Pale Morning Light Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Yes sir." Joanne said. "I've seen some things already, and the human deaths don't bother me nearly as much as seeing..." She did not finish, and did not need to. I understood.

"All right, go see Lieutenant Perlman for an assignment." I said.

"I asked her to let me work with the Honor Guard team for Laika's ceremony." Joanne said. Laika was going to be cremated, then buried at the Pet Cemetery that was east of Cemetery Hill, where several other police dogs were interred. I just nodded and dismissed Cummings to her duties.

The MCD team was working to clean up the details of the case. Thatcher had been equipped with a device that mimicked his ankle monitor, allowing him to leave his home undetected. He had been supplied with a crowbar and red paint, and he'd managed to slip out of the surveillance of my officers.

Later that day, SBI Agents Ted Crenshaw and Ted Orosco came to our Police Headquarters. Detective Parker of MCD had been assigned as the liaison to the SBI in this case, and was also present. The Sheriff invited Lieutenant Ross, Lieutenant Perlman and myself into the Chief's office to hear their report.

"Thatcher has been singing like a bird." said Crenshaw. "He really wanted us to know that he did it, and in retaliation for what he said was the beating that you, Commander Troy, gave him during his first arrest. He kept telling us over and over how happy he was that he'd gotten to kill a police dog, and that it was all the Iron Crowbar's fault."

"Yeah, right." I said. "So did he say who put him up to this?"

"We might have pressed him a little bit on this one, but you didn't hear me say that." Orosco said. I just grinned; the SBI was extracting a confession from Thatcher just as I might have... by administering physical pain to Thatcher's body. Cindy's eyes flashed her own satisfaction. Daniel Allgood looked like he wanted to be somewhere, anywhere else at this moment.

"He said that he was with his lawyer in the lawyer's office when Katherine Woodburn came in." Orosco continued. "She gave him the details of the plan, and told him that the same judge would get him off again after the Iron Crowbar came to arrest him. She told Thatcher to do whatever it took to make the Iron Crowbar beat him down, even to attack Commander Troy, and that he, Thatcher, would be very well paid once he was back out."

"Does Thatcher not realize that if I had gone there, I likely would've murdered him?" I said, not caring if the I.A. microphones got that. I had my 'bug-killing' device activated in my pocket.

"I don't know, Commander." said Crenshaw. "But as the interrogation went along, I think he started realizing he was being hung out to dry. His lawyer didn't show up as promised, leaving him alone, and we made sure to tell him that Senator Woodburn had no intention of helping him nor paying him. He said that the black crowbar was given to him by the lawyer, but the only hardware store that sold a crowbar in this County recently said that a youngish man bought it. When we showed the store owner this picture, he said the guy in the picture was the buyer."

The picture Crenshaw showed us was a handsome young man that I recognized as Katherine Woodburn's personal assistant. "Oh, that's Woodburn's assistant." I said. "He's been down in Midtown with her during the legislative SBI negotiations."

"How are those going, Commander?" asked Crenshaw, taking an opening to satisfy his enormous curiosity. "We thought Director Lewis would be all over the TV sets over this, but he's taken a back seat. Governor get to him?"

"I doubt it." I said, giving them a little bit of information. "Lewis is not afraid of Jared... you're hearing it here first, but I think Lewis might run for Governor in the next election. And I agree with you in that I thought he'd make hay of this situation, too, and I don't know why he hasn't yet." I wanted to contemplate that, but we had to move on. "So it's Woodburn behind this?"

"From Thatcher's confession, it is." said Crenshaw. Cindy got up.

"I'll go ask for an arrest warrant." she said.

"There's a problem, Lieutenant Ross." said Crenshaw, stopping her. "First, the Legislature is in session, and Senator Woodburn is immune from arrest while it's in session."

"You're kidding." said Cindy Ross, her face a mask of open shock.

" 'Fraid not." I replied laconically. "It's in the State Constitution."

"And second," said Crenshaw, "it's too thin a case, even with Thatcher's confession. Her defense lawyer would poke holes at it. We've heard Thatcher's confession, but he wasn't really consistent in the details, and we only have Woodburn's assistant buying a black crowbar as any kind of connection. Technically and actually, the assistant is the only one we could go after right now."

"Can we arrest her after the Legislature ends its session?" Cindy asked. "Paulina has made good circumstantial cases in the past."

"It's in the State Attorney's hands now." I said. "I doubt they'd want to touch this one. It's politically radioactive. Thatcher could recant his confession at any time and take the Fifth, and then we could only convict him, and only on the forensic evidence we got at the scene. Woodburn goes free, Lieutenant Ross. She is going to get away with it."

I said the last sentences to make the smoldering fire inside Cindy burn a little hotter. And it worked: I could almost read what was formulating in my Lieutenant's mind at the moment. Her ice blue eyes were flashing cold fire.

"All right guys, thanks for the information." said Sheriff Allgood, drawing the meeting to a close. "I can also tell you the local politics: the Council and the D.A.'s office both want to see Thatcher burn, but they don't want to take on Woodburn in a legal case we likely won't win. You guys at the State level will have to catch her at something else..."

Part 10 - Revenge

As we left the Sheriff's office and I was just about to enter the anteroom to my office, I grabbed Cindy's arm and whispered "Just make sure that I have plausible deniability." I then gave her a meaningful glance and went on into my office. Cindy continued down the hall, her ruggedly pretty face chiseled in stone.

She turned into the MCD office instead of going into her own. "Where's Cummings?" she asked.

"In the back parking lot, practicing for the burial ceremony tomorrow." said Martin Nash, the only person in the room at the moment.

Going out back, Cindy watched as Joanne practiced leading the drill and ceremonies. Cindy was impressed: Joanne was doing well. After they finished, Cindy called Joanne over.

"How are you feeling?" Cindy asked.

"Still angry, ma'am." said Joanne. "Like a little fire in the pit of my stomach. I want vengeance."

"Good." Cindy said quietly. "So do I. Here's the plan..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was a gala evening at the home of University President Sidney P. Wellman and his wife Sally. Since Laura was out of town, I was the official escort of Lt. Tanya Perlman, who had brought her baby son Pete along for the occasion. Fortunately, he slept peacefully through much of the ooh-ing and ahh-ing bestowed upon him.

This was an event for fundraising for the State Police Charity Organization, which helped the families of fallen police officers at the local and State levels. Chief Emeritus Griswold and his wife were there, as well as Sheriff Daniel Allgood and his lovely wife Melina.

I also saw Lt. Claire Michaels and Sergeant Hugh Hewitt of the SWAT team, and realized I hadn't had a good conversation with them in a while. I noted that Claire was really toned and fit.

"You're looking very in-shape, Lt. Michaels." I said to her after introductory chit-chat. "Working out a lot?"

"Yes sir." said Claire. "I intend to win the Police Boxing Matches this summer, and take the title." The Police Boxing Matches were an annual event of boxing, but in the past few years an event had been added where one used billy sticks and plastic body armor. It was pretty much 'anything goes', within bounds of reason and safety. Do I even need to say that the reigning champion was one Cindy Ross?

"I'm gunning for that title, too." I said. "What about you, Hugh?"

"I have no illusions, sir." said Hugh. "And with all due respect, I hope you'll be happy with no more than a bronze medal." I couldn't help but grin at that one.

Also in attendance were Henry R. Wargrave and his pretty wife Lilly. She was wearing her hair short and combed across the side of her head something like a man would, but on her it looked good. As always, I admired her very shapely legs, wondering what it'd be like to have those long, sensuous stems wrapped around me while my cock was balls-deep inside her.

Wargrave and I had made strong eye contact as we shook hands while part of an impromptu receiving line, but had no further chance to talk. In those brief moments, I could tell that Wargrave was not his normal self, that there was something going on in the back of his mind. And that, of course, had my 'spidey-sense' on complete alert.

At the right time, Dr. Wellman began the ceremonials of the evening. He announced the very large amount of money raised for the Charity, then had Henry Wargrave come forward for an announcement.

"Just over a year ago, our Police Force lost a young Corporal, Pete Feeley." said Wargrave. "He left behind his fiancee and a now-born son. In addition to my other donation to the Police Charity, I've arranged for two trust funds to be established at the J.P. Goldman Bank. The first will provide for a scholarship for Pete Feeley's son, as well as the orphaned children of any other police officers or fire fighters in the Town & County." There was enthusiastic applause.

"The second trust fund is to establish a scholarship here at the University, the Peter M. Feeley Scholarship, which will pay tuition, books and on-campus expenses (i.e. dorm and food) for the recipient, who must be a Criminal Justice major." There was more applause as Tanya brought up little Pete and received a piece of paper for the photo-op.

"That was very generous of you, Mr. Wargrave." I said to Wargrave as he and I spoke for the first time a few minutes after the ceremonials ended.

"It's the least I can do for the Police Force and those who have lost their lives serving it." said Wargrave. "It's fortunate that your children aren't the named recipients, from what I understand. That rogue CIA cell really was coming after you."

Now why did Wargrave bring that up, and now? I wondered, but I did not let that show as I said "Yes, I've had to learn how to duck. Of course, two of my officers were wounded last summer deliberately getting between me and flying bullets. I'm appreciative of them, but not the attempts to kill them." Mine was a direct message to Wargrave, who may have had a hand in that attempt to grab Ned and shot up Cindy and Sgt. Charles in the process.

"We're all fortunate that they survived." said Wargrave. "I'm also glad that your family survived that devastating fire at your home. I was disgusted to hear of your children being put in such danger; I can't imagine anyone stooping that low to get at you."

"Neither can I," I said, knowing Wargrave was not behind it and that he was now conveying that he had nothing to do with it and was not happy about it, "but there are some very evil persons walking this earth, Mr. Wargrave. Very evil, indeed. I am sure that a man of your stature and position in the world is aware of that, and that even you could be targeted by such evil. Any ideas who might have been so evil to set that fire?"

For a fleeting second, Wargrave's face showed pure shock... followed by recognition. I had just given the man a clue, a clue that might save his skin if he chose to understand. Just then, his wife approached us.

"Why hello, Commander," she said in her soft voice, her eyes sparkling as I took her hand and kissed it, slightly pulling her towards me, all but openly flirting with her in front of her husband. "It's such a pleasure to see you again."

"Likewise, Mrs. Wargrave." I said. "You look lovely tonight--" Unfortunately I didn't get to go further with my flirtation, as Sally Wellman brought Tanya and Pete over... and I knew Sally was doing it to break up what I was doing with Lilly Wargrave right in front of her wealthy but impotent husband..

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It was nearly midnight, and Katherine Woodburn was tired. She'd been fielding calls from her wealthy constituents and other politicians almost non-stop since attending the United Negro College Fund gathering at the Hyatt Hotel. It was either that or the Wellman's event honoring the Police, and Katherine didn't want to see that bastard the Iron Crowbar right now; she preferred pretending to be a civil rights supporter and listening to all those disgusting speeches by the Black political leadership.

She was in the room of her home here in Town that served as her private office. It was in a gated community, inside the fenced and video-monitored grounds of the property, with the best security system money could buy.

*Clink!*

She heard the faint sound and stopped, listening hard.

*Creee-eek!*

Was that a door being opened? she asked herself, still straining to hear, fear gripping her.

"Clark, is that you?" she asked. Standing up, she peered out at the darkness. She still did not see the masked figure until the intruder was suddenly upon her!

"Unngh!" she gasped as the perp rushed her and punched her hard in the stomach before she could react. As she doubled over in pain, another driving blow smashed into the side of her head, knocking her against the desk. The intruder was wearing all black, including a full face-and-head mask. She couldn't even see any eyes behind the mask, but she did catch something else... a flash of blonde hair coming out the back of the mask.

She didn't have much time to see more; the intruder grabbed her by the collar and pulled her up, then delivered another staggering blow to her midsection. Pain exploded in her as she went down again, followed by more sharp spikes of pain as the intruder kicked her hard in the ribs and belly with boots, the toes reinforced with steel.

Katherine felt herself losing consciousness as the intruder knelt down and smashed a hardened fist into Katherine's face several more times, leaving the woman bloodied, then delivered more body blows...

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Easy, Senator, just relax." said the voice. Opening her eyes, she realized that she was in the Emergency Room at University Hospital. "You've got a couple of fractured ribs, and your jaw was nearly dislocated."

She looked up into the face of the doctor, then past him to the shocked face of her assistant Clark and what looked like a plainclothes police officer.

"Who did this to me?" she asked.

"We don't know yet." said the plainclothesman. "I'm Agent Greenwalt with the SBI Reserve, ma'am, and I'm here investigating the attack upon you."

"Wh... what time is it?" Katherine asked.

"It's nearly six o'clock in the morning." said Agent Greenwalt. "Your assistant Clark found you at midnight and called for an ambulance. Did you see your attacker?"

"He... I guess it was a he... was wearing all black." said Katherine, remembering. "Oh... wait... I think I saw blonde hair under the back of the mask."

"Sure it wasn't a woman?" asked Greenwalt.

"I... I don't know." said Katherine as the pain began creeping back into her injured body. "It could've been... how badly am I hurt?"

"You need to rest, but you'll recover soon." said the E.R. doctor. "You'll have to wear the binding on your ribs, and you'll show outward bruising as the bruises come from inside to the surface, but other than that you're not seriously injured. We're monitoring you for a concussion, also."

"It's the damned local police, the Iron Crowbar did this!" Katherine suddenly shouted.

"That's why I'm here, ma'am." said Greenwalt. "We've been called in to make sure it wasn't the Town & County Police. The Commander has an airtight alibi, though; he was at Dr. Wellman's home until after midnight for an event there."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"This is Bettina Wurtzburg, KXTC Channel Two News!" blared Bettina at 7:00am on Tuesday, February 17th, from outside the State Building in Courthouse Square. "Channel Two News has learned that State Senator Katherine Woodburn was attacked in her home last night. Police say she was not sexually assaulted but was badly beaten by the intruder. Commander Troy of the Town & County Police Department has called in the State Bureau of Investigation to handle this case, citing Ms. Woodburn's status as a State Senator, and also to investigate and make sure that none of his police officers were involved in this attack in light of the recent tensions over the Bryan Thatcher case and the recent killing of retired police dog Laika."

Bettina continued: "The intruder or intruders were able to penetrate and defeat both the gated community's systems and Senator Woodburn's home security systems. Nothing was stolen from Senator Woodburn's home. Police and the SBI believe the attack was personal in nature, but a more specific motive is not known at this time..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

At 11:30am, Myron Milton was the center of attention in Classroom 'E' of Police Headquarters. Several monitors had been set up, and he was showing data to a group of officers and SBI Agents, as well as FBI Agents Sandra Speer and Eduardo Escobar, who I'd asked to be present to monitor the situation... and keep the SBI in line if need be.

It was I who had called in the SBI Reserve almost immediately after hearing the first police reports of the Woodburn assault at 12:30am the night before. I had instantly realized that this could become a huge political hot potato, and began working immediately to defuse any unwarranted accusations that might come against my Police Force. So in the room were SBI Director Jack Lewis, SBI Inspector Britt Maxwell (looking very beautiful, I might add), SBI Reserve Agents Grigsby and Greenwalt, who'd investigated the missing morphine at University Hospital some months back, and two SBI I.T. Agents to handle the evidence Myron was giving them.

Molly Evans was also there, but she was not allowed to be there as an SBI Reservist because of a certain family relationship with one of my Lieutenants. Last but not least was myself... sitting back and quietly letting them do their work.

Virtually every officer had been accounted for by the SBI, including myself as having been present at the Wellman party during the time of the assault, and the GPS of my Police SUV showing me going straight home from there to the Mountain Nest. They'd have to interview Bowser if they wanted to know my movements inside the house.

The last two officers, and the biggest suspects, were Lieutenant Cindy Ross and Detective Joanne Cummings. Both were blonde-haired and there was the well-known animosities and feelings after the death of Sergeant Laika.

"Okay," said Myron to Director Lewis, who was sitting next to Myron and looking on with interest, "this is the GPS of Lt. Ross's SUV. She and Detective Cummings were riding together on a training patrol. They were on the west side of the Town the entire time, and the GPS says the vehicle did not come anywhere near the north side of Town, where Senator Woodburn's home is."

"That's good," said Director Lewis, "but Woodburn is just going to say that there were imposters in the car, driving it around."

"Yes sir." said Myron. "Which is why I've been working with the FBI and their facial recognition technology on some video footage we have from several traffic intersections." Myron showed the footage. The driver was reasonably clear in a couple of shots, and the video not only looked like Cindy to us, it looked like Cindy to the FBI's sophisticated programming as well. There wasn't much on the other blonde in the car, and the facial recognition software couldn't make a clear pattern, but our eyeballs thought it looked like Joanne Cummings's blonde hair and a bit of her face.