Pain

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

But he knew he couldn't betray Cheryl, as she was the woman that God had brought to him.

Chapter Six:

Befriending the in-laws.

Ashley had started to win the respect of both Gail and her husband Sam. She had shown up on time every day and did a fabulous job. The restaurant was making record profits, largely due to the happy atmosphere, and suppliers were struggling to keep up with the demand.

Each day, Gail, Cindi, and Sam would come in early to eat, but mostly, they would bring Cindi in to spend time with her uncle. While Kyle was busy with his niece for the thirty minutes or so, Ashley took the time to get acquainted with Sam and Gail Gains.

One day, after smiling at the excited Cindi as she ran into the kitchen to be doted over by her uncle, Ashley brought three glasses of sweet tea to the table and sat with them.

Both Sam and Gail had welcomed her to sit with them many times, but she usually only sat for a short time before going back to work to prep for the evening. This time however, as Ashley sat the three glasses of tea on the table, Gail could tell that she had something on her mind.

Hoping to encourage a more personal conversation, Ashley began by commenting on Kyle's love for Cindi and how he obviously appreciated them bringing Cindi to see him.

"Oh, we know. Kyle would love to spend all day with her, but he works so DAMN much."

"Why, why work this hard? Surely he could hire someone so that he could have a day or two off?"

Gail looked thoughtfully at Ashley before making a decision. She began to tell her about their daughter Cheryl, and the accident that ended her life, causing both them and Kyle so much pain. She explained that Kyle had thrown himself into work at the restaurant to deal with his pain, and no amount of talking could stop him, or even slow him down. She told her that no pain was greater than losing one of your own children, but Kyle must have really loved their daughter, because he seemed to be in even more pain than they were.

Ashley responded that she knew that pain all too well but didn't elaborate. She was reluctant to share details of her personal experience.

Then, unexpectedly, Gail said, "I noticed Kyle has been keeping an extra close eye on someone else in the restaurant lately."

Ashley was about to explore Gail's statement when she heard a news bulletin interrupt the restaurant radio's regular music. "A car belonging to the missing woman, Hailee Black, has been found in a river under one of Tennessee's Highways, about thirty miles east of Memphis on U S highway 64."

Ashley's eyes grew large and round, and she suddenly turned her head to hear the rest of the announcement.

"No body was found in or around the car, causing the state police to believe she is still alive. The local authorities have asked anyone with information to contact them at www dot Tennessee missing person's dot com." The radio announcer then played a recording of a voice all too familiar to Ashley.

"Oh God please, help us find my daughter Hailee. Please, Hailee, if you can hear this, please, we're so sorry. Please come home."

Gail watched Ashley's expressions throughout the news flash and drew the conclusion that a person didn't need to be a Pinkerton detective to know that Ashley... was really Hailee.

After the news break, Ashley turned back to Gail, trying to pull herself together. But Gail knew the truth. She said, "It's smart of you to choose a name so close to your original. That way, even though someone calls out... not your name... you still look."

Ashley didn't know what to do, now that Gail knew her secret. One thing was certain ... she would not be going back to the place that she once called home. But she couldn't deny that Gail knew, so she asked, "Are you going to let them know?"

Gail chortled loudly and snorted.

"Listen honey, this is Tennessee. Nearly everyone I know has a still, and they aren't about to call the law in to... investigate."

She studied her for a moment before adding, "And now that I know you better, I know you're not going to hurt anyone around here. Besides, you have your reasons for leaving. So, obviously, you just need help. And that is what Tennessee is pretty good at. Well, at least this part of Tennessee."

Ashley's eyes misted up with the love and trust her friend was showing, HOPING that she wasn't lying.

~~~

The next day, when Ashley got to work, she found a laptop computer on the counter with a note:

Here you go, this will help you keep track of what you need to know.

The Gains.

WIFI password, Gains888777

Tears sprang into Ashley's eyes. She desperately needed access to a computer to help manage her life beyond the small town, but after her car slid off the road and into the small river. She had managed to get out of the car with most of her things and money, but the car had to be replaced.

She had made her way to a small town and asked the first person she saw where she could buy a car. The very kind-hearted old man told her that he would sell his car to her, but she would have to go back to Memphis if she wanted to find a dealer.

They haggled on a price, but it was more fun than anything. The old man didn't need the money, or the car. But he was having the time of his life haggling with the pretty woman. Even when she met his price, he would say, "No, I think I need a couple hundred more." And when she said "Ok" he said, "No, it isn't worth that much to me", at which they would both dissolve into joyous laughter.

Finally, Ashley bought the car for over a thousand dollars less than he originally wanted ... plus seven hugs, and one kiss on the cheek. All delivered in a very grandfather-granddaughter manner.

The best part of the deal was that he didn't take the plates off the car, and gave her his registration, so all she had to come up with was proof of insurance. Which was no problem for Ashley. But buying the car then having to stay for a week at a fairly expensive hotel plus meals -- while waiting for snow to be cleared from the roads -- ate up most of her available cash.

~~~

That night Ashley booted the computer from her motel room and searched for any information she could find on herself as a missing person.

Apparently, her mother had filed a missing person's report three days after the big fight at her house. Even her sister, Sadie, was trying to find her.

Originally, they thought she had gone to Texas. But after her car was found, they had been doing all they could to find her in Tennessee, Kentucky and even Ohio.

After all her research, Ashley felt secure in the knowledge that her whereabouts would remain a secret for the present time. Her only real concern now was that either Allen or her sister might stumble on the location of her hidden funds. Ashley thought that those two parasites would probably consider it a wedding present from her. Not to mention, she had put over a hundred fifty thousand dollars of her settlement into their house. She wanted her share returned at some stage.

Really, she didn't know just what to do. Ashley knew that Allen couldn't file for divorce for seven years, unless he found her. Or until he could prove abandonment. She didn't know how long that would take though. She considered sending the authorities a photo and message saying she was no longer missing, but she didn't know if that would work. Plus, she worried that a good detective would easily find the money she had hidden from her husband. Ashley knew she had to do something ... but what?

Chapter Six:

Procrastination.

After a few weeks Ashley was no closer to a decision. She had become caught up in everyday routine.

One day she woke and showered, as usual, in the small but very comfortable motel room. After she dressed, she headed for the door to leave, but saw movement through the small gap between the curtains. It was enough to stop her in her tracks. She peeked cautiously through the gap and was alarmed to see a police officer walking around her car taking notes.

Ashley knew then she had to get out of there. But the only way out of the motel room without going through the front door, was an extremely small window that she might not fit through. As she sat on her bed wondering what to do, she saw more movement outside. It was Kyle.

'Shit, has he turned me in?' she thought, but reconsidered when he seemed to be arguing with the officer. They were speaking loudly enough that she could overhear the conversation. To her surprise, Kyle was telling the officer that his mother-in-law had bought the car and she was loaning it to their new waitress so she could get around.

Of course, the names didn't match, but Kyle took a shot in the dark and told the officer that they bought it under the name Ashley Broke, as she was the waitress that he'd hired. The officer wanted to ask some follow-up questions, but Kyle told him that he had to open the restaurant, or people would go hungry. Then Kyle walked to her door and knocked. Terrified still, Ashley opened the door for Kyle.

He winked conspiratorially as he said "Hey girl. You're still not ready, you keep this up, I'll fire you for sure", hoping that his words sounded stern enough to appease the officer.

Entering the motel room but shielding Ashley from view with his body, he held out a red mid-length wig. Ashley just stood there looking at him, with her entire body shaking with nerves. Kyle couldn't bear to see her so worried, so he wrapped his arms around her, pulling her to him tightly. Ashley returned the embrace and began to silently weep into his shoulder.

Kyle kept hugging her to him until her shaking faded. However, the process took time and what was supposed to be just a reassuring embrace, slowly turned into a loving caring one. Kyle felt, for the first time in a very long time, what it felt like to hold a woman. And he liked it. It was then that he knew he didn't want to lose her. He had to convince her to stay with him in Tennessee. She felt so good in his arms, and he wanted to hold her like this much more often.

~~~

Somehow, they made it to the restaurant and went to work without Ashley being recognized or questioned by the police. About an hour after they opened, a short professionally dressed gentleman came into the restaurant and introduced himself as Russell Carter, Attorney at Law.

Gail was right behind him and held out her hand to take Ashley's ticket book, telling her she could have it back as soon as they were done.

The attorney guided Ashley to the lounge of the motel next to the restaurant, and they sat in two comfortable chairs separated by a table.

Russell opened his briefcase and removed some documents, then looked up at Ashley.

"You're a long way from LaPlace Louisiana ... now, if I am your lawyer, I can't tell anyone that I know who or where you are. I can also protect you, your identity, and the $1.2 million you have hidden from your spouse." He stopped and smiled reassuringly, then continued. "And the price to retain me is... ONE dollar."

Ashley was confused. Surely, if he knew about the money, then Allen would also know. But Gail Gains had obviously referred him to her, so most likely he was 'legit' she thought. She made up her mind.

"Ok, do you take cash?" The man laughed.

"It is really nice to see you in such a good humor. Gail and Sam, both said you have an amazing attitude. I am going to love working with you. So, now, what we have to do is..."

He pulled out a national newspaper and told her to take it to the fireplace and hold it so the headlines would be seen. When she complied, he took out a digital camera and took several snaps of her and the paper, making sure that the name and location of the motel wasn't in view. That completed, they sat and scrolled through the photos so Ashley could choose one to send the police and her family.

"This should take the heat off you. And you will no longer be a missing person or person of interest. Now, my offices are in Nashville, so that is where any good private detective would start. But I can deflect them easily enough. You should be safe now. Unless of course, too many people know that you're really Hailee Black."

"Only Gail Gains knows that, but I'm not sure if she has told anyone else."

He nodded his head. "Good. Now. I need to know whether you want to divorce your husband?"

Ashley knew that she wanted to be divorced from the cheating bastard but, for the time being, she wanted to remain married to keep a wedge between her sister and Allen. Frankly, she only wanted to remain married to piss off the cheaters, and to give herself time to ensure that her settlement money couldn't fall into undeserving hands. It was complicated.

"I don't know," was Ashley's reply.

But Russell understood her thought process. It was logical, after all.

"Is revenge really a good thing, even though you won't be able to begin to live a normal life. Holding onto a dead marriage, and especially after all you did to put your husband through college..."

Russell shook his head.

"My God girl, when I think about all you have given up, just to be stabbed in the back like you were .... Personally, I would like to bury that..."

He stopped, shaking his head, not wanting to further slander her husband and sister in front of her.

Ashley was almost in tears. Not because her marriage was soon to be over, but because this man, this lawyer, this perfect stranger, had shown her more compassion and understanding than she had received from her own mother.

She knew he had to have dug deeply into her life to get all that information, because she hadn't told any friends or family. After much discussion of the various pros and cons, they decided that the best option was for Ashley to become a resident of Tennessee and file for divorce from there. That would force Allen to travel to get divorced and would take much longer and be far more expensive for him. She would only need to hide for another few months.

~~~

Russell sent photos to the missing persons agencies and to her mother. There was no note from Ashley, (Haylee), but the message was clear. She didn't want to be found or go back. Of course, he had to deal with people asking for the whereabouts of Mrs. Black, but as promised, he deflected their enquiries.

~~~

A few weeks later, Russell showed up at the diner again, wearing a very satisfied expression. Seeing him enter, Gail once again took Ashley's ticket book, so the two could meet next door in the motel lounge. This time Russell had good news.

"Allen wants nothing but for you to sign the divorce papers. I told him that you would be willing to do that, but you wanted the house to be sold and to receive all the proceeds. No fifty-fifty split. And that we will be making all the sales arrangements."

Ashley's eyes grew large, surprised that the lawyer thought he could swing such a lucrative deal.

He continued, "They balked at that, telling me that they also want to split the rest of your settlement. But I blocked that cold, telling them that they would have to pay you back every cent you spent putting your husband through college, including ALL his living expenses.

"The good news is, he doesn't know how much you received in your settlement, YET. But he will find out. Anyway, I told him, sell the house, and give you back the funds you used to pay it off. Then and only then, will I ask you to sign his divorce papers.

"The bad news though, unfortunately, is that I am having a hard time trying to get him to reimburse you for the time and money you spent putting him through college."

It was a victory in Ashley's mind. She had both her husband and sister against the ropes. And she could pound them without mercy.

Reading between the lines, Ashley knew that her selfish sister was throwing a tantrum because she couldn't have what she wanted, when she wanted it. Which pleased Ashley no end. She also knew that Sadie wanted their home, as well as Allen. Maybe even more so than Allen. And Ashley Broke was keeping her from both.

She smiled a vindictive smile, then told Russell to keep the heat on. Ashley was feeling better about the settlement money because the account wasn't in her name and would be very difficult to find. She told Russell that she would accept the deal to split the proceeds of the sale, but only AFTER her $150,000 was returned.

Chapter Seven:

SAFE??

After meeting with Russell, Ashley began to feel safer and even more positive about her future.

She knew that her change of fortune was instigated through the kind efforts of Kyle and the Gains, and she wanted to do something for her benefactors to show her gratitude. So, she took some of her money and went shopping.

She had a key to the restaurant, given to her by Kyle one day he was running late. He'd told her to keep it, so she bought groceries and took them to the restaurant after closing. Spreading the food over the large commercial countertop, Ashley began making pies.

That night, the heavenly smell of sweet rolls wasn't the only thing emanating from the restaurant. The wonderous aroma of cinnamon-apples, as well as several other fillings, carried throughout the small town.

By the time Ashley had finished baking, there were almost twenty pies in the pie case. And she had thrown out the very stale and old chocolate-cake. She had berry, cherry, peanut butter chocolate, peach, banana cream, lemon meringue, and several other varieties of pie. It was an appetizing and amazing display, which she hoped that Kyle would love. With any luck, he should be able to sell the pies at a good profit.

Ashley, although exhausted from baking all night, was still very excited for Kyle to see the results of her efforts. But she could tell immediately he walked into the restaurant that something was really wrong. The instant Kyle saw the pie case full of fresh pies, he blew up.

"Where's the cake?!" he shouted.

Shocked by his outburst, Ashley choked out "Ah, I, uh."

"Just tell me where the fuck it is!!" he growled.

Ashley could only point to the waste can.

Kyle ran to the can and began to rummage through it, looking for the cake.

Ashley was in total shock as she watched him digging through the garbage like a maniac. When he found it, he carefully put the remnants on a plate and stared at it with tears in his eyes.

"I'm sorry, I..." Ashley started.

"Get out," he demanded. "Just get out."

Without saying a word, Ashley took the key off her ring and set it by the cash register. Then she hurried out the door and back to her motel room. She began to pack, but when she turned to take the first load of belongings to her car, she saw the woman with the blue top and long skirt, again holding out a single rose to Ashley.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

In tears, Ashley replied, "I have to go. I've made a huge mistake. And I've just been fired."

The woman stepped forward holding out the flower for Ashley. Only after she accepted it, did the woman say, "The cake. The cake was the last thing Kyle's wife made him before she passed."

Ashley then knew why he blew up like he did. She had just thought that the cake was old and needed to be tossed out. She did recall that no one had ever asked for a slice.

The woman continued.

"Ashley, please, listen to me. Let's spend the day together, get your hair done and buy some new clothes. When we get back, Kyle will apologize to you. He was wrong, but it will take some time for him to realize it himself."

She smiled reassuringly as Ashley sat on the bed, trying to control her tears.

The woman continued, "Kyle never became angry after Cheryl passed. And anger is a big part of grief. I am very sorry that it had to be you that brought it out of him. But right now, I am certain that he is beating himself up for taking it out on you." Then as an afterthought, "And it was really great of you to bake all the pies. I am looking forward to tasting that Dutch apple pie you made. It looks absolutely delicious."