." He smiled. "After breakfast, then, Roxane. For now? Well, for now, I seek my goodnight kiss."

She leaned forward, trying not to seem too eager. "And you shall have it, in exchange for my own."

* * * * *

Chapter 22

Next day dawned fair, and Roxane reflected that the weather had remained fair ever since she had met Gilroy. Less than a month had passed, and now she was betrothed to him. Yes, and eager to share the marriage bed with him, she acknowledged to herself, for she felt no maidenly reluctance, only an excited curiosity, a longing for that most intimate of touches.

Le Tessier declined the invitation to accompany them, with a smile. "No, my dear. You and Alex do not need me with you. But promise me, Alex, if you tire, you will send someone, a boy, perhaps, to the house, and I will send Andrew with the gig."

"My word on it, Silas, although I do not anticipate the need."

"Perhaps not, but the offer stands."

"And I thank you for it. Roxane? Are you ready?"

"I need only my bonnet, I think." Her smile teased. "Do I need my pistol?"

Gilroy laughed. "Not today, my love, not today."

"Splendid, for it is too warm a day to wear my cloak."

"You are ready?"

"I am, once I don my bonnet."

"Very well, shall we proceed?"

"A moment?" said Le Tessier. "If the notion to take lunch at one of the taverns in town takes you, may I recommend the King's Musketeer? They serve a very tasty porter." He smiled. "If you are not home at the usual time for lunch here, then we shall expect you for dinner."

The walk was pleasant, a stroll on a fine day. Roxane linked her arm in Gilroy's and they ambled along contentedly, chatting generally on everything, and nothing. The mile walk was soon behind them, and as they entered the town Gilroy gestured towards a bench.

"Shall we sit for a moment, Roxane?"

Concern hit her. "You are fatigued, my love?"

He laughed. "Nay, Roxane, I thought only to rest a moment or two before proceeding. I find myself quite well, for as you feared, so did I, but no, I feel no fatigue."

"Splendid. Very well, my love, let us rest."

The bench had an open view of the harbour and its approaches, and Gilroy scanned the horizon, an almost automatic reaction for a sailor. His attention back on Roxane, he was disconcerted to see her stifling a laugh.

He gave her a quizzical look. "May I ask what so amuses you, Roxane?"

"You do, my love. One sight of the sea, and you are scanning the far horizon. Be honest, dear one. You seek the Pelican?"

Gilroy laughed. "I do, although I do not expect to see her for at least another three or four days."

"Aye, and need those days before you are fit enough to resume command."

"A telling point, my dear. I am rested enough, so let us carry on to the packet office."

Where they determined that, given fair winds, the packet did the round trip in four days, but that a week was allowed, 'for contingencies.'

Back outside again, Roxane took Gilroy's arm. "What now, my dear?"

"Now? Now, I think, we shall stroll gently back and partake of some of Mrs Trevelyan's tea. The packet's return will be too soon for any answer from my lords and masters, I fear. I think we may relax a little longer, and share a few more kisses before I rejoin my ship."

"Perhaps I should pray for bad weather until after our wedding day."

Gilroy laughed. "Think of the poor sailors, my love. Do not wish ill weather on them."

She smiled at him. "Of course not. I was just being selfish, wanting you for myself."

They were half-way back to Le Tessier's, at a point where the lane curved away and sight of the sea would be lost to them, when Gilroy drew Roxane to a halt and looked back. He tensed.

"What is it?" said Roxane, alarmed. "Does your wound hurt you?"

"No, no, 'tis not that. Look, Roxane, look there! What do you see?"

She looked where he was pointing. "I see noth - Alex! I see a sail! Could it be the Pelican?"

"She is too far off to be sure, and I think I need to get myself back to your uncle's home, for I feel the need for some rest. If it is the Pelican, and it might well be, then Mr James knows where I am and can send a message. Aye, or come himself."

Roxane was instant concern. "You have tired yourself? Oh, Alex, why did you not say? Will you wait here while I fetch the gig? Or will - " She broke off at the gentle shake of his head.

"Roxane, my love, I am just a little tired. Our pace has not been such that I have over-exerted myself, just that I am not quite so recovered as I thought I was."

"Truth? You are not just saying that to allay my concerns?"

"I swear!"

"Well, lean on me, my love. 'Tis but a half-mile or so we must travel."

"Very well, my dear. Let us continue." But they had scarcely gone a dozen paces when they heard hoof-beats and the rumble of wheels.

"It's Doctor Angus!" said Roxane. It was indeed the doctor, and at sight of them he reined in his horse, his gig coming to a standstill beside them.

"Miss Harrison, Captain Gilroy. I bid you good day. A fine chance, meeting like this, for I was on my way to Mr Le Tessier's house to see how you fared, Captain, and I find you taking a stroll." The Doctor frowned. "I trust you are not exceeding your strength, Captain?"

"Perhaps I am not quite as recovered as I thought, Doctor, but I am tired rather than distressed."

"Capital! But let me offer you a ride for the remaining distance."

"Thank you, Doctor Angus. Roxane, let me assist you."

A few minutes later and they arrived at the house. The three got down and Roxane led the way indoors. Le Tessier came out of his study to greet them.

"Alistair! I had not looked to see you for some days yet."

"I found myself with some free time, so I thought I'd see how Captain Gilroy was doing. I think the fact that he was out for a walk suggests to me that Miss Harrison's ministrations have been successful."

"I hope they have, Doctor, but you must satisfy yourself. I shall ask Mrs Trevelyan to make some tea for us."

"Silas? May I borrow your study for a moment to examine the Captain? I see no reason to make him ascend the staircase unnecessarily."

"Of course, Alistair. I'll just move my papers first. I was checking my accounts when you arrived."

Roxane left them to it and sought out Mrs Trevelyan, but that worthy already had the preparation of tea under way. She smiled at Roxane.

"Did Captain Gilroy enjoy his walk?"

"He did, Mrs Trevelyan, but I fear he discovered he is not so recovered as he thought."

"Oh, for shame. He has not exhausted himself?"

"No, no. Not so, but I think that he was grateful that Doctor Angus came by, for we finished the journey in the doctor's gig."

"Probably as well. The captain will perhaps rest a little more, now."

Roxane laughed. "We shall hope so."

"Get you back to the parlour, and I'll bring the tea along."

* * * * *

Chapter 23

Le Tessier was alone in the parlour and smiled to see her.

"Mrs Trevelyan will bring the tea in a moment, Uncle."

"Sit down, my dear. I do not think Doctor Angus will take too long. Your patient seems well, thanks to your ministrations, no doubt."

"Or his own natural resilience, perhaps."

"Perhaps. Excuse my saying so, my dear, but you seem to have something on your mind. Is it something I may assist you with?"

She shook her head. "No, Uncle Silas. If it is what I fear it is, it is beyond our control. When we were walking back here, Alex paused at that point in the lane just before a view of the sea becomes impossible. We saw a sail, far out."

"Ah. The Pelican, perhaps?"

"Perhaps."

"And you fear that Alex will be required to sail before the date set for your wedding?"

Roxane nodded, and gave her uncle a wry smile. "Quite so." She grimaced. "Who knows then when, or even if, we shall marry?"

Le Tessier regarded her in silence for a long moment, then stood. "Walk with me in the garden a moment or two, Roxane? What I have to say, I want heard by your ears alone."

Surprised, Roxane sat for a moment, but rallied her scattered wits and stood. She took her uncle's arm. "Very well, Uncle Silas. Let us walk in the garden."

Le Tessier led her out and away from the house. There was a bench in a shady corner, with an open view, so that he would see anyone coming. He ushered Roxane towards it, bade her sit, and then sat beside her.

"Roxane, my dear, what I am about to tell you was known to only two people. Myself, and my dear Elspeth. Roxane, when she died, Elspeth was pregnant with my child." Le Tessier's eyes were focussed on something years in the past for a moment. "We were in love, our wedding was planned, and I fear our urgent needs became too much for us."

"Uncle Silas, I know not what to say, except that I wish with all my heart that they had lived." She took Le Tessier's hand in both of hers, trying not to let the tears she felt brimming in her eyes fall.

Le Tessier squeezed her fingers. "As do I, my dear. As do I. But that was not all I wished to say."

"It wasn't?"

"Indeed not. Roxane, I asked you to make a promise to me, remember? That you do not embarrass me in my own home?"

Roxane flushed. "I remember."

"I won't ask you how close you have been to breaking that promise, but I hereby release you from it. If it becomes necessary for you and Alex to make a physical declaration of your love, then I feel I cannot in all conscience deny you, knowing within me that that was exactly what Elspeth and I had done." He moved uncomfortably, his face a little flushed, and Roxane squeezed his fingers, bending forward to kiss his cheek.

"Uncle Silas, you honour me with this confidence, and I give you my word that only you and I will ever know. As for Alex and me, well, let me say that our attraction to each other is very strong. Whether we shall give in to that attraction, I do not know. If we do, I shall endeavour to ensure that no-one discovers us." And I do want to give in to it, if Alex must go before our wedding date, she admitted to herself, feeling her nipples tighten at the thought.

"Thank you, my dear. For now, shall we rejoin Alex and Doctor Angus? Ere they drink all of the tea?"

She laughed. "Best we hurry, then!"

Gilroy and the doctor were indeed drinking tea when Roxane and Le Tessier returned.

"Silas! We did not know where you were, so we helped ourselves," said Angus.

"As indeed you should. I was merely taking a turn around the garden with my niece, not knowing how long you would be."

"Quite so." Angus turned to Roxane. "Miss Harrison? My felicitations. You are a more than acceptable nurse. Captain Gilroy heals well, and if you can persuade him not to take too much exercise for a few days, will continue that healing. I feel no need to pay a return visit to see the captain, unless you find that his wound deteriorates. Given your care so far, I feel that to be a slim chance." He fixed her with a glare. "Call me at once if he deteriorates."

"I will, of course, Doctor Angus. Thank you."

"No, Miss Harrison, thank you. And now, I shall take my leave. Silas, my thanks for the tea. Excellent, as always. Captain? Miss Harrison? Your servant."

"I'll see you out, Alistair," said Le Tessier.

Left alone, Gilroy took Roxane's hand, squeezing her fingers. "I feel that the good doctor was much impressed with your care, my love."

"As long as you also feel that way, I am content."

"I do! Know it!"

"Such vehemence, Alex!"

He laughed. "Roxane, my sweet love. I may very well owe my life to you."

"That is as may be, but I in turn may owe mine to you."

"Well, we must care for each other." He smiled. "Whilst you and Silas were walking, Mrs Trevelyan advised us that lunch would be served soon, at one, as usual."

"Good! For I am hungry after our walk."

The rest of the day passed in simple domesticity. Gilroy excused himself and went to rest in his room, while Roxane continued reading. At dinner that evening, the conversation was general, for no-one wanted to bring up the topic of Gilroy's possible need to go back to sea before the tentative wedding date. And no-one seemed to want to linger in the parlour after dinner.

"I confess that I feel the need for an early night," said Gilroy. "I think perhaps I tired myself more than I expected today."

"Do you want me to check your wound?" said Roxane. "No bandages to change, so it will take but a moment."

"If you would, my dear."

"I think that I shall have an early night as well," said Roxane, avoiding her uncle's eye, aware that she would blush if she caught his look.

"Very well," said Le Tessier, and Roxane realised he was avoiding her eye also. "I shall see the two of you at breakfast." He smiled. "Sleep well, my dear."

* * * * *

Chapter 24

The moment that Roxane was dreading began with the arrival of Sam James in a rented gig at ten next morning, a morning after an almost sleepless night which she spent asking herself over and over again why she hadn't consented to Gilroy's unspoken invitation to join him in his bed.

Gilroy's lieutenant was solemn as he greeted Gilroy.

"Sir, you look much improved. Miss Harrison, a great pleasure to see you again."

"Thank you, Mr James."

Gilroy smiled. "It would seem the sail we saw was indeed the Pelican, Roxane."

"So it would."

Alex De Kok
Alex De Kok
1,363 Followers
12