Other People's Problems

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Buy me out? Fuck you. Are you forgetting who got us on the preferred list clinics for the cops? Me. It was my legwork. I got them coming in the door. If anyone is going to buy someone out, it's going to be me."

"Yeah, that's true, but who keeps those relationships going? Not you! The only long-term adult relationship you have is with your dysfunctional mother who's as fucked up as you are. It is on me. You have a gift. You can talk your way into anywhere. People like you... at first. Before they see how shallow you are. Then it's up to me to pick up the pieces. If I wasn't here, how long do you think you'd have any institutional clients? I'm not going to argue about this, Brandon. If this comes back to bite us on the ass, there's going to be ramifications."

He turned and stormed out. We hadn't had a serious argument in the nine years I've known him. I actually thought Molly liked me. The worst part was that he was right. I could get people through the door, but Jared built the relationships.

++++++

++++++

A week went by and I was feeling more like a human and less like a collection of bruises. Jocelyn had made us steak au poivre with green beans almondine. Her husband was high up in a hedge fund that kept him traveling on the regular. They had a beautiful waterfront home and their kitchen was huge. She married him straight out of culinary school and gave up her dreams of being a chef to be a housewife.

When we finished the second bottle of wine, she climbed off my lap and took my hand, leading me to the guest room. We were halfway there when I pulled her to me and then against the wall. She giggled as I kissed her neck and ran my hands up to her breasts. Lowering my hips, I ground my groin against her ass. She squirmed away, looked over her shoulder at me, and moved quickly to the room, unbuttoning her blouse as she walked.

I had to be slower and less aggressive than I normally was. I could walk with only a slight limp and I didn't need the sling for my arm, but I was in no way back to who I normally was. She was waiting for me when I walked in, slowly, so slowly unbuttoning the last two buttons. When they were loose, I moved in close, kissed her, and slipped the blouse off her shoulders. As I moved down to kiss her neck, she unhooked her bra and it soon fell to the ground.

Gently pushing her down on the bed, I knelt on the floor and began removing her tight jeans. It was slow, deliberate, and hot. I could smell her arousal as she leaned back on her elbows, lifting her hips so I could slide the jeans down. When they got to her knees, I moved up, kissing her thighs.

As I moved north, I slowly shifted my attention from between her legs to outside her left thigh. When I got high enough, I took her panties in my teeth and began dragging them down. It was a good thought, but not too practical. Switching from teeth to fingers, I pulled them down to her knees to join her jeans.

Jocelyn's hips were moving slowly and when I looked up at her face, I saw her lightly biting her lower lip. I quickly pulled the jeans and panties the rest of the way off and took her right foot in my hand. Lifting it, I kissed her heel, her calf, and behind her knee. I moved up again, this time staying between her legs.

By the time I reached heaven, she was dripping in anticipation. Tongue darting and then penetrating, I worked around my goal for what seemed like forever. By the time I coaxed her clit into fully joining us, she was writhing. Inserting a finger below my chin and then another, I had Jocelyn moaning.

She squirted once and I was winding her back up when I heard a thumping sound. Leaping from the bed, I stood there, stock-still, my heart pounding.

"What... What's the matter?"

I held my fingers up to my lips and held my hand out flat and then lowered it. She caught my hint and was quiet. A minute went by and then another. After the third, she spoke again.

"Did you hear something?"

"Yeah. I, uh, I think so."

"Okay, hold on."

Rolling to her side, she reached for a tablet on the stand next to the bed. I watched her check some settings.

"Nothing. Brandon, we have state of the art everything, including security. No alarms were tripped, no doors were opened, and I did a quick scan of the video for each door. Nothing."

"I... Okay. I guess I'm a bit jumpy."

"You know what might make you feel better? Finishing up what you were working on."

I laughed as she grinned up at me.

"Yeah, you might be right."

I went back to work and got her off again. Wiping her essence from my face, I moved up and kissed her. She returned the kiss and then pushed me onto her back. Sliding down, she got to my waist and jerked me twice before gently taking one of my balls into her mouth. She pulled back and lathed my cock and then went back to my balls.

There was nothing.

Taking that as a challenge, she went back to work. All of my flaccid dick found its way into her mouth. She moved to just have the head between her lips and sucked and licked while gently stroking.

There was nothing.

Stopping and looking up at me quickly, she went back down again. She moved from taint to tip, lightly nipped at the skin of my balls, took one in her mouth, and then the other.

There was nothing.

I finally shifted to the side and sat up. "I, uh, I'm taking some pain pills. From the accident. I think they might be, you know, sort of... inhibiting things."

"Oh. Of course. Well, that's fine. You got me off and... Yeah, I'm sorry we couldn't get you there, but it's fine."

We lay there awkwardly for a while.

"So, Brandon, whenever you're ready, I can just reset the alarm from here after you leave."

"Right. Absolutely."

"I'm not saying you have to..."

"No, it's good. I have to get home and get some rest. Big day tomorrow. I'll give you a call, okay?"

"It'd be better if I call you."

"Right."

I was out and heading to my car within five minutes. I hadn't taken a pain pill in three days.

++++++

++++++

"Well, looks like your father finally grew a pair."

This is why she invited me over? She wants to bitch about a man who she hasn't been married to in almost twenty years?

"Yeah? You talk to him?"

"Once in a while. He knows we talk and he wants to stay... informed, I guess."

"You tell him about what happened?"

"I did. You didn't ask me not to. He, well, he sort of gave me hell."

"You said he grew a pair. I guess he really laid into you."

"I mean, he sort of did when you were, what were you? Twenty? Eighteen? Something like that. Grew a pair, I mean. Cut me off cold. It was like night and day. Then he calls yesterday, we talk and he lays into me. He... well, it wasn't like the man I knew, that's for sure. Your father made it abundantly clear that you and I should talk. There were a few 'or else's that were pretty convincing. So, take a seat. This is going to take a bit."

She almost seemed rattled, which was weird. Nothing got to her, absolutely nothing. A tornado could blow through here and all that would be left would be rubble and Mom with her hand on her hip and a cigarette dangling from her lips as she surveyed the damage.

I sat down. "Okay, so what did he want us to talk about?"

"I don't agree with him, all right? Let's get that clear at the start. He says... Well, he says there's something wrong with me. That I don't know how to love people, and that includes you. And that's having an impact on you." She tapped her temple. "Up here. And that I owed it to you to explain."

He wasn't wrong. "Mom, he..."

"I know, I know, he's talking out of his ass. He doesn't know us and the type of people we are. But still, he's not totally completely, one hundred percent off-base. I know that I'm not like other people, other moms. That doesn't mean I don't love you. It just means... it's different. When I was younger, I kept waiting for that parting of the skies and the outstretched hand of God moment. That one defining event that would break through and make me like other people, you know?

"I thought it would be my first boyfriend, then when I gave up the cherry, then when I got married and then finally when I had you. It never happened. There's just a distance between me and other people. For the most part, I just don't give a crap. Not about them or what they think of me. But I do about you. Maybe not as much as I should, but I do love you."

Leaning back into the cushions, I just stared at her and listened. This was the deepest conversation we'd ever had and certainly the most honest. I nodded and raised my eyebrows, encouraging her to go on.

"You're not like me. You try to be, but you're not. I'm 51 and I'm alone and I'm good with that. I'm going to die alone, and I'm good with that as well. Between now and then there are going to be some men. Some I'll like more than others. I'm not going to regret losing any of them. The only relationship I regretted screwing up was with your father and that was because of how it impacted you.

"Really, Brandon, you're not like me. You shouldn't be alone. You need to find yourself a nice girl and try. Make a real commitment. If you wind up alone, it's going to destroy you. It's time to grow up, stop hiding, stop trying to hurt your father by acting like me. You need to man-up and push your chips to the center. Maybe you'll get hurt, maybe you won't but one thing I know for sure, you can't continue with this bullshit.

And maybe... I can't believe that I'm saying this, but maybe you should start talking to someone. A therapist or something."

Looking at the ceiling, I shook my head. "Mom, there's nothing wrong with me. I don't need to see a shrink. Look, you're worried? Okay, I appreciate that, and I'll put some thought into it, but a therapist? Really?"

"Yes, really. If you're not seeing what you're doing, you need to get some help. It's obvious to me. It's clearly obvious to your father. I truly underestimated that man. Don't get on his bad side. Anyway, think about it, okay? If you need some money, I can float you a loan for a while."

After rolling my eyes, I replied. "Mom, I have great insurance and I own half of one of the leading physical rehab centers in Pueblo. I'm good with cash."

"Well, look at you, Mr. Fancypants. So, use that insurance. Go talk to someone. Get your father off my back."

"What the hell did he say to you?"

"That's between us."

"Whatever. We done?"

"Yeah, we're done. Listen, let me just say this, okay? I know I wasn't the best mom. Don't take the wrong lessons from how I was. And your father's wrong, I do love you."

I stood up. "Since you're flush and throwing your money around, why don't we get some Chinese? Your treat."

I hugged her briefly and we went out to Pueblo Dragon by the Walmart.

++++++

++++++

When I grabbed the phone with my injured arm without wincing, I realized that I was pretty much over what had happened. It was Deb. I was guessing that her husband was back in NY again. I was feeling a little gun-shy after the debacle with Jocelyn, but I picked up anyway.

"Hey, Deb. How've you been?"

"Good. More importantly, how are you feeling? All healed up? All the important parts working again?"

"Yeah, all good on my end physically, but I'm sort of tied up in some stuff."

"Everything all right?"

"Just busy. Getting an evaluation of the clinic and we have to have a firm that we trust come in and go through everything. Work stuff. I'm going to be swamped for a while."

"Brandon, I'm a big girl. If we're done, you can just say so."

"No, not at all. Just really crazy busy."

"Okay. Well, good luck with whatever's going on. I'll give you a call the next time he's out of town."

"I'd like that. Thanks, Deb."

Just as Jared had imagined, we started losing business from city employees. They had a preferred vendors list that they utilized, and we were either on the top or near the top across the board. Sanitation, cops, EMT's, firefighters, DA's office, and anyone else that drew a paycheck from Pueblo had received visits from me when we started out.

My partner no longer wanted to be associated with me, regardless of how much business I had brought in. I could see his point and we'd been tight for years, so I wasn't out for vengeance or anything. It was my fault, which was obvious. Still, I was going to use the buy-out money to open another PT center, make it state of the art, and rebuild the client base.

After dinner, I went to the Shamrock Brewing Company down by the convention center to relax for a while. It was popular with people in town for business, including women looking to escape the grind of their normal lives. Once out of town, they let their hair down a bit. They could find some local guy, hook up and not have to worry about running into him in the future. My idea of a perfect night.

I'd driven slowly and carefully and noticed a cop car behind me three times. I wasn't going to give them any reason to pull me over and I had my car's cameras running all the time.

The evening was a bust on the female front, but I enjoyed the music and craft beers. After waiting to ensure that I was pretty much stone-cold sober, I made my way out to my car. It was dark and about 11 at night. Pulling out my keys, I used the fob to unlock the doors from a distance.

"Hey, asshole."

He was a couple of cars away from me. Not wanting any trouble, I went to get into the car when someone kicked me in the back. Managing to stay on my feet, I sprawled forward. The first guy was running towards me. Using a modified front leg sweep, I put him into the windshield of the car next to me. Blood smeared the glass and he seemed to be out cold.

I moved forward again and turned. The guy who kicked me was closing. Shifting into a heiko dachi stance, I waited for him to get close. It looked like he was going to shoot for my legs, so I went low with a kakudo geri and managed to kick him in the shoulder. I'm pretty sure I broke it and he lay on the ground rolling back and forth and moaning.

Maybe my luck was turning, because I'm not sure if I've ever been luckier. If they had been a little better, they not only would have had my wallet, but they could have killed me.

"Police! Put your hands on the car in front of you, spread wide. Spread your legs! Do it now!"

After everything that had been happening, I didn't think I'd be happy to see a cop. I complied and called over my shoulder.

"Officer, I was jumped by these two guys. I don't know if they are carrying or not. One's out but the other is still moving."

"Don't fucking move. Not an inch. You understand me? Don't move!"

"Yeah, okay. Do what you have to do."

I couldn't see him, but I heard him talking, I guess into his walkie-talkie thing.

"Two officers down. I need a bus. I have the assailant. 108 west third. Shamrock Brewing. North side of the building. Get me some back-up quick."

They were cops? This wasn't going to end well.

I wasn't exactly a welcome guest in the jail as others came and went while I sat, not being processed. People gave me space when they heard what happened. They brought sandwiches in the morning.

"Here ya go, Karate guy. This one's for you. Enjoy it. Special made."

Looking at the extended sandwich, I forced myself to grin.

"Thanks. Not really hungry. Can I get my call?"

"Someone'll be around for you."

I finally got my phone call a couple of hours later.

"Dad? I'm in some serious shit and I need help."

Forty-five minutes later I was released. A tall attractive woman in a sharp suit was standing next to my father. She looked familiar but I couldn't place her.

"Brandon, this is Liz Armigido. She's going to represent you. She's the best in Pueblo."

"Uhm, okay, thanks Mrs. Armigido. What's the first thing we need to do?"

"There's no we for a while. You need to go home, take a shower, and get some rest. I've spent some of your retainer already. These idiots didn't bother to check to see if there might be anyone in the parking lot with a phone pointed in their direction. Turns out that lurking outside of a bar gets people's attention. My researcher spent a grand total of five minutes on YouTube. I have three videos. You were clearly assaulted. You're going to be considerably wealthier and those cops are going to be civilians."

I was silent for a minute. "I know that you probably get a cut or something of whatever we sue for, but could we just drop it in exchange for them, I don't know, promising to stop the harassment?"

She looked nonplussed. "Okay, first of all, I'm doing this pro bono. You've been sponsoring my niece and brother-in-law for years. That goes a long way. Second, you just want to drop it?"

"Yeah. I... well, I sort of deserve it. Well, no, not really. No one deserves a beating from cops but, I don't know. I guess I see where they were coming from. Who's your niece and brother-in-law?"

"Shannon and Ethan Poplin. The Poplin Family Jug Band. Look, if you're sure then I can absolutely guarantee that they will leave you alone. The video is going to terrify them. Threat of the press is going to make it worse, but you realize what you're giving up here?"

"Yeah. Just... Can you maybe check out the records of the two cops? If this hasn't happened before, just make it all go away."

"I... I can do that. Not exactly how I thought this would go, but I can do that."

Liz and I exchanged information, she walked me out to Dad's car and then went back into the building. Dad was driving me home but waited a few blocks before speaking.

"You want to tell me what that was all about?"

So, I did. All of it.

++++++

++++++

The band that the lawyer mentioned was a two-piece father/daughter country group that played a lot of charity gigs around Pueblo. Jared and I sponsored a lot of their events and I attended as many as possible.

They were playing a fundraiser at the big Rawlings branch of the library that Saturday and I brought Jeremiah. By mutual agreement, Jared avoided the event. I knew Shannon and Ethan well enough to say hello and shake hands, which was what we did.

They thanked the clinic from the stage, and we had our banner on display. The show was fun. The Poplins were talented but didn't take themselves too seriously. Jeremiah lost his mind when Jimmy Reilly came out and joined them for a song. He was some hot-shot guitarist that had been really popular a couple of years ago and was making a comeback. A local, he supported a lot of Pueblo's musicians.

After the show, I took him back to what passed for the hospitality suite. He got an autograph from Jimmy and some older guy named Alex and was ecstatic. I was talking to Ethan and Shannon when Jeremiah approached us. He interrupted, talking some version of teenage game to Shannon, who was about his age. I was mortified.

"So, you were looking really good up there. I like how you play that fiddle. I've got something you can fiddle with, if you..."

I grabbed his arm and yanked him away, pulling him from the room.

"What the fuck was that?"

"What? Dude, you just stepped all over my game!"

"Your game? You're 14. She's 13 or 14! What's wrong with you?"

"Nothing. I'm not, I don't know, I'm not going to marry her or something. She's hot. I'm gonna hit it and quit it."

"You... What the hell did you just say?"

"I'm going to..."

"I heard what you said! Get the hell out of here. Wait for me in the car. I have to go back in there and find a way to apologize. Where the hell did you learn this shit?"

He just stared at me like I had two heads and stormed off to the parking lot.

++++++

++++++

Dad opened the door and stood there, not inviting me in.

"What did you say to Mom?"

"None of your business."

"What?"

"Don't pretend to be stupid, Brandon. It's an unattractive trait. What I said to your mother is none of your business. I'm not going to tell you. Now, you gonna stand there on my porch or are you coming in?"