Patrick Ch. 14

Story Info
Who died?
7.5k words
4.81
28.9k
30

Part 14 of the 15 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 12/30/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,662 Followers

Chapter 14- Before the Funeral

Puff agonized and paced for hours before coming to a decision and then he changed his mind once again. He didn't know if he could do what he was thinking of doing. Clay was the closest thing that he had to family and if he did this.....

The funeral was just beginning so he still had some time to agonize over his choices. If he killed Clay he would have to leave Pittsburgh and could never return and he would be hunted. He would have to spend the rest of his life looking over his shoulder as Clay had contacts everywhere. Fortunately money wouldn't be a problem, he wouldn't be able to live as he was now but he wouldn't suffer either.

He had already planned for this moment, not the killing of Clay but the moment when he would have to leave at a moment's notice. He had always known that it was going to happen but not under these circumstances. His packed bag sat next to the door of his bedroom, his available cash-$10,000 was in side of his jacket pocket and the rest of his money was sitting safely in a bank account that no one other than himself knew about and it was under a different name.

"Am I really going to do this?" he asked himself for the thousandth time, "Is she worth giving up my life for?" Puff closed his eyes and opened them again as he wondered not for the first time what it was that Kevyn knew that Clay that he would want her killed. It was more than that he realized, it was the man and the issue wasn't his race, it was the fact that he had managed to do what Clay hadn't been able to do- obtain Kevyn's love and loyalty.

He found himself glad that he kept his romantic endeavors to a minimum even though he wanted nothing more than to find a nice woman to settle down with and to leave this life. He had visions of moving to someplace warm and where he and his wife could sit on the porch in January sipping drinks while people in the east froze their asses off but he had never met that woman, well he had but....

Clay tried to set him up with cousins and sisters of friends but it never went anywhere beyond a first date. It wasn't that they weren't beautiful and intelligent; they just did nothing for him. There was one woman who did and he was considering killing his best friend for her even though she was out of his grasp and always had been.

He walked over to the closet, took down a carry on bag and carried it to the bed. After unzipping it he pulled out a 9mm automatic glock and laid it on the bed. He looked at the gun for several long minutes before reaching inside to take out the 9mm regular bullets that he was planning to use instead of the hollow point rounds.

Puff sat on the bed and wondered if he just shouldn't just get his get his ass out of dodge but then Kevyn would still be in danger. Clay would just get someone else to do it and he would rather be the one to do it.... "Fuck!" he whispered. He was actually considering doing what Clay ordered, he was really thinking about killing the one person that he knew to be a good person and didn't deserve to die."

********

Gene took one drink and then another followed by another until he began to feel a slight buzz. If he didn't do something, they would be planning another funeral and this one would be his fault. He would also have what he wanted.... Control and what he didn't want, Patrick Sinclaire up his ass. Puff and Clay weren't the only ones who sensed the power that radiated from Patrick, Gene sensed and felt it too and it scared him.

That Patrick loved his sister was clear, that he also cared for Louise was just as obvious and he wondered why. He acknowledged that of all of them, Louise was probably the only one without an agenda. She stayed out of the family drama as much as she could instead concentrating on her job and their mother. Even Barb who lived in Connecticut had an agenda even though she tried to hide it. As soon as she heard about Kevyn's rich man she started packing and was out of the door within the hour.

Gene blew out a breath and resisted having another drink. It was bad enough that he was slightly buzzed but he would never hear the end of it if he showed up at the funeral drunk. He looked at the program for the services, opened and then flung it across the room when he saw Patrick's name listed as family. His anger rose as he thought about the repast and where it was going to be. Never in his wildest dreams could he have afforded a place like that and here this... this interloper comes and makes him look bad.

But still... Kevyn was his sister and she loved the man as much as he loved her and was as protective of Louise as Patrick was growing to be. He hadn't missed the accusatory glance that Kevyn gave him when Patrick was patching up Lou's hand. She always knew when he was involved in something but to her credit she didn't ask about it, but she knew.

Gene walked over to a locked cabinet and looked at it for several minutes before taking out the key to unlock it. He looked at the 9mm automatic Glock, closed the cabinet and locked it again. He bought the gun for protection but he hadn't touched it since he took the classes on how to use it. He couldn't believe that he was considering using it now, not on himself but on whom? Clay? Patrick? Kevyn? Who?

Against his better judgment Gene mixed himself another drink and downed it in one gulp. If he got caught....he stopped himself, to think along those lines meant that he had decided and he hadn't or had he? Gene sat the glass down and headed for the shower, suddenly he wasn't feeling too well.

*******

Clay said one of his many prayers for protection and forgiveness for what he was about to do but it came down his safety. The funeral was a few hours away and he would take the opportunity to say a final goodbye to Kevyn, after tonight he wouldn't see her again until her funeral. The thought saddened him beyond belief but he wouldn't and couldn't change his mind. His heart hurt for the family that they would have to bury another loved one so soon but it couldn't be helped.

He wondered how Puff was holding up. He had known for years that Puff harbored feelings for Kevyn but had never acted on them out of respect for him. In the end though, Puff's loyalty to him would win out. He might feel remorse and anger but he would do as he was told.

********

Louise looked around the house where she and her mother passed away so many hours watching the cooking channel. It felt different now and she had no desire to stay here. She meant it when she told Gene that he could have the house, she wanted to leave with nothing but her clothing and a few small trinkets that their mother had given her. She wondered if Kevyn was busy, she really wanted to talk to her about going back with them.

As she straightened up the living room and unplugged everything electrical as their mother had done every time she left the house. Louise choked back a sob of fear, pain and loneliness; she was the one other than Kevyn who would miss her the most.

As she finished picking up and unplugging things she went to the kitchen thinking about Kevyn. She wondered if she would be as lucky as Kevyn in finding someone to love her. She could care less about money, she just wanted to be cared for and about and she had to get away from Pittsburgh.

She made her decision and picked up the phone.

*********

Kevyn looked at the outfit that she bought for the service, it hung in the closet next to the dark suit that Patrick had bought to wear. Because her mother wished it, Kevyn's outfit wasn't black but cream colored. Even at her father's funeral her mother refused to let any of them wear black. To her it symbolized a final goodbye whereas the lighter colors symbolized a new beginning.

Patrick stood behind her with his arms around her not knowing how to make any of it better. The only consolation was that soon it would be over and he would spend every minute with her as she mourned and then they could move forward. They had a few hours before the funeral and she needed to rest even if she didn't think that she did.

"Come on baby, you need to rest." Patrick said as he pulled her toward the bed pulling harder when she resisted. He sat her on the side of the bed and gently pushed her back until she was lying down and then lay down next to her. Kevyn snuggled into him and closed her eyes, he was right, she was exhausted. She was almost asleep when her phone rang.

Patrick almost silenced it but thought better of it and answered it.

"Ummm is Kevyn there?" a soft shy voice asked.

"Louise? It's Patrick, are you alright?"

"I.... I just wanted to talk to Kevyn, is she there?"

Kevyn took the phone from Patrick and listened for several minutes before saying anything.

"Of course you can come back with us! I was planning to ask you but something always got in the way. Yes you can give notice effective immediately. No, don.... Lou, it's alright really. Alright, I'll see you tonight, get some rest."

After she hung up, Kevyn realized that she just unilaterally invited Lou to live with them without talking to Patrick about it.

"I'm so sorry...."

Patrick shushed her, "if you weren't going to ask her I was."

"Really?" Kevyn asked surprised.

"Really and you never have to ask my permission to have someone stay with us." he replied.

"Lou has always been so sensitive." Kevyn said as she settled back into Patrick's arms. "she was always the one that needed to be protected and you have no idea of how hard it was for me to leave her here but I didn't even know what was going to happen once I got to California."

"I'm sure that she understood that." Patrick said rubbing her arms.

"I know but I think I worried about her almost as much as I did mom. I'm glad that she's going back with us."

"I am too, now sleep."

*********

After the repast

Kevyn was relieved when the service and the repast was over. Her nap had long worn off and all she wanted to do was to finish with her mother's business and leave Pittsburgh. She pulled Lou aside and hugged her.

"You're not staying in the house tonight; you're staying at the hotel with us."

"I'll be okay at the house." Lou replied.

"I know that but we'd like for you to stay with us." Kevyn replied.

"I don't have clothes or anything..."

"We'll go to the house so you can get some things, come on please? We'll even watch the cooking channel." Kevyn said.

"What about Patrick, won't he care?"

"It was partly his idea, so will you come?"

"He really won't care?" Louise asked. The reality of it was that she didn't want to stay at the house alone and Kevyn's invitation was an unexpected but welcome surprise.

"Ask him yourself if you don't believe me." Kevyn said as she looked around for Patrick. It was then that she noticed that Gene was gone but she gave it no thought.

Patrick stood off to the side of the room in the clear sight of Clay daring him to approach Kevyn. If Clay noticed he gave no indication of it as he toyed with the cross in his hands. Patrick felt Kevyn's eyes on him and walked over to her putting his arm around her when he reached her.

"I was telling Lou that it's perfectly alright with you if she stays at the hotel with us." Kevyn said.

"Of course it is! I already have the room next to ours reserved for you." Patrick said smiling at her.

Louise was at a loss for words that someone who barely knew her was being so nice to her.

"Thank you." she said softly.

"You're welcome, "Patrick replied. "Are we ready to go?"

********

Puff sat in his car still undecided about what he was going to do. If he killed Kevyn tonight it would be disobeying the order that it not happen until the day after the funeral so what did that mean? The Glock sat on the seat next to him ready to be used. He took in his surroundings trying to figure out the best vantage point, he had made his decision. He picked up the gun and slipped it into the holster under his jacket and got out of the car taking his time so he didn't attract any attention.

He crossed the street and headed toward the hotel and slipped inside. Nodding at the clerk at the front desk Puff made his way to the restaurant where the repast was being held and peeked in. He saw Clay sitting in the back at a table with Gene, Juliet and Barb. Kevyn sat at another table with her man, Louise and Leon with the other tables being filled with people he hadn't seen in years nor did he care to.

Puff slipped back outside and sat in a small enclosed area located to the front of the hotel to wait.

*******

Gene slipped out a full ten minutes before the rest of the family and Clay did. He made his way to his beat up old car and got in and sat for a moment. He opened the glove box, took out the gun and looked at it; he was really going to shoot someone. His only prayers were that he hit the right person and that he wasn't caught.

His hands shook as he checked to make sure that the gun was properly loaded. He wished that he had a drink or something to steady his nerves but then thought that maybe it was just as well that he didn't. He put the gun inside of a pocket that was in the inside of his jacket not realizing how heavy it was until now.

He was really going to shoot someone.

He walked across the parking lot and stood behind a tree that partially hid him from view and waited.

*******

The group stood in the lobby to make plans for the following night.

"Be at mom's by six." Kevyn said. "With any luck we can get through her things in one evening if we all chip in and help."

Kevyn caught Barbara looking at Patrick and shook her head. She already knew what was going on inside of her sister's head and ignored it. After saying goodnight, Juliet, Leon and Barb left together followed by Clay, Patrick, Kevyn and finally Louise.

Patrick froze, grabbed Kevyn and yelled "Down!" as he pulled Kevyn into his body, turned and dropped to the ground reaching out for Louise on the way down. Seconds later the shot came followed by a deep moan of pain. No one moved from where they were not sure if another shot was coming.

Kevyn totally unprepared for the tackle felt her breath leave her as Patrick's much bigger and heavier body landed on top of hers.

"Baby? Are you alright?" Patrick asked.

"I think so... Lou? Lou are you alright?"

Kevyn's heart raced when there was no immediate answer; she breathed a sigh of relief when she heard Louise's soft voice saying that she was alright.

*********

Puff waited until his target came into view. Fortunately the target was walking alone but that could change at any second.

"I'm sorry Clay." he said silently as he aimed and pulled the trigger. In his deep concentration he didn't notice that there were some people already on the ground. After he fired the shot, he put the gun away and walked away from the hotel. He could already hear sirens approaching as he made it to his car, he couldn't be seen here.

*******

Gene swallowed hard and his hands shook as he held the loaded gun in both hands and waited. He saw Clay walking out alone and thanked his lucky stars that he wouldn't accidentally shoot any of his family. He wondered what was happening when he heard Patrick yell and saw him throw Kevyn to the ground. He heard the gunshot and the moan and wondered where it had come from, he hadn't fired his gun.

Not sure of what to do, he ran back to his car, tossed the gun into the back seat and went back to the hotel. By the time he got back everyone was standing except for one person.

******

Patrick stood up, helped Kevyn and then Louise up.

"Are either of you hurt?" he asked.

"I'm winded but I'm alright." Kevyn replied, "Lou?"

"I'm alright too."

Patrick looked around relieved to see that none of the Yancy siblings were hurt, which only left Clay.

"Go inside and wait for the police." Patrick said as he made his way to Clay who was alive but barely. Whoever shot him was a professional and was aiming to kill.

Gene stared at Clay in shock and relief that he hadn't been the one to fire the shot. Patrick looked to see where the wound was and found the entry point at the neck. He looked around but saw no one suspecting that the shooter was already gone.

Clay's hands fluttered as if they were looking for something and remembering the cross, Patrick reached inside of Clay's shirt and pulled it out, yanking it so that the chain broke and placed it in Clay's hands. Clay took his last breath just as the police followed by the ambulance arrived.

*******

Kevyn watched with mixed feelings, she as sorry that Clay died but she was relieved that he no longer posed a threat to her or any of her family. She wondered who would have shot him and then decided that she really didn't want to know. Carrying Clay's secret around for so many years was plenty.

The police interviewed both her and Louise for several minutes before letting them go. After more than three hours they had no suspects. Clay's body was long gone although the evidence that he had been once alive stained the pavement. Eventually everyone was free to go and the police had no suspects at the moment.

********

After the shot, Puff casually walked to his car and drove away. It would only be a matter of time before the police came looking for him once they realized that it was Clay Robinson who had been shot. He headed straight for the airport; his flight for Jamaica was leaving in two hours.

As he drove he took a minute to say a silent prayer for Clay and to wish Kevyn well, she was the first and only woman that he had loved enough to kill for.

*******

Patrick held Kevyn in his lap while they waited for Louise to pack. Her head rested on his shoulder and her hands in her lap. She knew that Patrick would want to know about her and Clay and there was no real reason not to tell him, he couldn't hurt any of them anymore which was why she had kept her mouth shut for so long.

Finally Louise came down the stairs carrying a large suitcase and her laptop that she hadn't used for anything other than games since their father died because they had cut every expense that they deemed unnecessary.

An hour later they were back at the hotel. Louise was in her room wanting to relax after what had been a long and traumatic day. Like Kevyn she fell in love with the huge bathtub and gasped when she saw the various oils and lotions that Patrick had her bathroom stocked with.

"And please feel free to call room service if you need or want anything or us if you don't want to be alone." Patrick said giving the shy woman a hug.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" Lou asked.

"Because you're a nice person, you're Kevyn's sister and you're family." Patrick replied.

Lou smiled back at him, "Thank you and good night."

********

"Thank you for being so sweet to her." Kevyn said as she hugged him.

"I meant every word that I said to her." Patrick replied returning the hug, "now let's get you taken care of." he added as he led her to the bathroom and turned on the water to fill the tub. He poured a generous amount of lavender oil in the water as it filled and began to undress her.

"I can do that." Kevyn said even as she sighed with pleasure as Patrick's hands massaged the nape of her neck.

"I know you can but I want to check for bruises, I threw you down pretty hard and then I landed on top of you."

"I'm fine, really." Kevyn replied, "I was just winded."

"I still want to see." Patrick replied as he helped her out of her clothes. "Have I mentioned how beautiful you are?"

"A time or two." Kevyn replied blushing.

"Is that all?" Patrick teased, "Then I have been remiss in my duties as your mate."

"Yes well, there were other things...."

"You Kevyn Sinclaire are the most beautiful woman that I have ever seen." Patrick said looking down at her, "that beauty isn't just a physical beauty but an inner one as well. You have handled the events of this week with a grace and courage that makes me proud that you claimed me as your mate. I am and will be proud to introduce you to my family as my mate."

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,662 Followers