Pathways Ch. 09-10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,603 Followers

Mom insisted on buying the sheets and towels, as well as the kitchen utensils. By the time I moved in, I had everything I needed to live there comfortably. The first weekend after moving in I sat down and mailed a change of address to everyone I could think of, including Bernie and Deb. I also let them know my new phone number. I had a cell phone now, but I used it almost exclusively for work. It wasn't cheap, and neither were the usage charges.

Christmas was upon us almost immediately and I scrambled to find some presents for my parents and Kenny. I sent cards to Bernie and Deb, with my intention to call Deb between Christmas and New Year's to find out how her father was doing with his treatments.

"It's too early to tell, Ian," Deb said as we talked on the phone. "It takes a lot out of him. Twice we've had to stay overnight in Vancouver and drive home the next day. I hope we don't have to keep that up."

"What's the schedule for his treatments?" I asked.

"Every four weeks so far. They haven't suggested that he could reduce the frequency yet." I could hear the stress and worry in her voice.

"Do you drive him each time?" I asked, an idea beginning to form in my head.

"Yes. We get up very early to catch the first ferry from Langdale. That allows us to get to the hospital in plenty of time for his treatment. When it's over, I pick him up and we drive home if it's not too late for the last ferry. Otherwise we stay in a motel and catch a morning ferry when Dad's feeling up to it."

"That sounds really hard on you and your father," I said. "Can I make a suggestion?"

"Go ahead. What are you thinking?" she asked tentatively.

"Have him walk onto the ferry at Langdale and I'll pick him up and take him to the hospital. When he's done, I'll bring him to my place and he can rest up until he's ready to go home. It might mean he won't be back until the next day, but he'll have had a chance to recover."

"Oh, that's too much for you to do, Ian. You can't interrupt your life for us."

"Yes, I can. I want to. It's a small thing I can do for a friend. It's only once every month and I know it won't interfere with my job," I told her, crossing my fingers.

"There's a complication, Ian. Dad's too weak to walk very far after the treatments. I take a wheelchair with me when we go and we need it for his return trip."

"Not a problem," I said immediately. "Wheelchair passengers get priority, so if he uses the wheelchair to board in Langdale, I can pick him up in Horseshoe Bay. The same thing will work in reverse."

"I can't ask you to do this, Ian. It's too much." I could hear the indecision in her voice.

"Yes you can. I told you when you first mentioned your father's illness that anything I could do to help, I would do. This is the time to allow me to help."

I'd stated my case as forcefully as I could.

I was sure I could hear sniffles in the background before she said anything further.

"Very well. You are a special friend, Ian. I won't forget this and neither will my parents."

"Thank you for trusting me with this, Deb. I will take good care of him. I'm sure this will be better for both you and your father. Just call me and let me know when his next appointment is and I'll arrange everything."

"Thank you, Ian. Thank you so much. I'll fax you his schedule for the next three months. You'll know in advance when he will be coming your way."

I hung up the phone after some further talk, leaning back in my chair and wondering if I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I would need to talk to my boss about what I'd just agreed to. If I had to take my vacation a day at a time, I would do so. I wasn't going to let Deb or her parents down.

~*~

"So, as I understand it," William O'Rourke, my boss, summarized our discussion, "once every month, you have volunteered to drive this man from the ferry to the cancer clinic and back to the ferry when the treatment is concluded. On top of that, this man, whom you've only met once at your graduation, will be staying overnight in your home."

I nodded. "That's right. The Cummings family is stressed right now. If I can do a little bit to ease that stress, it will help all of them."

I was worried. This conversation wasn't going the way I had hoped, but before I had a chance of offer to use my vacation days, William continued.

"That's a pretty damn fine thing to do, Ian. Bob told me you were an exceptional young man, and I can see why he thinks so. You do what you have to do to help. Just let me know what days you won't be available. I'll make sure you don't have any obstacles."

I blinked in surprise. I wasn't expecting him to be so agreeable. He had a business to run. He was making allowances without even knowing Ralph Cummings, or his wife and daughter. It was another reason to feel good about working for this company.

~*~

I had a little cardboard sign with "Cummings" written on it as I waited for Ralph Cummings to appear from the passenger tunnel. He was one of the first off and waved to me as he saw me and the sign.

"Hello, Ian. Good to see you again. Thank you so much for doing this for us. I know it will take a big load off Sharon and Deborah."

"It's my pleasure, Sir. Deb is a good friend and it's nice to be able to help."

"Please, call me Ralph. We're going to be seeing each other now and then," he chuckled.

I pushed him out to the parking area and loaded the wheelchair into my hatchback. I thought he seemed in good spirits and I didn't see much change from the man I remembered at our graduation ceremonies. He was walking a little slower, but otherwise his colour was pretty normal. He said he wouldn't need the wheelchair at the clinic, as they supplied one.

We worked our way through the late morning rush hour traffic, arriving at the clinic well ahead of the appointment time. I made sure he had both my cell phone and office numbers to call when the treatment was done, and that he was able to make it into the clinic without help before I pulled away and headed to the shop.

It was nine o'clock when I arrived at the shop and found Bob waiting for me.

"Good morning," he smiled. "Sleep in?" he teased.

I wasn't sure William told Bob what I was doing, but I soon found out that he had.

"How is Mr. Cummings?" he asked, still smiling.

"Uhhm, fine. It's after his treatment that he'll be in rough shape," I said.

Bob nodded. "Marion has been driving one of our neighbours to the clinic for her breast cancer treatments. The after-effects are very draining. I really admire what you are doing, Ian. Do your parents know?"

"Uhhm, no, I guess I haven't mentioned it," I admitted.

He laid his hand on my shoulder and gave it a pat. "Well done, Ian. Well done." He turned and left.

I received a call on my cell phone just before five o'clock that Mr. Cummings had finished his treatment and would be released within the hour. Apparently they were still running some tests or something. I left the office and made my way to the clinic in the rush hour traffic. I parked and walked into the clinic and looked around for Mr. Cummings.

I wasn't prepared for what I saw. At first, I didn't recognize him. All the colour in his face had been replaced with a gray pallor that aged him beyond his years. He raised a hand weakly to let me know he saw me and I walked over to him.

"You look very ... tired," I said, trying to couch my language.

He nodded. "I know. I don't have much energy right now, Ian. If you could push me to your car, I'm sure I can get in on my own."

I maneuvered the wheelchair up to the side of the passenger side door and opened it for him. He needed my help getting into the car before I returned the wheelchair to the building and we left for my home. Our conversation was almost non-existent as I drove in the late rush hour traffic. I wasn't prepared for how weak he was and I was wondering if he could make it up the three steps into my home even with my help.

We made it, but it was tiring for him and he wasn't ready for any kind of meal at that time. Deb had told me that he might have some soup and crackers if he felt up to it and that's what I had ready for him when he wanted something. He said he had a hard time keeping food down until the worst of the after-effects wore off.

"You've made quite an impression on our daughter, Ian," Ralph said as he relaxed in my easy chair. "I think she's beginning to understand the difference between a boy and a man. She talks about you a lot, you know. I don't suppose you ever knew what effect you had on her back in college."

"I guess I didn't," I admitted. "She's always been a bright, lively young lady. We got along very well together."

"She told her mother that over time she found herself comparing other boys to you and they never seemed to measure up. When you called her after you returned to Vancouver last summer, she almost jumped for joy."

"I didn't know that. I mean, we haven't even seen each other since graduation."

"Well, that should tell you something, shouldn't it?" he smiled wearily.

I thought about what he'd said. She'd warned me not to fall in love with her back when we first were dating. It seemed like the same thing Bernie was telling me not so long ago. Being honest with myself, Deb did hold a special place inside me. But exactly what that special place was, I did not know.

It was after ten the next morning before I was able to get Mr. Cummings into the car and on our way to Horseshoe Bay. We were in plenty of time for the next ferry and the booth attendant in the passenger lounge assured me there would be someone there to help Mr. Cummings onto the ferry. He was too weak to manage even the slight incline in the passenger tunnel. I took his hand, promising to see him again next month for his next treatment. He thanked me again and smiled as he turned to the attendant.

As I drove back to the shop, I wondered if these treatments were going to be successful. By my count, this was his fifth visit to the clinic. The first three were directly after he was diagnosed and a regimen of treatment prescribed. There followed a gap of three months while the results of the first treatments were evaluated. When no progress against the disease was noted, they decided a more aggressive schedule was required and he was now on a monthly routine until further notice.

I arrived back at work just after eleven that morning. I checked in with William and he gave me the high sign that everything was okay. I felt I was able to relax for the first time since I'd picked Ralph Cummings up yesterday morning. I found I was worried about him and wanted to insure that I'd done everything possible to make him comfortable. He'd had a little bit of the soup and a couple of crackers, along with some water last evening. This morning, he had some orange juice and a small banana, taking some pills while he did so. He made sure I understood his appetite would return in a day or so.

I was tired when I got back to my duplex that evening. I'm sure it was the tension attached to my dealing with Ralph. I was barely in the door when my phone rang.

"Ian?" Debbie asked before I even had a chance to say hello.

"Hi, Deb. Did your dad get home okay?"

"Yes ... yes he did. Thank you so much, Ian. Dad was so appreciative and wanted me to make sure you knew how grateful he was for your help. We all are, Ian. It's a wonderful thing you are doing."

"I feel good about doing it, Deb. It's not a big thing, but I know it really helps you and your mom."

"You have no idea, Ian. I think Mom slept through last night for the first time in ages. I don't know how to thank you for this, but I promise I'll think of something."

"Well, I'm due for some vacation this summer. So, if you think your family is up to it, I'd like to come up and visit. If your dad's up to it, maybe even do a little fishing."

"Oh, Ian, I'm sure Mom and Dad would love to have you visit. I know I would. Please let us know when your vacation is so we can plan for your arrival."

"I'll do that. I've never been on the Sunshine Coast, so it will be a new experience for me."

"I'll make sure you get to see all the sights," she promised, a lift in her tone of voice now evident.

We talked for a few more minutes before I begged off to get my evening meal ready. I'd skipped lunch and I was hungry.

Chapter 10A

Debbie:

I can't begin to describe just how wonderful Ian has been to my family. He took so much pressure off Mom and me by taking my father to the cancer clinic, putting him up in his home overnight, and bringing him to the ferry the next morning. I suppose I should have known that it was just like him to do something like that, but he still caught us by surprise.

Mom and I have come to accept that we are going to lose Dad. It hurts, but he is facing it bravely and I am so proud of him. I know Mom is too. I was very worried that she would get overtired and fall ill. But if Ian's first time with Dad is any indication, Mom is sleeping better while he is away. She knows Dad is being cared for. Thank you, Ian.

To Be Continued

coaster2
coaster2
2,603 Followers
12