Painting by The Numbers

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Bebop3
Bebop3
2,361 Followers

As he entered me, my back arched, and he slowly pushed forward. It was gentle and loving as we became again what we once were. He lightly nipped at my neck while his grip on my breast tightened. I turned my head towards him. "Harder."

He listened and complied. His gentle stroking in and out sped up. Wrapping an arm around my belly, he would pull me to him every time he stroked in. Eventually, he stopped, shifted and lifted me to my knees. He got on his own knees and began taking me from behind. I felt the pressure rising as he continued the delicious rhythm, his hands now on my waist, squeezing and pulling me back as he thrust forward.

I was full, and I was fevered and everything in me was rising to my center as I was exactly where I wanted to be.

"John!" I called out his name as I exploded. A few seconds later, he followed.

We fell to the mattress, again on our sides as he rested inside of me, slowly growing softer. Hours later I awoke to John getting up out of the bed and heading to the bathroom. When he came back to bed, he lay on his side. I followed suit and wrapped my arm under his and over his chest. It was the reverse of how we lay earlier.

"Tell me why," I whispered. "Explain it to me."

He was silent for so long, I didn't think he was going to answer. Finally, he reached up and took my hand.

"I have reasons, but I don't have excuses. You're not going to like what I tell you."

He couldn't see me, but I shook my head lightly. "I need to know."

John sighed. "Okay. Let's start with this one true thing. I was wrong. I should've opened up to you." He was quiet again for a few seconds. "You remember the first time we met? It was here, in Manhattan. Nick brought you with him. You and Cat. He was using his position to force us to let you do some of the art for the game. What were we going to do? We created the game, but it was named after him, and he was the star. If he wanted his little sister to do some of the art, we would find a way to make it work.

"It turned out that you were a little rough, but incredibly talented, so all was fine. But that was the first time that we had met. Right before that, I mean like the day before that, you collapsed in the middle of one of those souvenir stores on Seventh Avenue. You had to be rushed to the hospital. You didn't know it then, but Nick was one of my closest friends. He panicked, I panicked, and I didn't even know you.

"When you came into the studio after you were discharged, I started falling for you. You looked exhausted, but beautiful. We started talking and getting closer and all of that was right before the two of you went into surgery. Then Nick got so sick that we were afraid we might lose him. I still don't know exactly what it was. Some superbug in the hospital?

So, there was my friend in his hospital bed almost dying, and all I could think was what if the same thing happened to you? Do you get what I'm saying, Ronnie? Our relationship started with me constantly afraid that something was going to happen to you. That you were already carrying a burden no one should have to carry.

"I didn't want to put any more weight on your shoulders, it wouldn't be fair to you, and if I'm being honest, I..."

"What?" I softly encouraged him to continue.

"I thought you might leave me. If you knew, I thought you might go back to Ohio. It wasn't fair to you to finally be out from under everything you had to deal with and then find out that the man you were living with was going through the worst times in his life. More importantly, you deserved better. That led me to shutting down.

"It wasn't an intellectual decision, it was emotional, and it was wrong. I should've trusted you. You deserved honesty, and I'm not sure if I'll ever find a way to make that up to you."

He lifted my hand to his lips and kissed my knuckles.

A bizarre mix of anger, frustration, and relief washed over me. "You're right. You took that choice away from me. I wasn't just living with you. I loved you and you stole from me a chance to be there for you. To help you."

I had dropped everything in my life and moved to New York to be with him. I couldn't imagine a bigger sign that I wanted to be a part of his life and to share his burdens. We weren't college roommates; we were in love and were on the road towards more. His grip tightened on my hand.

"I was wrong. I know that. I'll keep apologizing for as long as you'll keep listening. Apologizing is a fucked-up excuse to see you, but I'll take what I can get."

Sighing, I let go of him and lay on my back. "You don't need an excuse, John. I truly am sorry about your mom. Tell me about her."

My hand reached up and found his again as he began to speak. I listened to him talk about his childhood and his mother's struggles as a single parent. I listened to him as we watched the glorious sunrise in Manhattan, and he talked about his mother supporting his art.

I listened as he told me how in college, he came to the realization that his passion outstripped his talent and how he knew he had to find another way to make a living through art. I listened to stories of his mother putting him through college and on her days off, making tins of cookies for him to take back to his dorm. I listened to how he saw the early signs of her forgetfulness, impatience, and mood swings.

I listened to horror stories of how terrified she would become, how she tried to hide her forgetfulness, and how it would take her longer and longer to recognize her son. I heard how he began to relish the good days and dread the bad. I listened to his stories of overwhelming guilt for not being there for her or for me. I listened to stories of losing the woman he loved, the woman who had raised him and helped him become the man he was, bit by horrifying bit.

There were tears from both of us, and I felt my anger and resentment slip away. I was sure that they would return, but in lesser measure. His secrecy was like an infection and listening to him that morning had drained it, removing the poison. More than ever, I wished that I could've been there for him, that he would've told me this earlier. But that was done and in the past.

We were both emotionally drained when he left to go back to his room to get changed before we met Nick for breakfast.

Things were a little awkward with John after that night. When we returned to Ohio, I immediately jumped into the portrait of the man, the boy, and the bridge for the woman in Tennessee. I'd send her a high-res copy as well as a quality print, but keep the original for myself for a few years. I'd used the images she let me take of her late husband and her son and took my time.

I usually needed a while to unwind after a major project. I always had a waiting list for smaller projects that I could dabble in and recharge my batteries with, and this time it was the bridge and two paintings for wealthy grandmas who wanted me to turn their grandchildren into star athletes.

I had finished one of the grandchildren when I got a phone call from John.

"Will you have time on Thursday to meet with someone from ABC? We have an interview, and they'll have some serious coverage about the Olympics and the impact on the community, and they requested a few minutes with you."

I was staring at the painting I had just finished. I was about to start packaging while I held the phone. "Sure. Can you text me the details?"

"Absolutely. And thanks."

I let my new manager know that the painting for Grandma One was done, so she could pick it up and ship it out. As always, I sent a scan with a thank you note to the woman who commissioned the piece.

When I arrived for the interview, John was there. I was surprised, but I guess I shouldn't have been. ABC wanted to speak to the artist, he was the Olympic Committee's man on the ground for stuff like this, so it made sense.

I was a little nervous with residual anxiety from the disk jockeys, but John calmed me down. Everything went well and when we were done, he invited me to dinner.

Dinner went fine, but it was obvious that he was nervous. Within the next week, I finished both the bridge and the painting for Grandma Two. Again, my manager mailed off the original and made sure I got paid for the one image and I put the other in storage after sending the scan and print. I wasn't sure how the Tennessee woman had gotten my phone number, but she called, and I could hear the emotion in her voice as she thanked me.

John called again and asked if he could meet me to discuss a project for the committee. We talked it over dinner again and it turned out that he was true to his word.

"I got you the same amount of money as you received for the other three to paint two Paralympians and one Special Olympian. You have eight weeks, but the deadline is negotiable."

I smiled and looked around conspiratorially. Leaning forward, I whispered. "Can you keep a secret? I already got started. I'm pretty happy with it. The athlete's leaning forward and a little to the side, so I was able to play with the angle and deemphasize the wheelchair. Want to see it?"

He probably thought I was going to pull out my phone and show him a photo. Instead, I took him back to my house. He stayed the night.

John was still being cautious and letting me take the lead. I finished two of the three images as well as more personal commissions as another few weeks went by. John would spend the night two or three times a week, always with me initiating.

On the fourth week, his texts and phone calls slowed down. It didn't worry me much, I knew how busy he must have been. When he did call, I asked.

"Everything okay? You've sort of been out of touch for a while."

"Yeah. Sorry. I've been looking into buying a home in the area. I'm going to be here for at least the next eighteen months. And really, I could do my job from anywhere. So, it's been crazy at work and whenever I have a few minutes I've been checking out listings."

I felt my heart begin to race. "You're thinking about staying? I mean, after the Olympics?"

"Yeah. Sorry, I guess I should have told you."

"No, it's not a problem, it's just... My financial person thought it would be good if I invested in real estate. I just bought the house I've been living in."

"Wow, that's great. I'm really happy for you Ronnie. It seems like everything is going your way."

"Yeah. I think that the therapist is helping, and I'm making up for a late start in being an adult. My point was sort of that I'm going to have a lot more room. I was thinking maybe of renting out a room. You know, just sharing the place with someone."

Why was I so nervous?

"If you haven't made any decisions yet or offered it to anyone, I love to put my hat in the ring." He laughed. "I've got pretty good references and can pay first, last, and security."

I stood up and began walking. I couldn't stand still. "Do you want to come over tonight and we could talk about it? I mean, if you're free?"

"I'll bring dinner."

We kept separate rooms, but both of us knew where this train was headed. Oddly, we only got together in my room. It was rare that we woke up together, John would usually leave soon after we were done. Everything in our dynamic had changed. He kept taking tiny steps forward and then would shuffle back at any signs of resistance. I assumed he went back to his room because he wasn't confident that I wanted him with me all night.

How things had changed since I was the timid one and he led every dance.

And still, a shadow loomed and was confronted with Therapist Santa.

Dad and I arrived in separate cars but sat next to each other in the lobby. His whole nervous vibe was throwing me off. Dad kept wiping his damp palms on his pants. When we were eventually let in, Dad quickly stepped towards the therapist and extended his hand.

"George Tremaine. Please call me George."

"Thank you for coming, George. It means a great deal to Ronnie."

"Well, then it was worth it."

When he sat down, I took his hand. "It's going to be okay. We'll get through this."

I was right. It wasn't a one-hour miracle change, but things started getting better. I would never understand or accept what he did to Nicky, but I was learning to accept who he was now.

My manager called me, and she could barely contain her excitement. "Listen, are you sitting? Listen, you are not going to believe this, I think I've found you another market. You have the grandparent's angle, and that brings in a ton of money for work that can be turned around quickly. And you've got the professional angle with the sports teams and the Olympics, and I think I got you a baseball card company, but listen, this is big. I have two basketball players and one football player who want you to do a family portrait. And they are willing to pay big. And listen, if this breaks like it should, every player is going to want something similar."

"I'm sorry, did you say something? I wasn't listening."

She had a shrill laugh, and it always made me smile to hear it. "Okay, stop teasing. I say that too often, but really, these people have deep, deep pockets. And imagine if we can get coaches and owners who want the same thing? Girl, you'll be booked for years."

I was excited and happy things seemed to be going well in every facet of my life, except with Dad, and even that was getting better. I had one more painting to do of a Paralympian, and then I had to start with the professional athletes' families. If I moved things around a bit, I had a two-week period that I could grab for myself.

I had promised myself that I was going to think of vacation and visit some of the great museums in Europe. It was time to make that a reality. I made sure that John had all the information that he needed for the house. The alarms, the contact info for the yard service, the days that the garbage went out, and anything else that he possibly needed was left in a detailed note taped to the refrigerator.

My flight to Paris was booked, and nothing was going to stop me.

The world hadn't seen through me yet and was still paying me stupid amounts of money for work that others could do better. I was going to take advantage of that and ride that horse for as long as I could. I made sure that my tickets were first-class. John drove me to the airport, we kissed, and I headed off to the lounge for first-class passengers.

When I finally boarded, I couldn't sit still. My fingers tapped a pattern on the armrest, and they wouldn't have been able to pry the smile off my face with a crowbar. When the flight attendant asked if I would like a drink, I actually asked for champagne. I don't particularly like champagne, but it was a champagne sort of day. The plane was mostly full, and I was getting ready for them to ask us to put our seatbelts on when someone stood next to my seat.

"Excuse me, I believe I have the window seat."

I looked up into John's face, seeing his worry and concern. "This is either the biggest mistake I've ever made, or a grand gesture for the ages."

My look of surprise was slowly replaced by a smile. "Grand gesture for the win. Not that this isn't a wonderful surprise, and I don't want to be disrespectful, but are you sure you can afford this?"

He raised an eyebrow. "I was at the top of my industry for years, and I worked for a billionaire who happened to be a personal friend. Yeah, money isn't an issue."

John slid past me, sat down, and took my hand. As the plane taxied for takeoff, I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

EPILOGUE

Seven Years Later

I was exhausted as I walked through the door, my arms full of shopping bags. Cat was there waiting for me. I smiled and was about to walk past her to the kitchen when I heard the voice and stopped. It was my niece.

The Adventures of Prince Stephen Smellybottom

"Not Smellybottom, Stephen the Strong."

Lori continued. "Who's telling the story? Don't interrupt."

The Adventures of Prince Stephen Smellybottom

And so it came to be that Princess Penelope Purplepants married the Judger and everyone in the kingdom attended and had a grand time. Even the King and the Bicycle Knight were nice to each other.

The Princess and the Judger lived happily ever after in her castle until the Prince arrived. He was very strong. He was very cute. He was very smelly. That's why the Princess always gave him to the two maidens. In spite of how bad he smelled; they still loved him.

The maidens had the Bicycle Knight show him how to ride, the Princess how to draw, Soldier Alex how to grow plants, and had the Dragon play games with Prince Stephen. The maidens told him stories, made him cookies and even wrestled with the Prince because they loved him so very much.

The End

____________________________________________________________

With deep thanks to Charlie, Peyton, the members of AA and my readers. If you ever get to Nashville, check out Peg Leg Porker. Carey, the pitmaster, is a good guy and has been invited to cook for the James Beard House twice.

This story is a sequel to Mr. X Games, which I regretfully had to pull from Lit.

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
49 Comments
gatorhermitgatorhermit2 months ago
Interesting Series

Appreciate the continuing saga of Veronica and her brother. Three long stories, though, and we still don’t know why George abandoned his family. Did he have a reason or was he just lazy or juvenile?

AnonymousAnonymous2 months ago

Well Bebop3, I feel the need to say; you can absolutely write! It was a pleasure to read this story, and I'll be reading the rest of them.

Comentarista82Comentarista824 months ago

I must say you packed this story with a lot of interesting points and possibilities for each character to evolve, and I'm sure that's exactly what many sensed when they commented on just the one idea of how the story may feel and the emotions they experienced upon reading it. You certainly provided a buffet for about anyone to enjoy, but there were some items that have been improved upon.

***

The story makes it very obvious Veronica experiences many iself-confidence issues to begin with. It's obvious that she also has a fairly sharp tongue at times that gets the better of her (and at least later should have thought about and controlled better), and we know that she's got a lot on her plate emotionally, plus a lot to navigate in order to evolve into a more mature person. She's obviously very talented, yet she doesn't truly appreciate it at the start. Nothing wrong with that, although it does indicate perfectionism. What I found interesting as we begin reading about this is she heavily criticizes grandmothers that want to commission paintings of their children or rich people that want to commission her to pay to paint pictures of their star athletes in the family.. while I understand that point they're paying her to do it, I don't understand why she would be complaining about that. The one thing that also is obvious is that when she first meets this Croatian wrestler named Calvin, that Calvin exactly mirrors her.. except that he's male, but he mirrors her personality in many ways, which I'm kind of surprised at because usually you tend to slow-roll a lot of how these characters develop and rarely does one get telegraphed this soon in a story. But that's not really a major point, except for the fact that Calvin and Veronica are the same except for being of different sexes. I do find it novel that you use Veronica's father in order to partly reflect the process that Veronica needs to go through later, and I definitely give you kudos for this, because therapy for anyone is a process and it can be very long and drawn out to get to the real issues. The one thing though is that despite how the dad treated Lori and Nikky early in his life and yet how he stood by Veronica when she had the kidney replacement, both children either inherited or developed talents that end up making them very successful and very sought after. It's kind of an interesting idea that his children are immediately successful, because somehow you use the story as a vehicle to recompense the children for what they missed out on either from him, or from life in general.

***

I truly appreciate that you paint Veronica is someone more interested in showing off her subjects as human beings rather than just a successful sports figure. I noted how she wanted to humanize Calvin and do the same with Jessica, although we later discover a very interesting irony about Jessica, because While Veronica muses that she could understand that people were going to look at Jessica as a type of object or a pin-up, it turns out Jessica later in the story actually perceived and knew this very well, and simply turned the situation to her advantage, socking way all that money and doing something practical like hiring a kind of financial agent to help maximize return on her money so she would basically have a good life after the endorsement deals stopped after college. In the same vein of those paintings, the story however presents Veronica getting involved with Calvin, which is something she absolutely should not do.. because it's an obvious conflict of interest. While I realize the story is fiction, this is kind of a serious mistake because this hints at the idea that she could lose that commission at the least and it could possibly cost her the other paintings as well. So this is something then I'm surprised was overlooked, because it strains Veronica's credibility to the stretching point here, and it's pretty clear that while her dalliances with Calvin don't seem to be discovered by the college, that in reality they should have and could have been, certainly when she was in Nashville and kept him late at her hotel. This is a serious weakness that the story doesn't resolve plausibly.

***

Returning to Veronica, not long after she first hears Calvin singing along to Britney Spears in her car, we're presented with Nick and John grilling together and the story displays her having passive-aggressive behavior in 3 aspects: her lying about what's bothering her about John is full-on narcissism in one degree. It's obvious that Veronica has a lot of stuff to resolve, as this is still early in the story but it strikes me as odd as to why Cat and Nikky don't call her out on her poor behavior, nor admonish her to resolve the issue with John nor at least offer to play intermediary to help talk this out and confront the situation to deal with it in a healthy manner. I realize that she nearly dies before she has kidney transplant, but that incident is distant relative to this point in time in the story and doesn't paint Nick nor Cat as truly loving her, because sometimes when you love somebody and you see them doing something destructive you have to step in and you have to be the bad guy--even if it hurts. While eventually this kind of thing gets resolved through the twins, it could have been set in motion here gently by Cat or gently by Nick, and this is also kind of a head scratcher as to why at least in some small manner the turnaround didn't start here. Oddly enough, my notes reflected that when Veronica blasted John rather harshly, I put that John should have told Ronnie to grow up at this point. He does exactly that much later in the story, but much closer to the end, and it's not really that admonition from him that spurs her to go to therapy.. but rather one of the twins telling Veronica that she was wrong for not giving John a hug and telling him she was sorry. So, it's kind of novel to use the twins as a vehicle to rehabilitate veronica, but it's a shame that the adults who are assumed to be more mature never call her out on her behavior.

***

A big question that the story almost tries to hide or doesn't explain is why Veronica's musings in some point, regarding her father and sometimes regarding John, or even Nikky, are fairly irrational and lacking in any type of logic. The story only gives about two points of evidence that she's effectively bipolar, because in one sense she coins the very phrase of manic, and then she works on a painting for eight, 10, 12, 18, or even 20 hours before she just kind of finally collapses. I lived with a bipolar schizophrenic personality for 3 years, quite by accident... but this explains almost the same behavior that Veronica manifests, and it's the only thing that really explains her irrationality...although you only partially mentioned that Veronica herself once she became more self-aware said that she seemed to skip maturing between being a teenager and becoming an adult. So somehow there needed to be possibly 6 to 12 sentences interspersed throughout the story to give the readers enough bread crumbs to determine with more certainty that maybe Veronica was bipolar or something related. This would explain why she struggled so mightily with her dad because in reality, we don't always know why some people do what they do, and do certain things to other people that lacks a reasonable explanation. Perhaps you were trying to say that okay, life doesn't always explain itself and that's true- -and that's a very powerful point! I'm probably in the minority to say that in reality, no one should try to understand life and it's totality, because some things just cannot be explained just like Veronica's dad leaving Lori and Nikky when they didn't do anything wrong. If you live long enough, you come across situations like this that don't have explanations, and you just have to go on about your life and try not to wrap your mind around it so it doesn't drive you crazy!

***

I realize this review comes out far longer than some of the others I've left before, but in reality this story kind of merited it in that you did pack a lot of angst, a lot of things to disentangle, and a lot of thoughts and feelings that really required a lot of analysis to process properly. Certainly it was wonderful to see how Veronica's dad went to therapy to try to improve himself, and that's really all you can ask when somebody commits something so inexplicable as leaving a wife and child metaphorically in the middle of the night without any reason and is legitimately trying to make amends. However it's still ironic, yet realistic, that he would still kind of punish himself to some degree with his weight loss and the extra stress possibly causing extra grain.. however him selling the company goes too far, because it makes no sense to somehow donate I believe 80% of the proceeds to Nikky when he is already rich? Now, that could possibly explain Veronica's irrationality and bipolar disorder, because unfortunately things like that have been proven to be genetically disposed, since a child's personality has been proven to be between 40-50% genetically inherited from whatever the parents contribute to that child. Also, you use Calvin to mirror Veronica in a rather unique way although I find it a little odd that Veronica in some cases is not called out to be the bully that she is towards John. Even when John finally loses it, he really treats her with kid gloves with his very minor outburst, because he only says something moderately direct about one of her paintings if I remember correctly, and tells her to grow up. Both things are warranted no doubt.. yes, no one would have thought it unwarranted had he just lambasted her about unjustly labeling him about having a New York accent, or anything else she said that was really the basis for a series of cheap shots that he didn't deserve. You most definitely use Veronica's painting as her therapy, which is always been at least in recent years, as a very recognizable form of therapy to help people through trauma, which was something even used In the Heat of the Night as a vehicle to get a young child to remember who murdered someone in that episode. The dad certainly comes off as someone flawed yet trying to make whatever progress he can, and Lori is certainly pictured as someone basically beyond reproach and very hard working. I love how you use Jessica to draw Veronica out of her shell, and especially to socialize her more with the real world and with other people. Even using Lori's twin girls was masterfully insightful to kind of deliver the Emperor's New Clothes Line of redemption to Veronica, in terms of having her realize she needed to make it up with John more than John needing to make it up with her.. although both had enough things to work on on both their parts to have to fix the gaps in their former relationship. Certainly the happy ending is not unwarranted nor unbelievable. However not explaining more about why Veronica was of her certain mental state, and some of the areas in which there were chances to help Veronica earlier I consider unquestionable shortfalls in the narrative that had they been addressed, would have added even greater gravitas to the story and really smooth it out to where they're still the same struggle and fights and confrontation of each character shortcomings but it just would have given the few more bread crumbs to every reader to understand perhaps why Veronica thought the way she did, and to explain a little bit more about why the dad did what he did. It would have been okay to leave it largely up in the air, but the way the story presented it without at least a few more supporting pieces felt just a little short of what it should have been. 4

OvercriticalOvercritical5 months ago

There are two major advantages of long stories: you can develop the characters more completely and you can build on the plot until it, too, is more complete. I haven't done a statistical analysis, but I'll be the length of stories in the Romance file is on average longer than in the largest of the files, the Loving Wives genre. This story did have a group of characters who were definitely flawed, but real. It was never at all clear why Dad, (George), was so cruel to his first wife and son. It would have been somewhat contrived for that problem to be solved, but a movement to an explanation would have done wonders for the overall taste of the tale. But it was good enough to earn an enthusiastic 5* from the majority of the readers.

I did notice that the story was written entirely in the first person using Ronnie as the narrator. Much of the story is told through dialog which is tricky to do, but effective. It was well done throughout and although I dreaded the idea of reading an 18 page story, it wasn't bad when broken down into sections that were easy to digest. The negative aspect of that approach was that I did lose track of who some of the many women in the story were. I was OK with Nick, John, Calvin, Dad and a couple of minor players who appeared now and then, but were recognizable in context. The women were much more difficult: Cat, Lori, and others confused me And the bunch of children were also confusing. Some of this was due to the fact that Dad had two wives and two families and two sets of grandchildren and their associated families. Still it was a good experience and well worthy of the almost universal 5* rating.

silentsoundsilentsound6 months ago

Great little story. Your MC was flawed and well written which was enjoyable.

I found her lovable, disgusting at times, self centered, generous, selfish, myopic and growing during the story into a more mature woman.

John was maybe a little too convenient for reality, waiting like a wounded saint in the wings while Ronnie got her ugly problems under control, he wasn't perfect either but a little too close to it and conveniently available for her.

I enjoyed the read. Thank you.

Show More
Share this Story

Similar Stories

Save One Love Adopted daughter helps wounded father find love.in Romance
The Unicorn An average guy. A retired model worth millions. Can it work?in Loving Wives
As You Wish After death, love lives on.in Romance
Full Count... Friendship and love is found.in Romance
Teacher's Crossroad Tyson learns a painful lesson. Is it too late to love again?in Loving Wives
More Stories